PES 2019 Discussion Thread (PS4, XB1)

Little bit off topic
Check out @PTE_Patch’s Tweet: This is 3rd or 4th announcement from good/known Pes editors/modders in the recent weeks. Its getting a little bit worrying. Even tho I never used any mods (Ps4) its sad to see them going. If I was one of the Konami heads I would start worrying. Pes was always about editing and modding. If these people turn away from the series - Konami might really suffer.
On the other hand - this might be a wake up call that they need to start putting more effort into the series.

Yeah, this is really sad and since I play on the PC and use their patch this will affect me sooner or later.

I read that they decided to stop because every update from Konami messes up their file structure and they have to start practically from scratch again. So it’s kind of Konami’s own fault - or perhaps a strategy?

To be honest, I think Konami is more worried about potential copyright infringements than patch-makers jumping ship, so I could see how they actively discourage patching the game.

Only a theory, of course.

i'm enjoying the game again but last night i conceded a really cheap goal but i knew it was coming because i dragged Van Djyk out of the defence line and the AI spotted the huge gap. I find it really enjoyable spotting an AI run now and tracking it effectively where as last week i would have conceded 3 or 4 goals

i'm enjoying the game again but last night i conceded a really cheap goal but i knew it was coming because i dragged Van Djyk out of the defence line and the AI spotted the huge gap. I find it really enjoyable spotting an AI run now and tracking it effectively where as last week i would have conceded 3 or 4 goals

Yes every once in a while they happen. I had a similar one yesterday where, after a freekick from the AI that was blocked by my wall I pulled a CB out to latch onto the loose ball (using secondary press). Of course, the AI picked it up before and lobbed it into the middle where said CB had left a huge gap. Their CF was wide open and smashed it in.

It was “cheap” in that it was all too masterfully executed for Empoli (who was my adversary) but, as you say, the more you understand the mechanics and tactics, the less you see “scripting” and the more you understand what you did wrong.

Yeah there was another one where hey had the ball out wide I had van djyk as 2nd man and they played a through ball... I left the runner and tried to intercept the pass and missed it leaving striker through to square it and another to tap it in.. Very cheap but again instead looking at scripting I could see the poor decision I made trying to intercept.

Injuries are absolutely brilliant this year. It would be nice to have more details about them or to have medics on the pitch taking players out on a stretcher, but its so refreshing to finally have them in Pes after so many years!
Really? If you asked me for a list of ten things that could be improved in the ML (and it'd take me a while to settle on just ten), injury frequency would be one of them! I've had a couple of players out with training injuries in half a season (in my last ML game)!

Are you playing players on less than 80% fatigue very often?

Yeah there was another one where hey had the ball out wide I had van djyk as 2nd man and they played a through ball... I left the runner and tried to intercept the pass and missed it leaving striker through to square it and another to tap it in.. Very cheap but again instead looking at scripting I could see the poor decision I made trying to intercept.
I sort of agree with you, but the problem is that I see my CBs playing "as they should" one week, and then (against a tougher opponent) making really stupid decisions and abandoning the line - not because the AI striker challenges them to move out of position, but just because (abandoning the tactics).

I try to think of it as you do - especially if I start pushing "secondary press" too much. That's my own fault. But sometimes it feels like you're trying to control kids in a crèche (and one of them keeps getting out), out of nowhere. On Superstar, anyway.

There have been a couple of games where I have set the defensive line to "close enough to shake the keeper's hand", and yet when the AI have had the ball, they've started jogging up to the middle of the half.

Really? If you asked me for a list of ten things that could be improved in the ML (and it'd take me a while to settle on just ten), injury frequency would be one of them! I've had a couple of players out with training injuries in half a season (in my last ML game)!
You know what I meant. Its kinda like not having a car and walking to work for years in the rain and then buying Suzuki Swift. Its not Audi, Merc or BMW, but its brilliant coz you didnt have any for years. ;)
Good thing is that injuries come "naturally". Im not playing with tired players on purpose. Usually I bring my 3 subs, but even with that, I still have some tired ones left. Especially later on in ML, where fatigue is building up.
At the start I had few "one week" injuries and I was getting annoyed that I didnt have any long term. Then it got quiet for a while and all of a sudden 2 went down with 3 months long injuries.
It could be better, but its good enough IMO.

