PES 2019 Discussion Thread (PS4, XB1)

I think player ID can be a bit sketchy
But,after have faced Immobile in Lazio,and earlier today,Insigne in Napoli,I’ve had a horrible scare vs those guys.
Maybe it needs to be better/more?
I’m playing zero game speed which makes my fast/tricky players do stuff very naturally
I used to play -1,even though pace is good there,animation/feints/movement isn’t,from both

Also,the “no dribbling from cpu” must be a myth since the last patch,I’m seeing it a lot,especially from players mentioned above.
How are you guys (ML Elitists) seeing that issue/myth?

Wow mate, really!?

I did a bunch of friendlies yesterday and while it felt nice on the ball, never noticed cpu dribbling much than the usual. But you are one of the users I trust more so of course I accept your word as true. Maybe in the ML, or with the tactical adjustments you made, CPU dribble?

By the way I agree with you that at zero speed you feel attributes in a better fashion. It's something I'm convinced of since a while..

I take your point, and the other game proves that hyper-responsiveness removes realism. But there's got to be a middle-ground. Every player "feels" virtually identical to me, and this is something the classic PES games used to nail.
Agree totally, every player feels the same in this game, in the old gen,i could tell when for example etoo was tired after 75 min,that when i substitute him with henrik larsson for example,i would directly feel the difference in both players, and the attributes that larrsson would bring into the game...this individuality was nailed right in those games, i don t enjoy pes 2019 because of this...every player feels the same when running , moving, attacking.. i don t know if people agree with what i said compared to the old gen pes

Agree totally, every player feels the same in this game, in the old gen,i could tell when for example etoo was tired after 75 min,that when i substitute him with henrik larsson for example,i would directly feel the difference in both players, and the attributes that larrsson would bring into the game...this individuality was nailed right in those games, i don t enjoy pes 2019 because of this...every player feels the same when running , moving, attacking.. i don t know if people agree with what i said compared to the old gen pes

I would agree when you talk about the AI. But amongst my players there is clearly ID. Pogba, Lukaku, Hummels, Dalbert, Baldé, Naingolan, Kroos, James. They all move differently and have different touches, some (Kroos) are actually spot on imo.

Wow mate, really!?

I did a bunch of friendlies yesterday and while it felt nice on the ball, never noticed cpu dribbling much than the usual. But you are one of the users I trust more so of course I accept your word as true. Maybe in the ML, or with the tactical adjustments you made, CPU dribble?

By the way I agree with you that at zero speed you feel attributes in a better fashion. It's something I'm convinced of since a while..
Cheers Mac
It's not like they're dribbling themselves into a coma,but I haven't played this since pretty much the release,and compared to then,much more.
Maybe it's a low count still,but I see them almost every game,at least when you have a solid dribbler coming at you

Could be a ML thing,or just the fact that some has it programmed ,don't know mate.

Yes zero game speed is where you want it at, lovely pace

Might not be the best example,but had it on my OneDrive (a game earlier today)
And I see things like this quite often

It's kind of funny when you think of it, how small changes can so massively influence the experience of this game. I mean minimizing "support range" alone COMPLETELY changed the game for me now. There is all of the sudden the midfield battles everyone always complained about missing! Suddenly I am dominant and can dictate the flow of the game rather than chasing the AI like a maniac and last-ditching every attack.

As a consequence this also means that we often talk past each other without anyone being wrong. Few weeks ago I'd have said, this game is shit, it's too end to end, there is no midfield, it's all about attack. And someone here could have answered: what are you talking about, I have lots of midfield action. Turns out both of us would have been right, just because one had the support range all the way up, the other all the way down.

Where do you change support level?
I tried emroths 2nd pressure button tactic yesterday , seems impossible to keep your eyes on the guy under controll and the 2nd guy pressing at the same time. Maybe im too focused on hunting down the player with the ball at all costs. I lost 4-2 to Torino whos finshing was deadly again. And im only on proffesional level. Do you think the AI overcompensates its lack of ability at this level by making these goalscorers deadly ?

I tried emroths 2nd pressure button tactic yesterday , seems impossible to keep your eyes on the guy under controll and the 2nd guy pressing at the same time. Maybe im too focused on hunting down the player with the ball at all costs. I lost 4-2 to Torino whos finshing was deadly again. And im only on proffesional level. Do you think the AI overcompensates its lack of ability at this level by making these goalscorers deadly ?
And "waters down" your own players,thats My experience with profesional vs TP and SS

And "waters down" your own players,thats My experience with profesional vs TP and SS

Yes, this is true. Playing a more tactical approach specially makes this a very good game! CPU has a totally diferent behaviour. For years I thought that PES makes you play a specific way, and I see now more than ever that this is true. It´s the minor things here and there that you´ll notice match after match. After this approach, matches have been varied, and CPU players have become very diferent from each other. Against Man Utd I´ve strugled to hold Lukaku, has I didn´t had anyone with the physical power to fight him. Again, agaisnt Bournemouth, I believe it was Aké (spelling?), with his height winning every header and making me struggle on each corner kick they had.

