PS2 HDD Utility >> > www.hdloader.com

Well apparently the hard drive I currently have in my computer, a 120gb 7200 8mb cache Seagate will work fine in the PS2 so it's a good excuse to order myself a 200gb ata133 7200 8mb cache Maxtor drive for the PC :)

tip said:
hi, i've got maxtor 120GB, network adaptor and hd advance. I want to have patched We8 on my hard disk. I made an iso of We8, i patched it with fernando 0.7 and the transferred it to my hard disk with Winhiip_v1.6.2 but it doesn't work...The original unpatched We8 work no problem when I put it on my hard disk with Winhiip_v1.6.2. I really don't know why the patched iso doesn't work.( I've done all the things properly- made an iso with dvd decrypter, patched with ppf-o-matic 3.0) Someone tried to transfer the patched iso to Hd with Winhiip or hdl_dump?

Use hdl_dump. It works for me.

Just got myself an network adaptar and an 80gig (7200rpm, 2mb cache) Maxtor hard drive but im having a bit of a problem getting it up and running.

first i set the jumper on the HD to the master setting, hooked it up to my pc and formatted to the ps2 format using WinHiip 1.6.3.
I then installed a backup copy of We8 using the same program.
Next, I hooked everything up to the ps2, got HDLoader on my memory card using the mc exploit and switched on my ps2 with the ps1 disc im using as the triggering disc.

Up to this point everything is fine...HDLoader loads up to the title screen but then i get the following error: "HDLoader could not detect a hard disk drive connected to your ps2".

Any ideas as to what might be causing this problem?

Baggs said:
Just got myself an network adaptar and an 80gig (7200rpm, 2mb cache) Maxtor hard drive but im having a bit of a problem getting it up and running.

first i set the jumper on the HD to the master setting, hooked it up to my pc and formatted to the ps2 format using WinHiip 1.6.3.
I then installed a backup copy of We8 using the same program.
Next, I hooked everything up to the ps2, got HDLoader on my memory card using the mc exploit and switched on my ps2 with the ps1 disc im using as the triggering disc.

Up to this point everything is fine...HDLoader loads up to the title screen but then i get the following error: "HDLoader could not detect a hard disk drive connected to your ps2".

Any ideas as to what might be causing this problem?
baggs take your jumper out completley, if no jumper is found it should tell the bios that the disk must be the master, you probably have it on slave, cause if it was on master you had it on your pc your pc would have tried to boot to the ps2 disk instead of you c:

let me know how it goes bro

csaunders said:
baggs take your jumper out completley, if no jumper is found it should tell the bios that the disk must be the master, you probably have it on slave, cause if it was on master you had it on your pc your pc would have tried to boot to the ps2 disk instead of you c:

let me know how it goes bro

Nope sorry mate, still no luck...i removed the jumper completely but it still gives me the same error. im really stumped as to what the damn problem might be :(

csaunders said:
what version ps2 is yours? move the jumper to every positoin, and reboot on each change....

SCPH-30004 (version 3 if im not mistaken) I tried it in the DS master and cs enabled position but niether work. i doubt the cap limit position will work but ill give it a try anyways. the hd works fine as coz my pc recoginezed it and i even manager to format it to the ps2 format with winhiip so im ruling out a faulty hd.

EDIT: Just tried all of the jumper settings an niether work.

Last edited:
Baggs said:
SCPH-30004 (version 3 if im not mistaken) I tried it in the DS master and cs enabled position but niether work. i doubt the cap limit position will work but ill give it a try anyways. the hd works fine as coz my pc recoginezed it and i even manager to format it to the ps2 format with winhiip so im ruling out a faulty hd.

EDIT: Just tried all of the jumper settings an niether work.
bags, wipe it clean on your pc, not formatted for ps2, then stick it back in the ps2 and let HDloader format it....

csaunders said:
bags, wipe it clean on your pc, not formatted for ps2, then stick it back in the ps2 and let HDloader format it....
Thats what i did baggs works fine.

Sorry lads, just tried wiping the hd clean and getting hdloader to format it...but my ps2 is not recognizing my feckin hd. i'm about ready to chuck everything out the window :(

Baggs said:
Sorry lads, just tried wiping the hd clean and getting hdloader to format it...but my ps2 is not recognizing my feckin hd. i'm about ready to chuck everything out the window :(
do you have another friend with a network adapter? try his

Nope...they're pretty hard to find here in Malta. seems the Network adapter is working coz the lights on it flash whenever i connect it to my modem. I'm thinking thought the network adapter port might not be connecting to the ps2's for some reason, though they seem to be sliding into each other right. Im truly baffled right now.

I also had problems getting mine working with the Seagate 120gb drive I have, on doing some reading it seems that my problem is Messiah2+Seagate= not working, so I'm having to use the new Maxtor 160gb 8mb cache drive that I bought for my PC in my PS2, I'm hoping that when I get a PS1 game it will then work from the memory card (I'm using HD loader from cd right now).

Have you checked the HD compatibility chart website? That's where I discovered the messiah2 problem :)

Care to give a link? I bought a maxtor 80gig since most people opted for maxtor. I can even hear the hard disk spinning so everything is connected right, but hdloader seems to have other ideas. i tried it with hdadvanced too and it gives me the same problem.

Yeah and according to 9 or so results my Seagate is supposed to be compatible, but the ones replying who said it was were using DMS3? Whereas I'm using Messiah2 and a couple said it didn't work who had that same combination :(

BTW have you tried loading HDadvance/HDloader from a CD?

Edit: From HDadvance website (it's basically the same program just repackaged)......

HDD Compatibility:
HDAdvance is compatible with all official PS2 HDD, and most other standard IDE HDD with 40GB or larger capacity. Some modern Seagate HDD may have problems when used in conjunction with older models of the official PS2 network adapter. Most Western Digital HDD do not physically fit in the PS2 Official network adapter without some modification.

If HDAdvance stops at the splash screen for you, then it is due to this conflict mentioned above. In order to tackle this you will either need to purchase a new HDD or network adapter.

Last edited:
Placebo, whats your seagate's specs and product id? i might just go and return mine and get one like yours since you managed to get it working.

But I also have a very old spare maxtor 33073H4 5400RPM 30gb drive, that works flawlessly in the PS2 as well, only problem is it's so old and knackered the games run/load slower than on DVD, so I would be thinking that the problem is not related to your hard drive, but rather the network adaptor, or your chip or your PS2 version or something of that nature, can you try a different HD in your PS2?

Freeing up space?

I am using WinHIIP... it shows i only have 4 Gb out of my 40Gb left for free space. Even if I remove images, it does not seem to free up space.

When I use the HDLoader utility, it shows 10Gb free.

How do I free it up so that WinHIIP can be used again?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom