PES 2019 Discussion Thread (PS4, XB1)

I could give that sentence back to you in exactly the same words. I think its basic knowledge everyone can just speak for himself in here.

The shown playstyle in the PES2017 vid is exemplary to point out the complete absence of CPU awareness. The game doesn´t get more challenging if you start to use passing, as you can imagine.

This difference between friendlies and ML is a myth, too. I can expect that friendlies and tournaments give my a halfway decent soccer AI as well. If ML is truly a difference (i don´t play it), it is most probable down to scripting. I don´t think KONAMI saved the PES2017 wonder AI exclusively to ML players.
No offense or salt here, but i cannot understand how you have opinion about Exhib VS ML ; since you stated you dont play ML. Correct me if i'm wrong.

This difference between friendlies and ML is a myth, too. I can expect that friendlies and tournaments give my a halfway decent soccer AI as well. If ML is truly a difference (i don´t play it), it is most probable down to scripting. I don´t think KONAMI saved the PES2017 wonder AI exclusively to ML players.

It is certainly not.
Just by saying this you are undermining yourself and the rest of your posts because it will be hard to take you seriously from now on. In fact, you can check it yourself if you have PES on PC.

The shown playstyle in the PES2017 vid is exemplary of somebody trying to cheese the game at an unknown difficulty.. nothing more, really.

The difficulty level is shown before the start of the game. Besides, if you are so familiar with the staples of the saga you should see it is barely beginner level.

No offense or salt here, but i cannot understand how you have opinion about Exhib VS ML ; since you stated you dont play ML. Correct me if i'm wrong.

As i said, i don´t play ML and never did on any PES game before. But that´s not the point, as i can compare the PES gameplay difficulty through the years in terms of offline league mode and tournaments. Here i see a clear "evolution" in challenge since PES2018 after the catastrophal issues of 2016 and 2017.

If it is really necessary to select a mode with fantasy players and abnormal transfer policy to get a halfway demanding gameplay, you can add this to the list of PES worst issues.

Yeah but look how quickly the defender catches up to you from 00:47 to 00:48.
Plus it's a big, heavy defender, against a smaller, quicker player. If you would've kept the ball for one more second, he would have dispossessed you. That's more or less what I've been talking about.
I agree,my small player got closed down way to fast the last 2-3 meters.
I know what you mean,it's a cheaty way to keep the CPU defending tight.
Still I consider it being scripting since you can break free on other occasions and not be caught.
Catch up bug or general scripting mess,doesn't matter what its called,still a poor and lazy short cut by Konami

That's of course the point if you are giving us opinions on a mode you never ever played.

If you would concentrate on reading, you would see i am giving opinions on offline modes (tournament, league) throughout the last PES titles.

I don´t know how it could be made clearer that i don´t know anything about ML´s particular gameplay, as it is not a realistic experience for me.

If you would concentrate on reading
If there's another insult we're going to have to break out the banhammer folks. This is aimed at everyone. Keep it civil - the conversation has been really good in here in recent weeks, let's not do this.

No...no....no...
It even feels different when playing an Exb Vs ML.
It's even a difference between ML and league mode.

Correct!
Exhibition Mode gives you that "What I great game I just played!"
While MOST ML games give you that "Meh" feeling. Like a "Should I play one more or throw this game away?" feeling.

Correct!
Exhibition Mode gives you that "What I great game I just played!"
While MOST ML games give you that "Meh" feeling. Like a "Should I play one more or throw this game away?" feeling.
Big difference between those modes.
You always start from scratch with no history when playing exhibition.
ML always has a Vs com stats clouding it.

No...no....no...
It even feels different when playing an Exb Vs ML.
It's even a difference between ML and league mode.

That´s a thing we all know, and we all know that at certain "environments" different stats are boosted (or not).

But what´s the official game mode to judge and compare a PES game now? Or let´s ask in a different way: Would you expect Barcelona to get beaten by Flamenco with zero passes in a friendly match?

Big difference between those modes.
You always start from scratch with no history when playing exhibition.
ML always has a Vs com stats clouding it.

I don't think they realise how much of a better game PES would be offline, if Master League matches played exactly as exhibition mode ones do.

Well, to say that the difference between a friendly and a ML match is a "myth" seems like a very neat opinion that would presume a (very good) first hand experience, since it contradicts the experience of practically all people who played both here.

