PES 2019 Discussion Thread (PS4, XB1)

Gamespot review doesn't mention anything about poor AI, and every team and game feeling the same?

After 30-40 matches with the full version, this might be my biggest issue - I've been playing cup competitions and lower quality teams are playing like Man City, with lots of beautiful first touch passing moves that, like @Placebo said, I can't do anything about.

I do see variety in how they build out of the back, but once they arrive in the final third, every team can keep possession and succeeds at first touch passes. And it seems like all teams prefer quick passing - while I'll see wingers go on runs when they get behind my backline, I don't think I've hardly seen an attacking CPU player attempt a difficult dribble - they rarely try to take you on in 1-on-1 situations.

And quite frankly, the AI can be shockingly poor at times. The amount of space afforded CPU players is a problem, leading to these easy passing moves even by lower quality teams. Overall, I feel like I concede too many goals that I have no idea what else I could've done but the CPU attackers were just so wide open.

Meanwhile, defenders are so concerned with dropping deep and maintaining formation that they don't apply pressure like they should, making counter attacks too easy. I've had too many dribbles that start on the midway line and the CPU doesn't bother to close me down until the top of the box.

In attack, the CPU is way over reliant on low crosses from the wing. And it's like even the CPU knows that headed crosses never happen, because they are nearly always going for the low cross. I too have yet to see the CPU attempt many (and?) long shots.

For my own team, man I'm getting frustrated by my teammates starting runs only to stop after I've passed the ball. Again, it's like the AI players are so afraid of being caught out of position that they are making poor contextual choices. A great example is that in one of my recent matches, my fullback was wide open in the box for an easy shot, but he abandoned that space to run back into position, so my pass went to a defender. That's nuts - no footballer is going to just run away when he finds himself unmarked in the box!

So much to love but I'm really struggling with tons of frustration at the moment.

Just looked into Master League and unless i'm missing something it appears that the French Ligue 2 playoff format is not implemented for the third year running? It's just two up, two down which last I checked is incorrect. This is more frustrating than before since they've removed the possibility of playing the 2nd division in Spain or Italy.
What confuses me here is that Konami had Spanish and Italian playoffs completely correct (right down to the italian playoff not taking place if 3rd was more than 10 points clear) even though those leagues were never licensed. They had Ligue 2 licensed for years and it still isn't right.
I appreciate most will not care much for Ligue 2 but to have the license and then not correctly implement the regulations is poor.

Just received my steam key (from Humble). But i can't download the game yet as steam says that the game doesn't officially released. Hopefully in the next 2-3 hours though.

@Red Hand see this
PROEVOLUTIONSOCCER2019DEMO_20180829201753.png
for my screenshot.
i call the 55KS9090 my own. my image seems a little darker. but in comparison its not a lot.
maybe we should use a different camp not shot for comparison needs. only rely on this one yt screener seems unprofessional. ;)
watch botch pics on your telly. awesome TV btw!! wish i could afford an OLED but i'm satisfied with mine. :)

edit:
BTW: i have some nice HDR video samples (from LG) for your OLED TV. if you are interested and have a cloud service i can upload them to you!

sooooo.... now im off playing the retail 1.01!!! :D

because its fresh: someone wants to see me dig in settings and maybe training ground?! if yes, i'll set up the stream. NON HDR stream! :RANT:

;)) :BYE:

Last edited:
re my previous post, ai try to play on first post on pro difficulty. tried on top player ai plays totally different, less pass errors though but it's good. guys one thing that completly changed the game for me in last two hours, attacking levels!!! how big difference that made, when is minus one ai made more mistakes and really trying to find space in my defence, no through the wing all the time. changing attacking levels properly is most important thing for balanced gameplay imho :) I remember back in a ps2 days ai used to do this automacally but we have to do for ourself or set it to auto. try it for yourself and see the difference :)

Love the game.

Been playing FIFA clubs last 8 years or so on manual, but last year had enough as it was rubbish.

The switch to pes is a breath of fresh air and I am enjoying the learning curve.

Is the team play an equivalent of clubs? Can you search based on similar controls?

On a 4k TV the game is gorgeous, I can't stop pausing it at the moment to look at all the subtle touches.

Well done konami

Love the game.

Been playing FIFA clubs last 8 years or so on manual, but last year had enough as it was rubbish.

The switch to pes is a breath of fresh air and I am enjoying the learning curve.

Is the team play an equivalent of clubs? Can you search based on similar controls?

On a 4k TV the game is gorgeous, I can't stop pausing it at the moment to look at all the subtle touches.

Well done konami
What do you think is the reason Fifa Manual feels harder than PES manual?
In PES, it felt more assisted.
Just curious. Thanks.

I think the manual controls are ok. Seems to be more based on power when my passes go astray. I also turned off all the guides.

Been playing FIFA manual for years so probably more used to it.

Love the game.

Well done konami
Forget everything you are used to off the pitch! ;)
Na really. You’ll see. Online filter are sparse.
I like that you enjoy the game! :))

A few more games in and the subtle details that always made less great have suddenly returned. Poor touches, good fouls, deflections, bits of skill, it's brilliant.

I saw something I've never seen before, played a through ball and the defender stretched for it, I assumed he'd get it so stopped but he couldn't get enough on the ball and it just changed direction very slightly. I tried to make it but where I'd slowed down it was too late.

Also, I was Lyon and traore just kept making bad touches, or needing a touch before he could play the pass. Also seeing lots of stray passed on 1 bar. I'm really really enjoying this.

Also, top player isn't a frustrating mess this year. Enjoyable like professional but more of a challenge obviously.

Can you watch J League and Japanese baseball from Australia? :)

Do you come back here sometimes?

Not sure about Baseball but it's really hard to stream any J League these days.

I've been back only once lol; to me, it's a brand new city from memory. Yokohama sure has changed a lot but then my childhood memory is so vague to trust.

Yes of course i did go to see Marinos training ground and i saw Yuji Nakazawa trained but couldn't see Nakamura sensei.

After 30-40 matches with the full version, this might be my biggest issue - I've been playing cup competitions and lower quality teams are playing like Man City, with lots of beautiful first touch passing moves that, like @Placebo said, I can't do anything about.

I do see variety in how they build out of the back, but once they arrive in the final third, every team can keep possession and succeeds at first touch passes. And it seems like all teams prefer quick passing - while I'll see wingers go on runs when they get behind my backline, I don't think I've hardly seen an attacking CPU player attempt a difficult dribble - they rarely try to take you on in 1-on-1 situations.

And quite frankly, the AI can be shockingly poor at times. The amount of space afforded CPU players is a problem, leading to these easy passing moves even by lower quality teams. Overall, I feel like I concede too many goals that I have no idea what else I could've done but the CPU attackers were just so wide open.

Meanwhile, defenders are so concerned with dropping deep and maintaining formation that they don't apply pressure like they should, making counter attacks too easy. I've had too many dribbles that start on the midway line and the CPU doesn't bother to close me down until the top of the box.

In attack, the CPU is way over reliant on low crosses from the wing. And it's like even the CPU knows that headed crosses never happen, because they are nearly always going for the low cross. I too have yet to see the CPU attempt many (and?) long shots.

For my own team, man I'm getting frustrated by my teammates starting runs only to stop after I've passed the ball. Again, it's like the AI players are so afraid of being caught out of position that they are making poor contextual choices. A great example is that in one of my recent matches, my fullback was wide open in the box for an easy shot, but he abandoned that space to run back into position, so my pass went to a defender. That's nuts - no footballer is going to just run away when he finds himself unmarked in the box!

So much to love but I'm really struggling with tons of frustration at the moment.

The main reason why I have not jumped in for the first time in 20 years. I do not like the ai/tactics in the pes games as they stand. Too much weird stuff happening for my liking.

I think the manual controls are ok. Seems to be more based on power when my passes go astray. I also turned off all the guides.

Been playing FIFA manual for years so probably more used to it.
Thanks.
Out of curiousity, I tried fifa 18 manual for the first time today. I removed trainer, so no arrow.
I can't pinpoint the reason but it feels harder. Passes are slower. Pass receiver's reactions feels a bit slower.

It's almost the same feeling I had, when I tried PES15 manual from the first time. I got discouraged during that time and returned back to PA1 on PES15.
I eventually switched to manual, starting with PES17. I got used to it by now, that it almost felt too assisted at times.

Last edited:
Thanks.
Out of curiousity, I tried fifa 18 manual for the first time today. I removed trainer, so no arrow.
I can't pinpoint the reason but it feels harder. Passes are slower. Pass receiver's reactions feels a bit slower.

It's almost the same feeling I had, when I tried PES15 manual from the first time. I got discouraged during that time and returned back to PA1 on PES15.
I eventually switched to manual on PES17. I got used to it by now, that it almost felt too assisted at times.
Huge difference between FIFA and Pes manual,I'm on semi with FIFA and manual on Pes.
Older Pes (12-15) is close to FIFA's
And 17 is very assisted at times (not always,had 69% Vs Genoa and 87% Vs Fiorentina)
I guess it's up to how much scripting the CPU are on.

In controls sheet (full version) L2 is shown with no usage when in defense.
Some was saying the use it to shield better against the opponent. What’s up with that? Just Konami?!
In options is a menu point called, delete love update data. Was that there last year?

re my previous post, ai try to play on first post on pro difficulty. tried on top player ai plays totally different, less pass errors though but it's good. guys one thing that completly changed the game for me in last two hours, attacking levels!!! how big difference that made, when is minus one ai made more mistakes and really trying to find space in my defence, no through the wing all the time. changing attacking levels properly is most important thing for balanced gameplay imho :) I remember back in a ps2 days ai used to do this automacally but we have to do for ourself or set it to auto. try it for yourself and see the difference :)

The attacking levels are very important during the game and they are related to the stamina system. If you use an attack level during most of the game your midfielders and forwards will be very tired at min 70-75 and substitutions become very important. If you use a balanced attacking level the stamina of your players can last all the game, maybe people that complained about the demo stamina system didn't use attacking levels.

Huge difference between FIFA and Pes manual,I'm on semi with FIFA and manual on Pes.
Older Pes (12-15) is close to FIFA's
And 17 is very assisted at times (not always,had 69% Vs Genoa and 87% Vs Fiorentina)
I guess it's up to how much scripting the CPU are on.
I see. That may be the reason I have that feeling in PES15, when I tried manual during that time.

Back
Top Bottom