Rock band 3

pboreham

Kick. Snare. Hat. Ride.
5 August 2002
C*lchester
Southend Utd
I think everyone knows how much i love these games!

Well, details of rock band 3 have been announced today. From what I have seen and read;

- new instrument, a keyboard as expected. 25 keys and can be played standing or seating

- new 'pro' mode, which will mean being pro instruments, new guitar and drums. Guitar will have keys on every fret (yes!!) and the drums will have 3 cymbals. Be interesting to see how this is implemented. EDIT: Eurogamer also claiming the guitar will have 6 'strings' and the highways will be adjusted to a more realistic notation of real music, so you could actually learn how to play the song. I know Dhani Harrison was talking about this when he was helping with the Beatles, so could be true...

- new guitar features such as trills.

- vocal harmonies

- up to 7 players playing at once

- drop in and drop out play

- keyboard highway looks really good as you go ip through the difficulties. Going to be really challenging - some songs shown that take advantage of this were bohemian rhapsody (absolutely epic) and break on through by the doors.

This looks like it will take music gaming to the next level. I've read a bit about the new guitar hero and that sounds like it's stood still plus the soundtrack looks awful so far.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing the info! I like playing Rock Band 2 with my wife, but I'm a bit skeptical about the new instruments. Until I see it in real life and I can "touch" them and play I won't be sure if I will buy it or not. But it sounds great up to now and a much better approach than activision milking again the same cow.

A bunch of the songs have been announced:

2000s
Combat Baby -- Metric
Dead End Friends -- Them Crooked Vultures
Get Free -- The Vines
Lasso -- Phoenix
Me Enamora -- Juanes
Oh My God -- Ida Maria
Portions of Foxes -- Rilo Kiley
The Hardest Button to Button -- The White Stripes

1990s
Been Caught Stealing -- Jane's Addiction
In the Meantime -- Spacehog
Plush -- Stone Temple Pilots
Walkin' on the Sun -- Smash Mouth

1980s
Crazy Train -- Ozzy Osbourne
Here I Go Again -- Whitesnake
I Love Rock and Roll -- Joan Jett
Just Like Heaven -- The Cure
Rainbow in the Dark -- Dio
The Power of Love -- Huey Lewis and the News
Sister Christian -- Night Ranger

1960s-1970s
Bohemian Rhapsody -- Queen
Break On Through -- The Doors
Crosstown Traffic -- Jimi Hendrix

The tracklist looks brilliant up until the 2000s. Bar The White Stripes and Them Crooked Vultures I don't recognise any of those modern songs. And I'm supposed to be part of the "youth of today" :LOL:

The keyboard looks really interesting, I wonder how well my actual piano skills will translate to the game.

A bunch of the songs have been announced:

The tracklist looks brilliant up until the 2000s. Bar The White Stripes and Them Crooked Vultures I don't recognise any of those modern songs. And I'm supposed to be part of the "youth of today" :LOL:

The keyboard looks really interesting, I wonder how well my actual piano skills will translate to the game.

Cool, thanks for that. The 1990s setlist is shaping up superbly and nice to get more 'Vultures in there - I was hoping for the full album in RB2 after their earlier one song release. "Nobody Loves Me, And Neither Do I" would have been epic. "Get Free" by the Vines is a good tune!

I think this will finally cement RB as THE franchise over any other music game. I dont think Activision are doing any more GH anyway after this one and it looks like its going to show in their game, which has moved closer to stupid radio-friendly-indie-rock.

From the video I saw, the keyboard highway looks pretty accurate and with their new 'Pro' mode, I wouldnt be surprised if you end up playing note-for-note on the Keyboard on the harder levels.

Oh my days!! RB3 does have a six string guitar with multiple fret buttons - 102 buttons in all.

How totally fucking awesome!

rb3-official-2010-06-1118-13-05-rm-eng.jpg

jaygrim; said:
I'm sure a game is coming out with a real guitar.

Yea there is... Called power rock or something.

Guitar is an actual 6 string that can also be plugged into an amp away from the game. I don't like the look of it though, the gameplay looked like rock revolution and it was nowhere near looking polished. Also, as the guitar has real strings, they would either break or sound really twangy whilst playing. Though when in the game, you clip in a bridge under the strings to stop them making to much noise and to deaden them.

Rb3 offering looks more professional for sure.

