Skate 2

If they made it so that you you just had to press/hold 1 or 2 buttons to do the most advanced tricks then you would moan that it's too easy and no challenge, like the (awful) Tony Hawk games, and when they are more complicated to do, then you moan that it's too hard to hold all the buttons at the same time.

You can't just expect to go up to a small ramp, get loads of air and do backflips and stuff and be frustrated when it doesn't happen.

At least if it was easy it would be more fun, i'm not on this atm becuase im just doin flips and grinds over and over again becuase the advanced moves are to hard!

I don't want to do backflips and stuff from a small ramp i want to be able to do some other than i mentioned above a bit easier than pressing 4 buttons in under a second

At least if it was easy it would be more fun, i'm not on this atm becuase im just doin flips and grinds over and over again becuase the advanced moves are to hard!

I don't want to do backflips and stuff from a small ramp i want to be able to do some other than i mentioned above a bit easier than pressing 4 buttons in under a second
I don't think easier games are more fun, the opposite in fact - I prefer games to be really difficult because then if you manage to perform something good on it then it's an achievement.
Like with Skate, if you could just do all the advanced tricks easily, then nailing one and landing cleanly would't mean anything, it would just be another trick in an arcadey line.

If the buttons you had to press were in really awkward positions to press at the same time then i'd sort of get your point but it's just the triggers, sticks and face buttons, which are just naturally under your fingers when holding the controller, so with a look at the trick book and a bit of practice, you should be able to get used to a few of the advanced tricks.

Last edited by a moderator:
If i could get some nice air off the big ramps id have more fun - ill fly towards a ramp and then move the stick to jump and aim to time it so im jumping as i hit the top of the ramp like in the first and lose all of my momentum and do a farty tiny jump.

If i could get some nice air off the big ramps id have more fun - ill fly towards a ramp and then move the stick to jump and aim to time it so im jumping as i hit the top of the ramp like in the first and lose all of my momentum and do a farty tiny jump.

yeah that what im talking about, you do little wank jumps so have no time to press all these buttons

I have hit big air but it's that random that im never ready for it so im already up at the highest point before i realise it and then i have no time. It's because theres no direct relation between what you press and how high you go. so it's bloody hard to plan something and then achieve it.

Add to that the game locks you onto certain objects at times without you wanting to - you'll go up a halfpipe with the intention of doing a small jump, then back down and up another hoping to get higher and higher... well as you approach the top you knock the stick and you end up grinding.

It's not a terrible game - it's just set at a difficulty that turns me away. It's like the designers set each challenge by going up a ramp and hitting the pad randomly and then recording what tricks they did and then telling you to do that. And then they throw in extra parts like after you do that trick you then have to manual down the street into a empty pool and then do a 180 kickflip up and out of the pool.

-

Oh and let's not forget how wank the walking is!

Last edited:
...Oh and let's not forget how wank the walking is!

:LOL:

Yeah this is really annoying. Especially on one of the earlier tasks where you only have 1 minute to perform 3 grinds/flip tricks, and each time you have go back up the stairs and run to get enough run up.

I'm actually really enjoying this game. Stuck on that challenge where you have to beat another pro by scoring the most points, then ending up at the end of the track in time. I keep stumbling at the first huge ramp. He keeps bailing every time I jump on to the ramp. So it keeps respawning me to the top again, losing time not to mention the pro racks up about 5,000 points before I even know it.

I jut found out a bit ago that hitting Triangle on PS3 auto bails - It's supposed to get you on and off your board but doing it in mid air makes you get off the board and you crash down - so by any chance are you hitting the Y button on the 360 to bail by accident?

Nope it's as soon as he hits the ramp he bails. I tried it with tricks, without tricks. 7/10 he'll just fall and bail. Even made sure my board was straight on to the ramp.

I'll give it a rest for today and come back to it. Getting a bit sick of the event TBH. Maybe it's my board though?? Might be something to do with the wheels? I don't know that much about skating.

