PES 2018 PlayStation & Xbox Discussion Thread

Since you brought this subject, yesturday I was watching some videos on youtube then I ended watching a funny video about some pro Fifa player rage quiting on a tornament. So, I dont have Fifa, long time didnt see a gameplay video of that game and you know what? Fifa looks arcade to me. It way too frenatic. Animations are too fast. Its all instantaneous. Theres no momentum between the input, the motion of the player and the ball contact. It looks choppy and ultra fast IMO. Dont know how to explain. How fifa players call that a sim? Again, IMO, today comparing PES with Fifa its like comparing Nba 2k with NBA Live.

To me konami is on the right track again. Perhaps we should be more careful with our feeds so they dont screw this up.

I totally agree with this. I bought FIFA in a PSN sale for £15 a couple of months back and couldn't get into it.

I bought a PS4 pro last week and wanted to give it another chance given all the reviews talk about how stunning it is to look at...I don't even agree with that.

I've flip flopped between PES and FIFA the past few years but I think fundamentally, FIFA is horrible to play. Shooting is great, presentation and atmosphere is amazing but players feel so light, the gliding is really obvious compared with PES and it really does feel "gamey". I know that's an odd thing given the problems with PES and because, well, it IS a game but it FEELS off. PES feels good but let's itself down with what you see imo. The foundation is incredibly strong in terms of core gameplay.

FIFA seems to have regressed from 16 which was a very very good game. PES has improved a lot but still has so much to work on. Having said that, improving aesthetics (presentation, backheels), shooting and AI would transform the game.

Finally, something I've noticed playing manual without power bars this week. First touch error in PES is brilliantly done, the issue is actually with pass accuracy. When players stretch for the ball or its hit to hard etc, their touch is often heavy or loose, especially with worse players. It's fairly subtle but allows the CPU to make a challenge or rush the pass etc. The issue is it never happens on anything other than manual because passes are laser guided to feet, passes which 99 times out of 100 pros do control instinctively.

so i know i said i went to superstar with PA 1 and advanced, tried it on a mode other that exhibition (cup) and just didnt enjoy it. So i started a new italian league as Torino - professional level full manual with advanced through ball. My second game in and it was probably the pest PES game ive had in years. I beat bolangne 5-2 but my goals were varied. One header, one long shot from outside the area, one that went through the keepers legs, off the post and in and my last one a freekick on edge of box bent into near post top corner.

So, after around 9 months with PES 2018 I can say with confidence that this version is the best ONLINE football experience ever for me. The games I have in Divisions when playing manual are varied, hard fought, there is no "go to- goals" and most of all; it's FUN. There are stuff that are frustrating but that's in all games.

If they work on shooting trajectories and make shooting/passing animations more varied along with more Player and Team- ID/Individuality PES 2019 will be fantastic, for me at least. :)

So, after around 9 months with PES 2018 I can say with confidence that this version is the best ONLINE football experience ever for me. The games I have in Divisions when playing manual are varied, hard fought, there is no "go to- goals" and most of all; it's FUN. There are stuff that are frustrating but that's in all games.

If they work on shooting trajectories and make shooting/passing animations more varied along with more Player and Team- ID/Individuality PES 2019 will be fantastic, for me at least. :)

Yeah it's been a long time since I played online where it felt like the player who thinks more, wins. Previously button smashing of some form gets advantage. Still do now, but less. This year in 18 you can play nuanced and out-think your opponents.

It's a good game online,just like fifa 18.
Online sports are really good this year

Started a new league with Liverpool. Man, this team is so underrated. Midfield have no dribbling skills and this team have no bench. Lost three and win only one match. Its gonna take a lot of work to put this team o tracks. Superstar always.

Speaking of difficulty levels. I only have fun playing on Superstar. On other levels the game is boring. Its a shame that the gap between top player and Superstar is huge and the scripted goals are ridiculous but this is the way to play this game for me. Losing is part of the sport.

No little boy, Last time I bought that shower of crap was World Cup 98.

So You think anyone buying PES is a mug, You sit in the FIFA thread,You clearly dislike both games, and to round off Your level of maturity when asked a reasonable question You address me as little boy.

