PES 2019 Discussion Thread (PS4, XB1)

Advanced formation is:
Possession
Support range medium
Frontline pressure
Hug the touchline
What pisses me off is the fact that dribbling is non existent, you can t use pace to out mustle a defender like in previous pes, you have to play a passing game or a move to get past,and messi just isn t messi,he s just a player slapped with a 94 rating in the game,i can see nothing significant from messi in this game other than taking good freekicks and long shots, as dribbling takes you no where in this game.
Other thing, wing crosses are bugged, everytime the ball is knocked out of a defender never my attacker touches it...i dont even know what s happening but wing play is only fruitful for low passea inside the box after a right back overlaps and gets inside the box, this is resulting in too many same old goals with no variety, and that s if i score it would be the only way to be done from.wing play

Will you ever get over Messi? Why not try someone else? Try Harit for example he is a fantastic dribbler. Check TTBs videos, he does all kinds of stuff with him. Dribbling does exist, you know.

And it's simply not true, that wing play only works with low passes. I've scored a lot of headers from early crosses with Lukaku, Icardi, Dzeko, Adriano lately two headers in one game (video will go up). Again, you need people with the 'Pinpoint Crossing' trait on the wings and of course someone up front who isn't just tall but also has the proper heading stats and possibly the Heading skill as well.

Edit: my better crossing experience has probably to do with me playing PA1. I think the traits are more pronounced obviously.

What about attack?
Maintain possession or flexible?
Defense - aggressive or conservative?
Compactness, defensive line?
There is a lot of things there are most of them have affect on the matches.

I noticed that keeping your team in shape is crucial as AI will see and expose all the gaps.
So personally I have Maintain Possession when attacking. Flexible messes things up a bit.

I dont like to use too much of a defensive options together.
Frontline pressure makes you vulnerable to AI long passes. Instead I just have defense on Aggressive, with All out defense mindset.

At the start I had frontline pressure, aggressive AND gegenpress together, but that was just nuts.

Im switching to Frontline pressure only if I have nothing to loose, plus I go up a notch with arrow UP for more attacking mindset.
I dont go two arrows up anymore - this was usually resulting in AI getting another few goals instead of me chasing them up.

You could try lowering support range few notches if you are not finding many passing options when on build up.

Adv tactics I have same as you - hug the touchline.
Defensive - deep defense line and wing back.
As much as different attacking tactics seems to suit different people, personally I think Wing Back is huge if it comes to minimising AI low crosses.

As for crossing - it was nerfed big time, comparing to 2018. Especially on manual its not easy to get a proper cross into the box.
Im not scoring many of them myself.
Most of my manual crosses, when holding direction down, were heading too far away from goal, making it almost impossible to score a header.
Recently I started noticing that holding direction bit more towards the goal↘️ seems to improve my crosses.
But I need to test it more.

I've seen few clips from people in here and their crosses were fantastic. They were scoring a lot of goals, all on manual.
So, obviously, we're doing something wrong there and there is a room for improvement. But I wont give you many decent crossing tips as mine are also shite. :LOL:

I do have to say tho - this is a nice change for me, comparing to 2018, where 80% of my goals were from crosses. Crosses and headers were too OP last year.

As for dribbling Im slowly but surely discovering new ways to go past players and I really enjoy dribbling lately.
Body feint with right trigger to one direction and then going another is a fantastic weapon.
Same with L1 close control that @rockstrongo sold me recently.
Also, stopping with R2 and then bursting another way is doing wonders.
Dribbling is not as straight forward as it used to be, but as much as Id agree with you (that its not existent) few months back, I have to say I was wrong. I just didnt know what to use and when.

Dont know what else to say. Cant do much about player ID. I need to try this SS on manual myself. Maybe on higher difficulties better players will be able to surprise me.