Can't say I'm having trick problems here, even with my old man hands ;) Just getting to a point now where some of the challenges are getting uber tough, also stuck on the bus stop own the spot, haven't figured out a goo way to get enough points there.

Placebo, I'm doing this spot as I type this. There's a ramp in the corner near the bus-stop. Move it so it's at the bottom of the little hill and use it to get on top of the shelter. Grind or manual over it :D

what do you mean manual over it?

it that where you pull down on the stick a little?

I hate how manuals are done - ill pull the stick down sometimes and get nothing, and other times it works immediately.

Nearly completed all the challenges. Thing is, now my save game has just disappeared off my HDD. No sign of it whatsoever. What the hell is going on with my console. I still have all the achievements I have unlocked, just no save game.

Can't be arsed to go through all those frustrating challenges again.

been playing the whole weekend, somehow wears of pretty fast. not sure if i should keep this or do a straight trade for something better...

Placebo, I'm doing this spot as I type this. There's a ramp in the corner near the bus-stop. Move it so it's at the bottom of the little hill and use it to get on top of the shelter. Grind or manual over it :D

Yeah I found the ramp and put it at the end of the slope, I could jump up to the top of the first bus stop but doing tricks off it I couldn't get enough points, I guess I should trick on, grind then trick off, should be enough hopefully :)

Yeah I found the ramp and put it at the end of the slope, I could jump up to the top of the first bus stop but doing tricks off it I couldn't get enough points, I guess I should trick on, grind then trick off, should be enough hopefully :)

Throw a 360 spin in there somewhere, guaranteed points then :COOL:

I couldn't even do the first bloody task in the school where you had to kickflip over first staircase and the nollie over the next. I was kickflipping on the first and then the game was telling me not to kickflip over the stairs. Got peeved right off. My 7 year old had to do it for me in the end!

Bloody frustrating as hell this game as my son is now in the first pool you come to and we don't really understand what we have to do.

I think I know which one you are on about. You have to get a bit of air then whilst in the air hold R2 or L2 and move the right stick so he basically grabs the board. Then you just have to land it.

Rented this to hopefully last me till killzone 2 and I'm glad I only rented it as it's bloody annoying.

My main annoyances

Cameras
The main camera is still on the ground making it screamingly hard to see the layout of the streets and plan jumps over the edges of things. They have a slightly higher camera on offer but the guys head blocks what you're skating towards sometimes to you have to guess how close you are... yeah really handy.

Unhelpful help
They have arrows telling you where to go and even text in the corner telling you what you have to do. But then there is still an element of mystery about a lot of tasks. A big arrow pointing at a ledge and some text saying 'slide and grind the ledge' leaves you wondering what the hell the difference is between a slide and a grind... and then after 20 attempts you do 2 grinds you've done 20 times before and suddenly the challenge is completed. Huh?

Jumps that lose momentum
I can spend a few minutes going back and forth in a halfpipe to get some serious air going, ill come flying down the pipe, aim at a ramp just to the side of the halfpipe i was going back and forth at, jump off it and land about a foot away. ? So leaning forward into a vertical pipe without jumping gets you higher and higher but going up a 30 degree angled ramp at full speed and jumping off the end gets you nowhere?

Other times you can do the same downhill slope into the same ramp 5 times and get 5 different results. Sometimes you go really high, other times really far, other times about as far as a tramp sitting in a trolley would go if he slid down the hill.

Beat this pro who can do a million difficult things at once... oh while avoiding all of the traffic and pedestrians we've just loaded into the area for you!

Not content with having pro's hitting awesome tricks perfectly time after time you also have to dodge idiot AI that walks in front of you or skates on the ramps you're challenged to skate on. And if you keep your eye on the AI they can bail, get up and somehow push off once and go up a halfpipe and get some huge air immediately.

-

The game has some fun to it, but the really tough challenges and annoyances really take a lot of the fun side away for me. No wonder they had the 'unlock everything' DLC out on day one. I hated Tony Hawks for it's unrealistic over the top heavy emphasis on million point combos but I had a lot more fun playing that game than this half arcade half simulation.

Back
Top Bottom