Top player fully manual passing & basic shooting is the sweet spot for me, though the shooting really needs to be overhauled, and indeed have way more variety

Those are my preferred options as well, and the shooting does need more variety, I use that R2 button probably a bit too much, just to try to shake things up.

Exhibition match
.man u v stoke top player ..lakarku on the ball in the box wide right , cuts inside defender.. defender sticks leg out. .i press dive buttons....penalty !! Don't believe it..and I smashed it in top corner

Bumped up my ML to TP (still manual) besides some of the bs,I think it's alright,got caught sleeping on a freekick in the 93rd minute, which meant a loss Vs Spal,I changed tactics from 4-4-2 to 3-5-2 and didn't set marking on that tactics.
Bummer,but I'm having a great deal of fun right now

Exhibition match
.man u v stoke top player ..lakarku on the ball in the box wide right , cuts inside defender.. defender sticks leg out. .i press dive buttons....penalty !! Don't believe it..and I smashed it in top corner

I get it!
Maybe we got it all wrong and by just diving in the field at the right time we would get tons of fouls.. this being a subtle, deep and sophisticated philosophical critic of Konami to a generation of diving footballers!?

.. or maybe not after all..

I doubt Konami meant this at all and it's only worked once for me. The tutorial on YouTube how to win fouls diving is pretty good and I think it's more the players don't fall over enough on contact. I only actually saw the foul and out stretched leg on replay it happened so fast but you could clearly see outstretched leg and i must of timed it right on accident. Just wish I had saved it

Bumped up my ML to TP (still manual) besides some of the bs,I think it's alright,got caught sleeping on a freekick in the 93rd minute, which meant a loss Vs Spal,I changed tactics from 4-4-2 to 3-5-2 and didn't set marking on that tactics.
Bummer,but I'm having a great deal of fun right now

Even I followed your hint of trying league mode (made only two games so far which I really enjoyed), I also think that the level of bullshit games in ML has been turned down with the latest patches.
At least, I feel that way.

The last ML games have been very joyful and I really can say that I had situations I haven´t seen before.

Not the first time that a PES release gets finally patched positively in the final period of time before the next release comes.
Why do they always need so much time?

Even I followed your hint of trying league mode (made only two games so far which I really enjoyed), I also think that the level of bullshit games in ML has been turned down with the latest patches.

The last ML games have been very joyful and I really can say that I had situations I haven´t seen before.

Not the first time that a PES release gets finally patched positively in the final period of time before the next release comes.

So it seems the scripting is now less so in ML?

So it seems the scripting is now less so in ML?

Well, the only thing I can say is, that I had more ML games that pissed me off before the patch.

That wasn´t the case with the ML games after the latest patch.

This could be coincidence though...you always gotta be careful with those patches, since KONAMI never adresses any gameplay changes.

But I have the feeling, that something little has been done in the right direction.

Best is to try for yourself :)

Strange right?
I couldn't play this game a few months back,now I'm enjoying it a great deal.
Remember 16 had a similar evolution.
I'm glad it's playable,and I'm liking it.
Even ML is fun

I didn't play this for a very long time,so my ML team (Torino) wasn't really set up right.
So my first few games back playing it, everything played very strange,CPU played through me way to easy.
Now with a solid setup,marking/advanced defensive instructions it's playing so much better
Wonder how many players just plays the game without paying attention to details in their own tactics,gets destroyed and then blame the game?

I also confirm that depsite the flaws we posted all year after the last patch it seems more playable for me. As i finished fixing my option file and started a new ML on TopPlayer/Classic Mode/Pass-Assist-1. Until now i run a 10W-0D-1L. It is not the wins that satisfy me,i wish i had more losses but the two facts that impressed me is : The only script busted match was the one i played when i was ready ti achieve 5 consecutive wins and the El Presidente gave me the message to go for the 5wins record, and the second scirpted match is the one im playing just now with the last team of the League table where i had also 4 consecutive wins and i was supposed to go for the 5win, where wierd things happen too.
The other good sign is that after i signed some "SMART player" and "PLAYMAKER" team role players, Totti included and i assigned him as Captain, my team spirit hit 90+, so my team started rolling much better in the field. Even my Mbappe started running again, he was stuck in mud in every game since the begining of the pes2018 season!
The only setting i am afraid to try is jumping on SuperStar or change from Classic to Chalenge mode . After all these experiments this years im so tired of trying new settings. :)

@Madmac79 my friend, as you asked me in the other topic about 18ML after update, now that i have more matches, this post is also for you. It has the flaws it had all this season, but it seems a little bit more natural now. I'll go the whole season to check for better conclusions if it is a temporary placebo or is a normal situtation now.

