PES 2019 Discussion Thread (PS4, XB1)

they (Konami) did a good job on fixing 18 in the end.
They did, didnt they?? A month before Pes19. Fuckers. :LOL:
I got fouls, penalties and whatnot. Unbelievable.

But thats what gives me hope. Pes19 has great potential. If they polish it at the end I wont bother with 20 unless its a breakthrough or unless its polished (and most likely quarter of a price)

Couldn't resist screwing with spurs,must have been the collapse of the century

That gave me so much joy, especially that Wolves are one of my favourite teams this year. Really young and promising players.

They did, didnt they?? A month before Pes19. Fuckers. :LOL:
I got fouls, penalties and whatnot. Unbelievable.

But thats what gives me hope. Pes19 has great potential. If they polish it at the end I wont bother with 20 unless its a breakthrough or unless its polished (and most likely quarter of a price)

That gave me so much joy, especially that Wolves are one of my favourite teams this year. Really young and promising players.
Wolves are really impressive mate.
I played a few Pes 18 ML today (old save first season) and I'm over the moon how good it plays,been on FIFA for a few months now,even if I really lke playing it,Pes 18 with its pace and player skills, especially on manual is truly great.
Playing as Milan and having Suso destroying defenders on the wing is so much fun.

I approached Pes 18 a bit differently than I do on FIFA (more patience less sprinting,tracking instead of rushing in to tackles etc) and defending/keeping possession is so rewarding and really the key.
Sounds like I haven't played Pes before,but the approach Vs a hectic (but enjoyable) other game is very different.
Really love playing it right now,might sound different after playing my next game Vs Roma:)

Is their anymore recommendations people can give to liven up the bland AI? The attacking patterns are still a bit meh. I dunno whether its because all the shooting seems same that I'm having difficulties. You never see deft chips, outside of the boot shots, Long range shots, little side foot finishes etc. Its all centre of goal and blasting it hard as possible.

Well, honestly, its 2018 and with all the technical advancements in football games and the power at their fingertips, no one can bring us the football title you would expect to see in this day and age.

First off, Pes, which has a lovely flow to it in the middle of the park but that is let down with shoddy attacking in the final third, keepers with restricted animations (earlier today i played three matches and scored two identikit goals, same shot, same keeper animations) limited licenses, but most of all, the most bland ai in a football game to date.

I mean c'mon, i've never seen such one dimensional a.i. We were told it was fixed but to me it plays exactly the same. How can you have a football game but no long shot efforts? Where is an a.i that will keep you challenged and on your toes without cheating? There was better a.i ten years ago!

Pes has lovely graphics, great player models and some nice lighting but its all let down by the above issues. I mean they've still got only 10 save slots ffs and a replay camera system that belongs in the dark ages.

A terrible disappointment.

Which brings me onto Fifa, which has the licences and the I have to say has the variety of play you expect from a football game, you really do get lots of spontaneous play that you would associate in football and that Pes lacks.

However...whoever designed the player models needs firing. They just don't look like athletes. They don't look like modern footballers. They have a hunched run, they have no real close control, they run with an awkward gait and their animations look out of sync.

Then you get the ball physics...ground passes act like bowling balls, theres no random bounces. Sometime i head the ball as a pass, and this is all on manual by the way, and the ball moves at 100mph! I mean ffs they had this in the previous versions so where has it gone?

And fouls? Where are they on BOTH games, Penalties are a fucking event.

Then they release about a million fucking patches, which has you constantly tweaking sliders, sliders by the way that they don't fucking describe to you and let you know what they do.

A terrible disappointment.

2019 has to be the year they ditch these games for multiplayer and start thinking about the single player crowd. Its dumbed down money making shite and it gets on my tits. Trying to turn these games into sports - well fuck me, I saw a fifa final the other week on youtube and both lads are playing on assisted controls - fucking assisted controls and they are supposed to be so called professionals at this sport game? I'd whoop them both on manual. Its a fucking joke.

Multiplayer is the worst fucking thing to hit consoles in the last few years. Theres this accepted stance that everyone naturally gravitates towards it and needs it, but i wouldn't waste my time with a bunch of people who just want to win at any cost. keep multiplayer for when you are round at your mates not for strangers giving you grief over the internet.

Both of these games have really let me down this year and I for one will definitely, DEFINITELY hold back on purchases of both titles next year.

Great rant Antoine. Could not agree more.
This My Club thing really is bollocks isnt it. I mean buying scouts and having to get a manager and you can only play his formation, and as for Team Spirit man thats an utter joke.
Well at the end of my Seria A ML season i have came bottom, so many games where the AI just bangs in a few rocket shots into top corner that you have no chance with defending. Can they not include some shooting variety from the Ai,everythings high rocket shots. Occasionaly you see that in football but real players try to keep shots down . If they shoot high theyy start going over or wide much more.
Too many games still where you see 4 shots 3 goals 1 save or 0 saves.

I just realised that they removed the "annoying" time wasting habbit of the AI,the one that they used to go near your corner and shield the ball if they were ahead at last minutes.
Now they are mindlessly keep attacking and attacking again and again even if they are 4-0 in 90'.
Even if it was badly implemented, it shows that this years cPU AI-IQ had a big step back.

Last edited:
I just realised that they removed the "annoying" time wasting habbit of the AI,the one that they used to go near your corner and shield the ball if they were ahead at last minutes.
Now they are mindlessly keep attacking and attacking again and again even if they are 4-0 in 90'.
Even if it was badly implemented, it shows that this years cPU AI-IQ had a big step back.

Yeah, it reminds me PES 2012. The AI keeps attacking even if it was 7 goals ahead. But I see the AI parking the bus sometimes wich I find very cool.

To be honest I dont see the CPU wasting time like that since PES 6.

MY new years resolution is to stop playing PES 19 and finally make the move to FIFA19. I have tried, with gameplay mods to really like this game and in the beginning (as is so often the case) it was great with player individuality and a bit of randomness inserted back into the game. The thing is the main mode (ML) is useless to play after a certain point. You all recognize it; after a few season you get a good squad and TS and the CPU turns up the scripting / cheating to give themselves the edge. By then Professional is way too easy and feels hollow and you're left with Superstar which provides you with mind-numbing, uber-frustrating straight cheating.

Its from there in modern PES that all goes downhill for me (exception being PES17). THis year more than ever the CPU has more tools to its disposal than ever. Even using gameplay mods and whatnot. The latest cheat I noticed is that the CPU will just move MY OWN players in my way, even dispossessing me at times! Or at least getting in front of my own shots. Just mindless chickens running around. The laziest Konami programming ever and I wish I could just walk away from it but ML and my attachment to my squad in particular still has me hooked too much. Not for long though: seeing Patrick Kluivert on an upward arrow being dispossessed and muscled off the ball by a 60 rated defender just defeats the entire purpose of ML in one single moment.

Im currently spending a few days testing tactics, I thought I may have a break through regarding CPU variety in attack on PS4...I'll keep you all posted, need to do more.

Great rant Antoine. Could not agree more.
This My Club thing really is bollocks isnt it. I mean buying scouts and having to get a manager and you can only play his formation, and as for Team Spirit man thats an utter joke.
Well at the end of my Seria A ML season i have came bottom, so many games where the AI just bangs in a few rocket shots into top corner that you have no chance with defending. Can they not include some shooting variety from the Ai,everythings high rocket shots. Occasionaly you see that in football but real players try to keep shots down . If they shoot high theyy start going over or wide much more.
Too many games still where you see 4 shots 3 goals 1 save or 0 saves.

Top Player or Superstar?

The single most irritating thing about this game is the AI's lack of positional sense. Sometimes I stop, in BAL, and observe my team's positioning and the opposition's positioning and it's a mess.

Every poor decision is exacerbated by this fact.

It's why the AI plays so fast because they cut can through the midfield so easily because midfielders are constantly out of position.

It's why it's so easy to score against a deep backline because the midfield doesn't position itself in relation to the defensive line.

It's why counter attacks are so devastating because poorly positioned midfield + throwing numbers forward = quality chance on the break every time.

2018 had the same problem except with laser guided one touch passes and shots.

2017 was the last game I enjoyed, but I edited team tactics heavily in that game. So I wonder, if I were to do the same with 2019, would I be able to have a worthwhile experience.

But that leaves me with a different question; is it really worth my time to edit things heavily every time I buy a new PES?

I've already decided to skip PES this year when my wife bouth it for me for my birthday. She paid full price. Well, I had to thank her, dont wanted to be rude. But inside I was thinking "why in the name of Jesus dont you bought RDR2 woman!!!!"

