PES 2018 PlayStation & Xbox Discussion Thread

I really like league mode and cup mode. As said before I just wish I could win the odd penalty to make it exciting. Not sure why it's impossible

Haven't played 18 enough (half a season of ML and half season of league) no pen yet either.
Got one on 17 the other day,had no clue how to take it.
But I'm getting an "ok"amount of freekicks though
But pens,yes needs to be some

Since we wont have CL, im playing CL mode now as Liverpool on the following settings:

- Professional dificulty
- 20min
- -1 speed
- full manual

I have to say I am having fun with this game now. No super exciting match so far that makes your palms sweat, but its been enjoyable.

In the first match I scored a goal that felt too easy, boring, but since then the game got better and the AI has been putting a decent but fair challenging.

They could still be a bit more aggressive tho defensively, specialy when they are loosing, but its good to see the Ai on my half, making a bit more risky passing the ball on my defence

The attacking cpu AI has been more vaired and more threatening in good way. Sure they still make those long ball to the wings, but not so often. They also try gorunded, direct passes on my box and on professional I dont feel cheated on these moments, I feel full control of my defenders and I can properly move them in the right to block shots.

I also feel like 20min or above does impact the gameplay positively. From ball physics to animations, proper players reactions, everything flows pretty good and under controll.

A bit on stats for you guys after playing Korea in the cup and their first 6 passes from kick off where all perfect backheels. I kid you not.

Also I'm so frustrated with never getting a penalty so I thought I'd try editing korea players.
I knocked low and high pass down to 40 for all which almost got rid of all backheels.
I tried to increase fouls by increasing strength stat to 99 for all. Didnt work . Then what i tried was knocking reflexes down to 40 for all defenders and midfield. This made a notable difference. When using the close dribble the defenders were all sticking feet out too late and I could easily beat 1 or 2 defenders. Knocking it up to 50 improved them a bit tackling. Seems some stats do matter. Just wondering if there's a magic number combination to make them over commit

Stats in Pes still count but when you play on Top Player, Superstar and Legend difficulty forget about that. It's all about script and cheating AI. This years difficulty levels balance is one of the worst ever.

Since we wont have CL, im playing CL mode now as Liverpool on the following settings:

- Professional dificulty
- 20min
- -1 speed
- full manual

I have to say I am having fun with this game now. No super exciting match so far that makes your palms sweat, but its been enjoyable.

In the first match I scored a goal that felt too easy, boring, but since then the game got better and the AI has been putting a decent but fair challenging.

They could still be a bit more aggressive tho defensively, specialy when they are loosing, but its good to see the Ai on my half, making a bit more risky passing the ball on my defence

The attacking cpu AI has been more vaired and more threatening in good way. Sure they still make those long ball to the wings, but not so often. They also try gorunded, direct passes on my box and on professional I dont feel cheated on these moments, I feel full control of my defenders and I can properly move them in the right to block shots.

I also feel like 20min or above does impact the gameplay positively. From ball physics to animations, proper players reactions, everything flows pretty good and under controll.

These are the settings I use too. Might do a world cup later and post some vids.

I feel like the shielding and fouls are more prevalent on 20 mins games

Stats in Pes still count but when you play on Top Player, Superstar and Legend difficulty forget about that. It's all about script and cheating AI. This years difficulty levels balance is one of the worst ever.
Well said. Some people are of the opinion that top player is still playable but to me it isn't. No stats = no sense

This year i tried to play Superstar in Master League, i couldn't, too scripted. Then i lowered to Top Player, still too scripted, with teams like Benevento or Serie B teams playing like top teams.

Before 1st DLC TopPlayer was ok. It was close to what professional is today.Superstar is unplayable since the beginning. (I'm talking about MasterLeague, to avoid any misunderstanding). After the updates TopPlayer seems to be 75% broken. Professional seems to be the only playable solution with reality portion, although it is non-challenging after some games if you don't play FUMA. What makes me wondering, is what was the point of "Legend" difficulty, since nobody seems to use it and Superstar keeps repeling people from playing offline.
I personally still playing in TopPlayer, pushing my self some times, more searching for some fun than receiving fun from the game. In previous PES, even the worst one, i remember playing with better flow a season in ML, sometimes clearing half season in 3~4 hours a day. Now i'm playing 2-3 matches per week and after this, i rest my self until i fill up my personal motivation gauge!

