PS2 Pro Evolution 2009 Substitution Bug

This problem is very annoying . In the first month or so, it never happened to me . Now I encounter this problem almost in every game .
I was going to start a new thread about this problem named ( please do not call me crazy ) until I saw this thread . I am playing PES & wenning eleven series since 9 years ( Since PES 1998 ). this problem has never ocurred even in the most primitive versions . This makes me smell something fishy about forcing us to buy PS3. Please mates if anybody found a solution tell us because apart from this problem, the game play in this version is really exciting .

I have tested "set pieces workaround" in master league and I still got zombie substitutions every 5-6 games, so it is not related.
I will try some other workaround.

heres a workaround I have done

grab the disc and kneel down then put it on your knee and press down on both sides of the disc apply lots of pressure until you hear a SNAP!! sound then open disc tray on ps2 and insert pes 2008 (or 6, 5 ect) and sit back and play pes

this will ensure you never have the sub bug again

This bug is really beginning to piss me off. Having to replay what have been great games, because it crashes at the end, is ridiculous!

Why are Konami staying quiet over this? If they can't fix it, the least i want is an official grovelling apology on their website.

Master League + bug = game ruined!

Last edited:
Having to replay what have been great games, because it crashes at the end, is ridiculous!

Why does your game crash? It only froze on me when I went into individual player ratings menu after the game so I am avoding that menu and even if I get the zombie substitution bug the game does not freeze.

Why are Konami staying quiet over this? If they can't fix it, the least i want is an official grovelling apology on their website.

Konami game developers have stated in all interviews that pes2009 is being developed primarily for next generation consoles so bye bye ps2 version. That is obious if you compare ps3 and ps2 version of the game; ps3 version has many new features and graphics and ps2 version is just copy-paste from pes2008 (with this suspicious bug)

Last edited:
Just a bit more info on what I have noticed regarding the bug... After the bug kicks in the support stance in game changes, i.e the home team becomes the away team and the away team become the home team, although the formation setting does not confirm this (home remains home team, away team remains away team) this can be seen by the way the colour on the supporters have changed... i.e playing Liverpool against Real Madrid.. as Liverpool are the home team the supporters in the ground are prominently RED, with the away supporters white, when the bug kicks a little while after substitutions are made, normally after the ball goes out of play, change of half's, or a free kick this changes to prominently white, with the away supporters being Red

Just a bit more info on what I have noticed regarding the bug... After the bug kicks in the support stance in game changes, i.e the home team becomes the away team and the away team become the home team, although the formation setting does not confirm this (home remains home team, away team remains away team) this can be seen by the way the colour on the supporters have changed... i.e playing Liverpool against Real Madrid.. as Liverpool are the home team the supporters in the ground are prominently RED, with the away supporters white, when the bug kicks a little while after substitutions are made, normally after the ball goes out of play, change of half's, or a free kick this changes to prominently white, with the away supporters being Red

:LMAO: good find

I don't think it's as simple as a 'switch'. I wouldn't buy a console for just one game and certainly not a poor game (i'm really referring to the PS3 here).

I see what you mean.
I have actualy bought ps2 few years ago (I am a PC fan) only for pes; I don't play any other ps2 games.
I was actually thinking of buying ps3 only because of pes2008 but after I saw bad reviews I have delayed my purchase. It is still pending until pes2010 ...maybe...

I see what you mean.
I have actualy bought ps2 few years ago (I am a PC fan) only for pes; I don't play any other ps2 games.
I was actually thinking of buying ps3 only because of pes2008 but after I saw bad reviews I have delayed my purchase. It is still pending until pes2010 ...maybe...

I also bought ps2 for pes 2009. But it turned out to be shit.

Anyway I play WEJL 2008 CC with fernando patch and it's amazing.

By the way try god of war I and II for PS2, amazing games, you will forget pes for a while surely.