Thing is this game is more tactical than action, if you prepare your team mentality and positioning, then you can trust your players to do their job. Secondary pressure is just a tool for some situations, because on most cases I just cover the strikers runs and it´s all I need to secure a clean sheet. Once you do this, you´ll see CPU pulling smart moves to avoid your defense and cause havoc on your area. Bournemouth wasn´t really dangerous in that area, but they did won some corners and boy, were they dangerous there!

I find myself having to choose a way to stop CPU moves on the tactics screen, like a chess game. Do I put more players wide and defensive to cover an offensive 4-3-3 and sacrifice attack? Or do I leave some players higher on the pitch to try a goal and sacrifice my defense? Choices...

Game has change a lot for me now with this approach and it´s like I actually stand a chance in every match. Stats are pretty great too! Loving it now!

It's in the Attack Settings. You need to scroll down, there is a slider with 10 (?) bars. I think the consensus is that you should move it all the way down (1 or 2 bars) for short passing game (either counter or possession) and put it high for long balls. It probably depends a lot on the other settings as well.

Don't get confused by the fact that it's in attack and not defence (there it is 'Compactness') it does help me a lot with keeping the ball in my own half when this is down because on high settings the players spread out too much and you run in danger of playing a crossfield pass that will be intercepted by the COM (happened so many times before I changed this)

As for the secondary press. I have the same problems you have that I keep losing sight and often miss the moment when to switch from secondary to selected player. Emroth suggests you should entirely forget about the ball carrier and focus on the other guys, but I have a long way to go to master this (still conceding a lot of goals).

20 minutes on Superstar is fantastic. Thanks for this suggestion. It starts to feel so real now, the pace, the animations. I love how the AI holds back, often lays off the ball before lobbing it downfield. How they play it back and wait for their moment. It really starts to represent the ebb and flow of a real football game. I still have moments in which I want to throw the controller out of the window, but this game has me hooked badly now. Never thought I'd say this.

Yes, this is true. Playing a more tactical approach specially makes this a very good game! CPU has a totally diferent behaviour. For years I thought that PES makes you play a specific way, and I see now more than ever that this is true. It´s the minor things here and there that you´ll notice match after match. After this approach, matches have been varied, and CPU players have become very diferent from each other. Against Man Utd I´ve strugled to hold Lukaku, has I didn´t had anyone with the physical power to fight him. Again, agaisnt Bournemouth, I believe it was Aké (spelling?), with his height winning every header and making me struggle on each corner kick they had.

Thing is this game is more tactical than action, if you prepare your team mentality and positioning, then you can trust your players to do their job. Secondary pressure is just a tool for some situations, because on most cases I just cover the strikers runs and it´s all I need to secure a clean sheet. Once you do this, you´ll see CPU pulling smart moves to avoid your defense and cause havoc on your area. Bournemouth wasn´t really dangerous in that area, but they did won some corners and boy, were they dangerous there!

I find myself having to choose a way to stop CPU moves on the tactics screen, like a chess game. Do I put more players wide and defensive to cover an offensive 4-3-3 and sacrifice attack? Or do I leave some players higher on the pitch to try a goal and sacrifice my defense? Choices...

Game has change a lot for me now with this approach and it´s like I actually stand a chance in every match. Stats are pretty great too! Loving it now!
Same here my friend
Its a very deep game,I feel I have to be prepared every game,and also changing my approach a lot mid game,it's growing a lot in me.

Compared to my careers on Fifa i always have a hard time retiring/selling some players you'll get attached to.

I'm just happy to finally have a game that I can enjoy (since PES 17)
I'm looking to unlock Legend difficulty since it's suppose to be very good.

I'm going to replay my game Vs Napoli since I had to quit it,I'm sure trying to control Milik/Insigne/Mertens will be tough again

Completely agree. Pogba gets dispossessed almost as easy as Ander Herera. Kroos doesn't play much better passes than casemiro. Ronaldo isnt that much deadlier in front of the goal than Douglas Costa. And messi maybe is more agile than Luis Suarez but it doesn't really make a difference if you have him on the ball as you can't beat defenders with pure speed.

