Russia World Cup 2018 Thread

“You stop the game for VAR, there is an elbow. Elbow. Elbow is a red card in the rules, the rules doesn’t say if it’s Messi or Ronaldo. I don’t know if it was this but we have the right to know.”

Carlos Queiroz.

But if there is a single moment when it isn't used people moan. I hate players that give the TV sign. You aren't playing charades!

But if there is a single moment when it isn't used people moan. I hate players that give the TV sign. You aren't playing charades!
I never understand FIFA's stance on this.

Someone motions to the ref saying "give him a card"? Yellow card for you. Someone motions "look at the replay"? Yellow card. Someone questions a decision despite the fact that you've just looked at a SLOW MOTION REPLAY from the perfect angle? Yellow card.

It takes a couple of sending offs and suddenly they don't do that any more.

Why are these refs such fucking cowards? Seriously? I know it's a World Cup and maybe you're thinking "I don't want to be known as the ref who ruined Germany's World Cup" or whatever. So you'd prefer to be known as the ref who became the players' bitch?

Someone motions to the ref saying "give him a card"? Yellow card for you. Someone motions "look at the replay"? Yellow card. Someone questions a decision despite the fact that you've just looked at a SLOW MOTION REPLAY from the perfect angle? Yellow card.

Why are these refs such fucking cowards? Seriously? I know it's a World Cup and maybe you're thinking "I don't want to be known as the ref who ruined Germany's World Cup" or whatever. So you'd prefer to be known as the ref who became the players' bitch?

But on that basis the following players would have been sent off: Ronaldo, eight times and we all know FIFA is a cash machine and the World Cup is its gold mine every four years as it receives all World Cup operating revenue after demanding the host country spend tens of billions on massive white elephant stadiums. Ronaldo could nut someone and FIFA would tell the VAR guys to look the other way. Flippin' mafia. :MAD::MAD::MAD:

@bsmaff Totally agree. With the var ref's supposedly looking at everything how could they possibly not tell the ref to send Pique off. Awful two footed jumping in tackle that would have broken a leg if he'd caught the player first. The ref didn't even give him a yellow!

I think what it needs is for the tennis system to be adopted. Each team can have two appeals per match (you keep them if the appeal is correct, lose one if not). Only the captain can ask for it and any player surrounding the ref after any decision is an automatic booking.

In principle it's a good idea and has seen quite a few wrong decisions corrected but the problem is there are too many not being checked and then there's the ref's like last night who don't give a penalty first of all, then watch it again and decide that it's now somehow a deliberate handball when he's standing next to the player it came off. Or the one (was it Sweden) when the defender clearly got a touch on the ball that was given as a penalty after watching it again!

One of the worst players for going to the ref after every decision is Ashley Young. I can't stand him.

@Chris Davies Totally agree. The two penalties for England on Sunday has possibly seen the grabbing in the box tail off a bit so perhaps that's starting to work. Loved the ref in the Japan v Senegal game, every corner he was telling the players look at the ball or it's going to be a penalty. That's all it needs. Constant penalties over a couple of games and they will stop doing it. Booking for any whining at a decision.

The problem is professional footballers have become inherent cheats. A corner they have to take the ball to just beyond the quadrant. They change the rule so the ball just has to be overhanging the line and they move it a bit further. If it was five times as big they'd still put it just outside it. The ref sprays for the ball for a free kick and they put it just to the side of it or wipe the spray. A throw-in that's not even questionable and they'll appeal like it's for an LBW in cricket. Although there are some awful ref's you have to feel for them because they get no backing from the governing bodies. A simple set of rules like Chris said, this is a yellow, that's a yellow and so on. Do it and you're booked. It would soon stop it.

Nobody remembers the refs. Period.

Without Googling it, can you tell me who was the ref of the Semi-Finals in Brazil 2014?. Or who was the Champions League Finals ref in 2016? And I could keep going.
Whether he is the players' bitch or the guy who ruined the WC for a superstar, he won't ever go down in history for nothing. Unless something special and unique happens such as Zidane's Goku super header to Materazzi in 2006.

I am just glad Italy are not at this World Cup, their reputation will remain intact. VAR 2018, Qatar 2022, 2026 will probably be moved to North Korea due to a Kim Jong Bung.

Would any of you let a FIFA committee member into your home ? :SICK::SICK::SICK:

France's Paul Pogba cost Man Yoo a cool 105 million (euros) and has done bugger all for either them or his country, how much would Espinas be worth ? :?

France's Paul Pogba cost Man Yoo a cool 105 million (euros) and has done bugger all for either them or his country, how much would Espinas be worth ? :?

To be fair his agent hasn't done much for his 20 million either or whatever ridiculous amount it was he got. In what industry do "you" employ someone to advise you and strike a deal and the other side pays for him?? Really do not get it! Why don't the clubs just say, he's your adviser you pay him. If they all did it then we'd get rid of this scourge of football. All that money going straight out of the game. It's bad enough that most of it goes out to the player's already. Unfortunately as it stands they basically pimp out their player to the highest bidder.

Maybe if Pogba spent a bit less time on his hair and more on contributing to a game they might get some return. His ability isn't in question, the application of it however is!

flag-denmark-brick-wall-illustration-danish-textured-background-abstract-grunge-mosaic-vector-116405411.jpg

Iceland gave everything they could. Proud of the lads.

Fighters till the end. And a team with more better periods of play in this match, nevermind Croatia fielding almost B team. Too bad Iceland lost vs Nigeria in previous round.

Badelj was man of the match ... guy does not get a minute in first two rounds and then turns the tide by scoring the first goal at 0:0 and then does that again - at 1:1 steals the ball in front of the opposition box and assists for the second goal ... all that while playing as DMF. Unsung box to box hero.

@gabe.paul.logan The weight of carrying the other ten around probably!

That doesnt justify that he is either in a terrible form or in terrible mood to play in this team. Because you cant see anything from him literaly. No successful solo moves, no positioning to help the others hes just kinda....there.

Meanwhile Ronaldo is standing out from Portugal for example. But the same you could say about Ibra in the past in Sweden.

Just hope that Messi changes for the better in the knock outs. And hope we will see some magic from him finally.

@gabe.paul.logan Yeah you're right, I was being a bit facetious :) His goal was brilliantly taken but apart from that his involvement was few and far between. He didn't once come and show for the ball.

I was thinking during the game it's similar with Portugal it's as if the team has no game plan other than relying on the one player. The difference being as you say that Ronaldo is stepping up and producing

Also as im a nobody but i wouldnt spare Di Maria and Dybala in favour of Higuain....just cant spare that firepower if the rest of the team is weak anyways. I would have played any of these tonight:

----------------Armani---------------
Mercado-Otamendi-Rojo-Tagliafico
--Perez---Mascherano---Banega--
--------------Dybala----------------
--------Messi-------Aguero---------

----------------Armani---------------
Mercado-Otamendi-Rojo-Tagliafico
--Perez---Mascherano---Banega--
---Messi----Aguero----Di Maria----

Can't help but like and congratulate this Icelandic team.

Also the Moroccans were very unlucky. Would've loved to see both of them in the 16s.

Back
Top Bottom