Project Gotham 3 - Official Thread

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6135026.html

"In an effort to clear up the confusion, GameSpot asked David Reid, director of platform marketing for Xbox, what the exact 360 launch lineup is. He said that "there will be 15 to 20 Xbox 360 titles available on launch day" with around another half-dozen making it to market by the end of the year. For the moment, though, he would only confirm eight titles as being available the same day and date as the 360: Project Gotham Racing 3, Kameo, Perfect Dark Zero, Madden NFL 06, NBA Live 06, Tiger Woods PGA Tour 06, Need for Speed Most Wanted, and FIFA 06: Road to FIFA World Cup."

Ps. sorry if this is old news, I was still under the impression PGR3 wasnt making launch day.

That's not what a couple of other stories I read this morning say, they reported MS are still going with "launch window" for PGR3. Hope Gamespot's one is more accurate.

Gamespot article.

AMSTERDAM-- Undoubtedly one of the most popular games at Microsoft's X05 event in Amsterdam is Project Gotham Racing 3. Being shown in playable form for the first time, Bizarre Creations' racer looks even more impressive now than it did in Tokyo a couple of weeks back. And according to the Bizarre Creations representatives present at the event, the demo version on show is at least two weeks behind those currently being tested at their offices.

The version of Project Gotham Racing 3 that we were able to get our hands on featured courses from the three of the game's cities--namely London, Tokyo, and New York. We were able to race around these impressively accurate city recreations in cars from five different speed classes, and we had an opportunity to compete against both CPU-controlled opponents and other X05 attendees.

The first thing we did was jump into one of Project Gotham Racing 3's many Ferrari models and race against a field of CPU opponents on the sun-drenched streets of London. Certain areas of the city were instantly recognizable to us, despite the fact that all of the streets were lined with barriers, route markers, and crowds of cheering race fans. The gameplay, on the other hand, felt quite different from Project Gotham Racing 2, but we're pleased to report that we were in no way disappointed.

The first thing we noticed about Project Gotham Racing 3 (besides the excellent car damage models--ahem) was that the handling is far less forgiving than that in the previous game. We wouldn't necessarily describe the vehicle handling in Project Gotham Racing 3 as super-realistic, but you certainly won't be able to slide around corners quite as easily this time around. You'll also need to brake well ahead of sharp turns.

It's fitting, then, that unlike its predecessor, Project Gotham Racing 3 will reward you for skillful rather than showy driving. You'll still be able to earn the series' trademark kudos points for sliding and skidding, but larger bonuses will be available for fast cornering, clean sections, and for sticking to the correct racing line. The thinking behind this change is that the game should reward you for good driving, rather than for tricks that aren't necessary to win races. Bizarre Creations is also well aware of the fact that Project Gotham Racing 2 players would frequently take advantage of that game's kudos system by performing endless donuts in an attempt to improve their online rankings. That won't be possible in Project Gotham Racing 3, and online ranking points will also vary according to which of the game's skill levels you're playing on.

Another interesting change that's been made to the kudos system for Project Gotham Racing 3 is that single maneuvers such as skids and corner-taking are divided up into sections now. So the points you're awarded for a well-taken corner, for example, will be based on your entry into the corner, your speed around the corner, and your exit from the corner. You'll also be given immediate feedback as to how well you did via a series of comments, such as "brisk," "gutsy," "stunning," "breakneck," or "screaming."

The multiplayer race on the streets of New York that marked the end of our time with Project Gotham Racing 3 was a hotly contested affair between four X05 attendees, including a representative of Bizarre Creations. All four of us chose to drive different vehicles from the same class, and although their characteristics were very different, they seemed to be quite evenly matched for the most part. Our open-wheel racer, for example, was extremely fast off the line and around corners, but had a top speed that was some 50 miles per hour slower than some of our opponents' cars. On several occasions we were overtaken by the same opponent on a straightaway and would then regain our lead at the next sharp corner. The differences in our vehicles made for a really interesting game of cat and mouse that will hopefully be the rule rather than the exception when Project Gotham Racing 3 is released alongside the Xbox 360 in November.

Yeah stick with "launch window" for now otherwise you might be dissapointed. It will be a 2005 title though, I am 100% confident of that.

Gamespot and IGN's previews are both very positive...can't wait to get my grubby mitts on the game.

If you are interested here is the first video of the New York area, looks stunning. The odd tecture pop-in you see on some buildings will be fixed btw.

http://xboxvideos3.free.fr/videos/x05_pgr3_multi.wmv

ClassicD said:
Marvellous.

WHEN'S IT OUT!!!??? :lol:

2 months prior to a console launch is still early to have a definitive list of games for launch day. I am slowly starting to believe that PGR3 will make launch but there could be snags in testing or certification before a definate date is announced.