Sorry @Chris Davies .. just this last reply or I'll look like an illiterate :LOL:. I don't have particular will to keep arguing on this, anyway.

United were playing long balls to Ibra all day long and Ibra was just smashing long-range shots at goal, never running into the penalty box even when there was space. They ended up with 90% pass accuracy, which (from humping balls forward all game) definitely felt wrong

You should really sack Jose Chris.

Ps I know what you mean,the long ball passing accuracy is not good in Pes
Especially since it's mainly high long balls.

That´s a thing we all know, and we all know that at certain "environments" different stats are boosted (or not).

But what´s the official game mode to judge and compare a PES game now? Or let´s ask in a different way: Would you expect Barcelona to get beaten by Flamenco with zero passes in a friendly match?
You can exploit what ever in a game if you want to,and obviously that shouldn't happen,but then again if I had time,is probably edit a league with both Flamengo and Barca in it,and I bet the outcome would be different.

Well, to say that the difference between a friendly and a ML match is a "myth" seems like a very neat opinion that would presume a (very good) first hand experience, since it contradicts the experience of practically all people who played both here.

Sorry @Chris Davies .. just this last reply or I'll look like an illiterate :LOL:. I don't have particular will to keep arguing on this, anyway.

You know what? I think ice-cream is horrible. Really, disgusting. It tastes like feet.
But I have never ever had an ice-cream in my entire life and probably never will. I just know it by reading about it and looking at pictures of people having one.

I don't think they realise how much of a better game PES would be offline, if Master League matches played exactly as exhibition mode ones do.
It would be a truly great game.
To bad they're stubborn/stupid as a donkey and don't realise it

Of course it is a myth, alone because you never know when this diffence kicks in, how much it influences or boosts stats or what is really responsible for this. Team spirit? Fatigue?

But the question still remains: What could be a better way to check & compare the core mechanics as a basic exhibition game (or at least the game mode you are playing regularly)? PES2018 & PES2019 passed the test easily, you won´t get any presents in exhibition mode on maxed difficulty levels. PES2016 & PES2017 were shockingly easy, both in exhibition and tournaments. I can hardly be the solution, even if PES unfolds somewhere deep in master league to a level the other modes can´t reach. So what´s the intention in hanging on with that myth-discussion?

Last edited:
You know what? I think ice-cream is horrible. Really, disgusting. It tastes like feet.
But I have never ever had an ice-cream in my entire life and probably never will. I just know it by reading about it and looking at pictures of people having one.

Unfortunatly neither ice-cream nor master league is the topic i refer to, but the difference in basic, uninfluenced gameplay of the last PES titles.

Unfortunatly neither ice-cream nor master league is the topic i refer to, but the difference in basic, uninfluenced gameplay of the last PES titles.

I get your point. And I could even agree. But when you buy a game, you expect it to be an all-around product with a certain quality among all game modes. And when you play one game mode that makes you feel like it's a very good game -potentially the best of the current generation- and then go and play another game mode that's supposed to be 'deeper' (we could discuss how deep ML actually is some other time) but it actually ruins the first experience, then... that's where I cannot agree with you. Much less when you called it "a myth", mate.

I get your point. And I could even agree. But when you buy a game, you expect it to be an all-around product with a certain quality among all game modes. And when you play one game mode that makes you feel like it's a very good game -potentially the best of the current generation- and then go and play another game mode that's supposed to be 'deeper' (we could discuss how deep ML actually is some other time) but it actually ruins the first experience, then... that's where I cannot agree with you. Much less when you called it "a myth", mate.

It appears to me that we define the impact of "myth" in a different context here. I am absolutely aware that games feel differently in exhibition and other modes like tournaments due to arrows and individual conditions alone. But it is not predictable if this "extra-boost" by the CPU kicks in or not. If you say in ML it is always and ever an invisible difficulty level up, i will believe it. But this would lead all other game modes ad absurdum, at least if the core logic isn´t stable enough anyway.

It appears to me that we define the impact of "myth" in a different context here. I am absolutely aware that games feel differently in exhibition and other modes like tournaments due to arrows and individual conditions alone. But it is not predictable if this "extra-boost" by the CPU kicks in or not. If you say in ML it is always and ever an invisible difficulty level up, i will believe it. But this would lead all other game modes ad absurdum, at least if the core logic isn´t stable enough anyway.