I remember when my sister bought me black ops 2 I was much less kind to her lol

The single most irritating thing about this game is the AI's lack of positional sense. Sometimes I stop, in BAL, and observe my team's positioning and the opposition's positioning and it's a mess.

Every poor decision is exacerbated by this fact.

It's why the AI plays so fast because they cut can through the midfield so easily because midfielders are constantly out of position.

It's why it's so easy to score against a deep backline because the midfield doesn't position itself in relation to the defensive line.

It's why counter attacks are so devastating because poorly positioned midfield + throwing numbers forward = quality chance on the break every time.

2018 had the same problem except with laser guided one touch passes and shots.

2017 was the last game I enjoyed, but I edited team tactics heavily in that game. So I wonder, if I were to do the same with 2019, would I be able to have a worthwhile experience.

But that leaves me with a different question; is it really worth my time to edit things heavily every time I buy a new PES?

I concede a lot againt the CPU (Legend difficulty), but not by counter attacks. Most of the time i manage to block the way on goal with some player switching (especially because the don´t like to go one-on-one that much), forcing the CPU to wait for other passing opportunities. It works best if you avoid to use the secondary pressure buttons.

I concede a lot againt the CPU (Legend difficulty), but not by counter attacks. Most of the time i manage to block the way on goal with some player switching (especially because the don´t like to go one-on-one that much), forcing the CPU to wait for other passing opportunities. It works best if you avoid to use the secondary pressure buttons.
With much respect to you and everyone that likes the most challenging difficulty,I tried the Legend challenge difficulty and I cleared after 5 attempts,failing hard with my 5*, 99TS,Allstar teams and winning at last 2-1 with my average 3* team,including players that i have a personal “emotional” connection with.This note is only for anyone that will say that I lost to Legend and I only flame.
I won it finally,but I have to say that this level just proves how the CPU works,in max difficulty and in a lesser but similar degree in other levels like SS and TP.It simply just denies the sports simulation and it is an 100% arcade situation.Even if it is like a “nightmare” mode it is unforgivable chesty.Just magnetic passes and controls,clipping and eliminating any better stats you have.If it was a coin-op arcade game it would be acceptable.
The biggest proof is what most players suggested to do to win this.Exploiting with passing between GK and defense,time wasting,turning around yourself keeping the ball until Penalty kicks.
Reading all this about their AI,the development team should feel very ashamed cause the final result is the exact opposite of Football Simulation.

Haven't really given up on Pes 19 (patch please) but I'm playing 18 a lot,and a few things that bothered me I've tried to correct.

1.players being out of position, especially when the Cpu counter attacks.
I've switched off fluid formation,even though all CPU teams still has it,my own team doesn't,and my team plays much tighter,pretty much erased that problem.

2. player responsiveness
How many times have you felt like your waking up your players when switching to them?
Or the ball slowly rolling out and you can't reach it?

I've moved from -1 game speed to zero.
And my players are much more alive,plus that being on zero game speed makes your player movement match ball movement.
Havent tried it on 19,but it works very well on Pes 18,and I'm having a great time playing it.
20 Min PA0

With much respect to you and everyone that likes the most challenging difficulty,I tried the Legend challenge difficulty and I cleared after 5 attempts,failing hard with my 5*, 99TS,Allstar teams and winning at last 2-1 with my average 3* team,including players that i have a personal “emotional” connection with.This note is only for anyone that will say that I lost to Legend and I only flame.
I won it finally,but I have to say that this level just proves how the CPU works,in max difficulty and in a lesser but similar degree in other levels like SS and TP.It simply just denies the sports simulation and it is an 100% arcade situation.Even if it is like a “nightmare” mode it is unforgivable chesty.Just magnetic passes and controls,clipping and eliminating any better stats you have.If it was a coin-op arcade game it would be acceptable.
The biggest proof is what most players suggested to do to win this.Exploiting with passing between GK and defense,time wasting,turning around yourself keeping the ball until Penalty kicks.
Reading all this about their AI,the development team should feel very ashamed cause the final result is the exact opposite of Football Simulation.

To the present day it seems like it is necessary to create a challenge by overdosing CPU abilities instead of solving it by scaling the AI. As i never saw a football game which does this in a comprehensible way, it doesn´t seem right to blame PES (2019 in particular) of that.

Much more legendary level seems to be a lot more balanced than 2018 to me, featuring more pass error and inaccuracies. It suffers most of the immense stats and aggressive boost at the start of the match. Nowhere near you hope football games to be in 2019, but better than anything before after all.

