PES 2019 Discussion Thread (PS4, XB1)

i tried manual 20 min professional -1 speed, and i won an exhibition match 2-1, coming from behind, i have to say, manual is not very hard to get used to, u just need to always use the left stick for direction, once u get used to using that the game flows actually, but , and there is a big but here:
1- ai awareness near the touchlines and in general and at the goal line leave a lot to be desired, many times i find my winger losing the ball into touch because he doesn t wanna hold the ball down but he nods it with his chest and the ball goes to touch and i lose the chance because of something i don t want to do.... or for example passing the ball to a nearby player at the touchline, the receiving player seems like he s dreaming and he doesn t react fast enough to prevent the ball from going into touch. this has been an issue with PES,
2-goalkeepers on -1 speed seem like in slowmotion saves, breaks the immersion a lot

Looks like im just a casual gamer looking at all your times, guys. :LOL:

Ok - serious question now.
Was anybody able to fully understand tactics/mentality/advanced instructions?
I mean - what takes priority? what overwrites what? And what should we focus on?

Let me give you few examples.

- My defensive style is All out Defense + Conservative defending, but my Advanced Instructions are Gegenpress.
That goes against each other.. will my players still push and press or would they be passive?

- My formation is compacted to max, but my instructions are Hug the Touch Line.
Will they stay compacted or will they hug the touchline?

- My instructions are Deep Defensive Line, but im moving Defensive line fully forward...

I know it doesnt make sense to have those instructions together, but I wonder what would be the effects of that. What takes priority?
It a valid question, when you have to react to whats happening on the pitch.
Are there any side effects if you put too many instructions?

Id test it if I didnt have just 5 matches to go in my ML. Im still fighting for survival..:LOL:
Besides - there is a lot of experts here so it might save me some time.
I don’t know for sure and here is a big complain from me,the explanations are usually poor in game tips.The old traditional manual books used to give more details.For example using R2 to make a smoother control/receive of a pass was a fact since pes5 but it was never explained in game tips/command list/help menu until pes2013.
For your question specifically I have a personal POV,I assume that turning on an advanced command is like the coach standing up from the bench and shouting a temporary order.I have “conservative marking” and «all out defense» but when I am behind at score I turn on “gegenpress”.But I am not sure if the one order negates the other.
I just think it defeats the common sense and the purpose of quick use with L2+dpad if you have to go in formation menu and change all you settings.
But it is KONAMI and you never know.Maybe they must fit each other advanced+instruction and the advanced work as an extra mile to you default settings.

Last edited:
i tried manual 20 min professional -1 speed, and i won an exhibition match 2-1, coming from behind, i have to say, manual is not very hard to get used to, u just need to always use the left stick for direction, once u get used to using that the game flows actually, but , and there is a big but here:
1- ai awareness near the touchlines and in general and at the goal line leave a lot to be desired, many times i find my winger losing the ball into touch because he doesn t wanna hold the ball down but he nods it with his chest and the ball goes to touch and i lose the chance because of something i don t want to do.... or for example passing the ball to a nearby player at the touchline, the receiving player seems like he s dreaming and he doesn t react fast enough to prevent the ball from going into touch. this has been an issue with PES,
2-goalkeepers on -1 speed seem like in slowmotion saves, breaks the immersion a lot
First of all - fair play to you for trying it out. Its easy to just stand behind the unhappy crowd. Whats not easy tho, is to try out suggestions, especially if they are not ones that you particularly like.

I wasnt a big fan of manual myself, but i have to say that its very intuitive on Pes. Especially the passing. The more you play the more you understand what can or cant be done. And as much as I was undecided for a good while and switching between the two, I dont have this frustration anymore and im sticking with it.

As for your complaints - I agree.
Responsiveness and ball control should be better. Im trying to avoid these situations and use a lot of supercancel when ball is near the touchline, so they dont even attempt to try to trap it. But it doesnt eliminate all the issues. Sometimes Im passing into the space between my players and none of them seems to have any desire to get the ball. What makes it worse is that sometimes i cant switch to any of them.
It takes a while to have a proper feel in order to minimize all those situations but you can get to a point where they will be rare and managable.

As for GK's - im not really sure as I played -1 from the start (and for the last few editions)
So i dont have much to compare (or be put off by)
But even with that I agree that some saves (especially high balls, where GK catches the ball) dont look and feel natural.
I suppose its one of the things you either get used to after while or not (like nets and post hit sound in the other game)

Im yet to try 20mins myself. Started another ML with Parma so might switch there to see.
But Im really finding manual passing + advanced shooting ballanced and fun. It didnt take that long to get used to and its very rewarding.
Last night I had decisive match to stay in first division or be relegated. It was an absolute horror of the game and I scored a winning goal in 92nd min. I screamed and woke the wife up. She didnt appreciate my result for some reason..

My most played:

188 Witcher - Wild Hunt....no surprise there. Best game of this console generation (slightly ahead of God of War)
152 PES 2017 - Most of it spent in ML
142 FIFA 14 - First game I played on PS4

First of all - fair play to you for trying it out. Its easy to just stand behind the unhappy crowd. Whats not easy tho, is to try out suggestions, especially if they are not ones that you particularly like.

I wasnt a big fan of manual myself, but i have to say that its very intuitive on Pes. Especially the passing. The more you play the more you understand what can or cant be done. And as much as I was undecided for a good while and switching between the two, I dont have this frustration anymore and im sticking with it.

As for your complaints - I agree.
Responsiveness and ball control should be better. Im trying to avoid these situations and use a lot of supercancel when ball is near the touchline, so they dont even attempt to try to trap it. But it doesnt eliminate all the issues. Sometimes Im passing into the space between my players and none of them seems to have any desire to get the ball. What makes it worse is that sometimes i cant switch to any of them.
It takes a while to have a proper feel in order to minimize all those situations but you can get to a point where they will be rare and managable.

As for GK's - im not really sure as I played -1 from the start (and for the last few editions)
So i dont have much to compare (or be put off by)
But even with that I agree that some saves (especially high balls, where GK catches the ball) dont look and feel natural.
I suppose its one of the things you either get used to after while or not (like nets and post hit sound in the other game)

Im yet to try 20mins myself. Started another ML with Parma so might switch there to see.
But Im really finding manual passing + advanced shooting ballanced and fun. It didnt take that long to get used to and its very rewarding.
Last night I had decisive match to stay in first division or be relegated. It was an absolute horror of the game and I scored a winning goal in 92nd min. I screamed and woke the wife up. She didnt appreciate my result for some reason..
some things like ball control leave a lot to be desired, there s a good game in there, but only on professional level, even though, i feel i can pass half the field with just 1 player without anyone intercepting the ball from me, i wish i can record this , its like they just watch me run through field, i don t know if it s the difficulty level, but there is something wrong with the cpu ai not marking well through the middle.

some things like ball control leave a lot to be desired, there s a good game in there, but only on professional level, even though, i feel i can pass half the field with just 1 player without anyone intercepting the ball from me, i wish i can record this , its like they just watch me run through field, i don t know if it s the difficulty level, but there is something wrong with the cpu ai not marking well through the middle.
That's also true.
Partially its difficulty level, coz when i was playing PA1 on superstar or legend, they didnt give me time to fart.
Also, partially its down to AI defensive coding. Last year there was a lot of complaints that defensive positioning is crap. So this year they wanted to address the issue (focus on securing the back) and they left midfield exposed in the process.

For me, personally, its not gamebreaking issue, as playing with no pass assistance on profesional, together with previously mentioned not great responsiveness and ball control, im too wobbly to use this to my advantage.
So every now and again they'll let me have a solo charge accross the pitch, but it ends around penalty area. Long distance shots are also nerfed enough not to have many goals from it.
Speaking of long range goals - i havent had a single one since last patch. They seems to nerfed them even more now (still not sure if its good or bad. I was happy with shooting before)

So basically - profesional with PA0 provides good enough challenge with realistic team strenghts (good teams playing well, weaker playing weaker)
It might be bit frustrating at times but overall "realistic" experience is worth it.

PA1 on Superstar/Legend is also fun, but its all too hard, fast and tense for me. Im playing to relax, not to be sweating like a pig.

And Superstar/Legend on full manual, like some people are playing here?
Hats of and much, much respect, but i'd end up in some Asylum after a day... :LOL:

Ok i have been playing PES19 for a few weeks now and i am 24 games into my Seria A ML with Parma. So here is my review of the game.
I have been playing PES since it was ISS Pro on the SNES . Not a heavy gamer but always bought the next PES when it came out until 2years ago when i gave up with PES16 . I played the other game for a bit and found it was giving me a better more balanced experience than the latest PS3 era Pro Evos.
Now i have moved onto a PS4 eventually this year I was itching to see what the next gen ps4 PES looked like and played like. So i took the plunge and have been giving it a bash.
Initialy i was loving the graphics upgrade from ps3, the game looks lovely . Palyed a wee bit of ML D2 England and had some fun over about 10 matches. Then i decided to start my ML proper in Seria A with Parma.
I play Professional , -1 speed, PA1, Basic shooting
Up until about a 3or4 days ago i was loving it. Especially after the latest 1.03 patch which the AI did start playing a bit more varied and made some little mistakes which cut out a lot of the ping pong passing. The shooting is good but needs tweaked too many shots are too similar and not enough are going high or wide, if they do its maybe just a foot or so wide or high. Theres a good % of shots in football that wildly over or harmlesley wide. Not the case in this Game. Theres also no difference in feel between which player is hitting a shot, its not like you get excited because you have a player on the ball with high shot power so you bang a long range shot in.
The crossing is difficult but i have started to improve and scored a fair amount of headers now, good balance.
The Fouls are just right amount too, sometimes a lot in a game sometime not many, good balance.
Penalties , havent had one yet which is strange considering how many fouls happen in a match, poor balance.
Goalkeepers, can make saves when they want to or when the AI lets them,poor balance.
The AI defensively isnt great i can cut them open too easily , should be harder to create chances. Sometimes you can run at them from Midfield and they just back off. Attacking the AI is quite varied at time and good.
Now the biggest downfall of the game which had me almost putting a Hammer through the TV screen yesterday is the SCRIPTING bollocks. Its a game killer. Dreadful . Made me think about going back to fifa. Is it TS that is causing it or does the game decide right your conceding 3 goals from 3 shots straight away then we will make it even . Litteraly happens in every other game. Its always the same laser guided precision shot into the corner at mid height from average strikers. The annoying thing is you can have a great game after that where everything seems fair and the AI is varied in its attacks and shots and you feel like its a great game . Why the Script. Sometimes it even like your Goalkeeper has been turned off and would be as well not being there. Also your defenders just cant do anything to stop these passes into the box. Wouldnt matter if you signed the best 3 defenders in the world, if the AI decides your losing 3 goals rapid thats it game over.
Therein lies the problem with the game i feel. Lots of players saying no Individuality . Theres no point to Individuality to players , its what the AI decides the script is for the game that Overrides everything, Formations , Great Goalkeeper, Marking, Attack Levels. Wouldnt matter if i played a 5 -4-1 or 3-4-3 you still lose cheap goals no matter. Is there any point in spending £millions on a Goalkeeper that is 84+ rated.
Having no D2s in ML is a blow , cant believe they done that. Couldnt they put in an editable D2 that you can assign to a main league, even a small 12 team league would be better.
Offline. Not my bag but i played 1 match in Divisions which was pretty good tbh. He was Real Madrid and i was Dynamo Moscow , ended 3-0 to Real , but did not feel cheated or scripted. Probably a close to real life difficulty. I might give it more of a try if Master league continues to frustrate me.
Damn it man. You really need to format this post better, spaces between paragraphs and I would read it.

It’s just a huge wall of text.

Haven't played Pes in what seems to be ages (2 months) but I had a few games today,been playing FIFA a lot lately,not because I feel it's better,but it's comfy.

Anyway got back to Pes again after scrolling through my YT channel and watching clips of old 17-18 games and a few Pes 19 games.

I don't know if you have to be out of the loop to really appreciate how good it plays and looks.
I'm used to seeing the ball being pinged around by players not even looking at where they're passing it.
And it's not a comparison,it's just a reflection on how realistic this game can look and play
To bad I'm absolutely rubbish at it though,got murdered playing PA0 on both TP and SS.

One thing though,my main issue with this game has nothing to do on how the game plays,but on the removing of D2,I wasn't even gonna buy it,but did it because it was dirt cheap on release day.
But if they keep this format for PES 2020,I'm out.
Such a horrible fucking decision by onami

European cup competition
20 min
Professional
Full manual
Love the goals, deflections and balls hitting the bar before going in,, thats when pes shines on the pitch
Yup.
I think we can all agree that Pes on default is not great this year.
But if you can settle on manual - its hard to remember last football game that was so close to real life on the ball.

Match 3
European cup competition or champions league as we know it
It s amazing how different the game is btw default and full manual, totally different game
Suarez shot off the crossbar and just behind the line for the goal, pure PES moment.

Match 3
European cup competition or champions league as we know it
It s amazing how different the game is btw default and full manual, totally different game
Suarez shot off the crossbar and just behind the line for the goal, pure PES moment.
The most important thing is that PA0 is quite... "user friendly".
Its not like switching from PA1 will take you through Stations of the Cross.
Took me few matches to remember to hold direction when crossing, but apart of that it was fairly painless.
My main problem with PA0 at the start was that I couldnt do one-two short pass around penalty area, as even tiny tap of the button was too strong. But after last patch it works fine.

The most important thing is that PA0 is quite... "user friendly".
Its not like switching from PA1 will take you through Stations of the Cross.
Took me few matches to remember to hold direction when crossing, but apart of that it was fairly painless.
My main problem with PA0 at the start was that I couldnt do one-two short pass around penalty area, as even tiny tap of the button was too strong. But after last patch it works fine.

Yeah, and also remember to double tap :x: for short, safe, passes. works good in tight spaces.

Lol they cant even get fluid formation right. expect stamina issues but the players are always pulling away from you when you take control of them so its like wading through mud

Sometimes this game feels so boring with no randomness. Just pass pass pass. No heavy touch or miss place passes. Theres no intuition needed like, "I wont try a long ball with this player because he probably will miss the pass." No fouls or penalty given. No diagonal runs or enough movement on attacks.

Other times is very good to play.

Its up to how you play it perhaps? And Im not talking about all this option changes on passing support, cam angle, speed or shooting type. Im talking about my mentality. If Im not demand too much from the game, I find it very fun to play.

Perhaps this game its not incredible or is good as it can for a PS4 game.

Im saying this because Im feeling that after this latest patch, Im feel that manual shooting is scripted or broken like the finess shot. Im missing shots by the same distance every time. Its not possible that lets say, between 16 directions or more or whatever, Im aiming at the same spot every single f...time man!

This completely spoil the fun to me.

Last edited:
Sometimes this game feels so boring with no randomness. Just pass pass pass. No heavy touch or miss place passes. Theres no intuition needed like, "I wont try a long ball with this player because he probably will miss the pass." No fouls or penalty given. No diagonal runs or enough movement on attacks.

Other times is very good to play.

Its up to how you play it perhaps? And Im not talking about all this option changes on passing support, cam angle, speed or shooting type. Im talking about my mentality. If Im not demand too much from the game, I find it very fun to play.

Perhaps this game its not incredible or is good as it can for a PS4 game.

Im saying this because Im feeling that after this latest patch, Im feel that manual shooting is scripted or broken like the finess shot. Im missing shots by the same distance every time. Its not possible that lets say, between 16 directions or more or whatever, Im aiming at the same spot every single f...time man!

This completely spoil the fun to me.
I have seen you mentioned it again about the movement and I agree 1.000%.It is the first thing you must leave behind from pes2018 if you want to enjoy this one.The smooth movement and close control from last year is gone now,it belongs to history.Compared to last year the positioning and the physicality is a big improvement but the player movement is just a rigid 4-direction effectively and only if you run 99% of the time.By simple walking with L-stick is a complete nothing this year,it is the most irrelevant move since pes 2015 imo.And the R2+L stick is an other story it is totally broken this year,I use it very rare.
But for me as I took the decision to play mainly 2019 and less 18 cause of time was a hard decision that I had to take.I hope some day they can combine 18 smooth movement with 17&19 stability and physicality.

Interesting how opinions differ from this game.

I´m totally fine with the latest patch.
Playing a lot on PC with all the mods and I can surely say: best footie game I ever played!

Been playing a few hours on the PS4 the last day and enjoyed it either, even I mostly miss my cam mod.
Had a few online full manual matches and continued my ML afterwards.

This game looks nice in 1080p HDR, I finally don't avoid daytime games now.

Someone here suggested playing without Advanced Instructions and I agree. I've been playing for weeks with Spurs and the team structure is better. Stamina is better for players that don't touch the ball much.

The game has issues but there's enough here to keep me interested.

This forum has saved my football gaming this year.
If it wasnt for you guys i wouldnt try PA0 and most likely wouldnt play by now.
Im saying this coz yesterday i followed another suggestion and switched to 20mins. And yet again it made the overall experience better. Cant really put my finger on it, but seems like match flow has changed again. Played 5 games and I dont think ill be going back to 15mins anytime soon.
AI was more patient, they held a ball more before passing, which increased physicality as I could get into defending battles more, rather than focus on interceptions.
I wasnt getting into a panic mode after loosing a goal and i didnt feel the need to instantly react by changing mentality or moving defensive line. Everything just felt more natural.
And none of the matches ended up with many goals, which is probably main fear that I had.
Here's one of the stats
20181217_230444.jpg
Ps. I know..Edgar Davids.. :LOL:
I liked him and he is very easy to create! :LOL:

Sometimes u just wanna break the joystick for these stuff, why the heck does he stop his run and ruin a chance....
:LOL:
Yeah that looks stupid..
Do you play possession or counter attack?
Player runs are better when on Possession and in general, for PA0 possession seems to be the way to go, as we can rarely use high, accurate, long passess to get the best of counters (at least I cant)
And for quick, ground counters possession will do just fine.
Some of the behaviours are silly tho. Last night I had great pass into space from one CF to another and my player just started running away from the ball.. player select switched to my CM for some reason. When i wanted to manually change to my CF it picked the guy who passed previously. And the "receiver" was still running in circles till ball was lost..
I just pretended it was Lukaku so it made me bit less mad.. :LOL:

Sometimes u just wanna break the joystick for these stuff, why the heck does he stop his run and ruin a chance....
I put a similar clip in my "reasons I don't like PES 2019" video and immediately people were pointing out that he was going to be offside - and I think that's what's happening here.

But how often do you see a professional footballer come to a complete stop (destroying his momentum), rather than blending his run or running inside, to avoid being offside? (Or, just running offside...)

It's another one of those little things - it's not a gamebreaker, but all these basics add up.

This forum has saved my football gaming this year.
If it wasnt for you guys i wouldnt try PA0 and most likely wouldnt play by now.
Im saying this coz yesterday i followed another suggestion and switched to 20mins. And yet again it made the overall experience better. Cant really put my finger on it, but seems like match flow has changed again. Played 5 games and I dont think ill be going back to 15mins anytime soon.
AI was more patient, they held a ball more before passing, which increased physicality as I could get into defending battles more, rather than focus on interceptions.
I wasnt getting into a panic mode after loosing a goal and i didnt feel the need to instantly react by changing mentality or moving defensive line. Everything just felt more natural.
And none of the matches ended up with many goals, which is probably main fear that I had.

I am honestly happy for you that you found the right balance for you, and this comes at no offense, but I have to ask (not you, but in general) what kind of game this is, that only plays decently on 20 minutes with no assists and pretty much feels inferior on every other setting. I'd say it is a badly designed game because it doesn't scale well.

I am a father of a young daughter, I have a job and a family to take care of. I can't play this game for more than an hour tops two every other night and if I want to progress in my ML, I cannot afford 20 minutes matches. It just takes too long. On top of that, if the game does the exact same thing it does in 7 minute encounters – namely, boost the AI unrealistically and throw all kinds of tricks at me that prevent me from scoring more than the 1 per match or whatever the system decides is a proper scoreline based on TS – there is no point in dragging this on more than necessarily.

As for manual: I am playing on broadcast cam (through sider on the PC) and it is simply not possible with the limited time I have to train this to a point where I can figure out the angles and play this competitively. I tried with extended through ball, but it just never ends up anywhere near where I wanted it, so it has to be PA1 for me and some level of assistance.

Perhaps the other game is more geared towards my specific, more casual player type, but after I won the Premiership in my first season I got bored of it and wanted to give PES another go.

I am honestly happy for you that you found the right balance for you, and this comes at no offense, but I have to ask (not you, but in general) what kind of game this is, that only plays decently on 20 minutes with no assists and pretty much feels inferior on every other setting. I'd say it is a badly designed game because it doesn't scale well.

I am a father of a young daughter, I have a job and a family to take care of. I can't play this game for more than an hour tops two every other night and if I want to progress in my ML, I cannot afford 20 minutes matches. It just takes too long. On top of that, if the game does the exact same thing it does in 7 minute encounters – namely, boost the AI unrealistically and throw all kinds of tricks at me that prevent me from scoring more than the 1 per match or whatever the system decides is a proper scoreline based on TS – there is no point in dragging this on more than necessarily.

As for manual: I am playing on broadcast cam (through sider on the PC) and it is simply not possible with the limited time I have to train this to a point where I can figure out the angles and play this competitively. I tried with extended through ball, but it just never ends up anywhere near where I wanted it, so it has to be PA1 for me and some level of assistance.

Perhaps the other game is more geared towards my specific, more casual player type, but after I won the Premiership in my first season I got bored of it and wanted to give PES another go.
No offense taken, especially that Im more or less in the same boat as you, pal.

What I meant is that basic/default game is not great this year. Its crap. It has huge potential, great physics, but does not play well on default settings against AI.
And if it wasnt for people suggestions in here I would simply not be playing it by now.

I could sign my name under your second paragraph. Im working shifts and have a young daughter myself. The only time I can play, is before I go to sleep every few nights, when Im off. For more or less 2 hours.
Dont know if you saw the post of our "most played games". My most played game had around 150hrs.
All I can squeeze is 4 matches/evening in my ML. I started ML in October and Im only starting my second season now.
So i know exactly how you feel.

But I do like football games and the other game is not sitting with me at all, even tho im really trying.
So my options were
- forget about football games
- play the other and get annoyed
- squeeze 4 matches that are enjoyable
So I picked option 3...

Cant really give you any advice about camera. I love to watch broadcast but I cant play it. Im using normal one.

But as for AI boost - it was one of my main complaints from the get go. But i dont have this recently.
Is it my settings? High Team Spirit? Last patch? Dont know. But Im enjoying it.
Main thing is to find a right ballance for yourself.

Back
Top Bottom