Sony PlayStation 4

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by Lami, 25 November 2013.

1. Chris Davies

Chris Davies Chief PESsimist Staff

14 May 2003
    Tranmere Rovers
  2. Lami

Lami Niche Football

28 May 2007
    Sydney
    Man Utd, Juve
    Pre-ordered :SMUG:

3. Chris Davies

14 May 2003
    Tranmere Rovers
    Ditto, but Amazon ran out of launch day stock so I had to pre-order from GAME (who are infamous for fucking orders up, taking double the money they're supposed to, having no contact details on the website, and worse).

Slightly nervous... But the camera arrives today (which I've not played with before)!

4. Lami

Lami Niche Football

28 May 2007
    Sydney
    Man Utd, Juve
    Shopto not doing pre-orders?

5. Chris Davies

14 May 2003
    Tranmere Rovers
    They are, but when I was a customer of theirs they were hacked and credit card details were taken, so...

When it's a choice between GAME and ShopTo, you're essentially choosing whether it's safer to get over a canyon by using a tightrope or by being shot out of a fucking cannon.

(Amazon was the helicopter, but that option has long gone...)

6. ThomasGOAL

ThomasGOAL Retired Footballer

15 March 2003
    France
    http://kotaku.com/sources-sony-is-working-on-a-ps4-5-1765723053

7. Lami

Lami Niche Football

28 May 2007
    Sydney
    Man Utd, Juve
    If it means minimum 60fps then I'm in. I'm not getting it just for 4k.

8. Placebo

Placebo Ԁlɐɔǝqo

3 May 2003
    La Manga Del Mar Menor, Spain.
    Sheffield Wednesday
    Apparently there's rumours about MS contemplating something similar, maybe if they hadn't released them with such stupidly outdated laptop type specs we wouldn't be in this situation now where PCs are already being held back because of them.

9. bsmaff

bsmaff International

11 August 2003
    Welwyn Garden
    Exeter City
    4K resolution for games???

I can understand updating the system for 4K for movies and such, but you will never get 4K gaming from a console - not even £500 PC GFX cards can game at 4K, unless your a console gamer and consider 30FPS acceptable.

I would update my PS4 if it meant 4K for display and videos, but the main point is fixing the massive problem the PS4 and Xbone can't do gaming @60FPS in 1080.
    As Placebo said the systems were a joke when they came out, using low end laptop processors and 2 year old mid range GFX cards.

Give it 2 years and 4K Netflix will be the norm and everyone will want 4K video, but even for PC gaming 4K is a dream.

10. Lami

Lami Niche Football

28 May 2007
    Sydney
    Man Utd, Juve
    I thought PS4 can already output 4k videos.

EDIT:

IGN

Last edited: 20 March 2016
  11. Placebo

Placebo Ԁlɐɔǝqo

3 May 2003
    Sheffield Wednesday
    It should worry about doing 1080p @60fps before anything else, neither console gets close to that consistently.

12. Lami

Lami Niche Football

28 May 2007
    Sydney
    Man Utd, Juve
    True. 60fps is more important to me than anything.

13. Lami

Lami Niche Football

28 May 2007
    Sydney
    Man Utd, Juve
  14. bsmaff

bsmaff International

11 August 2003
    Welwyn Garden
    Exeter City
    Saw the new specs of the PS4, it might be worth selling my PS4 now as the current PS4 will be worth about £50 when the new one comes out.

Also would like to see what Microsoft are doing in regards to the updated Xbone, as they now have the power if they wanted to go out and release a truly next gen machine to match PC.

As although many deny they don't care about graphics and that - I bet if Microsoft next year released a next gen machine capable of matching PC visuals wise, but also make sure it is back compatible with the current GEN people would flock to the stores to buy it.

Other things as well hopefully they put in 5G wifi instead of the rubbish they have in the PS4, so it always has to be wired for any decent connection.

Last edited: 19 April 2016
  15. Chris Davies

14 May 2003
    Tranmere Rovers
    I can genuinely understand why Sony are being made out to be a villainous regime - I can see that developers could potentially create "PS4 Old" games that run at 20fps, which on the "PS4 New" run at 60fps, and thus people will effectively be forced into the upgrade.

But...

If I can buy hardware, at a reasonable price, that will run all my current games (thus allowing me to sell the current PS4 and recoup a chunk of the cost), and then play a more graphically rich version of every new PS4 game (and/or something closer to the designer's original vision)... I'm happy with that.

(If I am lucky enough to be able to afford a games console in the first place, surely I can afford to lose £100 or so on the sale of my old one, to fund the new one. People do it all the time with iPhones - and everybody loves Apple.)

When it comes to football games, though, I think it might be pointless:

A) The CPU power increase isn't massive, so AI can't suddenly become magical, which is the most important factor as far as I'm concerned (for offline and online play).

B) Sony are adamant that there can be no "PS4 New" exclusive experiences, so developers wouldn't be allowed to create improved AI for the newer console.

