Spore

Radiation

Golden Boot Winner
6 February 2006
Widnes
Newcastle United
Spore is a multi-genre "massively single-player online game" under development by Maxis and designed by Will Wright. It allows a player to control the evolution of a species from its beginnings as a unicellular organism, through development as an intelligent and social creature, to interstellar exploration as a spacefaring culture. It has drawn wide attention for its massive scope, and its use of open-ended gameplay and procedural generation.

The full version of the game is due to be released on September 5, 2008 in Europe, and September 7, 2008 in North America and other territories. Spore will also be available for direct download from Electronic Arts on September 7.
A special edition game, Spore: Galactic Edition, is priced at $79.99 USD, and will include a "Making of Spore" DVD video, "How to Build a Better Being" DVD video by National Geographic Channel, "The Art of Spore" hardback mini-book, a fold-out Spore poster and a 100-page Galactic Handbook.

SPORE E3 2008: Developer Walkthrough
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwHb-ny9ICE

E3 2008 Humorous Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMJM-IcwMeA

I downloaded the demo creature creator a few days ago and loved it so I purchased the full demo version for £4.99 (If you buy the game from EA's site you can get that money knocked off the full price as well)

You can also take photo's create animated GIFs and record video footage and upload it to youtube all through the game.

Two Videos I've uploaded featuring two creatures I've made
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4nLZz3ywtY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPTgXT4lBjk

There are also quite a lot of these creatures on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPtR7pm5nTY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogFnhBfO7x4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCUOvBjll_Q

Star Wars AT-ST
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smWonhwlVcU

Bowser
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVU0SOOCOLo

Last edited:
I remember watching this trailer 2 years ago and was worried that it would only be for PC, but these guys are releasing a Mac version in the same time! Can't wait for this!

I think it's amazing that you can save a PNG image from the spore site - put the file into your creatures folder and then it will be created in your game in 3D!

Like this guy... you save the image as the creatures name ...
Grinder
500006852266.png

Dragging this one up.

One word... AMAZING.

What a 'game' - if you can call it that. The animations are amongst the best I've ever seen. You can create (almost) ANYTHING and the game animates it seemlessly.

Great ideas too - though the 1st level is a total rip off of fLOW, but thats no bad thing. Its very relaxing and fun to play.

But when you walk out of the water, its like ANOTHER game (goes 3D). Then I believe the other levels are the same - i.e. different games. There is an RTS level (think is the space level).

Was totally sceptical about this, but I am now astounded!

The creature editor in the game will allow for literally millions of possible evolutions - and more interestingly, each part you add on to your creature changes not only the look, but also the evolution. i.e add hands to pick things up, spikes for more protection, more legs for speed.

I've been playing it for 3 hours straight and I'm still in awe.

Finally, nice little touches, like you can click a button in the editor and your creature is instantly saved as an animated GIF in your 'My Documents' folder... cool :)

Oh, and I have this as a... Pre-Release review promo :)

Will be gettng the Mac retail version without doubt.

quick q how many parts does the creature creator come with, for example in the version i have from EAs site there are maybe 25-30 mouth types .. maybe less. have they added a lot to the full version that you can tell?

quick q how many parts does the creature creator come with, for example in the version i have from EAs site there are maybe 25-30 mouth types .. maybe less. have they added a lot to the full version that you can tell?

Nah, that sounds about right - and so far there are about 10 categories?

You dont start with all the parts though, you have to find them by finding hidden tokens, or defeating another race.

Also, it costs DNA points (got by eating things) to add parts - so for example, arms are 50 DNA points.

So you cannot (I think) just create whatever you want from the get-go.

I've not played the Creature Creator that was released, but if it is the same one thats in the game, then its genius. The ability to change the size of each individual bone is brilliant - means you can create any shape/size you like.

Bet there are some real odd looking blobs out there in Sporeland...?

if you check out spores official site you honestly will be blown away. i was hoping for more parts but seeing as this is from EA and the guys who have miled the sims for all its worth ... more parts will be DLC then

Last edited:
I dunno, think with the parts, the body morpher and the colour/skin tools, you have enough to create something very different to everyone else.

Plus each part animates seemlessly with the rest of the body, which is really impressive in game.

You want the moon on a stick.

im just a little tired of the parts i have as most mouths are either dinosaur style or insect but theres nothing much between the

Right here's a screenshot of the parts you get with the creature creator.