It's not "an invisible difficulty level up".
It's the combination of Team Spirit + Rival you're playing against + Script.
Those 3 factors make ML gameplay more clunky, less spontaneous, more frustrating, less enjoyable.
Whereas as soon as you exit Master League mode, and recreate the exact same match you just played (same teams, same stadium, same conditions) in Exhibition mode, everything just... flows. Suddenly the AI stops predicting every move you try to make on 1on1s. The AI tries different things too. There's no scripting. The AI doesn't handicap you if you're 1 up and there's only 20 minutes left and then miraculously score an equaliser. ETC.

And this has been that way since PES 2015 or 16. But it has become more evident in recent versions.

The more complex the game gets,the more "realistic" gameplay/motions we demand,the more they have to dial up the cheating from the CPU to fight that,rather than revamp the AI,making it smarter/more life-like
Thats a great point.
There is a challenge, and there is frustration. Challenge is good. Frustration not so much.
2019 feels most cheaty, shallow and cheap, to cover up underdeveloped AI.

You say I can drop difficulty and raise pass assistance, @philla .

But,

No1: im already on Profesional, and the game is still breaking my balls with cheap moves, where I know exactly what theyr gonna do, but cant do shit to prevent it.
No2: I've never player anything above PassAssistance 1, and I dont understand why should I have to change it (decreasing my overall satisfaction from playing and making it automated) to counter shallow, cheaty AI?

Besides - were you not the one, who said in the past that there is no point playing pes19 on anything below Legend?

So, if you find Legend ballanced and enjoyable to play - thats fantastic. I envy you and wish I was the same. I wouldnt be sitting now, as we speak and installing OF for Pes17.
But for me 2019 in its current state is predictable, boring, shallow and frustrating torture and thats not what its all about, right?

The more complex the game gets,the more "realistic" gameplay/motions we demand,the more they have to dial up the cheating from the CPU to fight that,rather than revamp the AI,making it smarter/more life-like

Agreed. In an ideal world they would do some research in AI and invest heavily in machine learning. There are amazing things that are already done with new technologies and sooner or later – that's my absolute conviction – this will affect gaming.

Then again, I am not so sure whether the limitations we are facing are due to Konami's (or EAs) limited expertise in programming or whether they are not purposely designed into the system in order to drive users elsewhere. In the latter case we will of course never see a decent offline mode ever again.

It's not "an invisible difficulty level up".
It's the combination of Team Spirit + Rival you're playing against + Script.
Those 3 factors make ML gameplay more clunky, less spontaneous, more frustrating, less enjoyable.
Whereas as soon as you exit Master League mode, and recreate the exact same match you just played (same teams, same stadium, same conditions) in Exhibition mode, everything just... flows. Suddenly the AI stops predicting every move you try to make on 1on1s. The AI tries different things too. There's no scripting. The AI doesn't handicap you if you're 1 up and there's only 20 minutes left and then miraculously score an equaliser. ETC.

And this has been that way since PES 2015 or 16. But it has become more evident in recent versions.

Exactly these 3 factors influence regular tournaments and seasons as well, so if there is no additional "magic" in ML this is exactly what i am saying. If even the exhibition match is beyond logic in terms of AI behaviour (like PES2017), the ML or tournaments won´t get any "better" - apart from occasional scripting.

Best option for me is a permanent difficulty level, like on legend in PES2018 and PES2019. It is always present in exhibition and tournaments (can´t say about ML, as i underline) and provides a realistic resistance by the CPU which is missing in PES2017 and PES2016. Unfortunatly, it gets really tricky when boosts and scripts kick in.

Last edited:
Agreed. In an ideal world they would do some research in AI and invest heavily in machine learning. There are amazing things that are already done with new technologies and sooner or later – that's my absolute conviction – this will affect gaming.

Then again, I am not so sure whether the limitations we are facing are due to Konami's (or EAs) limited expertise in programming or whether they are not purposely designed into the system in order to drive users elsewhere. In the latter case we will of course never see a decent offline mode ever again.
Couldn't agree more.
Good points

To follow up on that, perhaps true innovation in this field will not come from a gaming company but rather from the likes of Google. I read about rumors that they plan to enter the console market. If so, they will cetainly not only deliver the hardware but also content at some point. And since they are pretty advanced in AI technology, the idea that they could base gaming mechanisms on data harvesting, AI and machine learning isn't too far off.

Back
Top Bottom