I maybe repeat myself here but does anyone remember the old fifa games where you couldn't beat a defender without a skill move? This was one of the main reasons I switched to Pes back in 2004 when I was 13 years old. Now Pes is the same in that regard. The agility is gone and I miss that really much!

For me the issue with this game comes as i said from the non existent individuality, especially when u have player like messi with 94 rating, u can barely dribble with him past a defender, it just doesn t feel to me that i have a 94 rated player in my barcelona team, i dont know why and how,but maybe someone can tell.me how to setup my barcelona team tactics defensively and offe sively would be appreciated

Couldn’t have said it any better.
Thanks for putting my thoughts down in words!! :WORSHIP:

For me the issue with this game comes as i said from the non existent individuality, especially when u have player like messi with 94 rating, u can barely dribble with him past a defender, it just doesn t feel to me that i have a 94 rated player in my barcelona team, i dont know why and how,but maybe someone can tell.me how to setup my barcelona team tactics defensively and offe sively would be appreciated
First thing you need to address is game length/difficulty/Pass assist those things have more impact on your games than most tactical changes.
A game on 20 min and SS will obviously play better and with more individuality than let's say 6 min on profesional and PA3.

I'm having players beating defenders with pace on SS,but rarely on profesional for instance

I'm going to replay my game Vs Napoli since I had to quit it,I'm sure trying to control Milik/Insigne/Mertens will be tough again

Hehe, I was going to quit my game against Atalanta and replay it, I was up 2-0, they came back 2-3, then I put on Icardi and he scored two in the last minutes, a dirty tap-in in the 89th and a scissor kick in 90+3. Won 4-3. Take that, A.I.!

Hehe, I was going to quit my game against Atalanta and replay it, I was up 2-0, they came back 2-3, then I put on Icardi and he scored two in the last minutes, a dirty tap-in in the 89th and a scissor kick in 90+3. Won 4-3. Take that, A.I.!
Had a horrible game Vs your Inter pal,they are sharp as hell to play against.
Not one inch to play in to,and up front really deadly.
Lost 2-0
Had 6 shots,zero on goal

Even though it's claimed here that there's a lack of individuality,I see and play Vs some stunning players every game.
I beat Parma 4-0,but Gervinho was so hard to control.

Secondary press takes a bit of practice. You will have this urge to charge, coz its sort of a habit, if you did it long enough. But if you are one of your CB's and AI player is charging your way, you need to be conscious, that when you charge at him, there is 95% chance that he will pass the ball and run into the gap you just left to receive easy pass.
So, especially when we control our CB's, we need to stay put, take a foot of the gas and see if we can send someone else to put pressure on them. And we need to track all the mofos that run towards our goal.

I have to agree about player ID with the "complaining" crowd tho.
Its my number 1 wish for Pes20.
As much as Im happy enough with star players when controlling them, they dont behave like themselves when AI plays them.
They look like IRL, they run like IRL, they have a lot of animations like IRL.
But personally I cant see the difference between, for example, Hazard and any other player on the pitch when I play against Chelsea.
He doesnt do solo runs, he doesnt do any tricks, very rarely shoots from distance.
Im not "afraid" of any star players.
When I play against Chelsea I should be shitting myself about left wing. I should be man marking Hazard to eliminate the threat. As it stands - its just another player on the pitch.

But I have to say - the closer it gets to Pes20 the more Im afraid that they will give us proper player ID and fuck something else in the process. Something that is working grand in Pes19. That we wont have fouls or injuries in Pes20 for example. They always seems to fix one thing and fuck two up.
But thats a conversation for another day..

Pogba gets dispossessed almost as easy as Ander Herera.

Going back to the comparision with a role playing (or chess) game it could be that the player who dispossessed Pogba simply had better stats in that specific situation. If you look here

https://www.pesmaster.com/p-pogba/pes-2019/player/45023/

you see that Pogba has, for example, a relatively low Body Control value (73). He does have a heavy touch and often does unnecessary things which make him prone to get dispossessed, even though he is so massive (In this case you have to try to shield the ball – let go of all buttons and just move him with the left stick).

I agree, that often the stats in the game don't coincide with the real players, Douglas Costa, for example, is quite overpowered. But I can't say I agree that there is no player ID at all and all players are the same. I have Kroos in my United squad and he is just magnificient. It makes a difference when he is on (not necessarily in score but in chance creation)

And as @rockstrongo said, game length has probably an effect.

I have to agree about player ID with the "complaining" crowd tho.
Its my number 1 wish for Pes20.

I think one thing that influences the perceived lack of player ID on the AI side is that all AI players are generally too overpowered. I mean, I am playing against the likes of Empoli or Huddersfield and they have a bunch of generic players with standard faces and names I've never heard of, but they pass like Pirlo and pull flicks like Ronaldo. IOW the difference between top and bottom players is too small. Nobody really stands out. That and the fact that games against these back benchers are often more challenging than against the big teams.

Well, enough for today. Dortmund sadly got spanked (though I am more of a Bayern fan), time to hit the sack. Good night all.

First thing you need to address is game length/difficulty/Pass assist those things have more impact on your games than most tactical changes.
A game on 20 min and SS will obviously play better and with more individuality than let's say 6 min on profesional and PA3.

I'm having players beating defenders with pace on SS,but rarely on profesional for instance
Im on 15 min, top player, manual controls

I think one thing that influences the perceived lack of player ID on the AI side is that all AI players are generally too overpowered. I mean, I am playing against the likes of Empoli or Huddersfield and they have a bunch of generic players with standard faces and names I've never heard of, but they pass like Pirlo and pull flicks like Ronaldo. IOW the difference between top and bottom players is too small. Nobody really stands out. That and the fact that games against these back benchers are often more challenging than against the big teams.

Well, enough for today. Dortmund sadly got spanked (though I am more of a Bayern fan), time to hit the sack. Good night all.
Could be partially that. But even with that, we should still see more solo runs and surprising shots from star players.
I remember Zidane in past Pes games. He was crazy. You left him a bit of space and he was sending a rocket towards your goalkeeper. Ronaldinho could dance through half of my defense.
I dont have this anymore. This feeling of constant threat when I play against good players.
Aguero other day destroyed me with hat trick, but it was just clinical finishing. There was no tricks and "magic" involved.
I miss that.

Just got my ass kicked by Napoli 3-1 on SS.
But I loved every minute of it.
The scored two goals after a corner scramble.

Between 60th and 80th minute when they were winning 2-1,they started to back down,playing more Def,and I was controlling the game without being able to score.

For me SS is so much better than TP
Less frantic end to end,and much more build up from the CPU,and also more bad touches from them
Luvly little game this

What in the name of fuck have they done to this game? I updated it yesterday with the new stadiums and my goodness the game is like its on steroids.

Its way way to fast even on normal speed. The CPU is overly aggressive and seems even worse with its one touch ping pong passing. I just played Rangers vs St Johnston and they were back heeling it around the area for fun, I couldn't keep up.

GARBAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Had beautiful match playing Ajax against Madrid. They pressured hard and I did the same only harder. Like tonight. It was lovely. And when they tried to pressure me a few times, I did some some manual long balls to switch sides and get out or freed myself with some fast one touch passes. I set Ajax to play very tight. Matt’s line height fix and some marking too.
Have to play this again tmw!! :)

Edit: as someone said before me, and I don’t wanna claim that, it’s the mix of tactics settings available that can be so beautiful (and time consuming) but yet so rewarding!!
Can make me ignore some of the flaws. Sometimes. ;)

Last edited:
Had beautiful match playing Ajax against Madrid. They pressured hard and I did the same only harder. Like tonight. It was lovely. And when they tried to pressure me a few times, I did some some manual long balls to switch sides and get out or freed myself with some fast one touch passes. I set Ajax to play very tight. Matt’s line height fix and some marking too.
Have to play this again tmw!! :)

Edit: as someone said before me, and I don’t wanna claim that, it’s the mix of tactics settings available that can be so beautiful (and time consuming) but yet so rewarding!!
Can make me ignore some of the flaws. Sometimes. ;)
My games on SS right now...simply great.

hmm.. new patch download.. 1.10. cant find the patch notes, but on the ps4 udate history it says something along the lines as: fixed some issues within game etc.

will give it a go...

What in the name of fuck have they done to this game? I updated it yesterday with the new stadiums and my goodness the game is like its on steroids.

Its way way to fast even on normal speed. The CPU is overly aggressive and seems even worse with its one touch ping pong passing. I just played Rangers vs St Johnston and they were back heeling it around the area for fun, I couldn't keep up.

GARBAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!
giphy.gif

LOL.. I was just about to report the complete opposite. The biggest difference after last week's dlc, was that the game has definitely slowed down. Day matches now feel like playing in rain. And after today's patch, it feels like its even slower.. daytime matches feel awesome. Doubt its just the teams used... because I used a variety.. and its now the slowest the game has ever been. The other thing, after today's patch (and I only played about 5 games on superstar), but it seems like there are a hell of lot more interceptions. I mean.. yeah my PA0 is not great, but I intercepted a heap of the pc.
Here is a game I had moments ago, on PA0, Basic Shoot, Superstar 20mins, 0 default speed (look at stats at end):

Back
Top Bottom