Play.com is shipping now...

Could be they've accidentally-on-purpose advertised they're shipping now to lure prospective customers to them rather than the competition, only to correct their website next week to give the true shipping date.

Could be they've accidentally-on-purpose advertised they're shipping now to lure prospective customers to them rather than the competition, only to correct their website next week to give the true shipping date.
Sounds accurate to me.

Surely they can't break the release date by a week, strikes or no strikes... EA would be furious...

How is it classed as breaking the street date if they start shipping over the weekend instead of tuesday/wednesday?

How is it classed as breaking the street date if they start shipping over the weekend instead of tuesday/wednesday?
Shipping the day before release is different than shipping A WEEK before release.

I vaguely remember this happening before, with the situation that winston described, but I can't remember if it was Play or not. But this is the first time I would have ever seen a game sent out this early, and it's not like there haven't been postal strikes before.

I think its great, considering i have the dentist on thursday, so i wont be in the mood to play it then lol

the difference is they're selling it now before everyone else...legally, every one else is allowed to sell it now...its competition rules
That's true, but I've been in this situation before and you need to prove it to the guys you want to release the game early. So you'll need to call Play, then get a contact name and number, then ring e.g. ShopTo and get them to ring that person and confirm it.

Only needs one person to do it though at least. ;)

Can't they just avoid being classed as 'selling' by just shipping and taking money next week?
As if they'd ever give you something without taking the money first. ;)

If they do start shipping I'll be very interested to see what they have to say about it, what their reasoning is etc...

I think I'll just leave it. I don't even live by the sea, so I don't how the ship will get down my street.

maybe its to combat the illegal activities going on?

If this is true then i must say bravo EA, finally someone prepared to combat pirates, rather than staying stubborn to the release date

If this is true then i must say bravo EA, finally someone prepared to combat pirates, rather than staying stubborn to the release date
I agree entirely, but it wouldn't happen that quickly, surely. It's outside of work hours and it's the weekend tomorrow as well.

Yeah suppose Chris, but all it would take would be an email to stores to say there on the way and you can sell when you get them..

EDIT: assuming they dont already have them

Play.com shipping now means you'll probably get it in a couple of weeks... they have been :CENSOR: the last few times i've used them.

We get this every year with Play.com. They do indeed change their order status to 'shipping' ridiculously early - and it STAYS that way until the Wednesday (sometimes the Tuesday). Only then do all those 'shipping' orders become 'shipped'. How many extra orders do you think this tactic hoovers up for them in the meantime? Exactly.

I used Play.com for years and saw them use this early 'shipping' tactic without fail year in, year out. They're using it again this year, and the forums are getting excited again. Don't be fooled.

They'll still get the orders out on Tues/Weds and many will get it a day early, but most will 'only' get it on the Friday. Some on the Saturday. (An unlucky few on the Monday.)

I think it was in the year of PES6 that they messed up with me and I didn't get the game until the following Monday morning. I switched to GAME.co.uk and I've always had my new games on the Thursday ever since. That does me.

Last edited:
Seems alot of companies are doing the same.
My order is currently on awaiting dispatch from Tesco and should be dispatched within 24 hours

Seems alot of companies are doing the same.
My order is currently on awaiting dispatch from Tesco and should be dispatched within 24 hours

If that is accurate, you should - in theory - be able to go to any Tesco store and just buy over the counter.

Back
Top Bottom