Last edited:
To the present day it seems like it is necessary to create a challenge by overdosing CPU abilities instead of solving it by scaling the AI. As i never saw a football game which does this in a comprehensible way, it doesn´t seem right to blame PES (2019 in particular) of that.

Much more legendary level seems to be a lot more balanced than 2018 to me, featuring more pass error and inaccuracies. It suffers most of the immense stats and aggressive boost at the start of the match. Nowhere near you hope football games to be in 2019, but better than anything before after all.
I agree I don’t blame only 2019.In 2018 I criticized too the AI cheating.I know how reality is at now and that they possibly can’t create something revolutionary enough for a COM controlled player.
I just pointed out that with these tactics we go further from the simulation than coming closer.
I have reposted again that the 2015-16-17 AI despite their flaws,was more believeable and bearable than the one we have two years now.
The only jailbreak card for KONAMI , is that Legend is a locked mode so it is something “bonus” by itself and this MC event was a special match.
But it remains the same case.In Legend you can see how AI cheats to its 100% potential when in superstar you can see yourself be cheated in 75%.This annoys me only,that the difficulty level is just a scale of cheating.At least it could be mixed with a little creativity.
Even if I am one of the most PESimists I used to expect something better.

I agree I don’t blame only 2019.In 2018 I criticized too the AI cheating.I know how reality is at now and that they possibly can’t create something revolutionary enough for a COM controlled player.
I just pointed out that with these tactics we go further from the simulation than coming closer.
I have reposted again that the 2015-16-17 AI despite their flaws,was more believeable and bearable than the one we have two years now.
The only jailbreak card for KONAMI , is that Legend is a locked mode so it is something “bonus” by itself and this MC event was a special match.
But it remains the same case.In Legend you can see how AI cheats to its 100% potential when in superstar you can see yourself be cheated in 75%.This annoys me only,that the difficulty level is just a scale of cheating.At least it could be mixed with a little creativity.
Even if I am one of the most PESimists I used to expect something better.

I wouldn´t call PES2017 as a good example, as this game was so ridiculously bad in CPU attacking that it is beyond comparison. I noticed myself giving the CPU some assistance and free rooms before i went to FIFA in the end.

I don´t remember 2015 for being a natural and demanding game as well.

Seeing both football games suffering in the exactly the same department leaves the feeling that there is still a technical limit or a lack of priority in both companies.

I wouldn´t call PES2017 as a good example, as this game was so ridiculously bad in CPU attacking that it is beyond comparison. I noticed myself giving the CPU some assistance and free rooms before i went to FIFA in the end.

I don´t remember 2015 for being a natural and demanding game as well.

Seeing both football games suffering in the exactly the same department leaves the feeling that there is still a technical limit or a lack of priority in both companies.
Some aspects are subjective.
I said they all had flaws,didn’t tell they were perfect but they did some other parts like team ID very obvious.instead of every team playing exact the same pattern now in 2019. I remember a nice team play from At. Madrid in 2017 really similar to real life At.Mad or a 4-2-3-1 Chelsea in pes 2015 playing like Chelsea of that year and being very challenging at the same time,took me 3 seasons to start achieving draws against them,without being blatantly cheaty and identical like most COM teams playstyles this year.

A few things Ive found.

Playing with advanced tactics set for each team the attacking plays are staid and insipid with the CPU constantly repeating the same plays over and over.

So I thought it made sense that if these were the settings, surely they were just being followed by the letter by the CPU? And yeah I know you can have two settings but its still doesn't produce much variety.

So i switched all advanced tactics and fluid formations off for about four teams and did a few game tests using the same four teams. I found the attacking AI is much, MUCH more varied without advanced tactics turned on for attacking. I started seeing shots, not just centrally but from the corners of the box, plus some diving headers and more importantly some new keeper animations! I honestly saw Ederson deflect a close range deflection away from goal. Thats another thing, deflections and randomness have increased too.

What I didn't like though was because defensive advanced tactics were off the game was far to open and end to end.

So for the next tests i tried the same teams with advanced tactics on for defence, off for attack and fluid formations off. This gave the game a little more structure and didn't seem to stop the AI from varied attacks. Again I was seeing more realistic games, some nice chances and some nice keeper saves.

It didn't always remove low crossing, but the low crossing seemed to come from opportunity rather than just the CPU knocking low balls in.

