Resistance 2 to feature 60-player online, 8-player co-op, 2 campaigns

gi-feb-resistance2.jpg

8 player, story-driven online co-op
Single player campaign is different from co-op campaign
60 player online PvP
Classes for online: Heavy, Special Ops, Medic
More vehicles, including The Chameleon, a Stalker with full cloak
Fall 2008 release

As pictured, the February issue of Game Informer blows the lid off Insomniac's Resistance 2, and thanks to a few good-mannered subscribers posting on NeoGAF (please thank your mommies and daddies for teaching you to share) we get a peak inside the cookie jar. And my, what cookies await!

The Resistance sequel will apparently feature two separate campaigns, one dedicated to single-player and a second for multiplayer. While the second campaign supports two-player split-screen for local play, once taken online, as many as 8 players can take on the Chimera invasion – or will we be fighting the Cloven this time? But the real treats seem to be stored in the competitive multiplayer modes, as Resistance 2 promises to support up to 60 players online – and not just 30-on-30 chaos. Some multiplayer modes will divide participants into 4- to 8-player squads each with its own virtual lobby. Squads will be tasked with unique objectives, and gameplay will be further diversified through three basic character classes: heavy weaponry, special ops (think: sniper) and medic. Insomniac's even promising an extensive stat-tracking database on MyResistance.net, coupled with faster matching than any game of 2007. Oh snap! You listening to this, Bungie?

Re: Resistance 2 PS3

Incredible plus its Insomniac so it wont get delayed.

Also Killzone is almost garunteed to be a 2009 release now.

Great screen, above what lookes like the goldengate bridge. The multiplayer sounds like fun, playing in small groups with their own objectives.

Thanks TEEDA and sfc_tsubasa

fullscans

What a surprise. I walked into Walmart expecting to pick up WarHawk and Sunshine, and, low and behold, passed by the magazine section and.. BAM! Resistance. So I grabbed it and made my way to the check out. Just got back home, and haven't even read it yet.

But from my initial impressions... Awesome! Wow, does that game look sexy or what. It is very well done from my a graphical standpoint. Excellent textures that leap to life off the pages. And throughout the cover story, they had great variety. Lots of color, but still keeps the same design the art in Resistance is know for. The images are all very bright. Nothing like the few released over the Internet. Clear; scans don't do this game justice. I LOVE the artwork. It is simply stunning. Damn, they sure did nail that department. I cannot express enough how amazing the art is. Well done Insomniac. Phase 1 complete. You drew me in. Now, let's see what else you have in store.

First off, how many people saw the full scans? Text, art, screenshots; the whole lot? Because I don't remember seeing all of this. I must make a few quick notes from flipping through the pages.

- Resistance 2 has a new logo. Very similar to that of the first, but changes the appearance many remember it for. Instead of showing a bunch of buildings and famous landmarks of England, we get a nice spread of what seems to be be... San Francisco? Most rooftops are flat. So there's your difference. Oh yeah, no big clock tower. No subtitle present. Title of the article is "United We Fall."

- The backdrop on the first two pages of the cover story has a very noise-ish apperance. Hale appears on the left hand side with the American flag flapping behind him. Above that, tanks come rolling in; the main guns raised, racing to help out the soldiers on the ground, who have come under attack from a mega monstrosity: a Goliath. These things are huge. I think Insomniac is trying to go for scale in their designs as well. I don't remember them being this tall. The beast was even beant over. As we all know, no face, but somehow they made the damn things glare at the futily resisting army. Threatening is an understatement. This is death incarnate. In a beautiful artistic display, the only light in the artwork is from gunfire and blaze. On top of that, the Goliath's lenses are lit up by the very same color. A very nice subtle touch. In the shadow of all the fire, off in the distance as an inescapable evil, another Goliath lurks. It sounds like they will play a big part in this invasion. Over in the shaows, a chimera watches on. Patiently biding his time. If there is one thing this artwork elicts, it is the promise of chaos and turmoil to come.

- Now I won't comment on everything, because there is just too much, I would be here forever. For all you graphics whores, the game looks stunning. Rich colors. Unbridled lighting. Dynamic contrast: seems to be different depending the view. Godly shadowing effects: right up there with Uncharted, I would even go as far as to say it ones up it. An infinite variety in textures. The stills that seemed to have caught motion suggest a plethora of outstanding animatics. The sheer scope of the environments is something to behold. You can see for miles and miles. You can make out rivers and watchtowers. Powerlines and... islands? Smoke trails from plans and mountains in the distance. This game is quite simply a benchmark in graphics technology. I can't wait to see how the final product looks. Now, the breakdown. Is it better than Killzone 2's engine? Ready for the truth? Too hard to tell. The efforts by both studios are so superb they are making my eyes squint just to tell differences. That alone is one of the best comments you can achieve. Maybe at a later time we can determine the final victor, but it is not now. It is just simply too hard. Gorgeous. Gorgeous. Gorgeous.

- A few other things I should note.[#ff0000]The Goliaths are now an enemy type[/#ff0000]. Meaning you will have to fight them. A lot. Dread every encounter. They are trying to make these enemies fierce. One huge difference about the Goliaths compared to the first game is, if screens could tell, they seem to be capable of moving faster. Just what you wanted, right? Also, whenever you see them, it seems Insomniac wants you to view them from the ground up. Unlike the last games where they didn't seem so tall because of the overhead or side views. The Goliaths have been stated to be 150 feet over the player. Want to take one down, now?