Mouths.jpg

Here are my creations (A few were created by the GF)
http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-KRadiation|2251553358

But my brothers completely eclipsed me with his stuff
http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-AP-MD|2252747818

Yea, looks about right - as I said, in the full game, you dont get access to all of those at once, you have to unlock them...

I take it you evolve your creature all the way through the stages? I.e. I thought as you evolve, you become more human and then even robotic or something as you enter the galactic phase, but I think you stay more or less as you are (obviously with more parts by then).

I like the sound of creating the 'world' in later phases - buildings, vehicles, ships, plants etc. Should be cool.

Loving this game though Rad - recommended for sure!

I take it the creature creator was released as a full product then to populate the world around you. Not sure if everyone knows this but every creature you bump into is from someone in the worlds pc. They will have created it and it will be uploaded to the servers and then sent out randomly to people as an opposing race.

So technically my creatures could be sent to someone's game and ultimately end up destroying his race and conquering his planet.

But then it continues on... our planets are randomly uploaded into other peoples games. so my game might be sent to someone when im 3 days into it and get wiped out as the AI has checked my creatures out and determined they're weak. Or they get checked over and are set as an aggressive locust style creature and will then set off to destroy everything.

And then lets go back to the destroyed game. His game overed planet will be uploaded into someones game and they'll find his world and wonder what happened and then my creatures who destroyed his race will appear and try to destroy them as well.

And it continues on and on. I can't wait!

PC SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

* FOR WINDOWS XP
* * 2.0 GHz P4 processor or equivalent
* * 512 MB RAM
* * A 128 MB Video Card, with support for Pixel Shader 2.0
* * At least 6 GB of hard drive space

* FOR WINDOWS VISTA
* * 2.0 GHz P4 processor or equivalent
* * 768 MB RAM
* * A 128 MB Video Card, with support for Pixel Shader 2.0
* * At least 6 GB of hard drive space

* When launching the game, some Microsoft Vista users may receive a warning about running out of address space along with a link to the Microsoft Knowledge Base. If you see this message, it is recommended that you follow the instructions and go to the website listed in the message to update your system.

* For computers using built-in graphics chipsets, the game requires at least:
* * Intel Integrated Chipset, 945GM or above.
* * 2.6 GHz Pentium D CPU, or 1.8 GHz Core 2 Duo, or equivalent.
* * 768 MB RAM

* Supported Video Cards
* ATI Radeon(TM) series
* 9500, 9600, 9800
* X300, X600, X700, X800, X850
* X1300, X1600, X1800, X1900, X1950
* 2400, 2600, 2900,
* 3650, 3850

* NVIDIA GeForce series
* FX 5900, FX 5950
* 6200, 6500, 6600, 6800,
* 7200, 7300, 7600, 7800, 7900, 7950
* 8400, 8500, 8600, 8800

* Intel(R) Extreme Graphics
* GMA 950, GMA X3000, GMA X3100

* Laptop versions of these chipsets may work, but may run comparatively slowly. Standalone cards that are installed in vanilla PCI slots (not PCIe or PCIx or AGP), such as some GeForce FX variants, will perform poorly. Intel integrated chipsets featuring underclocked parts, such as the 945GU, GML, and GMS, will not perform adequately.

* Integrated chipsets such as the ATI Xpress and the NVIDIA TurboCache variants will have low settings selected, but should run satisfactorily.

* Please note that attempting to play the game using video hardware that isn’t listed above may result in reduced performance, graphical issues or cause the game to not run at all.

* The NVIDIA GeForce FX series is unsupported under Vista.

MAC SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

* Spore requires at least the following:
* * Mac OS X 10.5.3 Leopard or higher
* * Intel Core Duo Processor
* * 1024 MB RAM
* * ATI X1600 or NVidia 7300 GT with 128 MB of Video RAM, or Intel Integrated GMA X3100
* * At least 4.7GB of hard drive space for installation, plus additional space for creations.*

* This game will not run on PowerPC (G3/G4/G5) based Mac systems (PowerMac).

* For computers using built-in graphics chipsets, the game requires at least:
* * Intel Integrated Chipset GMA X3100
* * Dual 2.0GHz CPUs, or 1.7GHz Core 2 Duo, or equivalent

* Supported Video Cards
* ATI Radeon(TM) series
* X1600, X1900, HD 2400, HD 2600

* NVIDIA GeForce series
* 7300, 7600, 8600, 8800
* Intel(R) Extreme Graphics
* GMA X3100
* This game will not run on the GMA 950 class of integrated video cards.

