PS2 Pro Evolution 2009 Substitution Bug

i thought games companies have testers to try the game out before release.
did they spot this? i am sure they would have. and it would probably have taken no time at all to correct it. at the end of the day the game is faulty and everyone is within there rights to take it back and get a refund. if everybody did that then maybe they would take notice.
all this does is make people think why should i buy retail version and give my money to them when they can't be bothered about the consumer!!
it just encourages more piracy in my mind, why pay full price for a flawed retail
version when they can get a flawed copy free from the net.

Last edited:
your damn right mate and i got semi reply from them today but it was automated saying they will reply fully in 3 days so i look forward to hear what they say although am i dreaming in thinking they will release a fixed version that you simply trade in your current copy:ZZZ:

OK! i got a reply from Konami they have asked me to answer some simple questions about the bug such as teams used ect ect and im going to fill it in and send it back please can everyone do the same so they realise it isnt an isolated incident and its happening on all the retail copys

en_support@konami-europe.net

Tell them that it happens with EVERY FRIGGIN' TEAM IN THE WHOLE FRIGGIN' GAME! (and every game mode also, i.e. Master League, Friendly Match).
It really pisses me off when people try to play dumb.

Edit: Do you need to send any information about the game ID or something like that in the mail?

Last edited:
It happened to me as well. The 'good' thing is that when you replace an injured player he won't come back to the pitch. I replaced Viduka and Chipperfield (who was injured) with Aloisi and Thwaite. Viduka returned to the game :SHOCK: while Chipperfield stayed in the bench.

One more annoying thing about this bug : The game freezes if you go the ratings of the players if the substitution bug occurred during the game. I had this freezing TWICE but I am not sure at 100 % yet.

Be cautious and save the game on a regular basis if you don't wish to lose your progress.

It doesn't happen all the time but very often. Sometimes your players return immediately and other times they take a while.

i had that freezing prob too! first thought was: must be the dvd media!

anyway, i had the sub-bug too. it really is annoying when u get a injured player out and u waste another one...

yea it is pathetic, the bug is in the ps2 version and psp version meaning they dont care about those consoles anymore..

ok... I've just sent a mail to Konami complaining about the bug, lets see what happens.

Everyone should do the same, so at least they'd know that they cannot release a bugged, untested game and expect that we bow down and accept the crap they're throwing at us.

Me had the same problem too!

Me sad this kind of bug could happen in this new version of PES. After all this years? Should have not happen. Should NEVER happen!

Other than that, me thought the game is good. Newly improve skills control and the AI is a bit more intelligent.

No wonder piracy taking the place and honestly, It cost only a dollar and so, and it suits PES value for now...:)

Last edited:
Someone on another forum said it was to do with players and set pieces. I've done a little testing (Maybe Konami should hire me) and this seems to work

1. Formation settings, change set-piece taker so the player you want to sub is not responsible for any set pieces.

2. Go back to game.

3. Go into formation settings and sub the player.

I haven't tried it with the quick sub option yet.

Try it and see. It should work but it doesn't make it right.

does anyone know if the USA version also has this bug?

It does. I've played about 20 matches, and had it happen twice. The subbed players come back on, you can't bring back the players you brought on, and the game crashes when you try to go back to the menu after the game. I've had it freeze at the player ratings screen after a game too.

I've also had the game not load at all, once.

Going back to PES 2007 and I want my money back from Konami...

If you go to the 'match analysis' screen on the 'team information' menu you can go back and see which matches glitched. When you select a game it should give you the list of player ratings and whatever but on glitched games it just stays blank and acts like its frozen. You can get out of it by pressing triangle (at least you can on my copy).

I'm not sure it has anything to do with set piece takers. I've pretty much stopped making subs in ML mode now because it was so annoying but when I look on the match analysis screen I'm getting blank screens on games I didn't even make a sub in!

I got the generic email back from konami too about memory cards and blah blah blah but they haven't responded to my reply yet.

Its strange because I've already played over 50 games in friendly Mode and league mode and I not had that problem, additional I conduct a tournament Saturday with 8 of my friend playing in cup mode, and none experienced such bug.

Well it seems I have been one of the few elected those who do not pass such that rare error bug and frozen

Last edited:
the North America version (for PS2) also has this problem.

I've been playing master league for two seasons and this bug happens to me about every three to four games.