On the third day of testing, i stuck both teams on high condition.

I had a really good few games like this - because both teams players where set to high, no one had an advantage and it seemed that the more skilled team would usually take control, but playing say Everton v Leicester it was much more balanced.

I plan to try with adding in fluid formations to se what happens next but I'm almost fairly certain that on xbox and ps4 turning off advanced attacking tactics is a way to much more variety from the CPU.

Yeah Konami is just really bad at this. But hey at least they make great players accessible for everyone.. not like in Fifa where you have to spend (and this is no exaggeration) about 600 Euros just to get Ronaldo. :LMAO:
Konami already ruined it in the first week where they put out the featured players and there was this dude Ziyech (you also mentioned) who had a 97 rating and is therefore the best player in the whole game now.
They seemed to learn from that mistake as the ratings went a bit down for the featured players the following weeks but they are still way too high and like you said they are way too easy to get.
Konami should try to get a balance between a good challenge and not being unfair and money grubbing like EA.
Master League Online 2011 was perfect in that regard but that was before all of the real money shit.

By the way.. is this dude Asim not working for Pes anymore? :CONF: He doesn't post anything about it on twitter and seems to be really depressed the last weeks. Feel sad for him but always thought that this the completely wrong job for him. He seems to be way too sensitive and coulnd't handle criticism about the game well at all. But isn't that a huge part of the job?! He took it way too personal and although there are some pretty messed up guys out there on twitter I always thought he should just take it way easier.
Regarding the first few sentences: this might be the case. Never thought of it. In fifa it’s hard (aka expensive) to get star players. In PES they overdid it with getting out awesome players early.
I could sense some meaningful thought behind it... but as Konami is doing it Konami-Style, we got what we have now. Just a thought! :)
Cheers guys!

A few things Ive found.

Playing with advanced tactics set for each team the attacking plays are staid and insipid with the CPU constantly repeating the same plays over and over.

So I thought it made sense that if these were the settings, surely they were just being followed by the letter by the CPU? And yeah I know you can have two settings but its still doesn't produce much variety.

So i switched all advanced tactics and fluid formations off for about four teams and did a few game tests using the same four teams. I found the attacking AI is much, MUCH more varied without advanced tactics turned on for attacking. I started seeing shots, not just centrally but from the corners of the box, plus some diving headers and more importantly some new keeper animations! I honestly saw Ederson deflect a close range deflection away from goal. Thats another thing, deflections and randomness have increased too.

What I didn't like though was because defensive advanced tactics were off the game was far to open and end to end.

So for the next tests i tried the same teams with advanced tactics on for defence, off for attack and fluid formations off. This gave the game a little more structure and didn't seem to stop the AI from varied attacks. Again I was seeing more realistic games, some nice chances and some nice keeper saves.

It didn't always remove low crossing, but the low crossing seemed to come from opportunity rather than just the CPU knocking low balls in.

On the third day of testing, i stuck both teams on high condition.

I had a really good few games like this - because both teams players where set to high, no one had an advantage and it seemed that the more skilled team would usually take control, but playing say Everton v Leicester it was much more balanced.

I plan to try with adding in fluid formations to se what happens next but I'm almost fairly certain that on xbox and ps4 turning off advanced attacking tactics is a way to much more variety from the CPU.
Good find mate.
I've gone for no advanced tactics for my team for the same reason.
Might restart (Pes 18) my ML and go custom tactics all around

if anyone has any tips how to enjoy this game in ML , let me know. It seems I've reach the end it looks like. It's just me fighting against the cheat engine now. First few seasons were good, great even at times but I can't stand this anymore. I've got a very solid team and good TS but every. single. fucking. goal I concede comes from straight cheating. NEVER ever from a carefuly crafted chance or long range effort, everything is a cheaty mess. Also when I'm on the offense. In the final third my players just go to shit. Suddenly they need two or three extra touches, stumble over each other and so on. Each and every single time. If by some fuckng miracle this does not happen and I can actually get past a 60 to 70 rated bum defender then the goalkeeper will save my shot through some superhuman intervention or my player will just aim for the goddamn corner flag. All the while my midfield is grossly out of position which means I'm in danger of being hit on the break each and every time.

Sigh...goddamn it

@Antoine

Good job mate

But even if you turn off advanced tactics at one point the Cpu switch to "on" to activate tactics even if you had set on "off"

Back
Top Bottom