Russia World Cup 2018 Thread

Hannes Thór Halldórsson > De Gea + Karius :PP Liverpool should buy him, not need Alisson or Oblak.

Feel bad for Peru too very very unlucky for team, maybe after long time to return WC give them more pressure especially when Cueva took penalty kick (when he copied Neymar run up before shoot i feel he'll miss it :CURSE:) so i'm disappointed with Sampaoli, need more big change from him: Dybala, Banega shoud start or maybe Lo Celso .... Next match versus Croatia not easy and i won't surprise if Argentina out of group :)

Matchday 4

Costa Rica 1-1 Serbia

Germany 2-1 Mexico

Brazil 2-0 Switzerland

WC 2026 with 48 teams & 16 groups, only 1st position go to next round. And of course like mattmid said qualify so ... but opening chance for increase"weak team" from "small region" like Africa; Asia :LOL:. Hope so my country can get one ticket in this lol.

My prediction for WC Day 3

France 2-1 Australia
Argentina 1-1 Iceland :D
Peru 0-1 Denmark
Croatia 3-0 Nigeria
:CONFUSE::WORSHIP::APPLAUD:

Anyone else noticed that the added time for the second half is always 5 minutes?

Also why are the Serbian players begging for a red card in a game they are winning

@Isslander: yeah I noticed that too...weird.

@WhoAteMeDinner: It's all for the aerodynamic benefits! I'm still very suspicious of our match against Morocco. Our defense is not looking great and Morocco's offense is quite dynamic, even if we're a much better team I see trouble for us.

So far all the big contenders have drawn/loss except for France who played awfully and didn't deserve to win at all vs. Australia. Germany was terrible today, Brazil was almost as awful.

The ref had to push Kroos out of his personal space but still no card. Amazing.

I am actually loving how old school all the refs have been so far in this World Cup. The games are flowing very well still with few needless stoppages. I think they even waved off two penalties today in the Costa Rica / Serbia and Brazil / Switzerland games that would have been given in most soft European leagues.

Pierluigi Collina is in charge of all the refs, so no surprise that things are running smooth. :KING::KING::KING:

@Isslander: yeah I noticed that too...weird.

@WhoAteMeDinner: It's all for the aerodynamic benefits! I'm still very suspicious of our match against Morocco. Our defense is not looking great and Morocco's offense is quite dynamic, even if we're a much better team I see trouble for us.

So far all the big contenders have drawn/loss except for France who played awfully and didn't deserve to win at all vs. Australia. Germany was terrible today, Brazil was almost as awful.

@miguelfcp , thought as much, he leaves nothing to chance, a true professional. :SAL::SAL::SAL:

Almost of my friends lost more more money because of Mexico & Switzerland :BRICK:but two teams deserved with results & no doubt :YES:

Matchday 5

Sweden 1-0 Korea Repbulic
Belgium 6-0 Panama
Tunisia 1-2 England

@WhoAteMeDinner I agree, the refereeing on the whole has been excellent. Lots of advantage played, no falling for the throwing themselves to the ground brigade and generally VAR's been pretty quickly dealt with.

Sweden 1-2 South Korea
Belgium 3-0 Panama
Tunisia 1-2 England

I am actually loving how old school all the refs have been so far in this World Cup. The games are flowing very well still with few needless stoppages. I think they even waved off two penalties today in the Costa Rica / Serbia and Brazil / Switzerland games that would have been given in most soft European leagues.

Pierluigi Collina is in charge of all the refs, so no surprise that things are running smooth. :KING::KING::KING:

Yeah I realise that now, watching the Sweden Korea match which has been quite whistle heavy

This is turning out to be quite a strange World Cup.

Germany V Mexico has been the best game so far.
Now watching Sweden V South Korea as I type this.

Also, been meaning to ask, how is it in your countries? Are you allowed to watch games at work? If your country plays during working hours, do they let you leave early or something?. I'm very interested in this cultural things.

Last edited:
I am a self employed sheep farmer so I just take a break when I want :COOL: I would be working now though if the weather were better.
Iceland pretty much shuts down when we are playing, the Argie match was on a Saturday but many of the shops still open just closed during the match, what would be the point anyway, they aren't getting any business.

I am a self employed sheep farmer so I just take a break when I want :COOL: I would be working now though if the weather were better.
Iceland pretty much shuts down when we are playing, the Argie match was on a Saturday but many of the shops still open just closed during the match, what would be the point anyway, they aren't getting any business.