SOURCE: Eurogamer.net - Sony's Plan for PlayStation "Neo"

16. jonneymendoza

jonneymendoza Legend

1 January 2004
    Arsenal
    Might as well just stick to having a PC.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

17. vondave

vondave Stretford End

9 August 2005
    I think it's great personally.

I love my PS4, and have a 4k TV, and don't want the hassle of getting/setting up a great desktop PC in the lounge to play 4k games.

Even If I binned the PS4 I got on launch day, it's given great service and tremendous value over the last few years.

18. Chris Davies

14 May 2003
    Tranmere Rovers
    All the games I play are on consoles (other than Football Manager), and devs like Konami deliver crappy PC ports. PCs might be more powerful but devs optimise their experiences for consoles. So, it's a no-brainer for me - I want the most powerful console anyone can put together, and the Neo will be that.

This was my argument - £350 divided by 874 (the amount of days since launch, including today) is a fraction over 40p per day. Even if you include three years of "PS Plus" at RRP (£120), it's 54p per day.

It's hardly "disgusting" (which I've seen it described as), and all your old games will work on the new system (thus no loss of value there, unlike when you get an entirely new console).

Plus, as I've said, if you can afford a console at all, you can afford to sell it at a loss and reinvest the money into the upgrade so that you're not paying £350 again from scratch.

My only hope is that Sony throw money at developers of older titles (Witcher 3, Fallout 4, GTA 5, Rainbow 6, I'm out of numbers now) so that they graphically upgrade them a little bit. Otherwise they'll have little motivation to, I reckon.

That, and that Sony relax their "no improvements over the original console" rules that would stop the AI in football games being any better on the Neo versions... Even if it means waiting to see the sales numbers first.

Last edited: 20 April 2016
  19. marthchyld

marthchyld GMS

3 March 2011
    I doubt if NEO will be so powerful.
    Could NEO really afford 1080p@60fps with advanced settings such as high texture quality, high shadow map, and various high options of rendering?
    OK, let's set aside those advanced settings, and focus only on 1080p@60fps.
    I can't find or read anything about NEO's 1080p@60fps. Can anyone point it at for me? I mean 1080p@60fps, not just 1080p.

20. bsmaff

bsmaff International

11 August 2003
    Welwyn Garden
    Exeter City
    Looking at the spec increase of the NEO it looks to me that the upgrades to the components will mean the system will be able to display in 4K, and may possibly be able to achieve 60FPS @1080p.
    However I do not think there is enough extra power from the machine to help achieve better graphics.. It will most likely be able to play games @60FPS rather than 30FPS.

It seems as well some people think they will be able to game in 4K, NEO certainly won't allow this unless they start doing 4K remasters of Spectrum games. Even high end gaming PC's can't game @60FPS in 4K,

At present to me it just seems you will be able to watch your Netflix in 4K and Sony are probably aiming to get a console to run games @60FPS, as the extra system specs to me don't look like it will be capable of anymore.

Also the CPU is disappointing the same incredibly piss poor Netbook processor in the PS4 is just getting the next model up the Ghz scale rather than getting a much better performing CPU.

Until specific specs are released and people know how much better the GPU actually is - but this is just my guess work on what is going to be achievable from the NEO.

21. Chris Davies

14 May 2003
    Tranmere Rovers
    If it's not a whole new console, and the only changes are slight bumps in CPU/GPU/RAM speed, it stands to reason the only things devs can really do with that extra power is boost the FPS rates (and in-fact, the rumours which places like Eurogamer suggest are confirmed, all say that Sony are only going to allow graphical differences between PS4/Neo versions rather than offer features only available with the extra horsepower).

22. Lami

Lami Niche Football

28 May 2007
    Sydney
    Man Utd, Juve
    What about the speculated polaris 14nm? Wouldn't that add another boost somehow?

23. BobbyBox

BobbyBox WING NUT!

10 October 2003
    Arsenal
    Anybody tried remote play on a pc/laptop yet? Any good?

24. Chris Davies

14 May 2003
    Tranmere Rovers
    Same as Vita remote play, i.e. adds 100ms+ lag and makes playing the likes of PES / FIFA (especially online) frustrating.

It's amazing technology but the lag is just too much. Guys like Steam with their "In-Home Streaming" technology do it so much better.

25. Lami

Lami Niche Football

28 May 2007
    Sydney
    Man Utd, Juve
    Wii U's streaming to the pad is even better it still astounds me. It's so good the image almost appears first on the pad before the TV!

26. ThomasGOAL

15 March 2003
    France
    [​IMG]

27. Chris Davies

14 May 2003
    Tranmere Rovers
    Awesome, been waiting to hear about it (or rather, see it)!

28. jaygrim

jaygrim TheAllSeeingEye

26 July 2005
    Everywhere.
    Man Utd
    But GT games are so fucking boring. I hope this neo thing is an add on rather than a new console.

29. ThomasGOAL

15 March 2003
    France
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Some new cars :
    Mazda mx5
    Nissan GT-R 2017
    Nissan GT-R GT3
    Audi Sport R8 GT3
    Renault RS01
    McLaren 650S GT3

Last edited: 19 May 2016
  30. Placebo

Placebo Ԁlɐɔǝqo

3 May 2003
    Sheffield Wednesday
    "please take your shoes off before playing the game"...