Skate 2

Coopz

Retired Footballer
27 April 2002
The demo's out now and i think its pretty good

I only played a bit of the last one and didn't get into it but this one seems to have got my attention

Its released on the 23rd of Jan

i don't know if this stuff is new too Skate 2 but i like the sound of it

Along the way, it's probably a good idea to explore some of the side competitions available to you, such as downhill races, street contests, and the unfortunately titled tranny contests (riding in pools and such). Throughout the game you'll run into pros, and if you're able to pass the challenges they throw your way, you'll gain access to their gear and sponsors. You can also befriend a few buddies who will help you take care of security guards, remove skate-stoppers, and drain swimming pools whenever you call them.

objects can be pushed and pulled around the world to create new lines or even entire new spots. The cool thing is that while you're able to use them for your own purposes, you can save and upload your spots online for other people to mess around in. Last time out there were pre-defined Own the Spot challenges. This time, it's your spot that you're challenging others to try and claim.

Changes to the environment, big or small, will stay put in the game regardless of how long you play, with the exception of things that would essentially break the world, like putting a picnic table in the middle of the road. If you move something, it'll stay there, and just like in the real world, you don't need to manually save anything -- it just stays.

One last pretty cool thing that I got a look at is the new Goofy vs. Regular competition variant in the game. Here, two teams of three skaters compete at the same time in a total points competition. It can get pretty crazy as all six skaters are running the park at the same time, and being that the two teams start on opposite sides and are basically encouraged to make a break for the middle, it starts off almost like an old fashioned jousting event. The cool thing here is that since you aren't on your own, you can sometimes count on your teammates to help you out if you're having a bad session.

Last edited:
I really liked the first one, and I am loving the Skate 2 demo :D I'm definitely buying this :).

@Placebo - You can adjust the camera angle for replays, i've not heard of or seen a way to edit the in-game camera angle though. It is pretty rubbish sometimes I agree but I managed to get used to it on the first one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hated the camera on the first one. Other than the camera it was great, but the camera was a game-breaker for me :(

It's shit, yes they're obviously simulating some guy following you around and filming you, thus the low angle, the corners cut off, but it's shit and detracts massively from the enjoyment of the game, not to mention the low camera angle makes it difficult to actually see what's more than 15 feet in front of you.......

Googling around I found this comment:

The article in EGM said that you can tilt the camera more than the last one and that there will be a more "traditional" third person view, which I'm guessing will be comparable to the Tony Hawk series.

Hope it's true as it looks shit currently IMO.

Well i didn't like it at first but the more you play the more it just feels right

I hated the difficulty of doing tricks on the first - i found it near impossible to get the sticks do register what i was attempting and in the end i relied on the easy tricks to do everything.

I loved the game and was doing great on it until the challenge set by the big fat bloke and the other one where you have to do like 3 tricks in one on a bench, I just could not do it despite 8,000 attempts and thus never made it to Xgames or anything and sadly gave up on it there :(

You didn't get to the X Games before Rob & Big's challenge? 360 flip to Crooked Grind I believe ;) Anyway, I swear if you complete a few videos and photo challenges you can get to X Games before hand.

I got stuck on the stupid impossible unrealistic challenges left for the magazine and videos

so also gave up

All I need to do to get 1000G is to do online stuff. But it's all Amercans who land in manuals all the time. I just wanna skate, dont wanna do this high score stuff. Let me know if any of you 360 owners are getting it, we'll have a huge sesh.

You didn't get to the X Games before Rob & Big's challenge? 360 flip to Crooked Grind I believe ;) Anyway, I swear if you complete a few videos and photo challenges you can get to X Games before hand.

Exactly no I didn't, I did everything else I could do I think but couldn't get past that and then to X games.

I'm looking forward to a complete change of game

I'm getting tired of shooters

Exactly no I didn't, I did everything else I could do I think but couldn't get past that and then to X games.
I got stuck there too, I had to look at a video on how to do it, I probably never would have been able to do it without looking at it. That's something I hardly ever do as well, look at tips on how to do stuff but I had tried for hours and had no clue.

