PES 2019 Discussion Thread (PS4, XB1)

Fregen: Manual R2 low finish from outside the box in MyClub challenge cup vs Sao Paulo professional. Admitted, lot of space due to deep defensive line, Ai attack +1 and 4/5 of my players in attack.

A very nice goal but definitely not an R2(Finesse/Controlled/Spin) shot.
I have no doubt you've pressed R2 but the game decided to do a non-R2 shot.:))

Last edited:
Not enjoying other game at moment so started a ML with Napoli.
The prices of players need a major tweak.
Brought in Pulisic for £18m (would go for £50m), Firmino for £26m (would go for £80m plus) the winger from Ajax for £22m (would go for £50m), Alberwield £27m (would go for £50m) and Lipzeig young centre half for £11m.
Also the release clauses are a bit odd. I cant sign a player unless I put a release clause in thats about £2m higher than what I paid for him.
Sold a few older players so still have £35m in bank.
Won first game away to Atalanta 0-3.

Last edited:
A very nice goal but definitely not an R2(Finesse/Controlled/Spin) shot.
I have no doubt you've pressed R2 but the game decided to do a non-R2 shot.:))

Isn't that the point with manual R2 shots though? From my experience they're just not the same as assisted R2's. I also don't get that curl on them, but as in game screen says.... they just seem placed better.

Anyway I had read Fregen having trouble with manual R2's and someone else (maybe Emroth with keeping manual shots low), so I thought to share.

It's a cute finish, but nothing special with defense running back and dmf's uninterested in tracking :D

Not enjoying other game at moment so started a ML with Napoli.
The prices of players need a major tweak.
Brought in Pulisic for £18m (would go for £50m), Firmino for £26m (would go for £80m plus) the winger from Ajax for £22m (would go for £50m), Alberwield £27m (would go for £50m) and Lipzeig young centre half for £11m.
Also the release clauses are a bit odd. I cant sign a player unless I put a release clause in thats about £2m higher than what I paid for him.
Sold a few older players so still have £35m in bank.
Won first game away to Atalanta 0-3.
I’m not sure why anyone is still playing this until it’s patched.

:P

I know I know but Im just not enjoying the other game but I need to play something.
You seem like a very similiar football gamer to me. I'm just not feeling the other game anymore. It's either too easy or too frustrating and completely unrealistic (overhead kicks in midfield, no fouls etc)

This on the other hand plays nice at times....but it feels so hollow and shallow. Master League feels like a collection of friendly matches. I simply shrug my shoulders when I win a match, same if I lose...I don't care.

Think I am growing tired of modern day football games. I miss the excitment and magic of PES 3 or PES 5. Plus I'm an old grump now too.

That goal shows a little tweak thats needed by the patch. All 4 defenders retreat. At least one needs to go to the ball.
Isn't that the point with manual R2 shots though? From my experience they're just not the same as assisted R2's. I also don't get that curl on them, but as in game screen says.... they just seem placed better.

Anyway I had read Fregen having trouble with manual R2's and someone else (maybe Emroth with keeping manual shots low), so I thought to share.

It's a cute finish, but nothing special with defense running back and dmf's uninterested in tracking :D
I'm just focused on the shot since I know defense on Prof(in any difficulty, actually) can be weird at times.:DD

Looking at the shot again. Yes, It can look like an R2 shot. Maybe, I'm just used to seeing this shot when doing just a normal shoot or I'm just used to seeing a left foot R2-curler on that angle(or outside curler when using the right foot on that angle).

Yes, manual R2 is very different and very difficult from assisted.
Depending on the type of R2 shot the player does, they mostly go 1 meter away from your "stick direction".
Inside the box, you can be consistent but you need a lot more concentration since the ball doesn't go exactly to where you aim, and your player's body position is more important before taking the shot.
Outside the box, it's a different story. I still try it every now and then but even if my shot is accurate(ball going towards the corner), there's a good chance the GK will save it.
In all my game since the Demo, I think I've only managed to score 6 R2 shots outside the box in exhibition(TP or SS). Who knows, how many attempts I tried.:DD

Last edited:
You seem like a very similiar football gamer to me. I'm just not feeling the other game anymore. It's either too easy or too frustrating and completely unrealistic (overhead kicks in midfield, no fouls etc)

This on the other hand plays nice at times....but it feels so hollow and shallow. Master League feels like a collection of friendly matches. I simply shrug my shoulders when I win a match, same if I lose...I don't care.

Think I am growing tired of modern day football games. I miss the excitment and magic of PES 3 or PES 5. Plus I'm an old grump now too.

This.
I just prefer the way PES feels and looks but there is definitely something missing and Im putting that down to my age.
I started 5 career modes in other game and stopped I couldnt get into it. Now Ive started Master League and its OK - Im not expecting much. But as I dont get the time anymore this will do.
Plus Im glad Ive gone PES as thats what I swapped the One X for a PS4 for as I think it always plays and looks better on PS.
Such a shame we cant mod it like PC.
I was seriously thinking about getting PC to play PES a few years ago but I went right off the game around PES13 so didnt bother.
This looks amazing...

I wonder if you guys ever played the game on legendary difficulty. IF i win, i don´t shrug my shoulders for sure. It is a touch fight from the beginning to the end especially versus top teams, without feeling the CPU is too overpowered. The CPU urgency and awareness in defence and their pressing replicates football and patient build up in a completely different way than on all other levels and any football game i played before.

Really interesting how game play and feel different if you don`t play it for 3-4 days. Maybe this time in we live we always try to find more and more issues and not enjoy the games for what they are. I speak this becouse in the past, in ps1-ps2 era we were amazed how technology go forward and we take notice for every new thing like something amazing is happening and today is the opposite. Don`t get me wrong, we need patches to fix the AI for offline gaming :)

I wonder if you guys ever played the game on legendary difficulty. IF i win, i don´t shrug my shoulders for sure. It is a touch fight from the beginning to the end especially versus top teams, without feeling the CPU is too overpowered. The CPU urgency and awareness in defence and their pressing replicates football and patient build up in a completely different way than on all other levels and any football game i played before.
Philla, is Legendary much harder than Superstar? By harder I mean does AI makes any mistakes? Do they have any missed shots? Are their laser-guided passes even more crazy than on SS? The reason I didnt try it is that Im loosing 9/10 matches on SS. And there are goals, where I cant do anything to stop it. But it plays nice till 80th minute. But if Legendary is having a whole game like last 10mins on SS than ill save myself this torture.

Philla, is Legendary much harder than Superstar? By harder I mean does AI makes any mistakes? Do they have any missed shots? Are their laser-guided passes even more crazy than on SS? The reason I didnt try it is that Im loosing 9/10 matches on SS. And there are goals, where I cant do anything to stop it. But it plays nice till 80th minute. But if Legendary is having a whole game like last 10mins on SS than ill save myself this torture.

It is harder without a doubt, but not because the CPU is going mad on offensive precision. Much more they close gaps in midfield and are going for the ball directly after losing possession. Generally this opens new ways for the CPU to score apart from their usual fallback strategy:

- goals you concede by failing to clear the ball from your crowded third
- balls getting intercepted early in midfield, which leave your defense exposed

Best of all, you still see easy misses, passing errors and panic clearings by the CPU.

Last edited:
Outside the box, it's a different story. I still try it every now and then but even if my shot is accurate(ball going towards the corner), there's a good chance the GK will save it.
In all my game since the Demo, I think I've only managed to score 6 R2 shots outside the box in exhibition(TP or SS). Who knows, how many attempts I tried.:DD

I have an interesting R2 outside of the box somewhere, when I find I'll post it. Its trajectory is much more like an assisted R2 if I remember correctly and it's floaty. I'm back to low PES activity again now, but I'll try find it amongst saved files.

It is harder without a doubt, but not because the CPU is going mad on offensive precision. Much more they close gaps in midfield and are going for the ball directly after losing possession. Generally this opens new ways for the CPU to score apart from their usual fallback strategy:

- goals you concede by failing to clear the ball from your cowded third
- balls getting intercepted early in midfield, which leave your defense exposed

Best of all, you still see easy misses, passing errors and panic clearings by the CPU.
So I played one game, just to test it. I dont play with big teams so I had to pick my usual level teams. So I played
Wolves (me) - Feyenoord (com)
And it finished... 1-1 !!!

Unfortunately lost a goal the usual way - low cross in 93rd minute and tap in.

But the game overall was very good. Like a game of chess. I really had to put my foot of the gas and play it smart. There is a lot of pressure from AI but it feels natural.
I had to adjust my defense and use a lot of secondary pressure to mark AI players.
And one thing I really liked - because AI pressures you so much they might open themselves for a quick counter. Had two one-on-one situations, which I very rarely had on other difficulties...
Oh and I had lots of fouls and yellows!
You are right - it feels like a football match!
I even had AI shot from distance!
I might start new ML with Wolves on Legend and try not to get relegated.
Thanks for the tip, pal!

holy cow @Lons is right...this game online is addictive!

Online Divisions, not myClub. Just had some amazing games....it finds them quickly too this year!

@Elanimator I found that R2 shot rather quickly, but it's not interesting actually. It was vs Man City Top Player in some challenge cup and altough the shot looks a bit floatier in game footage and it seems an amazing shot, in replay footage it's like 1,5-2 meter away from top corner -lol- and it just looks like bad scripted goalkeeper response. Maybe a next time :))

That goal shows a little tweak thats needed by the patch. All 4 defenders retreat. At least one needs to go to the ball.
The ai has been rubbish for several years now in pes. The tactics are not organic enough. It is all very robotic, and hard coded, making players not react in natural ways to what is happening on the pitch. Still glad I did not get pes 2019 - the game is lacking in so many areas that it has become embarrassing.

@Elanimator I found that R2 shot rather quickly, but it's not interesting actually. It was vs Man City Top Player in some challenge cup and altough the shot looks a bit floatier in game footage and it seems an amazing shot, in replay footage it's like 1,5-2 meter away from top corner -lol- and it just looks like bad scripted goalkeeper response. Maybe a next time :))
Haha I know what you mean. Sometimes, there are goals that looks like it was just given to you by the game because goal keepers didn't react properly.
The worst is that sometimes GKs react but the ball passes through their hands or arms, just to let you score.

The ai has been rubbish for several years now in pes. The tactics are not organic enough. It is all very robotic, and hard coded, making players not react in natural ways to what is happening on the pitch. Still glad I did not get pes 2019 - the game is lacking in so many areas that it has become embarrassing.
and yet it's so fulfilling when you turn a defender a smash a low shot on advanced shooting into the bottom corner..for me no other games comes close for scoring goals

Online Co-op mode is an absolute broken mess atm on Xbox. The matchmaking has destroyed the mode. Myself & mates ( all in the UK) are only being matched with Brazilians. Since there's no region lock, and no search filter option there is no way to prevent this.
To top it off, the majority of these matches are against solo players 'sigh'. Again, no filter to prevent this.
Can't remember playing a non Brazilian within the past 2 wks.

I'm assuming most European players have sacked this mode off, so I'm not sure if adding filters would fix anything. The player base was already small to begin with. It's probably non existent now. The 'Eng' lobbies are just littered with Brazilians.

Any PC Co-op players in here? Is the Pc region locked? If not, do you have the same issues?

and yet it's so fulfilling when you turn a defender a smash a low shot on advanced shooting into the bottom corner..for me no other games comes close for scoring goals

I have to agree. I played the other recently. Its grand, I had lots of fun, nice and smooth, AI is cool and atmosphere incredible. But a goal is just a goal. Almost like in...basketball.
"Point up. Nothing major. Lets start again."
I never even thought about recording any of the goals I scored there...

When you score a goal on PES its like.......BOOOOOOM!!!!!!!

Goals are so damn rewarding! Especially on high (SS and above) difficulties, where you have to work really hard to get them.
In PES when you score a screamer from outside the box, you FEEL that you had everything right - momentum, body ballance, precision and force. It feels that you earned it!

On the other it feels like you were just...lucky.
And can anyone tell me whats the story with goal (net) sound effects on the other?? :LOL:
Everytime you score a goal its like...."KRUUUGH"... :LOL: like a game from 90's... ridiculous... :LOL:

There is a huge bug in ml when you are about to sign a new player. For example if your wanted player has 26% for 25m rate to sign him, when you go the slider to the maximum then your rates are 100% with 29m. Wtf...

I'm holding off until the patch,not because I don't like playing it,but because I don't want to start over again if that's needed.
For me,when the game clicks,it plays so good,don't get that anywhere else,even if other games feels better in general.
@P34SEMM I played Pes 19 on my mates Ps4 pro the other day,and I can assure you,it doesn't look better than on my X,not even close mate.
I also asked him why his wife kept moving the lawn outside,he didn't take that joke well:)

Last edited:
I'm holding off until the patch,not because I don't like playing it,but because I don't want to start over again if that's needed.
Do you recon it might be required to start over?? I mean, last ML fix with transfers - that was obvious as all the transfers were done and teams had 17 Goalkeepers.
But DLC, some stadiums and gameplay tweaks shouldnt require a restart, should it?
How was it on Pes18? Every data pack that came out didnt require new ML as far as I remember. And they were tweaking gameplay as well...

Back
Top Bottom