I played FA Cup quarter final last night against Man City. Switched to basic shooting. Its beginning to grow on me. In fact - I was missing more with basic shooting than advanced.
I lost in extra time. But like the guys said above - i knew where I made a mistake, I didnt feel cheated at all.
Man City was playing really well.
I tell you - if they could make me more afraid of star players with proper player ID, if AI star players were doing tricks and surprised us with long shots more often - id say the game is great.
As it stands - its "just" good.

i'm with @fregen when he says he is enjoying the comversation here lately! :TU:
reading here a lot the last couple of days (see my likes)... but couldnt find time to add to the conversation yet.
but i'm always here watching the elite board! :LOL:
you dont leave your home base alone for 5 days... or dont touch PES for 5 days at all... or leave pasta at room temperature! ;)
keep it up guys! :BYE:

What is happening on higher levels than TP? Someone who has tried SS and Legend?

EDIT: Regarding Scripting btw.
I played few games on both. Tbh it didnt feel scripted or over crazy. It was very difficult, exhausting even, there was constant pressure from AI, but they were still missing shots and passes.
I didnt see much Tiki-Taka and back heels from AI, but I do believe that your Pass Support affects AI. If you play with Pass Assistance and if you are able to go through the pitch with backheels and one-twos, COM will do it as well. If you are on manual - AI is more "calm". Same goes to match lenght. On shorter matches its all crazy as they seems to want to achieve same stats. If you play 20mins matches - there is no rush so even AI is playing more build up. Thats my opinion anyway.

I played few games on both. Tbh it didnt feel scripted or over crazy. It was very difficult, exhausting even, there was constant pressure from AI, but they were still missing shots and passes.
I didnt see much Tiki-Taka and back heels from AI, but I do believe that your Pass Support affects AI. If you play with Pass Assistance and if you are able to go through the pitch with backheels and one-twos, COM will do it as well. If you are on manual - AI is more "calm". Same goes to match lenght. On shorter matches its all crazy as they seems to want to achieve same stats. If you play 20mins matches - there is no rush so even AI is playing more build up. Thats my opinion anyway.

Thanks mate. I will try different solutions. I'm playing with pass assistance. I simply find myself playing a short passing game only if I'm on manual. Not realistic with smaller teams.

20 minutes matches a lot. So 40 minutes for one game? That's a long season there!

Thanks mate. I will try different solutions. I'm playing with pass assistance. I simply find myself playing a short passing game only if I'm on manual. Not realistic with smaller teams.

20 minutes matches a lot. So 40 minutes for one game? That's a long season there!
No, no. 20 total. 10mins half.
I thought it will feel long (i was always playing 10/15 mins total) but it doesnt really. Even yesterday i checked am I still playing 20mins as it felt bit short.

Not gonna try to convince you to go pass support 0, as changes like this should really come from yourself (in order to enjoy them and not feeling "forced"). But I have to say Im glad I listened to guys in here and stuck with it (pes19 was first ever I went PA0). At this point I would never go to PA1, as even with PA1, sometimes it was picking different pass receivers than who I was aiming for. It was really annoying, especially at the start of Pes19 life cycle (it was main reason I went to manual). Maybe they fixed it by now, dont know.
Play whichever way makes you comfortable.

No, no. 20 total. 10mins half.
I thought it will feel long (i was always playing 10/15 mins total) but it doesnt really. Even yesterday i checked am I still playing 20mins as it felt bit short.

Not gonna try to convince you to go pass support 0, as changes like this should really come from yourself (in order to enjoy them and not feeling "forced"). But I have to say Im glad I listened to guys in here and stuck with it (pes19 was first ever I went PA0). At this point I would never go to PA1, as even with PA1, sometimes it was picking different pass receivers than who I was aiming for. It was really annoying, especially at the start of Pes19 life cycle (it was main reason I went to manual). Maybe they fixed it by now, dont know.
Play whichever way makes you comfortable.

Aaah.. Good.

Im already playing 10 min. half - I think ive always done that?

Anyway. Will reconsider the PA0 thing with time!

Played a few games on SS/PA0 yesterday,and it's pretty decent.
Vs TP it's less frantic,CPU aren't Uber sharp in and around the box
Plus HUM players feels more "awaken"
It's not a very big step from TP/SS,on the other hand,the gap between professional and TP is huge on PA0

Played a few games on SS/PA0 yesterday,and it's pretty decent.
Vs TP it's less frantic,CPU aren't Uber sharp in and around the box
Plus HUM players feels more "awaken"
It's not a very big step from TP/SS,on the other hand,the gap between professional and TP is huge on PA0
Get your SS wins and try Legend.
I cant really pin on why, but I personally enjoyed Legend much more than SS. It felt more...human? There was a lot of pressure from AI but there seemed to be more mistakes from AI than on SS.
That was on PA1 tho.