Really hope that you will find your sweet spot there, because underneath the surface its a really solid game. Just takes more effort to get it right.
Or even better,put up a video,with settings and let people break that down
I'm sure most "flaws" are related to human game play tendecies

I'm rarely using man marking on strikers anymore,because the CPU is to smart for it,if my Cb covers one striker then a CMF will go in to that space and you're done!
I usually use it on AMF/playmakers

Works well for me anyway
Dribbling is so subtle in this game,wait for the Def to commit and then pass him,I rarely use skill moves though,just small twists and turns then small taps on the sprint button

I can not believe people here are still playing any kind of games vs Com.

At any level it is ridiculously boring. Rinse and repeat..Bland, shallow. Absolutely empty.
There is nothing that can help the "vs Com" game now. Not the jerseys, patches, gameplay patches.

So bloody boring.

The fact is that cpu does not make some of their players shine, change tactics, make fouls..NOTHING.
Even if there is some trace of that, it is not noticeable at all.

On other side myClub got better fortunately.
Otherwise, ML and anything related to cpu games is worthless.

Strange you should mention fouls, im getting the right amount per game for what is a 12 mins football computer game. Ive even had the odd game where the AI has lost it and started hacking me all over the park.
Yeh im struggling to see some individuality from individuals and teams, i think i might try changing to manual passing and going up to top player in a different league for my ML which is feeling a bit stale and repetitive, although im not getting thumped every game anymore . Mid table. Might become more interesting if i push for a Europa League Berth.

I'm rarely using man marking on strikers anymore,because the CPU is to smart for it,if my Cb covers one striker then a CMF will go in to that space and you're done!
I usually use it on AMF/playmakers
Agree. I dont use it myself anymore. Back when AI was spamming low crosses like crazy I was man marking their wingers. But even then I was marking their front wingers with my Side MF's instead of DF's. Marking with your DF's is very risky.

Dribbling is so subtle in this game,wait for the Def to commit [...]

This! Whenever I was watching dribbling tutorials, all the good players were saying - dont watch your player, watch their players. Wait for their move, predict what they'll do.
It was the hardest part for me to learn to stop focusing on my player and focus on them. But it makes huge difference when dribbling.
Its subtle, but very powerful at the same time. Sometimes you can leave them in rear view mirror after executing just one move.

Strange you should mention fouls, im getting the right amount per game for what is a 12 mins football computer game. Ive even had the odd game where the AI has lost it and started hacking me all over the park.
Yeh im struggling to see some individuality from individuals and teams, i think i might try changing to manual passing and going up to top player in a different league for my ML which is feeling a bit stale and repetitive, although im not getting thumped every game anymore . Mid table. Might become more interesting if i push for a Europa League Berth.
You'd be surprised how much different it will play on 20 min,and especially SS.
Stay off TP,SS is much more organic from the cpu,and not that much harder either.

Agree. I dont use it myself anymore. Back when AI was spamming low crosses like crazy I was man marking their wingers. But even then I was marking their front wingers with my Side MF's instead of DF's. Marking with your DF's is very risky.

This! Whenever I was watching dribbling tutorials, all the good players were saying - dont watch your player, watch their players. Wait for their move, predict what they'll do.
It was the hardest part for me to learn to stop focusing on my player and focus on them. But it makes huge difference when dribbling.
Its subtle, but very powerful at the same time. Sometimes you can leave them in rear view mirror after executing just one move.
It's really lovely and subtle,one smart move and your off.

Yeah it's risky man marking with your DMF,and I'm getting rid off that.
Best marking/defense is paying attention,put some pressure on their wingers so they won't cross,but don't over commit,I did it in the 90th minute Vs Inter and they crossed and headed in the winner.

This game grows by the minute on me, especially since I moved up to SS.
Lovely games

No no,i changed my settings to what u recommended, no way, imnplaying vs as monaco and they play like they are real.madrid or juventus,it s unrealistic the body aggression on their players,i doesn t make any sense...on SS,i can t even make a decent attack on their goal

@Emroth - The "Pinpoint Crossing" trait makes a HUGE difference to the crosses you can perform. Players with it put far more pace and whip on the ball that can be a bigger threat with an early ball (L1), first time from a lay off (useful for a fullback) or from way out on the sideline.

Without that trait, I have much more success when getting to the byline and trying to get more central before standing the ball up with a little tap of the cross button, maybe holding R2 for a bit more loft depending on the runs being made.

I like using Willian because he has "Pinpoing Crossing" and "Outside Curler" so you get some great crosses with the outside of the foot as well!

(click for HQ)

Just did this on PA0 Superstar - used R1 double tap 3 times with Willian there; once to change direction at the start, again to sprint away, and then for the touch inside to set up the cross. Held L1 on the cross to make sure it did a cross instead of a normal lobbed pass.
Look closely at his cheering animation after the goal. He’s happy!! :)

Not sure on this one.
But!
Switching between long ball/counter attack when facing tough teams away,and short passing/possession for weaker teams
My TS for long ball 77 ish
My TS for short pass 65 ish

I don't feel/see any difference when on low Vs high TS,I used to do it pre patch,my players were shit on low TS.

Its probably because of difficulty is my guess

20190214_234020.jpg
Look at that. I had Man Utd, Man City and Arsenal to play and I was 5 players down. I honestly dont remember if I ever had such a situation in any Pes.
Add red-bolloxed arrows to the equasion and its a clusterfuck.
...But what fun! I absolutely love the fact that Im struggling to built starting 11. Thats how it should be playing any career mode.

View attachment 11918
Look at that. I had Man Utd, Man City and Arsenal to play and I was 5 players down. I honestly dont remember if I ever had such a situation in any Pes.
...But what fun! I absolutely love the fact that Im struggling to built starting 11. Thats how it should be playing any career mode.
Lazio 3-3
Milan 1-3
Udinese 1-2

Two of Lazio's and two of Milans goal were shots.
I defended pretty well then they start shooting on the edge of the box
And I have no complaints.
If I hadn't simmed a few games Id be relegated.
And liking it...

Lazio 3-3
Milan 1-3
Udinese 1-2

Lazio s and Milans goal were all shots.
I defended pretty then they start shooting on the edge of the box
And I have no complaints.
I had
Man Utd 0-2
Man City 0-1
Arsenal 2-0
All three very tight and very enjoyable.
Since I went basic shooting I've more troubles scoring, haha!
Not sure if im ready for SS... :LOL:

I had
Man Utd 0-2
Man City 0-1
Arsenal 2-0
All three very tight and very enjoyable.
Since I went basic shooting I've more troubles scoring, haha!
Not sure if im ready for SS... :LOL:
Basic shooting is tough to score on,even tougher on SS.
But I won't go back :)

Who knew I'd love this game so much pre patch when I whined about it to you pal

I'd honestly haven't had this much joy since PES 13,I loved Pes 17 a lot to ( 15+ seasons) not like this though

View attachment 11918
So...maybe the first year of a 3 year cycle wasn't so bullshit afterall..:BOP:
I'm still waiting for the Icritmypants OF for the pc to get updated so i can start my long awaited ML with Palace.
I was thinking of a Serie A also but it's a shame that they removed the second division.
They better bring them back for 20 and enhance the offline experience even more with all the money they're making this year from online.It is a good sign that they were hiring new staff some months ago to work on the next game so hopefully we'll have new designs and ideas implemented.

Basic shooting is tough to score on,even tougher on SS.
But I won't go back :)

Who knew I'd love this game so much pre patch when I whined about it to you pal

I'd honestly haven't had this much joy since PES 13,I loved Pes 17 a lot to ( 15+ seasons) not like this though

Such a turnaround! ;) Yeah, basic shooting is really a pleasant surprise for me. I don't know if it is placebo or what but I feel the defenders react different as well, sticking out a leg, getting in front of the shot etc when on basic. On manual I know which rocket shot will go through almost every time.