Last edited:
Another major flaw to me regarding PES now is the ball. It has no weight or physics whatsoever when it connects with the player. Once it gets to a player instantly glues to its feet and its ready to go on even on higher speed than its received with higher accuracy on a completely different trajectory. Very rare when there is a first touch error. It doesnt feel like a separate entity with its on physics with the player stats should deal with. Yes on basic.

Before 1st DLC TopPlayer was ok. It was close to what professional is today.Superstar is unplayable since the beginning. (I'm talking about MasterLeague, to avoid any misunderstanding). After the updates TopPlayer seems to be 75% broken. Professional seems to be the only playable solution with reality portion, although it is non-challenging after some games if you don't play FUMA. What makes me wondering, is what was the point of "Legend" difficulty, since nobody seems to use it and Superstar keeps repeling people from playing offline.
I personally still playing in TopPlayer, pushing my self some times, more searching for some fun than receiving fun from the game. In previous PES, even the worst one, i remember playing with better flow a season in ML, sometimes clearing half season in 3~4 hours a day. Now i'm playing 2-3 matches per week and after this, i rest my self until i fill up my personal motivation gauge!

Spot on Slam..

I tried a Master League on Legendary out of curiosity, once.. ridiculous stuff that would probably make happy some Korean pro gamer, but makes zero sense from a simulative point.

Top Player was a decent compromise to me since I don't like FUMA, but I found IA to still be repetitive/broken and plus cpu has problems with head shots in their own box.

Another major flaw to me regarding PES now is the ball. It has no weight or physics whatsoever when it connects with the player. Once it gets to a player instantly glues to its feet and its ready to go on even on higher speed than its received with higher accuracy on a completely different trajectory. Very rare when there is a first touch error. It doesnt feel like a separate entity with its on physics with the player stats should deal with. Yes on basic.

That's one of the worst problems of them all to me, this year. I would close an eye on fouls if at least we had decent, varied physical duels, but among other things this insufferable ball glued to players regardless of their attributes make most of the action clean, with predictable contrasts and a general dull feeling that I quickly grow bored of.

It's my biggest disappointment of the year, more than tactics and cpu, after 2017 reproduced the collisions and the clashes between players with such enjoyable randomness and variety.. I would have never tought to see such a step backwards.

Absolutely sailed through the group stages, expecting the difficulty to be ramped up in the knockouts as always.

Couple of vids from the groups, nothing very interesting but playing manual without any name plate or power bar as someone recommended, really enjoying it. No game 2 highlights apart from the young free kick, it's was a battering.

Ok gotcha.

Yeah I agree. I had the same understanding of it, wrote a bit about it previously, when I was trying to expand super cancel usuages:

https://www.evo-web.co.uk/threads/p...discussion-thread.77510/page-280#post-3243351

https://www.evo-web.co.uk/threads/p...discussion-thread.77510/page-317#post-3251993

https://www.evo-web.co.uk/threads/p...discussion-thread.77510/page-289#post-3245932

https://www.evo-web.co.uk/threads/p...discussion-thread.77510/page-289#post-3245838

PES16-17 was a lot worse in this aspect. Game was purely built on 3 rails

- pass path
- automatic player "walk to the pass" path (<-- this is the guy in possession)
- automatic defender "walk to meet the pass receiver" path (<-- this is the guy out of possession)

Had to use super cancel like a madman to get freedom from these restrictions from the way the game was designed.

For me, 18 has a lot more "grey areas", where the rails don't get triggered...well, at least in manual. It has that feeling of the ball neither for my player or the opponent player. And it's even better in 11v11, you can completely miss the guy you are aiming for. Since in 11v11 you aren't really passing to a COM player, there's no programming there to protect you.

I think I was calling this, the "snap" to player behavior, last year. It's still there this year, a little less. It was horrible on 17.

By the way...

If you check the video in the first link, look at the arrows I put into the video, pointing out the power bar. This is prove that the ball is never a free entity, always on someone's rails.