I anticipated this idea last year with a guitar with strings, I really like this idea and I think it'll work out perfectly. However, I'm not a huge fan of the track list so far to be honest that maybe because I' didn't live through those years of music.

I anticipated this idea last year with a guitar with strings, I really like this idea and I think it'll work out perfectly. However, I'm not a huge fan of the track list so far to be honest that maybe because I' didn't live through those years of music.

Yup, its something I've dreamed of too and I called it before GH:WT, when I said they should use a touch pad (like a laptop mouse pad) for the frets, so we could touch them anywhere and 'bend' strings etc.

The setlist is looking epic, it really is! Not sure how old you are, but perhaps you'd prefer the GH6 setlist, which is more indie-kid-friendly-pop-rock - I think its the rule that every band name has to start with the word 'THE'... :)

The way the setlist is shaping up at the moment, I can see them adding some truly amazing songs to it. I bet they are trying their asses off for some Led Zep!

Hold the phone! That guitar above is the MadCatz one... THIS is the official one, with REAL strings.

rock-band-3-squier-controller.jpg

Un-fucking-incredible-able!

I've been reading up some more on it... most of the recently released DLC and all the RB3 songs and DLC will have drums pro-mode, meaning you can use the MadCatz cymbals that some of us have already (glad I didnt sell mine!) or the new drum kit, and songs actually differentiate now between toms and cymbals (noted with a new cymbal icon on the highway).

Also, as you progress through the Pro mode on guitar, you WILL have to play the songs pretty much note for note on real guitar. Once you learn the song, Harmonix are saying you could then play that song on the guitar away from the game (same with Drums and Keyboard).

If this is all true and done right, this will pretty much become my all-time favourite game.

Yup, its something I've dreamed of too and I called it before GH:WT, when I said they should use a touch pad (like a laptop mouse pad) for the frets, so we could touch them anywhere and 'bend' strings etc.

The setlist is looking epic, it really is! Not sure how old you are, but perhaps you'd prefer the GH6 setlist, which is more indie-kid-friendly-pop-rock - I think its the rule that every band name has to start with the word 'THE'... :)

The way the setlist is shaping up at the moment, I can see them adding some truly amazing songs to it. I bet they are trying their asses off for some Led Zep!

I'm not a fan of a lot of the bands in the 2000s, I'd love to see bands like Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Stone Temple Pilots, Sound Garden and Bush! But I would also like to see some modern ones such as Audioslave, Muse and Oasis. I know many of these bands have featured on previous games, but those are the type of bands I'd like to see more of.

Honestly, I'm more of a 90's and early 2000's person.

Edit: That guitar looks fantastic, I just hope the price tag wont put me off! Maybe it could be a christmas present I guess.

I'm not a fan of a lot of the bands in the 2000s, I'd love to see bands like Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Stone Temple Pilots, Sound Garden and Bush! But I would also like to see some modern ones such as Audioslave, Muse and Oasis. I know many of these bands have featured on previous games, but those are the type of bands I'd like to see more of.

Honestly, I'm more of a 90's and early 2000's person.

Edit: That guitar looks fantastic, I just hope the price tag wont put me off! Maybe it could be a christmas present I guess.

Well, those bands have been pretty well represented in past RBs, so hopefully they'll continue to add more of the back-catalogue.

They're the bands I love too, so I wouldnt argue with any of those going in.

Though listening to a bit of Neil Young this morning, I think some of his songs would be superb in RB...

OMG! Check out Engadget - they have a hands on with the guitar (and keyboard) in Pro Mode.

Now totally confident this will work well with how they have done the charting. And then to allow simultanious Amp play-through with no penalty for doing a bit of freestyle.

Harmonix really have done what they set out to achieve, I'm in musical heaven!!

http://www.engadget.com/video#player

Haha yeah this is one of the first times I've ever been really excited for a guitar game. I got the first ever Guitar Hero when I was just a child, then as I got older just bought all the Guitar Heroes - but I never really anticipated releases. The new guitar will add a new dimension to the game, and if they can release track packs often like they have done then it'll be truly the very best of all series.

Haha yeah this is one of the first times I've ever been really excited for a guitar game. I got the first ever Guitar Hero when I was just a child, then as I got older just bought all the Guitar Heroes - but I never really anticipated releases. The new guitar will add a new dimension to the game, and if they can release track packs often like they have done then it'll be truly the very best of all series.