I'm overall very disappointed about Konami next gen effort: higher resolution, much worse gameplay and much worse animations, PES is dead, just look at the amount of posts ..

you all have to admit that the golden glow that surronded the game has gone!

just rem pes 3/5/6 and 2008 which for gameplay was and is still my fave

such a shame they couldnt make the jump to next gen and if you think they will use a different game engine your dreaming just look at all the ones on ps2 tweaked and tweaked i doubt you can tweak next gen and make it good considering where its at right now the base isnt even a good base to work from as for pes 2009 ps2 i heard that it was out sourced to other developers maybe thats why its all bugged and complete crud

Konami game developers have stated in all interviews that pes2009 is being developed primarily for next generation consoles so bye bye ps2 version. That is obious if you compare ps3 and ps2 version of the game; ps3 version has many new features and graphics and ps2 version is just copy-paste from pes2008 (with this suspicious bug)

First post :)) hi everyone. ;)

I was so close to buying 09 because I loved 08 so much, but on reflection if 08 had issues mentioned that are in the "new game" it would be half the game it is. Apart from GKs in the game having a collective IQ of 1 08 was perfect to me as a sequel to previous versions.

Obviously though now PS2 is nothing to them I mean how is it possible to not spot this bug its a schoolboy error, :CURSE:

The only solution is the wastebin theres no way they would use their good money that we all provide them with to provide us loyal ps2 gamers with a working copy now they've released them.

Most places I look ps2 version is out of stock as well so good for them lots of money for a poorly tested game. Off-topic football manager 2009 was a shambles when released difference was it will get patched. Still no excuse gamers are being made fun of by these gamemakers :CURSE::CURSE::CURSE:

I have exactly the same problem as well. It usually happens after you play 2 or 3 ML games continuously. The game will hang upon exit / view players rating and I still can't find any work around.

So far i have tried to save and exit master league after 2-3 games. But it still happens upon re-entering master league.

I have found a way to avoid substitution bug (actually someone else found it in another forum).
I have tested it on 80 master league and konami cup games and I had 0 bugs so it must be working.
To substitute do this:
1. Press start
2. Go to formations menu
3. Do the substitution(s)
4. Exit and continue playing
5. After substitution has been made (you see the animation etc.), press start
6. Go to substitutions (that quick menu)
7. Exit and continue playing.

It seems that doing that extra step (no. 6) somehow updates the substitution and bug does not appear.

I have found a way to avoid substitution bug (actually someone else found it in another forum).
I have tested it on 80 master league and konami cup games and I had 0 bugs so it must be working.
To substitute do this:
1. Press start
2. Go to formations menu

It seems that doing that extra step (no. 6) somehow updates the substitution and bug does not appear.

I did this in a couple of games yesterday and so far so good. I want to test it some more though.

To substitute do this:
1. Press start
2. Go to formations menu

Pleased to hear of solution, sorry but fifa 09 in my opinion is "fun" :COAT: but not much else apart from looking the part. Enjoy the manager bit though where you get to decide on questions from fans board etc. :SMUG:

Pro evo :WORSHIP: for me is just to addictive and love everything except the bugs though some are amusing such as the keeper getting stuck with the post going through his body. :SHOCK: :)

:PRAY::APPLAUD: hope it stays, bet it werent konami who sussed this (so far) useful solution.

You can see why it works really it just lets the quick sub update with info that has been relayed to the full settings substitution and all changes.

To substitute do this:
1. Press start
2. Go to formations menu

Great find, and surly this should be made a sticky for others with new heading including "solution" or to that fact.

To substitute do this:
1. Press start
2. Go to formations menu

This does actually seem to work. Going through a ML season and the bug hasn't happened yet (about 10 games in):APPLAUD:

To substitute do this:
1. Press start
2. Go to formations menu

yup that work perfectly now i'm playing ML with no crash..
never got the bugs since follow your instruction..
thx mate..:))

Back
Top Bottom