Ps: finally the swedish football start up again this weekend!

Sorry guys but this game is unplayable on manual on superstar difficulty,, every team turns into barcelona and score the same old tiki taka until the pass from the wing and the attacker always i mean always will strike it in the same area every friggin time,this is boring and unrealistic..

So while I enjoy it immensely, there are a few things that still piss me off majorly. Maybe there is a solution to them?

1) when the computer has a corner and you clear it, the ball often goes down the middle where another COM player is ready to smash a volley. Do you manual players also have that?

2) during red COM phased the ref whistles literally every collision, 9 of 10 in favor of the COM. I‘ve got called a number of laughable penalties on that. To add insult to injury you get a boring cut scene on any of these

3) the offsides

4) your players run most of the time to the far side of where the ball is going to (yes, super cancel, but it‘s time this concept goes imo)

5) connected to 4: when you play a long ground pass, your receiving player often reacts a split second later than the COM

6) the super precise slide tackling of the COM and that it‘s never called while when you do the same, you are carded

7) that it takes your players ages to recover from a slide tackle

8) that they lack urgency when a bit of extra effort would keep the ball from crossing the side/touchline

9) when you chase the AI with R1 and you switch to another player he‘ll sometimes interrrupt his run for a split second.

10) that wind-up animations to shots are often tangibly slowed down so a COM player has time to block the shot. There is generally too much shot-blocking going on in and around the COMs box. Perhaps different on manual?

There is more, of course, but these are the ones that I think of now. What are your ‚hate‘ moments?

Edit: sorry for another long post. I should really limit myself.

I'll answer the top ones, on top player I've never seen the AI score a volley from a corner clearance, could be your tactics. I rarely get caught offside and I don't see loads of AI penalties. I do agree with user being penalised more for fouls in general

What I don´t like so much on SS is the perfect CPU tackling and the overpowered reactions. Overall, the matches have some nice balance, but there are moments were everything seems to flavour CPU, and when I concede a goal after those moments, it feels really frustrating. Other than that, I´m ok with it.

View attachment 11918
What the frig. I've never ever seen something like this. I used to get injuries in the first few seasons but I haven't seen one in ages... That is just mental.

So while I enjoy it immensely, there are a few things that still piss me off majorly. Maybe there is a solution to them?

1) when the computer has a corner and you clear it, the ball often goes down the middle where another COM player is ready to smash a volley. Do you manual players also have that?

2) during red COM phased the ref whistles literally every collision, 9 of 10 in favor of the COM. I‘ve got called a number of laughable penalties on that. To add insult to injury you get a boring cut scene on any of these

3) the offsides

4) your players run most of the time to the far side of where the ball is going to (yes, super cancel, but it‘s time this concept goes imo)

5) connected to 4: when you play a long ground pass, your receiving player often reacts a split second later than the COM

6) the super precise slide tackling of the COM and that it‘s never called while when you do the same, you are carded

8) that they lack urgency when a bit of extra effort would keep the ball from crossing the side/touchline

9) when you chase the AI with R1 and you switch to another player he‘ll sometimes interrrupt his run for a split second.

10) that wind-up animations to shots are often tangibly slowed down so a COM player has time to block the shot. There is generally too much shot-blocking going on in and around the COMs box. Perhaps different on manual?

There is more, of course, but these are the ones that I think of now. What are your ‚hate‘ moments?

no even on manual those things are present, it is so annoying and im not enjoying the game because of these issues. i have tried to change the formation settings and advanced stuff, but still, on SS, it s unplayable.. the unresponsiveness of your player movement is a major issue to me, it takes ages to make a pass or turn to give a pass to another player, animations take way too long, and CPU is just too responsive when they make an attack.. and they slide tackle all the time without any mistake or misplace tackle..

3) the offsides

All very recognizable. As for what I hate, currently it's everything about the game. Can't stand another second of it. It's just scripting and nothing else. All the good things that were in the game ; fouls, stamina having an effect, stats mattering, you name it have all been gradually removed. Its just pes 18 basically now and that for me is bad news. And this is on pc, fully modded. So I've Uninstalled after 215 hours of play. Such a shame as there was potential. More power to those that enjoy it but I have hard time understanding what's enjoyable about it at the moment.

no even on manual those things are present, it is so annoying and im not enjoying the game because of these issues. i have tried to change the formation settings and advanced stuff, but still, on SS, it s unplayable.. the unresponsiveness of your player movement is a major issue to me, it takes ages to make a pass or turn to give a pass to another player, animations take way too long, and CPU is just too responsive when they make an attack.. and they slide tackle all the time without any mistake or misplace tackle..

Personally i love the animations and (decreased) response, they deliver a lifelike impression of weight and are exactly the reason why i am playing PES this year.

I strongly recommend to go down in game speed against the COM (especially on higher difficulty levels), to remain a simulation-like pressing without making the game a reaction test.

Such a turnaround! ;) Yeah, basic shooting is really a pleasant surprise for me. I don't know if it is placebo or what but I feel the defenders react different as well, sticking out a leg, getting in front of the shot etc when on basic. On manual I know which rocket shot will go through almost every time.

Ps: finally the swedish football start up again this weekend!
It's tricky as hell scoring anything from outside the box.
I use to be able to do that before

Yeah,finally it's on again!
But disappointed that iff-iff didn't get their ass kicked properly yesterday

Sorry guys but this game is unplayable on manual on superstar difficulty
Does it have to be SS, tho? Im on Profesional and still finding it challenging. I know Prof is too easy for some people here but so far Im finding it nicely ballanced and enjoyable with manual passing.
@Rodchenko
1) could be your Swarm The Box tactics. That will leave edge of penalty are exposed and most of the balls will go to AI. Id leave deep defensive line and got rid of swarm the box to test it.
2) not sure to be honest. I never noticed every collision being called if favour to AI.
Altho... check my hate list... could be that. ;)
4/5) on manual, my passes are so... unpredictable, that most of the time when my player doesnt go to the ball, Im blaming my passing. With PA1 ball has a specific path and player has a specific path. If you want to adjust it, super cancel is your only option, whether you like it or not unfortunately. On the bright side, its not as uncomfortable and awkward as it seems. I hated this whole concept at the start, but game forced me to practice and now its jist another control.
6) com has precise tackles, that is true. Not as precise as in Fifa but still. Try to turn away from them when you see them charging at you. Even if you are receiving the pass, your first move should be turning around from AI to shield the ball. This will either get you a foul or this necessary split second to decide what you want to do next
7) i love this bit personally. Adds a lot of realism. I dont want them to get up straight away. I want them all to Neymar on the ground! I want them all to suffer! :LOL:
8) agree
9) agree. Player switching is not as smooth as it should be.
10) i dont think AI is more overpowered than us to block the shots. Im blocking a lot myself. Im playing on -1 speed tho, so all my animations are a tad bit slower.

As for my hate moment, hmm..
There was a lot of them, but recently I dont get much of hate. Dont know if I learned how to counter them or they are polishing it.

What pisses me off, currently is
1) player switching/awarness on manual. There are times that none of my players is interested to go towards the ball and I have to switch manually and chase it myself. But like I said before - manual gives much more than it takes, so I can live with that.
2) still too perfect passing from AI. I can deal with a lot of them and AI does have missplaced passes, but lower teams should have more of them.
3) no penalties. Havent had one since ever on Pes19
4) crossing, like I said, feels dodgy on manual. But Im getting there thanks to all the tips here. Bit of R2 for higher cross was helping a lot yesterday
5) sometimes referee whistles opposite to what he should be. Just because AI was receiving the pass its a foul for AI, even tho on a replay you can see that they charged and battered me like some fucking SWAT team and I was just standing there.
It works both ways tho. Sometimes I kill them and its a foul for me.

Back
Top Bottom