PES 2019 Discussion Thread (PS4, XB1)

But how intelligent does the pachinko machine (japanese version of slot machine) has to be? Smart and fair or easily rigged, so that the House is overall in profit?

With current focus on online (myclub microtransaction profits), and knowing that Konami's (Konami as an entire corporation, not merely PES team) huge source of income comes from gambling industry (before mentioned Pachinko's), do they even want to develop fair and competent AI for offline modes?

Of course it is a myth, alone because you never know when this diffence kicks in, how much it influences or boosts stats or what is really responsible for this. Team spirit? Fatigue?

But the question still remains: What could be a better way to check & compare the core mechanics as a basic exhibition game (or at least the game mode you are playing regularly)? PES2018 & PES2019 passed the test easily, you won´t get any presents in exhibition mode on maxed difficulty levels. PES2016 & PES2017 were shockingly easy, both in exhibition and tournaments. I can hardly be the solution, even if PES unfolds somewhere deep in master league to a level the other modes can´t reach. So what´s the intention in hanging on with that myth-discussion?

"myth" in the everyday talk means mostly "non existent" or "false".

You can say inconsistent or hardly measurable and we could even kinda agree but to say it's a "myth" it's incorrect.

But I agree we can move on from it.

Best option for me is a permanent difficulty level, like on legend in PES2018 and PES2019. It is always present in exhibition and tournaments (can´t say about ML, as i underline) and provides a realistic resistance by the CPU

Realistic resistance? All I see is the cpu boosting his defenders and neutering your forwards stats. And viceversa, of course, when it's the low team trash forward of the CPU in front of your door, that is able to put the same high ball in the net for the hundredth time.

That's hardly what I'd call a state of art simulation. In fact this feels more like pure, well, "scripting".

What baffles me...

When you have a decent AI base, like lets say, pes2018 (cant speak about 17 yet as I havent started it), where you have more or less all basics ticked off (AI runs, creativity, dribbling, shots from distance, apart from 18 being too "clean")...

how hard is to create challenging difficulty, where teams are playing differently, without having to enter hardcore scripting territory?

Look at the traits, advance tactics and all the options they have. Im sure deep down the code they also have some Konami version of sliders.

You take every team and depending on their level you set tactics, strategy and so on.
Lower teams play deeper, more defensive, focusing on counters, where higher are more bold and play possession.

You increase player runs for good teams, dribbling for star players, shots fron distance etc.
You really dont need to touch finishing and pass accuracy! Thats where stats should kick in!

Im just a simple fella and Im a big fan of simple logic. It really doesnt seems to be hard to make it challenging without having to take shortcuts.

And thats all they did. Shortest, simplest way to achieve difficulty. Increased surgical precision for AI, dumbing down out team.

They have all the blocks there, it just a matter of putting it together into some logical, realistic shape.

Have any of you guys managed to score one of those Rising shots (that where a big thing in the trailer for the game if I remember correct) when using manual/advanced shooting (and, of course, with a player who has that trait)? I watched a video by that Spoony pizza- guy but he used Basic shooting. I have never seen one of those goals since the game was released.

Have any of you guys managed to score one of those Rising shots (that where a big thing in the trailer for the game if I remember correct) when using manual/advanced shooting (and, of course, with a player who has that trait)? I watched a video by that Spoony pizza- guy but he used Basic shooting. I have never seen one of those goals since the game was released.

Nope. Shooting in general is a let down for me this year. It would be okay if they didn't use it at as a main feature this year. They said they worked on it but I think the difference to Pes 18 is pretty small tbh. After I saw that trailer with the dipping and rising shots I was pretty hyped as shooting (goal scoring satisfaction) was one of my main concerns the last years. But like I said I was let down because I never experience those kind of shots. And shots from distance are almost impossible to score in general it's laughable. For me they have to improve it big time with completely revamped R2 shooting where you can score real curlers (not those slow ones) from outside of the box. But I don't have high hopes for Pes 20 as it was already a "feature" in Pes 19.

Folks who play both the game this year (FIFA19 & PES2019), which one do you think has the more randomness as an overall? OFFLINE mode, hence playing against AI and not human.
  • Randomness in how a score can be scored.
  • Randomness in how you get through your AI opponent (dribbling).
  • Randomness in how you pass the ball, how the through ball is not on the same pattern over and over again.
  • Randomness in how AI scored a goal against you.
By randomness, i do not mean scripting. By scripting, my understanding is that you're forced to lose by AI, by making your players acted extremely lethargic than them, cursor doesn't move to the crucial player who you should be switching to, etc etc. Nothing like that.

No and I haven't scored one in basic either. The dipping/rising shot animations are there purely for visual effect in my opinion. What's the point when long range goals are once in a blue moon?

