Russia World Cup 2018 Thread

Panini are agree
giphy.gif

That is the FIFA Executive Committee. :Y1:Y1:Y1

There should be a Europa League equivalent. Don't know when they would fit it in with the World Cup though.

Well, FIFA have no problem with Qatar holding the next World Cup in December. So I think a smaller nation World Cup for the minnows (excluding superb Iceland and including England maybe :CRY:) can be fitted in somewhere.

There should be a Europa League equivalent.
It's called the Euros... :D

I know what you mean, but we all love club competitions - a major international tournament every two years is enough. As is 32 teams...

FIFA are not fit to run football. It's bad enough giving it to a country that has no history of football and cannot even run the event in the traditional time meaning a move to the middle of the season for the majority of leagues. Pricing real football fans out of going to matches, the list goes on. Unfortunately it's no different to how our own leagues are going where it's all about money and lining the pockets of those in charge.

Yeah sorry I meant a World Cup and then the next best, how the CL and EL work. Excluding the first WC I'm sure Qatar will be the first hosts who have never qualified before. Will need to check.

They will both have to face either Spain or Portugal in the last 16, and while Uruguay could turn one of these over, I doubt Russia can beat much more than cannon fodder.

Having just watched Portugal I'm having second thoughts about Russia being able to beat them. Morocco were very unlucky not to get anything from that, just need someone to finish things off for them. Their approach play is good and they won just about every second ball all game long. It's not as if Portugal don't have other decent players like Bernardo for example but I think they all play in awe of Ronaldo or something because they sure look a one man team going forward.

Last edited:
we can never win comfortably, always have to suffer.
Oh and André Silva is still on the bench, while Guedes plays the whole 90 min. What a joke.

we can never win comfortably, always have to suffer.
Oh and André Silva is still on the bench, while Guedes plays the whole 90 min. What a joke.

An interesting theory @miguelfcp , about your talisman Ronaldo, put forward by @mattmid , Portugal do indeed often look like they are in awe of him and are just waiting for him to do something special.

Not a whole lot more Ronaldo can do except win another major international championship, backing up the Euro 2016 victory, which would put him up there alongside Pele for being the main factor in a nation's footballing triumphs. :APPLAUD::APPLAUD::APPLAUD:

From the sublime Portuguese main man to the disgraceful Iranian keeper, that should be banned. Diego Costa did not even touch his boot and he did a Rivaldo number rolling around like he lost a leg.

VAR gets alot of criticism for not penalising wrestling during set pieces, but he was trying to have the angry man and great forward Costa sent off for nothing. How is that not worthy of a ban ?
:MAD::MAD::MAD:

@WhoAteMeDinner: It was even worse back when Paulo Bento was our manager, even if a player had a clear cut chance he'd still look for Ronaldo to pass him the ball. But yeah, the tendency is still there...

I really feel bad for Morocco. They played the best football in this WC and not had a pen given against Portugal, and somehow didn't score. That's a team with football I enjoy watching.

@Lami I agree, they have been really unlucky to get nothing from the two games they have played. Some great attacking play but just lacking that player to finish it off. I don't know how they have no points from their two games.

Similarly with Peru, I don't know how they lost to Denmark, I hope they can pull off a shock today as otherwise it could be another enjoyable to watch team going out.

@WhoAteMeDinner Iran were annoying because when their actual play was pretty good, they hassled Spain and when they really went for it later on, caused a problem or two. Unfortunately all the other stuff ruined it. I think they could cause a problem for Portugal though if Portugal play like they did against Morocco.

Last edited:
Goal average is coming down. Need to see more. Hoping France and Peru finishes 6-6 :D

I think reality is finally catching up with PES5, more than half of the goals in this WC have been scored through set pieces rather than open play. About time heh?

If Iceland get a good result tomorrow against Nigeria, we could go into the final game against a laid back Croatia which has already sealed their spot. And Argentina would be in big trouble.

But man, Croatia look absolutely fierce. I would like to remind all at this point that Iceland ended up winning the qualifying group with Croatia being second.

The group of death keeps delivering thrills.

Nice friendly draw in our game would be the best option if your team wins tomorrow. We both would go through, no one's morale would be hurt with a defeat and Argentina won't be able to go through even if they score a goal in every minute.

I've been on Team Iceland since day one, but with Argentina's downfall I'm doubling down. Has anyone seen Messi?

When the WC mode came out for fifa, I played it a fair bit, and on one occasion noticed Argentina was bottom of group D after 3 matches with 1 point and I laughed. What the hell. Too bad I didn't take a screenshot or placed any bets based on that.

Nice friendly draw in our game would be the best option if your team wins tomorrow. We both would go through, no one's morale would be hurt with a defeat and Argentina won't be able to go through even if they score a goal in every minute.

Ahhh Germany vs Austria all over again. :LMAO:

The World Cup ball is looking dubious now and perhaps explains all the 1-1 and 1-0 scorelines and all the set piece goals. Peru are a technically good side and almost all their shots yesterday flew over the bar. Some sites have mentioned how slick surfaced and light it is.

Damn you FIFA and Adidas and all your marketing bolloxology, just make a ball that is not a beach ball.
:R1:R1:R1

Sure, I am going to wait for Iceland to beat Nigeria first though, I am expecting a very tough match there.

it will be a dirty 1-0 like felt 90 % of the other games so far:COAT:

This is on track to be as poor a World Cup as 2002 or even the awful 1994, both were won by a very workmanlike and uninspiring Brazil, and that may happen again this year.

I hope the likes of Portugal or maybe even Uruguay or Belgium can break this monotonous cycle and win the tournament in some style. :RANT::RANT::RANT:

Back
Top Bottom