- I swear to God I saw a floating face in what of the screenshots. A wide face. With tubes or tendrils that hung near its mouth. It would be easier if I could just show everyone, but thats not possible now, is it? So we'll just have to wait and see what it is all about. The article did confirm we would be facing aerial combatants. The Stalker is back. Along with a new mobile weapon. No, it doesn't even seem like someone could fit inside it. Its like a pod with twin three-barrel turrets to either side. Very Chimeranish. Expect to shoot these things down before they do so to you.

- By the way, it seems the screens that have been circulating around the Web wasn't all of them. There are some models, and background images, plus two that I have no idea why they have not been seen yet. Besides that, you have to check out the awesome artwork. One artwork depicts Hale at the foot of a body of water in a cold factory building with a Matrix sentinel looking Chimera with tentacles as long as you could imagine. Could probably wrap one around a building. One of my favorite pieces of artwork ever. Also, it looks like he has a big gun. This artwork came with a caption that said...
First-person shooters don't often include bosses. Insomniac wants to get it right and deliver encounters unlike any you've seen before.

Thanks to Basch at NeoGAF

Les full scan :

126616847720080116123329.jpg

67535494720080116123356.jpg

1067293420080116123414.jpg

353128120080116123437.jpg

29116958920080116123453.jpg

202038824720080116123531.jpg

206392197720080116123556.jpg

118523696520080116123619.jpg

182746250720080116123646.jpg

103560668720080116123710.jpg

212859994120080116125008.jpg

Say the feature they had on Playr this morning and the online 60 player games sound really great. Not sure if its been mentioned above in the images and text but the idea of splitting everyone into smaller groups with their own individual missions is really nice.

You'd feel part of a huge war this way

And the 8 player co op has its own campaign - awesome!

Bunch of new trailers released today, watched them earlier and the game looks boring as fuck, completely generic and unoriginal, big miss from me.......

http://www.gamepro.com/news.cfm?article_id=193648

The cat is out of the bag -- the upcoming August issue of GamePro has a huge exclusive preview of the biggest game of 2008: Resistance 2. And when we say "big," we're not kidding. Resistance 2 has two separate campaign modes (we played 'em both), 60-player online multiplayer (we played it), and one hell of an 8-player cooperative mode (think Diablo meets Team Fortress 2).

There's also something else. Something we can't mention yet. A truly...colossal secret. You'll have to wait for the August issue to get full details, but you'll know it when you see it. Protip: You may want to sit down while reading this issue.

In other news, the August issue of GamePro also contains an exclusive contest: you can win a Resistance 2 beta code! But to win, you've got to snag a copy of the August 2008 GamePro; subscribers will get their copy in early July, and the newsstand version will hit on July 8th.

Check back next Friday, when we unveil the second panel of our limited-edition fold-out Resistance 2 cover!

http://www.gamepro.com/sony/ps3/games/news/images/193648-1.jpg

I enjoyed the first game. It definately had some quality to it. I hated online play but the story was what made it a good game for me.

I really liked the first game.

Playing it on medium and then hard is the way to do it!

If you can get all the skill points and all the intelligence reps on hard without pulling ur hair out, you deserve to shake my hand.

Insomniac has said that it will be running a public multiplayer beta for Resistance 2 on PS3 later this year and that it will extend to "all territories".

Originally announced as an exclusive part of PSN's downloadable Qore TV show, Insomniac reassured fans via Kotaku that there will be "many ways to get in", including a retail pre-order package in North America.

"For all of you folks outside of North America are up in arms because Qore is NA only, please don't worry," the statement went on to say.

"This is one of many ways to get in, and we plan to make the beta available in all territories, as we need to test all servers and worldwide play. Further details on how to get into the beta will be forthcoming."

We've contacted Sony UK to find out if there are any more details available. According to the original Qore labelling, the beta is "scheduled" for September.

Nice.

I am seriously going to run out of money this year with all these great games coming out. Even with my Wii and 360 sold I still have the majority of titles to look forward to on the PS3 and then some:

Resistance 2
Ferrari Challenge
SOCOM: Confrontation
Little Big Planet
Motorstorm: Pacific Rift
PES 2009
FIFA 09
NHL 09
Far Cry 2
Fallout 3
and still more....

Im looking forward to the multiplayer beta. :)

Fallout got a bit of a kicking from the eurogamer preview, you should check it out. I was looking forward to Fallout, but still unsure after mass effect didnt do much for me, but there seems to be so many flaws still in the game atm.

Yeah I read that preview. I was quite surprised because it's been receiving a lot of positive praise in the last few months.

Well that was disappointing.

Comment on the trailer:

'ps3owner
22-Aug-08 16:59:35 yay :)
want it now :)

why didn't they use the eurotunnel... ?'

Rofl.

Didn't look promising btw.

I thought the trailer looked great - It provides a back story for those who didn't play the first game and sets the scene for the second game.

I was looking forward to killzone 2 more than this but from recent videos and the online news i can't wait for this game.

Fire up Resistance baby... fire it up!

Potential Collectors Edition covers,

pick-the-cover-for-resistance-2-collectors-edition-20080825074921349.jpg

pick-the-cover-for-resistance-2-collectors-edition-20080825074918662.jpg

pick-the-cover-for-resistance-2-collectors-edition-20080825074923115.jpg

I pick the 2nd one.

Yeah i think the second one is my fave as well - not keen on the 'only on playstation' tag. I always hated that smugness on SNES games and Xbox games but meh.

I can't wait for this game now ive seen the co-op play

Back
Top Bottom