I'm planning to buy this, but I'm not sure if my system can handle it. I've got a Macbook Pro Core Duo, 2.16Ghz, 2gb Ram and an ATI RadeonX1600.

I've got a 24" iMac and it runs so smooooooth :) Running under XP at the moment, but I am buying the Mac version.

Sure you'll be fine. :)

i just got this last night,not sure if it will run well on my system but i will give it a go seeing as its made by the same people who made the sims which i love.
its it a online game?

The Mac and PC versions are on the same disc so you Mac Boot Camp peeps can decide if it plays better in XP or OSX without having to buy it twice or anything.

It's a single player game JM with online elements. Your data will be tracked and uploaded to the servers and shared with the world to populate their universes. Everyone' s game will be completely different in terms of the creatures you meet and where you meet them.

The data will be your own personal race and your planet. So a planet you discover in space or a race on your own planet will have come from someone else's game. The AI will check their creatures out and then evolve them based on the parts used and other bits of data.

You'll also see your creatures split into different groups on your own planet so if you create a dog - you'll have your own dogs that you control but then on the other side of the planet some dogs that the AI has taken and eveloved slightly different. so yours might be peace loving, goods trading decent folk. and the AI's version might be the complete opposite AND vehicles buildings and space ships will reflect the AIs style.

Also you'll technically be able to fly through space and land on planet earth as well if you can find it in our solar system.

-

Oh and anyone who gets it the ;)) way. Doesn't this game have a security check thing where you have to be checked every 10 days or so and if you're running a ;)) copy it will deactivated or something. and if you don't go online with the game so it can be checked the same will happen.

Last edited:
The Mac and PC versions are on the same disc so you Mac Boot Camp peeps can decide if it plays better in XP or OSX without having to buy it twice or anything.

So it does!! And the ;)) file works with Mac too...

Still gonna get it - its on special at Amazon.

Oh and anyone who gets it the ;)) way. Doesn't this game have a security check thing where you have to be checked every 10 days or so and if you're running a ;)) copy it will deactivated or something. and if you don't go online with the game so it can be checked the same will happen.

Has some sort of check, but the ;)) file advises you to never register, use online etc.

Thats why its a purchase for me as a lot of the best bits need online.

Still good for testing purposes. I wouldnt have wanted to buy it without testing the ;)) version :)

yea using the ;) as a testing thing to see how well it plays on a machine. im abit ocnfused as to what the games all about. is this some sort of god type game? wasnt there a similar game like this?

let me get this straight. i can fly into Rads planet and see his creatures?

Last edited:
Just installed it on the Mac and its a beautiful and smooth as before.

Didnt do this yesterday, but instead of starting a new game, there is the option to use the Creator from the get-go.

You can create (sure this is the same as you have Rad, but...), animals (at all levels of evolution from single cell to Galactic), buildings (all types), land vehicles, water vehicles, scenary, flying vehicles and space ships.

Absolutely amazing - all very quick, all superbly animated with customisation etc.

yea im using the ;) as a testing thing to see how well it plays on my machine. im abit ocnfused as to what the games all about. is this some sort of god type game? wasnt there a similar game like this?

let me get this straight. i can fly into Rads planet and see his creatures?

Think so yea - with the full version once you get online. It automatically uploads all your content and it is shared all over the world automatically. You can also add friends and I assume swap stuff with them only.

Should get an Evo web universe where our creatures fight it out for Evo-Web Global Domination! :LOL:

The single player game is about evolving from early life, to conquering the galaxy.

Each stage of evolution appears to be its own game. The first 'level' is the same as fLOW on PSN where you have to eat the other fish to survive and grow, whilst avoiding being eaten.

As you grow, you can 'mate' and then customise yourself with new parts etc as part of the evolution.

After that stage, you get onto land where the game changes to 3D and you can add loads more parts - legs etc. This part of the game is like a third-person action game. You have tasks to do to make you evolve - like befriend or kill certain species.

The later levels include something that sounds like Civ4 and one like a space-themed RTS.

Some people are moaning it is too short, but I think for what it is, its amazing.

I really enjoyed the first level last night, was really soothing :)

Just ordered from Amazon (£26.98)

First PC/Mac game I've brought in ages - normally only get console games :LOL:

Be this and FM2009 I reckon will be my PC collection.

Back
Top Bottom