I also noticed that even if I was able to manage to get out of rating screen without getting "freezed",

when I looked up the player ratings for the previous game (in which the bug happened) in "Game Analysis" menu,

the subbed players' ratings are 0 with their original positions are shown as GK, even though their original positions are not GKs!!!!
I do not know if it actually affects the in-game ratings for the subbed players. I will need to play many games to check on this issue.

So my warning for people who want their certain players to get high ratings for season MVP, league cup MVP or etc(usually the 7.0+ players), do not EVER sub him and let him play the entire match!

Dear Jono,

Thank you for your request.

We are sorry to keep you waiting but the issue is still under investigation.
As soon as we have further details or a solution we will post an announcement
on our official website.

Your Konami Support Team

Konami Digital Entertainment GmbH
Berner Str. 103-105
60437 Frankfurt am Main
Germany

Local Court of Frankfurt am Main: HRB Nr. 24990
Managing Director: Kunio Neo, Kazumi Kitaue

I got this message this morning... at least they are now acknowledging there is a problem and they are trying to fix it..

I'm well pisshed over this I have paid for both psp & ps2 versions.. for me they really have to fix it... The game has been ruined by this bug...

I'm going to jinx myself by saying this, but i haven't had this happen to me yet.

How can they fix the PS2 version anyway? PS3/360 yes, with a download, but PS2..?
On the subject of fixing. Has someone told them to fix the gameplay? :RANT: :DD

I'm going to jinx myself by saying this, but i haven't had this happen to me yet.

How can they fix the PS2 version anyway? PS3/360 yes, with a download, but PS2..?
On the subject of fixing. Has someone told them to fix the gameplay? :RANT: :DD

First, they withdraw every flawed copy from the retail stores and provide them with new UNBUGGED ones. Then they inform that every person that got a bugged copy of the game, should to take it to the store they got it from and exchange it with the new one.

Simple as that.

As for the money they would lose in the process I couldn't care less, it's their fault for releasing a game without proper testing.
That should teach them a lesson.

In fact everyone should contact a consumer rights lawyer or something like that and shove this game up Konami's a** (and ask for a refund while at it).

happened to me too: i was playing "world tour" mode and the task was to score with at least 2 different players. so i exchanged my first goalscorer with another player and only noticed the bug when the same player (who i exchanged earlier!) scored again... best thing: the player was counted as a different player because i succeded in the mission neverless!

You can talk. I got the same email from Konami. Seriously what do people think they will do?

Will they honour the copies people have already bought or will they be gits and give money off

I have had the same problem too. Has occured with Arsenal and England. I was wondering if it may be an option file bug? I bought a memory card with an option file off of a website. Think it was the PES shop. Has anybody experienced the bug without any update file?

The bug is not option file related.
The first time it happened to me I hadn't even created an option file for the game.

In response to the suggestion that it is set piece related, the substitution has since taken place even with that taken into consideration. For example in one match at half time I subsituted Adebayor for Bendtner. Adebayor was not taking any set pieces. In the 2nd half Bendtner was on for a bit but then it reverted back to Adebayor. On that occasion the match froze as well at the end of the game. I was playing a league and I had to replay the Hull match and won 1-0 rather than 2-0! I thought it might be because I made the change DURING half time. In my most recent match however (a 4-0 hammering of liverpool), I Eduardo got an injury and during the game (as opposed to the half time break) I replaced him with Van Persie. Van Persie was on the pitch for quite a while, but then Eduardo reappeared. Luckily the match didn't freeze afterwards, so I do not think the freeze bug is always related to the substitution bug. A lot of people have spoken of the sub bug but freezing at the end of a game is far worse as if you are playing a league you have to replay matches you might have already won and if you dont win the 2nd time round, your whole league feels pontless. End of essay! Just thought was worse people knowing that the sub bug can still occur even if u sub a player who isnt taking st pieces.

It happend to me too (in master league).
I will try to test set pieces workaround. I will set GK (because he does not get subbed) as captain and FK and Corner kicker and PK taker and change it during every game.

Last edited:
freezing at the end of a game is far worse as if you are playing a league you have to replay matches you might have already won

Which happened to me. I won a game 2-0. Not only that, but my misfiring striker scored too. It froze at the end and i felt so cheated i had to replay it and win again, which took me several goes and was beginning to get annoying. What a really really bad bug. Possibly the worst bug in PES ever imo. Totally unacceptable after all these years of PES on PS2 :RANT:

I know it isnt for everyone but Im so glad that im loving playing my patched pes 2008 and use 2009 simply for BAL which isnt affected by the sub bug..thats my workaround

Back
Top Bottom