Wait a minute daaawg! You from Iceland? Man oh man... congrats on your defense man!
Even though I'm an Argie myself, I gotta hand it to ya. You did your job (and I hate you for it)!.

Also, been meaning to ask, how is it in countries? Are you allowed to watch games at work? If your country plays during working hours, do they let you leave early or something?. I'm very interested in this cultural things.
England's draw has been really lucky* for us 9am-5pm guys (the majority of the country) - the two weekday games (Tunisia and Belgium) are at 7pm local time, which is plenty of time to get home after work, and the Panama game is on the Sunday (1pm local time).

*Lucky in terms of timings I mean - we'll still draw 0-0 with Tunisia, get beat 3-0 by Belgium and end up going out on goal difference (if we're lucky) after the result against Panama...

I've had two different jobs in the last ten years and I've experienced two approaches if England play during the working day - A) you're allowed to put a stream on your monitor (a legal terrestrial TV stream, e.g. BBC iPlayer) and "watch while you work" (nobody actually works), and B) you're just not allowed to watch it full-stop.

I imagine it'd be different if we managed to get past the group stage...

England's draw has been really lucky* for us 9am-5pm guys (the majority of the country) - the two weekday games (Tunisia and Belgium) are at 7pm local time, which is plenty of time to get home after work, and the Panama game is on the Sunday (1pm local time).

*Lucky in terms of timings I mean - we'll still draw 0-0 with Tunisia, get beat 3-0 by Belgium and end up going out on goal difference (if we're lucky) after the result against Panama...

I've had two different jobs in the last ten years and I've experienced two approaches if England play during the working day - A) you're allowed to put a stream on your monitor (a legal terrestrial TV stream, e.g. BBC iPlayer) and "watch while you work" (nobody actually works), and B) you're just not allowed to watch it full-stop.

I imagine it'd be different if we managed to get past the group stage...

Well, I've always thought England is the most similar to us (ironically) in football matters. It's quite similar around here.
But when Argentina plays there's not a soul in the streets. Not even a car passing by. So most local stores and shops close their doors and only open IF (and that's a big if) a customer needs something. Security measures.

But when Argentina plays there's not a soul in the streets. Not even a car passing by. So most local stores and shops close their doors and only open IF (and that's a big if) a customer needs something. Security measures.
Same here - except for the shops closing, all the shops stay open (there'd be outrage if some old lady couldn't get teabags from her local supermarket when the match was on).

You see the odd car go past too - you'll have the occasional non-football fan who decides to get their shopping done in peace... But in general, the streets are empty!

Actually, you've just reminded me of a story about the national power supply and the strain that's going to be put on it tonight:

6EDKtK2.png

Wait a minute daaawg! You from Iceland? Man oh man... congrats on your defense man!
Even though I'm an Argie myself, I gotta hand it to ya. You did your job (and I hate you for it)!.

Just two years ago, we drew 1-1 against Portugal in the first game of the group, a few weeks later Ronaldo and Co lifted the Cup... So no worries, you can still go far

Just two years ago, we drew 1-1 against Portugal in the first game of the group, a few weeks later Ronaldo and Co lifted the Cup... So no worries, you can still go far

Yeah, I'm well aware.
However, I have 0 confidence right now. Sampaoli looks like he's completely lost.

Well after Sweden v South Korea I think it's fair to say I have not just watched the winners of this tournament.

I've just read that the stadium for England's game tonight is being plagued by flies - thought nothing of it until I saw clips like this and also this of broadcasters struggling to talk to camera, and photos like this (stock image but perfectly representative):

5500.jpg

Apparently a few commentators are taking towels to wear over their heads to protect themselves from them. Unbelievable - why us...

Watching England is such hard work. Excellent start, playing some great football and a good first half over all, then we drift and stop playing with any purpose until Rashford and Loftus-Cheek got us going again. Having Kane is going to be a key thing for us I think, not many of the teams have a top class striker who puts his chances away or is in the right place at the right time. In the end it was unlucky for Tunisia who stuck at it well after their nervy start. Will Sterling ever perform for England?

Ben Amor giving England a strange corner in a killer time, we all hate throwing the ball but even Ronaldinho the god of skills would send the ball to the opponent's half in that situation.

Tunisia were a disgrace which is a shame because some of their play was good. My view of the penalty was if they give those, they need to give them all, only they didn't. On what planet is it OK to spear someone to the ground?
Being optimistic I actually predicted 2-1. I'm glad we won because we could have been on about the decisions against us for years and I'm sick of England using different excuses every time.
Important win and I'm looking forward to Panama.

Back
Top Bottom