I also confirm that depsite the flaws we posted all year after the last patch it seems more playable for me. As i finished fixing my option file and started a new ML on TopPlayer/Classic Mode/Pass-Assist-1. Until now i run a 10W-0D-1L. It is not the wins that satisfy me,i wish i had more losses but the two facts that impressed me is : The only script busted match was the one i played when i was ready ti achieve 5 consecutive wins and the El Presidente gave me the message to go for the 5wins record, and the second scirpted match is the one im playing just now with the last team of the League table where i had also 4 consecutive wins and i was supposed to go for the 5win, where wierd things happen too.
The other good sign is that after i signed some "SMART player" and "PLAYMAKER" team role players, Totti included and i assigned him as Captain, my team spirit hit 90+, so my team started rolling much better in the field. Even my Mbappe started running again, he was stuck in mud in every game since the begining of the pes2018 season!
The only setting i am afraid to try is jumping on SuperStar or change from Classic to Chalenge mode . After all these experiments this years im so tired of trying new settings. :)

@Madmac79 my friend, as you asked me in the other topic about 18ML after update, now that i have more matches, this post is also for you. It has the flaws it had all this season, but it seems a little bit more natural now. I'll go the whole season to check for better conclusions if it is a temporary placebo or is a normal situtation now.

Thank you Slam for the update, I'm glad you are enjoing it better now. I'm personally not driven enough to start another big try on 2018 (too many flaws in some fundamentals for me, plus I'm too hooked on the retro Pes train for now) but I'm sure too after last patch situation was better. As others said above, I wonder why they wait it out so long? I think that despite the other ample problems of this game, having a less frustrating CPU as it seems it is now would have made a big difference for a lot of people.

... I wonder why they wait it out so long? I think that despite the other ample problems of this game, having a less frustrating CPU as it seems it is now would have made a big difference for a lot of people....

Maybe now that MyClub season ended ,they said: "Let's let them play some offline now!" :P

Strange right?
I couldn't play this game a few months back,now I'm enjoying it a great deal.
Remember 16 had a similar evolution.
I'm glad it's playable,and I'm liking it.
Even ML is fun

I didn't play this for a very long time,so my ML team (Torino) wasn't really set up right.
So my first few games back playing it, everything played very strange,CPU played through me way to easy.
Now with a solid setup,marking/advanced defensive instructions it's playing so much better
Wonder how many players just plays the game without paying attention to details in their own tactics,gets destroyed and then blame the game?

Yup and 2014 had it too.
After all the complaining how unplayable it was, in the end it became quite a decent game after the patches and fixes, but probably lost attention already.

I also confirm that depsite the flaws we posted all year after the last patch it seems more playable for me.

Well, I´m glad this is not only me feeling that way :).

Funny. I had the same problem with Mbappe in the beginning. Since I have Ballack (well, I imagine it´s Ballack´s son :P) in the midfield and granted Che Adams more playtime as the second striker next to Mbappe, he plays a lot better.

Last edited:
Funny to read the above posts (along the lines of "I like the game all of a sudden") - I was on holiday last week so updated PES, packed up the PlayStation and downloaded the last PESUniverse update (fixing all of the fake players myself, seeing as they left a load of 90+ rated imaginary people in the "free agents" pool).

Took me 2-3 hours to get it all ready and after two games as an English Championship side where both sides had 90% pass accuracy, where every single pass was perfect (even when a player was falling over) and the AI performed no build-up play whatsoever, I was pretty disgusted. :D

(As an aside, I used all my mobile phone data to download the FIFA World Cup update while I was away, and that's just as terrible. Funnily enough, a lot of my issues with it are the same I have with PES - the big one being the AI.)

With the flow of the game you can feel the potential to produce something special - but then you could feel the potential in 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013... and I don't feel like we ever "got there" (to a really great game, only this game we're putting up with, almost).

That licenses are so important (they just are) and yet we still have a situation where the most basic tools have Commodore 64 level restrictions (forget a stadium building tool, we can't even get a fucking delete button to remove fake players, we have to transfer them to unused teams and even then THERE AREN'T ENOUGH TEAMS TO PUT THEM IN)...

This is why people get so angry about things. Yes, it's just a game - yes, it's a fun game - but when there are 3,602 ludicrously basic things that could be implemented, that we've been asking about for over 20 years... Think of the power of the current gen of consoles, and we're having to spend hours / days / weeks editing fake players into real players (not already in the game) so that we don't end up with a Master League season where some free transfer called EQUIZLAXIS is top scorer and John Terry (aged 18 because he's just regenerated) the top defender - and then once we've done that, we can't share it as an option file, because you can't export free agents.

The whole thing is crazy.

Funny to read the above posts (along the lines of "I like the game all of a sudden") - I was on holiday last week so updated PES, packed up the PlayStation and downloaded the last PESUniverse update....

Yeah that's why i told, little bit better experience but main flaws still in game.
As for the limitations i totally-totally-totally agree with you. Couldn't agree more. This year i reached many limits of game with my creativity.Have problems with the stupid limits for images,with the League number,want more than ever some more "PES LEAGUEs", problem with the 32 sized squads, problem with the number of the teams as i like to assign some free agents to irellevant teams, for example good players that play in Belgian teams not in game, i assign them to Anderlecht and Brugge but this year and with the free agent pool still in game, which is pretty good, i have almost registerd every team roster with 32 players so i need hardly more teams or more space roster.
It took you 2-3 hours. It took me 2-3 days as i tried to fix even Brazilian League which is pretty hard ,with all these semi-licensed players or duplicates that created after the DLCs on players that used to be licensed in first day of release.
Imagine having some brazilian players only named "GABRIEL" without nicknames and so and i must make detective researches to find who he is and where does he play for.So me being in a situation edit mode->new ML to do database check->pesmaster/transfermarkt/wikipedia/other football database-sites>edit mode back again and forward and back for. Simply if there was a SEARCH BUTTON in 'player edit' section in EDIT mode, things could be much easier.

Why funny?
Above posts came from users (including me) that never bashed the game down no matter what, but pointed out flaws and still could get some enjoyment out of it by using different settings or playing specific mods.

And now after the latest patch - at least to me, as a casual player - I can sit back and enjoy and am able to overlook the negative things ;)

my main issue with 18,that wasn’t an issue (or at least smaller) is the pass percentage mentioned by vacation boy @Chris Davies in 17,and certainly not in 15.
Playing manual on 15 the cpu has a percentage of 65-80%
It’s ok on 17;when you play manual,that makes the cpu slow down their pinging as well,unless it’s a predestined win for them

On 18,cpu has a higher percentage when your on manual,simply because your players aren’t as responsive/hold their positions as well as if you play PA yourself.
It’s my first Pes game where it feels that you need PA to be able to out smart the cpu.
I’m around 80% and the cpu 85 while playing 20 min TP,I’m alright with that,but if I play manual I probably have 60-65 % vs the cpus 90,which is horrible.
Same thing with Fifa 16-17-18
If I see the cpu under 85 % then it’s a good day.

I think that’s were the real issue lays,if the cpu were around 70-80 % we wouldn’t see all crazy attack combos pinging through us.
And the no build up play,I see plenty when I have most teams set to short pass,more than before anyway
I’m ok with this game right now,especially getting my players to shine in certain situations,which I don’t really see in Fifa right now.
Not perfect,but right now,I’m ok with it.

I think by just turning on your console and see how it’s portrayed and what features the Xbox and the PS4 has,it’s quite easy to figure out how the offline play is dying,it’s all about being and showing stuff online.
Who cares about your nice defending offline when you can rainbow flick goals on YouTube or on your feed.
We’re dead boys

Almost finished my first ML season,and if I had edited team tactics better,I'd start season two,but I've seen way to many teams in Serie B with long ball tactics.

I know that we who like this game now probably is looked upon with a bit of scepticism,but I've had a real good season,my last 15 games or so have been played recent weeks,first half,last year...

Like the individuality in players both CPU and human controlled ones.
This game took it's time,but it's grown on me and I'm liking most parts of it.
Game winner Vs Fiorentina,nothing special,but the pace and the flow is sublime

Back
Top Bottom