Please tell me you mean Rock Band!? :LOL:

The last GH was really poor (saved by a couple of decent tunes like Sultans of Swing) and the new one looks to have done nothing more and the soundtrack is awful.

RB3 is going to stick a nail in the coffin of all other music games.

Unfortunately living in Asia I couldn't buy Rock Band until they made Beatles: Rock Band. I've always wanted to try it out but never had the chance, so Guitar Hero has been the only game I was able to play until last year.

But I loved Beatles Rock Band even though it took a while to get use to after playing GH for over 4 years.

I'm sure a game is coming out with a real guitar.

Yea there is... Called power rock or something.

Guitar is an actual 6 string that can also be plugged into an amp away from the game. I don't like the look of it though, the gameplay looked like rock revolution and it was nowhere near looking polished. Also, as the guitar has real strings, they would either break or sound really twangy whilst playing. Though when in the game, you clip in a bridge under the strings to stop them making to much noise and to deaden them.

Rb3 offering looks more professional for sure.

No, what I mean is literally just get a real guitar. There are plenty of CDs out there with backing tracks to play along to and the sense of accomplishment is so much more with a real instrument. Not to mention you can't do half the things you can with a real guitar.

For me the first Rockband was the last game where plastic instruments were fun to play. The franchise doesn't seem to have gone anywhere since they started adding new improved instruments. Sure, they seem fun at first, but it's still the same rhythm game.

Next batch of songs announced...

* "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" - Tears for Fears
* "Rock Lobster" - The B-52s
* "Foolin'" - Def Leppard
* "Beautiful People" - Marilyn Manson
* "Hey Man, Nice Shot" - Filter
* "Cold as Ice" - Foreigner

Little bit 'meh', but when you then think about playing them in Pro mode, its a whole new game.

Tears for Fears will be cool...

Rest of set list leaked... and its EPIC!!!

* The Bronx - "False Alarm"
* Lynyrd Skynyrd - "Free Bird"
* Beach Boys - "Good Vibrations (Live)"
* Tegan and Sara - "The Con"
* Riverboat Gamblers - "Don't Bury Me... I'm Still Not Dead"
* The Police - "Don't Stand So Close to Me"
* Steve Miller Band - "Fly Like an Eagle"
* Blondie - "Heart of Glass"
* The Who - "I Can See For Miles"
* James Brown - "I Got You (I Feel Good)"
* Ramones - "I Wanna Be Sedated"
* John Lennon - "Imagine"
* Big Country - "In a Big Country"
* Primus - "Jerry Was a Race Car Driver"
* Echo and the Bunnymen - "Killing Moon"
* Dover - "King George"
* Raveonettes - "Last Dance"
* The Sounds - "Living in America"
* Phish - "Llama"
* Faith No More - "Midlife Crisis"
* Paramore - "Misery Business"
* Queens of the Stone Age - "No One Knows"
* At the Drive-In - "One Armed Scissor"
* The Muffs - "Outer Space"
* Golden Earring - "Radar Love"
* Amy Winehouse - "Rehab"
* Elton John - "Saturday Night's Alright (For Fighting)"
* Deep Purple - "Smoke on the Water"
* The Smiths - "Stop Me If You've Heard This One Before"
* Hypernova - "Viva La Resistance"
* Pretty Girls Make Graves - "Something Bigger, Something Brighter"
* Swingin' Utters - "This Bastard's Life"
* Dire Straits - "Walk of Life"
* Devo - "Whip It"
* Warren Zevon - "Werewolves of London"
* Flaming Lips - "Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots Pt. 1"

So many superb songs - I'll start at the top for me, Faith No More - Midlife Crisis is my favourite song of all time and I've got cold shivers sitting here believing its going to be in the game!! Unbelievable! Great keyboards in that too, so it makes sense.

Some of the others are just going to be brilliant - Good Vibrations will be a riot, Imagine on the piano will be out of this world too! Even Yoshimi will be fun to play.

Shame to see a few repeated from earlier games, but then who DOESNT like Know One Knows, or Smoke On The Water?!

Hyper-excited for this one :)

I'm right in thinking that my US DLC wont work on a UK version of RB3? Looks like another import for me.

I'm right in thinking that my US DLC wont work on a UK version of RB3? Looks like another import for me.

Wouldnt have thought so... I'm gonna buy the UK Pack (with the real instruments) and then import the disc version from stateside.

Back
Top Bottom