How are you finding 18?

As Middlesbrough in 17, I played Chelsea on Superstar and drew 0-0 - it felt great, but I wondered if maybe it was too easy considering the difference between the teams. Chelsea had a pass accuracy of 80%, which felt wrong.

So I tried 18 again, as Burnley v Man United on Superstar, and got beat 1-0 - but it didn't feel right, because United were playing long balls to Ibra all day long and Ibra was just smashing long-range shots at goal, never running into the penalty box even when there was space. They ended up with 90% pass accuracy, which (from humping balls forward all game) definitely felt wrong!

I have my issues with 18 but it plays a solid game. To be honest the long balls feel like a Godsend in comparison to how the AI plays on 19

i got a few pre last patch - but then i stopped playing, mainly from backing into players- diving doesnt work at all like last year prior to the final patch - i must have won 10 pens in 2018 by diving on contact - 2019 nothing at all from diving even on contact

Will Penalty Kick ever get awarded to Human ?

In other words, do AI ever concede foul in penalty box in PES2019 ?

No. On my 3rd season of Master League and have not had 1 penalty awarded to me. I cant fault the foul count in the game it seems just right to me, some games only a couple of fouls by AI some have 4 or5 then the very ocassional game which the AI seems to go crazy and kick everything(funny).
But never in the box, seems like it would be an easy fix, and adjustment to the AI frequency of tackling in the box.

What baffles me...

When you have a decent AI base, like lets say, pes2018 (cant speak about 17 yet as I havent started it), where you have more or less all basics ticked off (AI runs, creativity, dribbling, shots from distance, apart from 18 being too "clean")...

how hard is to create challenging difficulty, where teams are playing differently, without having to enter hardcore scripting territory?

Look at the traits, advance tactics and all the options they have. Im sure deep down the code they also have some Konami version of sliders.

You take every team and depending on their level you set tactics, strategy and so on.
Lower teams play deeper, more defensive, focusing on counters, where higher are more bold and play possession.

You increase player runs for good teams, dribbling for star players, shots fron distance etc.
You really dont need to touch finishing and pass accuracy! Thats where stats should kick in!

Im just a simple fella and Im a big fan of simple logic. It really doesnt seems to be hard to make it challenging without having to take shortcuts.

And thats all they did. Shortest, simplest way to achieve difficulty. Increased surgical precision for AI, dumbing down out team.

They have all the blocks there, it just a matter of putting it together into some logical, realistic shape.

Your right all the basics of a great game are there, it just needs adjusted in certain areas, even scripting is acceptable if it were toned down and not so severe.
Maybe Konami know if we ever get a 10/10 game like the old PES6 we will stick with it never buy new games. I would even be willing to pay for a seasonal update from them say 9.99 if it was implemented correctly and say gave you an extra league or 2 every year , new competitons(nations league?)

I think I've had less than 10 penalties on Pes 17 (15+ seasons)
1 penalty on Pes 18 (4-5 seasons)
0 penalties on Pes 19 (3-4 seasons)

That's around 10-11 penalties in 25 ish seasons...
And 99% was on Pes 17.

Your right all the basics of a great game are there, it just needs adjusted in certain areas, even scripting is acceptable if it were toned down and not so severe.
Maybe Konami know if we ever get a 10/10 game like the old PES6 we will stick with it never buy new games. I would even be willing to pay for a seasonal update from them say 9.99 if it was implemented correctly and say gave you an extra league or 2 every year , new competitons(nations league?)
Abso-fucking-lutely!
I also believe they shouldnt do annual games. There is no need for it nowadays. If they delivered solid, polished game that looks like 19 and plays well in all the modes, they would be picking fruits for ages.

All theyd have to do is Data Packs for the duration of its life cycle (lets say 3 years). Imagine - they could release DataPack for every league. All the faces, stadiums, boards, all the bells and whistles.
Some little DLC for World Cup or Euro Cup..

On the side they could slowly work on the next game, no pressure, lots of time.

WTF is this commentary?

In the last 20mins of an exhibition match :
That's the job in a nutshell x2
Peter, they have to keep calm x2
Keep calm and carry on x2

Adam Bhatti and henchman Daniel, your game is so crap I have to switch parts of it off like the weak commentary.

I even bought legend edition and consciously disabled myclub.

Such a joke. Make sure you get PES 2020 right. You've had more than enough time.

Edit: booted up 2018, no commentary. i'm calm again.

