PES 2019 Discussion Thread (PC)

I´m playing with 144 FPS, 60 FPS locked in the settings. Seems PES picks the desktop refreshrate instead of the lock. Just try to set you desired refresh rate before you run the game and turn VSYNC on in your graphics card settings.
If you set 60fps it picks the desktop refreshrate (if you forced Maximum Refreshrate via Control Center). If you set it to 30fps it bisect this refreshrate.

Option file (which is part of every larger community patch too) IS the very root of the problem.
Ok, I see now. So the option file holds the info about players and teams and uniforms and a patch does the same it just also goes in and modifies things like gameplay mechanics, imported player faces, new stadiums, etc. So both will have this updating problem. Ok.

It has got me thinking I might just get FIFA 19. The demo has grew on me and to be honest it will be great to just pick up the game and play, not worry about patching it, hoping they fix the AI etc.
...Fifa is far from perfect gameplay wise, but it has a lot of stuff that PES doesn't. The AI sems to play how you'd expect, teams have personality, players actually dribble against you. Also the physical side of the game and the 50/50 battles really make the game feel more like a battle.
I play both so there is no bias here, but if those very specific things about strategy and mechanics are the things that bother you about PES, you're in for extreme diappointment with FIFA. The demo shows a little improvement but from the last 2 years but only in minor things. Underneath that, it's easy to see if you've been playing/modding FIFA for the past 4 years or so that it is the exact same game with graphic tweaks here and there and clearly tweaked to appeal to FUT players and FUT players only. There is nothing wrong with that, I'm just responding to you thinking that FIFA is somehow more geared towards realistic play and diversity among CPU players. It's not. This isn't an opinion, it's just how the players are designed and how the database tables are written. Of course, I'm only talking about the game 'out of the box' as it were and not tweaked by people who know how to make it better. Same can be said for PES. It's just that PES doesn't need as much work to play a realistic game of football, although I see in it as well signs that they are catering to the online crowd that collects points.
I am struggling to justify why I should keep playing PES.
You shouldn't struggle. There is no obligation to play it or to like it. Even if everyone on the planet thought it was the best game, you could still play FIFA and wouldn't need to justify anything to anyone. It's your life, after all. Every hockey fan plays NHL. They love it. I haven't been able to touch the NHL series for over 4 years after buying each one since 1994. I still play 2K hockey games from 10-15 years ago and I don't bother justifying not playing NHL. Do your own thing, not just in games, in life.

I am starting to struggle a little with PES 2019.

I initially was really enjoying it. They were some things which bothered me gameplay wise such as the clipping and AI, mainly on defense. Also the presentation and licensing wasn't great, but I have spent hours playing around with patchees and mods and it's looking good now. The gameplay issues I was willing to overlook them and I started up MyClub and opened all of that stuff, but it was ML that I really got stuck into, and I was really enjoying it.

Gameplay wise there is a lot to like. The pace overall is good, sometimes it feels a bit fast with the good teams, but overall it's good. Passing I think is really good and the ball has good weight to it. Graphically it is also fantastic, looks great in 4k.

But recently I wanted to get into MyClub but couldn't because the server issues, but I have been unable to even play the game with the white screen error thing. Which was really annoying.
Then in ML the constant same goals over and over from the AI, passing from the wings, passing again from 10 yards out so someone could tap it in, is becoming really annoying. Every team seems to play the same.

I decided to try MyClub again last night (after 3 attempts of starting the game with the white screen) and played my first 2 online games. I got matched with a player over 1000 rating, He had Mbappe and a few other stars, I was rated 400 with it being my first. He battered me 5-0. Didnt feel like I could do much to stop him, first time shot goals galore, my defense AI, which is one of my annoyances, was just stupid, way too passive.
Next game I got matched with a guy who was 670 ish rated, and I got beat 3-1. The gameplay still didn't feel great, the lack of physical battles is a problem.
Admittingly it probably won't help that my team is a bit of mess with about 58 rating, so I know they won't be performing properly, but the matchmaking annoyed me and the fact that Konami are shotting world class players at people from the off. Then the silly high rated players from rubbish clubs is just strange. A random AMF player from Flamengo or something is rated higher then say Kevin De Bruyne. Just silly.

It is all starting to add up now. I am thinking of just continuing with ML but there is that bug where teams sell all their players and play players in strange postions and have a sub bench consisting of say two GK's and a single defender. So going forward that could be a big problem, I want to play United and City etc with their proper squads.

It has got me thinking I might just get FIFA 19. The demo has grew on me and to be honest it will be great to just pick up the game and play, not worry about patching it, hoping they fix the AI etc. All i'd probs do is slow down the gamespeed which I beleive you just do in the settings.
The presentation is fantastic and adds another level to the game... but it is gameplay that really matters, but I don't feel like PES is there with the gameplay if i'm being honest, it's close in many respect, but the AI and physical side of the game is lacking. Fifa is far from perfect gameplay wise, but it has a lot of stuff that PES doesn't. The AI sems to play how you'd expect, teams have personality, players actually dribble against you. Also the physical side of the game and the 50/50 battles really make the game feel more like a battle.

PES will probably come through except it will take a good few months once konami looks into user/login numbers. I think they will wait for F2P to release and if they see numbers are massively down from last year they will do something. I say "if" because this feels like an experiment of gaming vs gaming addiction (e.g. can we generate income from minimal inputs simply by giving a daily login bonus and weekly agents)

Fifa demo feels good but, personally I don't trust EA either not to screw up - I hear the servers are already open for some people which is GREAT for me because it lessens my hype for an early purchase. I have F18 so I have to see if I'm seeing/feeling £45 worth of goodness.

If I'd have bought PES I could consider buying FIFA in protest. But I think major gameplay changes will come only when we hit next gen and this is why konami have a 3 year plan - 3 years of sitting on your ass then dish out the goods.

I am starting to struggle a little with PES 2019.

Then in ML the constant same goals over and over from the AI, passing from the wings, passing again from 10 yards out so someone could tap it in, is becoming really annoying. Every team seems to play the same.

It is all starting to add up now. I am thinking of just continuing with ML but there is that bug where teams sell all their players and play players in strange postions and have a sub bench consisting of say two GK's and a single defender. So going forward that could be a big problem, I want to play United and City etc with their proper squads.

As you are on PC, get the Incas mod to gameplay, totally revitalises the game. Not saying its a 100% fix, but the AI play with some much more variety and you dont feel like they do anything automatic.

ML, well having simmed a fair few test seasons there is a transfer bug... however and its a big however. It only affects 2 or 3 Premier League teams, no more. And 99% of the time those teams are Leicester and Burnley, occasionally you see Bournemouth, Watford or Brighton go a bit silly as well, but its only 2 of those.

I have never seen Liverpool, Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal etc butcher their squads. Yes they will sell the odd player, but they also sign.... so for example in Chelsea sign Vertonghen from Spurs, in reaction to that Spurs get Maguire... thats how the big clubs play out. But even taking that into account, you dont see a huge turnover of the first team, so you still recognise the teams as they are.

Im not saying transfers dont need fixing, they do. But its not the massive issue people are describing. It never happens outside of hte Premier League in the sims ive run. There is obviously a trigger to it and I dont understand it, but just have a few tests of the transfer window in PES and you will see a few patterns and it wont be as hideous as you probably think.

How? Go to the actual pes settings.exe and you will see

This:
I´m playing with 144 FPS, 60 FPS locked in the settings. Seems PES picks the desktop refreshrate instead of the lock. Just try to set you desired refresh rate before you run the game and turn VSYNC on in your graphics card settings.

I can't understand why people think the 60fps check box setting in pes2019 settings is from the Bible. Half of konami techniques does not work as intended or works wrong. Add this 60 or 30 fps check box to the list.

Monitoring programs like fraps and msi afterburner do not joke when showing 144fps (in my pc with 144hz monitor).

the good thing about PES as a game, is the passing, the way you build up, but when u come close to goal, everything starts to fall flat because of the darn design issues on this engine they are using, the other game will never come close to how pes feels when u start passing the ball around, but on superstar difficulty its just not realistic how the AI plays, every team become a barcelona, i just wish they would some day, some day, fix this AI to make it more down to earth, i guess the older games had a much better way of representing superstar difficulty, especially since PES 2017, you would never feel that when u are 1 on 1 with the keeper that u can round him and score, this is just jarring, to say the least, football, when u are 1 on 1 you need to feel that the keeper can come out and that you can round him and score, there is so much repetitiveness when the AI or you, are encouraged to shoot the ball from the edge of the area into top corner, and never to let keeper come out so that you can round him or pass to someone who s clear on goal.
plus the fouls, i m not talking about pes 2019, at least in pes 2018, only 1 foul in a game of 11 min.... just jarring!!!!

Just a quick question which could probably lead to a lengthy debate!

What PC patch do you all find best to use at the moment? Using Pes Patch at present I'm using CYPES 2.1 and find it brilliant. I am just wondering if anyone has any alternatives they rank higher? I am particularly interested in thoughts on PESMultiverse patch which looks very good.

As you are on PC, get the Incas mod to gameplay, totally revitalises the game. Not saying its a 100% fix, but the AI play with some much more variety and you dont feel like they do anything automatic.

ML, well having simmed a fair few test seasons there is a transfer bug... however and its a big however. It only affects 2 or 3 Premier League teams, no more. And 99% of the time those teams are Leicester and Burnley, occasionally you see Bournemouth, Watford or Brighton go a bit silly as well, but its only 2 of those.

I have never seen Liverpool, Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal etc butcher their squads. Yes they will sell the odd player, but they also sign.... so for example in Chelsea sign Vertonghen from Spurs, in reaction to that Spurs get Maguire... thats how the big clubs play out. But even taking that into account, you dont see a huge turnover of the first team, so you still recognise the teams as they are.

Im not saying transfers dont need fixing, they do. But its not the massive issue people are describing. It never happens outside of hte Premier League in the sims ive run. There is obviously a trigger to it and I dont understand it, but just have a few tests of the transfer window in PES and you will see a few patterns and it wont be as hideous as you probably think.

I did use the mod and it worked well, but now it gives me the white screen and closes.
At first I thought it was just the game (one of the issues Konami has confirmed) but running the game using the .exe works fine now (didn't for a few days) but running the game using Sider, which activate the v2 mod, now gives me the white screen and closes.

This:

I can't understand why people think the 60fps check box setting in pes2019 settings is from the Bible. Half of konami techniques does not work as intended or works wrong. Add this 60 or 30 fps check box to the list.

Monitoring programs like fraps and msi afterburner do not joke when showing 144fps (in my pc with 144hz monitor).
Well I have fraps and my FPS gets locked at 60fps..

What PC patch do you all find best to use at the moment? Using Pes Patch at present I'm using CYPES 2.1 and find it brilliant. I am just wondering if anyone has any alternatives they rank higher? I am particularly interested in thoughts on PESMultiverse patch which looks very good.

Until these patches start making use of Sider and LiveCPK, and start adding Modules like Scoreboard Server, Ball Server, Referee Kit Server, GFX MOD, Adding new cameras. Pitches. etc... so most of them are more or less the same. Kits may be different. Faces may be different. One patch has the Bundesliga. The other does not. Etc. But 70% of them have the same boring content.

But all of them are still using the old CPK File List Bin method. None of them are really willing to go that extra mile and take chances. They all play it safe.

PES 6 patches, PES 2013 patches used to provide extra flavour, each of them used to give us something extra.

Until these patches start making use of Sider and LiveCPK, and start adding Modules like Scoreboard Server, Ball Server, Referee Kit Server, GFX MOD, Adding new cameras. Pitches. etc... so most of them are more or less the same....
PES 6 patches, PES 2013 patches used to provide extra flavour, each of them used to give us something extra.
I totally agree about how intricately developed PES6 patches were (and still are). EVERYthing is modded or designed. You seem knowledgable about this stuff (or you've been playing mods of games for more than 10 years like me). So would you say that today option files and "patches" are the same essentially?

Why does it seem like PES Multiverse and the one by ICritMyPants are exactly the same? Even the same wording in the instructions. Anyone know?

I am sure there are hardly more than 2 to 3 people in the entire internet who actually make patches, the rest ..... (let's be honest)

Every year I´m using Pesgalaxy Patch (it´s still in progress for 2019) which has everything included (Scoreboards, Gameplay patch, TV logos, Chatns etc).
It´s easy to install either.

As I couldn´t wait any longer I installed PTE Patch which is also good for now.

Because my rig can't handle it, i set monitor refresh to 50HZ and i useborderless so i have frame cap a 50 fps.
Very smooth (compared to 60 HZ with 50-55 fps)

I'd love to know where this obsession with trying to get the highest frame rate possible comes from when most game games aren't made to display optimally at anything higher than 60. That doesn't mean they were meant to ONLY look good at 60, but most developers don't think that far ahead for reasons related to typical user computer specs, etc. But also, if your monitor isn't capable of refresh rates higher than 60, nothing you set to display at higher than 60 is gonna work. It's like sending a 2-channel stereo signal to 5 speakers and turning on Surround Sound: it may sound very 3-dimensional and you could swear that you're hearing 5 channels, but that is NOT 5.1. All you've done is amplified the 2-channel signal so the surround separation is more noticeable. Plus, frame rate isn't the be-all-to-end-all of image quality. Your eyes can reasonably, scientifically recognise about 150 frames per second before it becomes like trying to tell the difference between a lossless compressed and an uncompressed audio file.
Also -- last thing, I promise -- your eyes don't look at a moving image like a camera sensor or scanner that tracks it all at once or in even pieces. Objects in your periphery don't egt as much attention as things you choose to focus in on. So that player approaching a defenseman is something you can catch much more movement from. A genetic relic of our hunting days when we needed to do more than go to the butcher shop to get meat. But our eyes "ignore" other parts of our field of view so those things don't really need the 'framerate'. In short, anything more than 60fps and you're definitely getting a smoother image, but your ability to detect that improvement is severely hampered by the other parts of your brain doing other things like trying to score, or like me, trying to tackle Neymar just to hurt him for fun to watch him suffer. :)

Tiny add-on to this... 4K or anything higher is absolutely pointless unless you sit at a close enough distance to actually verify the quality difference at which distance you'd need to be so close in most residential settings that you couldn't see the whole screen. Don't confuse "mastering" at 4K, with "displaying" at 4K which are two vastly vastly different concepts. And just to give a little weight to my arguments about optics, resolution and image processing, I'm an independent filmmaker who has spent the last 20 years working on everything from 16mm film to 2K video productions, editing, and camera work. These are simply laws of physics and biology I'm talking about, not concepts I'm inventing. :)

I'd love to know where this obsession with trying to get the highest frame rate possible comes from when most game games aren't made to display optimally at anything higher than 60. That doesn't mean they were meant to ONLY look good at 60, but most developers don't think that far ahead for reasons related to typical user computer specs, etc. But also, if your monitor isn't capable of refresh rates higher than 60, nothing you set to display at higher than 60 is gonna work. It's like sending a 2-channel stereo signal to 5 speakers and turning on Surround Sound: it may sound very 3-dimensional and you could swear that you're hearing 5 channels, but that is NOT 5.1. All you've done is amplified the 2-channel signal so the surround separation is more noticeable. Plus, frame rate isn't the be-all-to-end-all of image quality. Your eyes can reasonably, scientifically recognise about 150 frames per second before it becomes like trying to tell the difference between a lossless compressed and an uncompressed audio file.
Also -- last thing, I promise -- your eyes don't look at a moving image like a camera sensor or scanner that tracks it all at once or in even pieces. Objects in your periphery don't egt as much attention as things you choose to focus in on. So that player approaching a defenseman is something you can catch much more movement from. A genetic relic of our hunting days when we needed to do more than go to the butcher shop to get meat. But our eyes "ignore" other parts of our field of view so those things don't really need the 'framerate'. In short, anything more than 60fps and you're definitely getting a smoother image, but your ability to detect that improvement is severely hampered by the other parts of your brain doing other things like trying to score, or like me, trying to tackle Neymar just to hurt him for fun to watch him suffer. :)

Tiny add-on to this... 4K or anything higher is absolutely pointless unless you sit at a close enough distance to actually verify the quality difference at which distance you'd need to be so close in most residential settings that you couldn't see the whole screen. Don't confuse "mastering" at 4K, with "displaying" at 4K which are two vastly vastly different concepts. And just to give a little weight to my arguments about optics, resolution and image processing, I'm an independent filmmaker who has spent the last 20 years working on everything from 16mm film to 2K video productions, editing, and camera work. These are simply laws of physics and biology I'm talking about, not concepts I'm inventing. :)
It's the other way around, most games support more than 60fps nowadays. There are lots of people with 144hz monitors. Apart from that, a Retina display obviously looks better even when you sit 1m away from it.

It's the...
REtina displays are about ppi not frame rate or refresh rate. Completely different conversation. And as far as fps goes, I have many contacts and colleagues in the display manufacturing world and the industry standard is still 60 for gaming and home cinema. That several games support higher has nothing to do with what the industry of panel makers makes available on a consumer and not prosumer level. But your point is still valid because in the gaming community many of us who aren't prosumer goods buyers in any other facet of our lives, do shop from places that sell more professional gear for our gaming needs than most people would ever think of buying. It's a changing market right now that I predict will stop developing at a certain point very soon.
The ideal would be some crazy sci-fi display that can actually be connected to your eyeball wirelessly to make sure that whenever you direct your gaze at a part of the screen that specific place would increase instantly to the highest possible resolution. But I think we're a few dev cycles away from that still :)

Last edited:
REtina displays are about ppi not frame rate or refresh rate. Completely different conversation. And as far as fps goes, I have many contacts and colleagues in the display manufacturing world and the industry standard is still 60 for gaming and home cinema. That several games support higher has nothing to do with what the industry of panel makers makes available on a consumer and not prosumer level.
Yes, better ppi is the reason why people buy 4k monitors for gaming. Obviously there's no point in using a 4k TV and then sitting 4m away from it.

About 144hz, it doesn't matter what the industry standard is, only the worst console ports are still capped to 60fps these days.

do any of you have issues playing 1v1 games online or PES League?

I can rarely find an opponent if I try to play 1v1 or PES League, but if I do a clan game 3v3 (often me and 2 CPU controlled players) I have no trouble finding an opponent.

Any ideas why this could be?

I haven't touched a PES game since 2010 and I have to ask what has happened to the "Game Plan" department of the game, the tactics are so linear. The older PES games you could chose a formation, modify the positions, chose how you want them to run when attacking. Now it's just crappy pre-sets with just counter or possession play..

Am I missing something? Why did older PES games have a deeper tactical side?

This has been one of the big problems in recent years. PES 2010 was perhaps the pinnacle for tactics.

Nowadays there are no "in-between" options: you either play short passes or long passes, counter or possession, out wide or centre... no individual instructions or specific team tactics (like switch side for wingers). Probably the thing I dislike the most about modern games is how SMFs and WGs end up in the centre no matter what (even if the player doesn't have the prolific winger playstyle) and how CFs make diagonal outward runs no matter what. Whatever happened to the Centre and Side abilities? Why can't a player be a Target Man, Fox in the box and Hole Player at the same time? This is what made past PES great and unique.

I'd love to know where this obsession with trying to get the highest frame rate possible comes from when most game games aren't made to display optimally at anything higher than 60.
I thought that eyes are adjusted for 30 to 40 something fps - I never understood that fps thing too. Many years ago I never had probs to 360 scope other players in FPS games, but that is a different story :D

Back
Top Bottom