Russia World Cup 2018 Thread

Anyone from England's side of the draw could get through to the Final.

England, Croatia and Columbia are the strongest teams, so I reckon Russia will go all the way as 11 men in your own half worked well for them.

England, Croatia and Columbia are the strongest teams, so I reckon Russia will go all the way as 11 men in your own half worked well for them.

Well FIFA and VARCE will sort out the easy passage for the Ruskies. :SHAKE::SHAKE::SHAKE:

@Chuny You forgot Lo Celso & Correa :). At Atlético Madrid he often plays like winger, his dribble & speed very good but only problem is stamina also crossing but can be prove in near future, he will be beast when coming like substitution, he also play as striker but Argentina have so more striker right now and i think he should play at wing. Lo Celso too: good passing, good vision, shooting not bad but fuck off Emery used him in CDM :D. He can play in CM/CAM but i think CM's good position for him.
Icardi
? - Dybala- Correa (also left wing)
Lo Celso - Ascacibar
Tagliafico - ? - ? - ?
?
About defending i only see Tagliafico deserved one slot in main line-up, Ascacibar's great talent. When see him play at Stuttgart he always compared with Sami Khedira in the past: unlimited engine, tackle good but he's dirty player like Gattuso :P so why is problem when Diego Simeone coach. Sampaoli threw some good players at home and never used good players on the bench :TD:

@Chuny At Atlético Madrid he often plays like winger, his dribble & speed very good but only problem is stamina also crossing but can be prove in near future, he will be beast when coming like substitution, he also play as striker but Argentina have so more striker right now and i think he should play at wing.

Not bad Player I agree, but he will be the heir of Higuain considering how many great chances he misses :D

@WhoAteMeDinner I wonder if they'd have given a penalty if it hadn't been an own goal, surely they'd have had to.

I thought Spain seemed to completely run out of ideas. It was a game where the could have done with Fabregas who was sitting in the bbc studio!

This WC of goalkeepers so far: Ochoa, Kasper Schmeichel, Subašić, De Gea :P, Akinfeev & Cho Hyun Woo

Well FIFA and VARCE will sort out the easy passage for the Ruskies. :SHAKE::SHAKE::SHAKE:

Also, drugs.

I recently watched that documentary, Icarus, about the doping in Russian sports, and the level of cheating that went on there is absolutely insane. They should not be allowed to host any significant sport event for a loooooong time.
I imagine it was too late for Fifa to change things when the whole thing was revealed, or they had already spent all their bribes and couldn't pay them back.

Last edited:
Yeah very naive unfortunately, they really didn't deserve to lose that like that. A great effort showing again what a weaker set of individual players can do if they are a team.

Also, drugs.

I recently watched that documentary, Icarus, about the doping in Russian sports, and the level of cheating that went on there is absolutely insane. They should not be allowed to host any significant sport event for a loooooong time.
I imagine it was too late for Fifa to change things when the whole thing was revealed, or they had already spent all their bribes and couldn't pay them back.

I've seen that, what a great documentary that was. As you say totally unbelievable what they did to change the samples with clean ones. And the guy is sports minister still isn't he.

Yeah very naive unfortunately, they really didn't deserve to lose that like that. A great effort showing again what a weaker set of individual players can do if they are a team.
That’s how I like to be my matches in PES! Prefer the draw though. ;)
edit: is that off topic in here?! :D;)

Columbia gonna make it tonight?! Everything is possible these days...
SWESWI is a tough one too! Just can’t predict... but I’ll guess SWE is gonna make it. Looks like it’s a TEAM.

Last edited:
@WhoAteMeDinner I wonder if they'd have given a penalty if it hadn't been an own goal, surely they'd have had to.

I thought Spain seemed to completely run out of ideas. It was a game where the could have done with Fabregas who was sitting in the bbc studio!

i missed the first half of Spain vs Russia, 2nd half after about 10 mins i was focusing solely on Koke, i have yet to figure out what role he has, he plays like a 3rd Centre Back, 90% of his passes are either to Ramos or Pique, and then they have Busquets in Midfield also, who never joins an Attack

reminded me of Iceland vs Argentina, where they played with Mascherano and Biglia, vs 11 defenders basically

This one has been pretty unpredictable and has a decent amount of goals. I've enjoyed it anyway.

Against Spain, who had no plan B and lacked guile in the final third. I don't think Russia will be able to play that way against any other teams left in the tournament. Got a feeling we will see a Belgium v Croatia final. Anybody but Brazil would be great as far as I'm concerned.

If/when we get beat by Colombia tonight we'll get accused of arrogance but the reason for not wanting to be on the other side of the draw is due to the opposite of arrogance. We'd just like a bit of hope.
This was one of the worst England squads ever and certainly the most inexperienced but this plus their attitude and desire to play the right way has rekindled something, a bit of pride, a bit of hope ...but the spectre of having Brazil and France to play to even get to the final would give us no hope at all.

IMO there isn't a difference between going out in the last 16 or going out in the QF. Thus having a decent chance of reaching a SF - which is itself a special occasion due to the prize of a WC Final, makes the gamble worth it.

Why am I still watching this. Why isn't the game already over. I'm still fuming.

Back
Top Bottom