The estranged Chelsea fan thread

I just read in a Dutch paper that Ajax have difficulties to hide their pleasure that Ten Cate has left...
It's true that they were pathetic under his managership: both in results and in the quality of their football (very important in Ajax).

Ten Cate; Great trainer, bad manager

:l

Blimey, someone pass the prozac....

At least we'll get a good song out of him: "Ten Cate went to mow, went to mow a meadow!" \\:o/

Nice to see you back Vann. I always considered you as one of the most enjoyable people on this forum...
I just read in a Dutch paper that Ajax have difficulties to hide their pleasure that Ten Cate has left...
It's true that they were pathetic under his managership: both in results and in the quality of their football (very important in Ajax).

Hello there gerd!

I thought Ajax maybe happy about him going, I read he isnt the easiest guy to work with...

AT least there will be some consistency then from the Mourinho era, shite football. But will it be successful football? With the squad of players available and money to burn it should be but who knows?

I think that the biggest challenge that faces Grant\Ten Cate is the obvious split in the dressing room between the players that are loyal to Jose and the ones that were glad to see the back of him. It needs sorting out and quickly but with the transfer window still 2.5 months away its testing times for Chelsea.

Ok, he's here now - just announced on the website.

I'm sure he'll do a good job - he was assistant coach at Barca when they were at their best so I doubt he has suddenly decided hoofball is the way to go! (Ajax did sell all their best players in the summer which may have something to do with their poor form?)

If he's going to read the players the riot act from time to time, good for him. As I said before, a lot of our players are a little bit too cosy at the minute and I'd like to see them shaken up - and to add further affect, here is an emoticon: :shaking:

Who cares?he won't be the manager he 'll just do all the training session alongside S.Clark,so if you prefer he will be Avram Grant left hand(S.Clark being the right hand)

That's what I'm saying. I'm confident he'll do great in this function

AT least there will be some consistency then from the Mourinho era, shite football. But will it be successful football? With the squad of players available and money to burn it should be but who knows?

Sometimes one needs a reminder...now i remember again why i never ever come in the Arsenal thread... (don't take it personal, but what i quoted here isn't very fair)
It's not because (granted) your team plays attractive football that other teams can't play good football too...
To prove my point i'm convinced that Sevilla Fc's footabll is far more attractive than Arsenal's...you will be the first to point out that Arsenal have beaten Sevilla recently.

Like i always said in this thread, in a way i admire Chelsea's football under Mourinho

Win first, play good football second. That is how it should be Gerd in my opinion Gerd. I am sure that was Mourinho's stance too.

Win first, play good football second.

Trouble is, José's motto was "Win first, draw second". We didn't get the credit that we deserved for the football we played the first year we won the title, but it went gradually downhill from there, for which I blame him. I won't deny it, we were awful to watch at times last year.

Anyway, I hope this is the first step on the way to a happy medium between winning and more entertaining football, although I'm really beginning to hate that phrase.

Let's face it, football is a simple game in essence - defend well and a bit of 'give and go' up front. That's all ;)

Sometimes one needs a reminder...now i remember again why i never ever come in the Arsenal thread... (don't take it personal, but what i quoted here isn't very fair)
It's not because (granted) your team plays attractive football that other teams can't play good football too...
To prove my point i'm convinced that Sevilla Fc's footabll is far more attractive than Arsenal's...you will be the first to point out that Arsenal have beaten Sevilla recently.

Like i always said in this thread, in a way i admire Chelsea's football under Mourinho

Whatever Gerd thats your opinion then fine. I am not having a pop at Chelsea, just merely stating the general consensus that over the last couple of seasons Chelsea's style has evolved into "shoot from distance or lob it up to Drogba and see what he can make of it". Surely with all the money Chelsea have they should be a winning team AND an attractive one?

Of course other sides play good stuff and not just us. Win first, entertain ASWELL is the holy grail and is something IMO every team should aspire to.

Crush your enemies first for me. Entertain when you're well in front (I wonder if the Arsenal fans thought the same about entertainment 10 years ago)
I remember the way Chelsea played the other season. It was a fantastic mix of skill and power that I thought nobody would ever beat. While Arsenal were good, I always felt they could be kicked off the ball.