Im slowly getting myself ready to try Legend again with PA0.
If it will be uber crazy ill just drop to Top Player and go from there.

Get your SS wins and try Legend.
I cant really pin on why, but I personally enjoyed Legend much more than SS. It felt more...human? There was a lot of pressure from AI but there seemed to be more mistakes from AI than on SS.
That was on PA1 tho.

Im slowly getting myself ready to try Legend again with PA0.
If it will be uber crazy ill just drop to Top Player and go from there.
Yeah I'm gonna give Legend a go,I'm not really feeling TP right now,don't get me wrong,it's a good level,but can't help feeling it's all in CPU favour
Feels like it's very momentum driven ,once they get a grip on you it's like they go in to a "feeding frenzy"
Much calmer on SS,tougher,but calmer

I don´t know...

since the latest update all of my matches were very enjoyable.
No bullshit goals, nice varied attacks by the AI, good defense by AI, hard to get past them, but rewarding when you make it.
I´m not that much of a Barca fan, but since I haven´t managed to get my OF working to continue my ML, I´m playing league mode.
Either it´s the update or the fact that I haven´t touched PES for a while as I was playing more of CS:GO, BFV, Forza Horizon 4...or it´s both^^.

The funny thing is...
as I play on PC there even is no gameplay patch by @incas36 active at the moment, as the dt18 file gets updated either...doesn´t it?

Does the AI Wing Play bugs still an issue in PS4 ?
For me wing play and cross always ends up with the opponent heading the ball away, i ve never scored from a cross,only overlapping inside the box and passing it to an attacker in the middle,
Settings: manual , top player, 15 min match

Last edited:
I don´t know...

since the latest update all of my matches were very enjoyable.
No bullshit goals, nice varied attacks by the AI, good defense by AI, hard to get past them, but rewarding when you make it.
I´m not that much of a Barca fan, but since I haven´t managed to get my OF working to continue my ML, I´m playing league mode.
Either it´s the update or the fact that I haven´t touched PES for a while as I was playing more of CS:GO, BFV, Forza Horizon 4...or it´s both^^.

The funny thing is...
as I play on PC there even is no gameplay patch by @incas36 active at the moment, as the dt18 file gets updated either...doesn´t it?

Nope. You can use the mod anyways.

The game is definitly more calm, more balanced. Funny that I tried Legend a couple days ago, and it also seemed very human like. There was a lot more pressure from the CPU, but also more space to explore, as their defence is not as good positioning. CPU also gets a bit more urgent on attackin, wich leads to more mistakes, like they feel the pressure, unlike on TP where when CPU needs a goal, it feels like you can´t do anything to stop it. I stoped playing though on one match were CPU scored 3 goals in 1 minute, on their first 3 attempts.

Anyway, playing TP today, defending properly and taking it easy on the pressure button, but the schedule was damn hard:
Liverpool vs Huddersfield (0-0)
Chelsea vs Huddersfield (3-1)
Huddersfield vs Manchester Utd (2-2)

All three games with great stats. PA0 does get a special feeling once you notice you can actually try things, you can risk long passes and through balls... they actually work! Liverpool was a bit soft on the first half, but they where all over the place on 2nd half, so the 0-0 was quite satisfying. Chelsea didn´t stand a chance, everything went wrong and I paid for it. Man Utd could have been a great result. I was leading 2-0 on the first half, but that´s were I felt TP is still a bit scripted, as MAN started to push things, and though I was defending properly, my players wouldn´t hold a single ball, first touch was drastically reduced, and I couldn´t counter for sometime, until they make it 2-1. Then, on a long ball, I pressed several times to change players and cover the runner, with no luck. I got stuck with my CM, so I called the keeper, who despite getting to the ball first, was called a penalty... 2-2. I didn´t like it but ok, if this happens just once in a while it won´t be so bad.

Seen a pretty good amount of fouls, sprint actually works when used wisely, and not a single match with 100% shots on target by the CPU. Pretty good indeed!

My biggest gripe is,while messi is 94 rated,his acceleration leave a lot to be desired..., it doesn t feel like.messi, he doesn t have that individuality that was apparent in the old gen....

My biggest gripe is,while messi is 94 rated,his acceleration leave a lot to be desired..., it doesn t feel like.messi, he doesn t have that individuality that was apparent in the old gen....
Player ID comes up again and again when talking about modern PES games - as the player and against the AI. You never feel like world-class dribblers are going to make a fool of you if you give them space - teams opt to pass you to death instead.