Doesn't matter for me though as although I will have the console (I hope) on launch day, I might not actually be getting it till Christmas!!!! :shock: I have a mean wife :D

Bizarre aint denied that MS fella saying PGR3 will be out on Launch day.
So its looking good. Also seen Cod2 has been confirmed for Launch day wooo
thats my two preordered games sorted then. :)

8.8 on IGN, according to them it feels more like PGR2.5 than a real sequel

I suppose it's kinda like when PGR first came out, it wasn't M-SR 2 as such, just a prettier version of M-SR with New York added, and thus if the formula aint broke, dont fix it..........

CWright said:
8.8 on IGN, according to them it feels more like PGR2.5 than a real sequel

If you weren't the boss I'd ban your ass for quoting that!! ;)

8.8 is a good score I'm happy with that. However I am NOT happy with how they came up with that score. They say it hasn't changed that much from PGR2, well I don't know what the hell they were expecting. In their review they wanted "giant jumps" and "double 360" moves!! FFS that isn't what PGR is about.

The driving model is perfect so that won't change, they have added Gotham TV, In-car views, Route creator, Crowd system, new game modes etc etc, if that isn't enough content for a sequel to a racing game then I don't know what is. I'm not saying it should be a 10, maybe 8.8 is the right score. But saying there isn't enough new content is utter bollocks. IF GT5 has damage modelling then I guarentee it will be given a 10 for this "new" feature that has been around in PGR, Forza, Burnout for years.

They also say that without a HDtv the game looks no better than on a standard TV. If you look at the new direct feed videos over at xboxyde.com , with the exception of the 720p intro everything is in the resolution you will be playing on a normal tv, and I think it looks fab.

Wow I'm glad I packed my angry eyes today ;)

LemonJelly said:
If you weren't the boss I'd ban your ass for quoting that!! ;)

8.8 is a good score I'm happy with that. However I am NOT happy with how they came up with that score. They say it hasn't changed that much from PGR2, well I don't know what the hell they were expecting. In their review they wanted "giant jumps" and "double 360" moves!! FFS that isn't what PGR is about.

The driving model is perfect so that won't change, they have added Gotham TV, In-car views, Route creator, Crowd system, new game modes etc etc, if that isn't enough content for a sequel to a racing game then I don't know what is. I'm not saying it should be a 10, maybe 8.8 is the right score. But saying there isn't enough new content is utter bollocks. IF GT5 has damage modelling then I guarentee it will be given a 10 for this "new" feature that has been around in PGR, Forza, Burnout for years.

They also say that without a HDtv the game looks no better than on a standard TV. If you look at the new direct feed videos over at xboxyde.com , with the exception of the 720p intro everything is in the resolution you will be playing on a normal tv, and I think it looks fab.

Wow I'm glad I packed my angry eyes today ;)

Well put Dave, I was just thinking about the review this morning, PGR2 is a landmark title, it's really the game that Bizarre wanted to create all along, fair enough the Dreamcast never had the power to deliver it but M-SR was a decent game, and the XB release of PGR came along too soon for them to do anything much bar add New York. They reached the pinnacle, now they are looking to add to that.

What else can a driving game achieve anyhow? There is only so much 4 wheels can do in real life nevermind virtual racing. The other night after we played PGR, I checked out my stats, I've had 873 races online, I've driven 6800 and something odd virtual miles, 800 of which have been in an Enzo; I've spent 131 hours of my life with PGR2 in the drive, about 111hrs being online too, if I get half those stats with PGR3, I'll certainly have had more than my money's worth.

I'm thinking the IGN view is that they don't know exactly where to put PGR, it's not total realism like GT or Forza, and it's not arcade like Need for Speed or Burnout. Maybe that's just my view on it, but it's the first title I'll be booting up in my 360 :D

First thing I thought was, "shit, 8.8?". But then you read the review, and find out that it doesn't really have a fault at all. The reviewer's main gripe seems to be as Dave points out, that it's 'more of the same'. It's PGR2 with nicer graphics, and a few little extra although not mind-blowing features. I can see why this would disappoint some folk, maybe they expected more innovation. Having said that, the same site gave PGR2 a 9.5, and I do not see how adding delicious graphics and some nifty little extra modes to that game should drop the score to under 9, but there you go. The reviewer obviously expected more.

I also have a feeling that IGN are holding back on their reviews because this is the first gen of next gen games, so they don't want to put the review scores too high. That maybe incorrect but its the impression I get.

And I'm with Carl, it will definately be the first game I play on the 360.

LemonJelly said:
I also have a feeling that IGN are holding back on their reviews because this is the first gen of next gen games, so they don't want to put the review scores too high. That maybe incorrect but its the impression I get.

And I'm with Carl, it will definately be the first game I play on the 360.

I think that as well as they no there will be anothe PGR so why give this a 9.5 or more when the next version probably will be better and remember no games a 10

(OPSM PES5 10 haha)

Holio said:
Edge has delivered a verdict of 9/10 for it. :D

Yep it is a great review, the only dissapointing thing (and this doesn't detract anything from PGR or the review) is you only get a 4min demo of Geometry Wars: retro evolved. In order to play the full version you have to buy it on XBL Arcade (£3.40).

Fingers crossed I will know what is happening from Amazon this week.

Eurogamer review, 8/10. It's a pretty good review when you read it, and I have to agree with a lot of the points brought up, such as Gotham TV being a bit boring. I doubt I'll use it again after checking it out initially, in much the same way as I very rarely watched GT replays no matter how nice they looked, they were still boring after the first few times.

Another thing which they picked up on was it's too easy to earn credits, and you can pick up nearly all the cars very quickly. There is a buzz about having to work for unlocks IMO, and handing them to you on a plate kind of takes away from that.

Pretty much echoes what other sites have said, that it's PGR2 with snazzy graphics, good enough for me although for the next installment I don't think that'll wash.

ClassicD said:
http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=61842Another thing which they picked up on was it's too easy to earn credits, and you can pick up nearly all the cars very quickly. There is a buzz about having to work for unlocks IMO, and handing them to you on a plate kind of takes away from that.

The whole difficulty issue has been discussed over at the Bizarre forums after a different review mentioned that the F50GT could be bought in a few hours of playing. A few of the developers have replied to some of the comments, and it's put my mind at ease.

None of these reviews mention the difficulty setting they played it on. Platinum is still incredibly hard. There are acheivements in the game that even some of the devs can't get which is a good sign. Also, why should the top cars be locked away for the average gamer. If the Speed12 wasn't downloadable in PGR2 I would never have driven it. I paid the same amount for the game as everyone else, so I should be able to drive all the cars.

As far as Online, the Truskill system is meant to be very very good at placing you in races with other drivers of the same level.

I never got to drive the Speed 12. :)

I know Platinum is harder, but the fact that folk who won't play on this level can get all the cars anyway means it's pretty insignificant in that respect, you don't have to play on higher difficulty to unlock the cars. The top cars are there for everybody, but I think those who are better at or put more time into the game should reap greater rewards. You can have the same cars as everybody else, but only if you work as hard as they had to in order to get them, it's just the way I look at it.

That's what's fun in videogames, unlocking stuff, that "I need to have that car/track/skin/gun" feeling, and the way it drives you on to obtain them.

I'm sort of with you and against you Classic, for me I completed the game on Silver level, I hated the cone challenges, so I was never going to go back to try and achieve a higher level on those cars. I have still a few cars to unlock, but I'll never ever get the Mercedes car in Ultimate class as it was never made downloadable. I did however complete the game, what Bizarre found was that there was only a handful of people who went past the first 5 'chapters' of PGR2. Wrighty never completed the game either.

Fair enough you have a challenge if you want to aim for Platinum levels, this time at least you Gamertag will show you have them, the better PGR racers rarely lose will playing online, I remember racing a Speed12 round the Ring once, man I never finished the flamin thing cause the guys who I played where that good in that room, that was over a minute 15 behind whoever won. Maybe they could of lowered the credits you can achieve at the lower levels, but they want people to enjoy the game to the full, I for one wont complain; cause as you get older you get less time to spend on videogaming :(

Holio said:
Wrighty never completed the game either.
Exactly, that's the sort of thing that gets you chuckling when Chris breaks out his "I've only got the Enzo in this class" line! ;)

Holio said:
Fair enough you have a challenge if you want to aim for Platinum levels, this time at least you Gamertag will show you have them
I can't be arsed with these gamertags tbh, little pictures and shit. It doesn't beat a simple statement like "I've got the F50, and you've no!".

I'm sure the game will be cracking, I just like having worthwhile things to unlock and I like to feel like it was worth unlocking them. By the sounds of it they'd have been as well to just do away with any credits system at all and make everything available from the word go.

Vroom vroom!

Only played it for an hour due for various reasons, but it's ace. The GFX are amazing even on a standard telly but I did buy the 'Advanced Scart' as usually the standard one they ship with the consoles is composite and rather jobby. Only have the one car, I picked it quickly as I just wanted to play, the Noble, it's rather good.

What I love is how when you set up an online game you can force everyone to use the in-car view! What I don't love is the seemingly complete lack of restricting the car choice in any way at all.

But I also love how my windscreen gets a wee bit dirty, etc.

I love I love I love. :)

Be on tonight maybe.

Back
Top Bottom