I'm really looking forward to making up new spots by moving stuff round, and playing spots that other people have made :).

I think with the gameplay is awesome and they added an awesome story to the mix

And out of the many i enjoy the Skate 2 Demo I managed 8mins of free roam after the Demo challenges

Yeah me too mate. If you rattle through the challenges, 8 mins seems just enough and makes you wanna do it again. Cannot physically wait for this game.

I got stuck there too, I had to look at a video on how to do it, I probably never would have been able to do it without looking at it. That's something I hardly ever do as well, look at tips on how to do stuff but I had tried for hours and had no clue.

I'm really looking forward to making up new spots by moving stuff round, and playing spots that other people have made :).

I downloaded the video and had it on my PDA next to me to watch over and over but still couldn't do the bloody thing, maybe it's my old man reflexes letting me down or something ;)

I liked the look and feel of skate, but I only had a loan of the game so never progressed too far. I downloaded skate 2 and as soon as I saw the press "Y" to get off your board I thought nooooo!

For me this is where the tony hawks games started to go down hill. You started getting off the board and climbing up roofs.... just pants, it should be about being on the skateboard.

The thing that turned me off tony hawks was that it screamed that it was a video game. So it was over the top and became more and more abut those insane million + combos you could pull off. I liked that skate went a little bit more into realism and made it so hard tricks were hard to pull off so when something cool happened it was worth showing off and bragging.

It just seemed for me to be too hard at times and too vague with some of the challenges.
They'd say 'leap off the wall onto another wall doing a 180 flip and twist over the hedge. So you skate forwards, blindly leap over the wall because you can't see over the fucker ... miss everything, fail the trick and have to restart it this time aiming left more. You leap over the wall, grind on the other wall... and fail the tick because they want you to land on the wall and skate on it for a second, not grind... though it never told you that. Again you leap over the first wall, eventually land on the second and skate on the top... then you look for the nearest hedge... you attempt a 180 flip twist making sure you moved the sticks correctly... and you end up doing an ollie over it failing.

Last edited:
Well i had another go on the demo last night and had a look at the trick list and fuck me there are alot of tricks in there

I don't think i will ever be able to remember anything other than a ollie and nollie never mind all these air one and grabs

I take it the game starts easy to get you used to the moves then progresses onto the harder moves?

Well i had another go on the demo last night and had a look at the trick list and fuck me there are alot of tricks in there

I don't think i will ever be able to remember anything other than a ollie and nollie never mind all these air one and grabs

I take it the game starts easy to get you used to the moves then progresses onto the harder moves?

Well you only need to do each trick once for the achievement, as with the previous skate I'm sure you only need to be familiar with and able to pull off a dozen or so moves total, there'll be certain tricks which are your "go to tricks" as they somehow get pulled off easily and the movements required are memorable :)

Haha it should have a realism option where if you crash and burn and you bust your legs, it won't play for four weeks and all you get on screen is a Hospital ward...

Der, that's just silly! ;)

I liked the look and feel of skate, but I only had a loan of the game so never progressed too far. I downloaded skate 2 and as soon as I saw the press "Y" to get off your board I thought nooooo!

For me this is where the tony hawks games started to go down hill. You started getting off the board and climbing up roofs.... just pants, it should be about being on the skateboard.
I disagree with you, yes you can now get off the board but it's not like it's in the game so you can climb onto rooftops, hang off ledges etc. It's so that you can go up stairs, position yourself on top of somewhere without rolling down accidentally, so you can move stuff around etc. which I think makes the game more enjoyable, especially being able to go up stairs now (they were annoying on Skate) and moving stuff.

I like breaking lots of bones :)
Yeah me too :D I probably spent more time trying to bail in various (painful) ways on Skate than I did actually skating lines and doing tricks, and no doubt that will be the same on Skate 2 :D.

Back
Top Bottom