Last edited:
Anyone who buys PES2020 on release would have to be insane after this year. I am waiting for at least FIFA release date which is about 4-5 weeks to read peoples opinions on it. The demo will no doubt play OK and then the issues will start to arise

Yeah but look how quickly the defender catches up to you from 00:47 to 00:48.
Plus it's a big, heavy defender, against a smaller, quicker player. If you would've kept the ball for one more second, he would have dispossessed you. That's more or less what I've been talking about.
I think that's Koulibaly and he's fast in real life and in the game also.
Also it's normal that a player without the ball can run faster than a player with the ball.
I know that this may happen with other slower players also but i'm just saying because you mentioned this specific case.
Personally i'm seeing less catch up in Pes 19 than any other recent Pes.

Also it's normal that a player without the ball can run faster than a player with the ball.
I know that this may happen with other slower players also but i'm just saying because you mentioned this specific case.
go back to play some 2018, fast players can out pace enemies much easier than 2019

Yes its Koulibaly

Anyone who buys PES2020 on release would have to be insane after this year. I am waiting for at least FIFA release date which is about 4-5 weeks to read peoples opinions on it. The demo will no doubt play OK and then the issues will start to arise
Well,i guess i'm insane then.lol
I get it for 30 euros from key stores for pc though so it's nothing.
Also i'm pretty sure that at least for me it's gonna be better than the previous which is always the case in recent years.

Doesn't matter which game it is,I won't buy it first day (Fifa/Pes) for a few reasons
But mainly because I want it updated,and if I'm a bit cheapish I'd rather wait til Xmas and get 50% off.

This season both games dropped fast in price.

Got both FIFA and Pes quite close on release day (Pes Monday released friday )
Fifa came with my new console ,and Pes was €14-15 (thank you Elgiganten).

I can't say what I'm going to do. Last year I was determined not to buy it unless 2019 came with gameplay sliders or unless it was the best football game ever. And I ended up buying it in the first week anyway. Cuz that's how weak I am.

I would love to think I'm strong enough not to buy it unless it does come with all the strong features we talk about all the time. But I will probably but it anyways just because I enjoy modding it as much as I should enjoy playing it.

Pes 2020 for me if

1. Keepers animations and AI will be changed
2. Custom cameras
3. New looking menus
4. Better atmosphere and chants
5. Deeper EDIT MODE
6.More fluid animations and better pshysics
7.Less assist passing
8.More licensed European stadia.
9.Better commentary
10. Licensed scoreboards for each leagues.

Pes 2020 for me if

2. Custom cameras
3. New looking menus
5. Deeper EDIT MODE
7.Less assist passing
9.Better commentary
Well,i guess you're not buying it then.lol

I got Pes 2019 from shopto for £28.85 not that long after the release date. I still feel that I paid way too much for it! Will bide my time even more this year, as my new moto re the Pes game/team is "fuk 'em"

Pes 2020 for me if

2. Custom cameras
3. New looking menus
5. Deeper EDIT MODE
7.Less assist passing
9.Better commentary

FUMA filters on online mode and no more MyClub teams in CO-OP mode.

Main reason I got 17 and updated 18 was next few months and fear of falling under 20 hype train.

I dont hold a grudge and Im not a hater by any means, but I believe they dont deserve my trust and my money for few reasons.
3 of them hit me particularly strong:

1) quiet and sneaky removal of D2's
2) lies about Master League, replacing screen shots to cover up how bad it is
3) 2.5 months of simply unplayable AI. Its still bad, its shallow, but until November 25th, when they toned down WingLowCross Obsession it was unplayable.

To me those (especially first 2) are unforgivable, as they were all conscious, dishonest, pure asshole moves.

So when 20 comes, ill be reading all the opinions here, looking at youtube clips and depending on what you guys say and what I see - ill get it then. Preferably pre owned, out of principles. Fool me once..

In this video:
1. I like free kicks as it is. It is easier to score than before, but it is like it should to be.
In earlier editions you had to master it to score here and there from a free kick. In Pes 2019 it is just right.
2. It is just a nice bomb from Batistuta.
3. Funny.

I just wanna share my pain with you lot

In this video:
1. I like free kicks as it is. It is easier to score than before, but it is like it should to be.
In earlier editions you had to master it to score here and there from a free kick. In Pes 2019 it is just right.
2. It is just a nice bomb from Batistuta.
3. Funny.

IMO free kicks are too easy, it really doesn't feel rewarding for me. But maybe it's a design choice to counterbalance the lack of fouls.

I just wanna share my pain with you lot

IMO free kicks are too easy, it really doesn't feel rewarding for me. But maybe it's a design choice to counterbalance the lack of fouls.
Thats whats happening with our defense. Im sure if I watched replays from the goals I conceded against AI, a third of them would have ball going through my players legs.
The only reason I dont watch them is that if I see another top corner missile from AI - ill fucking eat the controller.

And I do agree - fouls are a bit too easy. Not a lot, but still. I was scoring too many of them in my ML.

Back
Top Bottom