I agree with both the above posts.
Clockender is right: entertainmanet should always be a strong factor.
Marukomu is also right, i still remeber the time of boring Arsenal when a 1-0 win was called "an Arsenal score"...
Whatever may be, i think both Arsenal and Chelsea fans have enough reasons to be proud of their teams....
The team i like most in England is Spurs...and my real favourite team in Belgium is always fighting relegation...i would love to see them playing European football even with boring football...boring Brussels...a nice aliteration.

Much as I hate to side with a Gooner (;)), Clockender is right. No need for lowest common denominator football when you have the biggest warchest the world has ever seen.

And Gerd is right too (except when he talks about Spurs ;)), Arsenal have reinvented themselves. They were all that was bad about football in the late 80's and early 90's - we need to drag our name out of the same mud. But to win the Premiership you have to grind a certain amount of results out and that's where "entertaining football" has to be put aside for 90 minutes - my worry is that Roman might not see it that way.

wow Bad news Drogba wants to leave at the end of the season:(
According to France Football http://www.lequipe.fr/Football/breves2007/20071018_160310Dev.html(a really serious newspaper here in France,the same who announced early T.Henry was leaving for Barcelona)

here a quick translation(hope you will understand me) for those who cant read french

Drogba"i want to leave chelsea fc ,something is broken with the club,we all have the impression that the story is finished too soon,every thing was suspended at the president wishes.I don't hide that i feel bad about all this story.I can just say i was really dissapointed by certain people.
From the first day i came i wanted already to leave.And then every summers too.But despite that i'm going to stay 4 seasons,the most beautiful of my career"It means he will be off during the summer:(:(

He adds:"i ve nothing to prove here anymore ,i need to go somewhere else.i've taken my decision and nothing could change it even if Kaka or Ronaldinho Comes"

and he says he dreams only about 4 clubs:Ac Milan,Inter,Real,Barcelona and Marseille.

Last edited:
How can you dream about Inter AND Milan? Drogba is a tosser, no wonder everyone hates him. He was a DECENT player at Marseille but Chelsea kept their faith in him and turned him into a WORLD CLASS player.

I hope he goes anyway because that means Fat Frank and co will only follow suit. Have some of that Roman . . .

Barcelona won't have him - he wouldn't suit their play and they have enough attackers. Inter don't need him. Real Madrid have V.Nistelrooy so Drogba linking up with him could be devastating. I reckon AC Milan would be perfect for him - they REALLY need a proven goal scorer too with fat Ronaldo getting old.

How can you dream about Inter AND Milan? Drogba is a tosser, no wonder everyone hates him. He was a DECENT player at Marseille but Chelsea kept their faith in him and turned him into a WORLD CLASS player.

I hope he goes anyway because that means Fat Frank and co will only follow suit. Have some of that Roman . . .

What a naïve mail...you believe in Santa Claus and Father Christmas too Plan M???

You are talking like a fan...those guys are professional players.
As a professional player i understand him...

It's the story of Paul Scholes who i a big fan of a lower league team (don't remember which team...)...what was he supposed to do????
If he had reasoned like you did, he would never have played for United...
If you are a (good) professional player you don't play for your favourite team just because it's your favourite team.
You should read Gianluca Vialli's book that i'm just reading about the difference between Italian and English football.
In England football is considered "a game"
In Italy it is considered a profession...

Drogba is a great player and a model professional...

Yes, that is because I AM A FAN. Is that a crime? Sorry that I don't know Drogba personally - maybe you could text him and ask him what he thinks of the Chelsea fiasco seeing as you are a pro and all.

What a naïve mail...you believe in Santa Claus and Father Christmas too Plan M???

It's the story of Paul Scholes who i a big fan of a lower league team (don't remember which team...)...what was he supposed to do????
If he had reasoned like you did, he would never have played for United...
If you are a (good) professional player you don't play for your favourite team just because it's your favourite team.
You should read Gianluca Vialli's book that i'm just reading about the difference between Italian and English football.
In England football is considered "a game"
In Italy it is considered a profession...

Drogba is a great player and a model professional...

eh @gerd you seem to read some Really interesting books, could you give an address where i could buy some please?

Drogba being a model professional?i don't doubt it one minute,but for this story, sorry but i don't think his behaviour is professional.
i mean a great professional wouldn't have talked like that so early in the season.A good professional would have waited until the end of the season and give 100 pr cent until the end

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom