playing AGAINST a friend in offline cup mode?!

mr5973

League 2
25 April 2002
Vienna, Austria
England
since pes moved to ps3 there is one major problem if you want to play in cupe mode against friends... i know it's difficult to explain but here i go:

i want to play a full 32-nations-world-cup and i want to be one team (say england) and my friend wants to be another team (say turkey). so england goes to e.g. group 1 in the world cup, turkey to e.g. group 5. when the tournament starts, the first game is played with england against any other team that is in group 1. so i controll england, my friend wants to controll the other team from group 1. that was possible until now but not anymore in pes2008 - i have to play against any team from group 1 alone, the CPU controlling the other team, not my friend!

second game is the first game for turkey, which plays against any team from group 5. same problem here: you can only controll turkey with player one, not the team turkey is playing against with player two.

i know the whole thing is difficult to explain, but if you do your cup with 2 players (but actually 8 teams), you not only have to play the games involving england and turkey but also every other match that will take places between the 8 teams (and we are not really interested in games that takes place between teams other than england or turkey - in pes6 the other results of all the other games (non-english, non-turkey) were not played by the players but the CPU presented us the results at the end of each round).

was i able to make myself clear? i know its difficult to explain..

neverthless: it isnt able to play a full world cup (with 32 teams) when playing with only two players - if you dont want to play all the games of the tournament...

if anybody knows a solution to this: please help!

since pes moved to ps3 there is one major problem if you want to play in cupe mode against friends... i know it's difficult to explain but here i go:

i want to play a full 32-nations-world-cup and i want to be one team (say england) and my friend wants to be another team (say turkey). so england goes to e.g. group 1 in the world cup, turkey to e.g. group 5. when the tournament starts, the first game is played with england against any other team that is in group 1. so i controll england, my friend wants to controll the other team from group 1. that was possible until now but not anymore in pes2008 - i have to play against any team from group 1 alone, the CPU controlling the other team, not my friend!

second game is the first game for turkey, which plays against any team from group 5. same problem here: you can only controll turkey with player one, not the team turkey is playing against with player two.

i know the whole thing is difficult to explain, but if you do your cup with 2 players (but actually 8 teams), you not only have to play the games involving england and turkey but also every other match that will take places between the 8 teams (and we are not really interested in games that takes place between teams other than england or turkey - in pes6 the other results of all the other games (non-english, non-turkey) were not played by the players but the CPU presented us the results at the end of each round).

was i able to make myself clear? i know its difficult to explain..

neverthless: it isnt able to play a full world cup (with 32 teams) when playing with only two players - if you dont want to play all the games of the tournament...

if anybody knows a solution to this: please help!

regarding the multiplayer cup mode (see above):
playing FIFA 2010 yesterday with a friend who comes from the dark side of football gaming ;-) i had to notice that ea has made it possible to play in the above mentioned way...

i'm really sick of konami as they had a game on the playstation 2 that was nearly flawless: you could play against friends in cup modes, you could alter the camera's angle, you could select player controll in single steps, animations seemed cool and realistic, there was no lag between pressing a button and the player doing the command, there was direct passing, there was shirt/trousers combinations possible, the game was much more fun etc.

i so would wish konami would read fans comments - like ea does - and give us back the world's best football game: now it's that FIFA gets better and more realistic each year but still doesn't feel right and PES just does not seem to get a decent game together on the playstation 3...

i so hope that PES 2010 also makes it possible to play AGAINST a friend in cup mode but i wouldn't bet on it - making FIFA the far better game in this respect!

My friends and I do the same thing. Hopefully they fixed this 2010 because it pissed us off and that's why I got rid of '08 and '09.

Simple feature. Don't know why they would get rid of it. Stupid Konami.

I'm presuming it's the invention of achievements/trophies which put an end to this (to stop people controlling the CPU with a second controller and beating them 50-0 or something to unlock a load of gamerscore)? That's what I've always thought anyway.

If so I wish they'd just realise that most of us don't care about it, let the kids spend a week playing against themselves and winning 50-0 so that they get all the achievements if that's what they want to do. Let the rest of us play the game we've paid for the way we want to.

I'm presuming it's the invention of achievements/trophies which put an end to this (to stop people controlling the CPU with a second controller and beating them 50-0 or something to unlock a load of gamerscore)? That's what I've always thought anyway.

If so I wish they'd just realise that most of us don't care about it, let the kids spend a week playing against themselves and winning 50-0 so that they get all the achievements if that's what they want to do. Let the rest of us play the game we've paid for the way we want to.

good point, but the first time they "forgot" about this feature was in a playstation 2 version (i think it was pes 2) but then they put it in again until the changed to the playstation 3 version, where it completely disappeared (in pes 08 and 09). so i don't think it has only to do with the trophies...

i bet against anybody that this much loved feature won't be in pes 2010... it's a shame because i still think FIFA's not satisfying cause the shooting and crossing feels powerless...

Last edited:
Yeah, me and my bro play the exact same way, only with clubteams instead.
It would be a shame if the feature is not in PES 2010. It really is fun to play like that, cause you learn how to play with much weeker teams aswell.

That was possible in previous versions like 2008 or 2009 with Kitserver, there was an specific option to activate that. No one knows if it will be enabled by default again, but if it isn't, you still can have the hope that someone makes an utility to enable that like before.

That was possible in previous versions like 2008 or 2009 with Kitserver, there was an specific option to activate that. No one knows if it will be enabled by default again, but if it isn't, you still can have the hope that someone makes an utility to enable that like before.

Yeah, but I'm playing on the PS3 so Kitserver isn't helping me.
Does anyone know if it will be implemented in the game??

This is the best mode of playing pes. If isn´t implemented in pes2010 i will not buy it.
Is implemented in Fifa10?

This is the best mode of playing pes. If isn´t implemented in pes2010 i will not buy it.
Is implemented in Fifa10?

yes, it is implemented in fifa2010! i bought it only for that reason and now i'm really happy to be able to play a football game in this mode.

still no confirmed news of this feature in pes2010?
would be perfect but the chance is almost non-existent, i bet it is not there...

any CONFIRMED news on this feature yet?

I think this will help when having mates over for multi-player leagues and cups.

With all the build up and discussion around the stunning visuals and overhauled Master League, there's one new feature in PES 2010 that has slipped under the radar. The Community Mode.

An expansion on the Memorial Matches of old, this new mode is capable of creating custom league and cup competitions with all your mates while keeping track of all the stats amongst other things.

At first glance through the game, it would appear that Konami have removed all the custom cup and leagues from the main mode, but after further investigation they are now located within Community Mode allowing people to create cups with a mixture of club and national sides and fully editable line-ups.

There's enough space to register 32 of your closest PES playing buddies and the game will keep track of all matches and allow you to compare and finally end debates over who is the best player. One of the nice little additions I noticed was the ability for each user to have their own button config(we all have that friend who likes switching the buttons around).

Definitely one of the best additions this year in my book.

I think this will help when having mates over for multi-player leagues and cups.

The question still remains tho jimmy... Even with community mode, when we face a cpu opponent during a cup, can one of the community members take over control for that one game?

Last edited:
The question still remains tho jimmy... Even with community mode, when we face a cpu opponent during a cup, can one of the community members take over control for that one game?

I've just checked elsewhere mate, and apparently the answer is still no. That sucks. Sorry about that, I thought this may be the answer we had been looking for.

It is a bit rubbish aint it tho i have found it more exciting pitting my wits agaianst freinds when we are just one team. I dont mind playing the computer in early rounds and for me makes it more exciting thinking i could meet my mates in the quarters or semis. to each there own i suppose :)

That's horrible, because a night of 2 on 2 would be great if you were to start a world cup with 2 teams, and take each other on battling for the finals. Such a simple little option.

I've just checked elsewhere mate, and apparently the answer is still no. That sucks. Sorry about that, I thought this may be the answer we had been looking for.

I guess I have to play FIFA 2010 only because of the possibilty to play against my mates despite I still think PES is the far better football game.
Seems I will play PES only online and when my friends are around, we have to play EA's title - this really sucks!

Back
Top Bottom