I don't like dribbling in PES as a whole, because the lack of responsiveness (which you could call realistic, i.e. "momentum", but I think it's a bit OTT if that's the case) means that you end up entering the input for dribble combinations way in advance of the player actually doing them. It feels a bit "dodgy internet connection"...

Player ID comes up again and again when talking about modern PES games - as the player and against the AI. You never feel like world-class dribblers are going to make a fool of you if you give them space - teams opt to pass you to death instead.

I don't like dribbling in PES as a whole, because the lack of responsiveness (which you could call realistic, i.e. "momentum", but I think it's a bit OTT if that's the case) means that you end up entering the input for dribble combinations way in advance of the player actually doing them. It feels a bit "dodgy internet connection"...

Whenever input was more responsive, it turned out into an arcade garbage completely detached from reality. I think it is fine like it is now.

Whenever input was more responsive, it turned out into an arcade garbage completely detached from reality. I think it is fine like it is now.
I take your point, and the other game proves that hyper-responsiveness removes realism. But there's got to be a middle-ground. Every player "feels" virtually identical to me, and this is something the classic PES games used to nail.

I think player ID can be a bit sketchy
But,after have faced Immobile in Lazio,and earlier today,Insigne in Napoli,I’ve had a horrible scare vs those guys.
Maybe it needs to be better/more?
I’m playing zero game speed which makes my fast/tricky players do stuff very naturally
I used to play -1,even though pace is good there,animation/feints/movement isn’t,from both

Also,the “no dribbling from cpu” must be a myth since the last patch,I’m seeing it a lot,especially from players mentioned above.
How are you guys (ML Elitists) seeing that issue/myth?

Last edited:
I take your point, and the other game proves that hyper-responsiveness removes realism. But there's got to be a middle-ground. Every player "feels" virtually identical to me, and this is something the classic PES games used to nail.

I could imagine slight, instant direction changes by pressing a modiefier button or something to prevent these 90 degree turns which made the classic PES games look cheap. The problem isn´t response, the problem is the outcome in a too accelerated direction change which make you "morph" beyond the defender. But i don´t really have a clue how to translate it to the controller.

Exactly this! I think the dribbling is what I miss the most about the old Pes games. (and the shooting) it was such fun to get past defenders without skill moves and pure speed and direction turns. I really don't like that sluggish feeling Pes has since I think Pes 10 or so.. I want to feel in control and when I control messi I want it to feel like I can do almost everything with the ball (in terms of direction changes etc.)

Yep. I am doing those trick moves way to late. So my mind tells me 1,5 meter away from the opponent is enough to start the move (like in real life). But in PES you have to do them like 3 meter away... I see it the same. Needs polish.
But hey, I don’t do tricks all the time so it’s ok(ish) for now, imo.

To the first point: dribbling and sprinting is 2 different things to me. To me, your comment sounded like a good dribbler needs to be fast. I don’t see it that way.
Oh wait, you never said „sprint“...
Don’t mind, I got lost...

Question to the guys using those RS body and LS foot feints more often: is there a speed difference in the trick animation when comparing, let’s say CR7 and Kimmich (simple double step over for example)?

Ey Chris, what was the requirement again for doing the podcast?!

Dribbling will be the next thing I will tackle. I am actually looking forward to exploring this whole white space (to me at least).

But for now I am dealing with game length. I tried 20 minutes today (on Superstar), as you guys suggested, and, indeed, it feels more realistic, the crazy urgency of the AI is toned down and you have more space on your players and you have more goals.

Sadly, the orchestration (you might call it "scripting" or "storytelling") is still there, though this could be an effect of my relative low TS for Inter (80-81). I won 3-2 against Frosinone, conceding two ridiculously scripted goals, and missing 3-4 ridiculously scripted chances. Of course, even at 3-1 it turned into another white knuckle game when they came up with the 2-3 and 10 minutes to go. I was hoping when you invest more time into the game it would be less petty...

Exactly this! I think the dribbling is what I miss the most about the old Pes games. (and the shooting) it was such fun to get past defenders without skill moves and pure speed and direction turns. I really don't like that sluggish feeling Pes has since I think Pes 10 or so.. I want to feel in control and when I control messi I want it to feel like I can do almost everything with the ball (in terms of direction changes etc.)

Agreed Turdi. It should be possible to take defenders out of the game using pace and direction changes. On the rare occasions that you beat a man like this, he's back on your heels again with a second.

It's also not possible to cut across your man and draw a foul like in real life, due to the defenders ability to win the ball at such impossible angles

Back
Top Bottom