If the pass is to me, and I hold down super cancel, my player ignores the incoming ball...basically, I've cancelled my rail (the second type, listed above).

And then the system understands that, the ball now belongs to the next closest player (my opponent, in this case). That's why you see the power bar loaded up under him, even if I'm closest to the ball (because he's spamming pressure with X an [], and unknowingly, that X pressure has became his pass power now).

Basically, with super cancel, I've cloaked myself from the system.

And the system is built entirely on 3 rails. It needs to know these 3 things

- pass path
- path of ball receiver, walking to ball
- opponent defender walk to the location of where receiver will meet the ball

It needs to know 1, so that it can program 2, and then it can program 3.

That's how I understood it, and it killed my mood to see how restricted it all was. So I went crazy with super cancel.

But 18 I really don't feel it sucks as much in this regard.
Really interesting reading "snap to player" and super cancel,don't use super cancel,should do it obviously!
Somehow we should (pc modders) be able to edit out the snap to player code?
Anyway, interesting read

My league mode on 18 is really fun,bit lifeless and strange at times game play wise
TP 20 Min.
By strange i mean cpu can be sharp when attacking (no bullshit though) which they should,but very lame at times when defending.

Like I've written before I also play ML on 15 (good) and 17 (good but very on rails) and also started playing pes2014 which is really good,despite horrible loading times and a boring ML layout.

I clearly think a lot of things get better and better with every new Pes game,to bad it's not the gameplay improving each year though,even if my League mode is very enjoyable on 18,I can't play ML on it.

Like I've written before I also play ML on 15 (good) and 17 (good but very on rails) and also started playing pes2014 which is really good,despite horrible loading times and a boring ML layout.

I cl.
Seems we are doing parallel jobs Rockstrongo. After my 17 and 15 replays of the modern era i started also some ML in pes 2014 which i found recently. It was the only pes that i completely missed in the series and played only a match that year (2014) on a friend's console.So it was always a big mystery for me, having read so much conflicting reviews about it , positive or negative.So after a month of suffering to set up the game manually with the appropriate updates,dlcs,patches and more,since the most links for pes 14 community patches are dead today,i managed last week to play the 1,13 version with default data and yesterday to install pte patch, to fix the esthetics emblems/kits and use the last version 1,16 with dlc 07.
As i played only few matches i dont have a complete opinion.Until now seems decent with good taste, has really some physics/mechanics pretty unique,never seen them before in the 11-13 era,neither later in 15-18.The only big issue i spotted until now is my AI controlled teamates do the worst off-the ball movements and positioning decisions.Sometimes i feel so lonely when attacking like i don't have any teamates.
It somehow reminds me pes 2018 , beautifull to watch it, weird to play it. Also in the 1.16 version i updated now is obvious that they (konami) did some tweaks and everybody turns and sidesteps like Flash which is awkward cause of the basis good physics and produces a clanky robotic animation, when in the 1,13 it was more natural and had better flow. Even in the 1.01 version where it had all the early bags that made 2014 unplayable for the majority of pes community, seems that turning with the ball is more fluid than the last version (1,16).
Finally untill now i find it playble , even 4 years after its original release.

Last edited:
It's a strange game Slamzoze,I have exactly the same entry to this game as you,I didn't buy it for the Xbox 360 since I read a few things on it (no rain for instance) and I played a lot of Pes 13 still,then I started playing a bit more fifa to,so yesterday was my first ML game ever.
Don't know which version I'm playing either,guess it's the 1,07 (I'm on PS3) but I'm not sure,also I absolutely hate my ps3,only bought it so I can get older games ,I'm an Xbox one player on all other games.

I like this game,some strange positions at times, animations being very weird compared to newer games,but I'd say it's a solid game in the game play department.
I've also bought 11/12/13 recent year,and it's much more modern Vs them.

I think my experience going back to older games now,and not live on the past with older games is good,i appreciate Pes 18 more when I've played 15/16/17 and now 14 simultaneously as 18,but it also makes me a bit pissed off on 18 and the strange gameplay on ML,which I find very frustrating, league mode etc is quite alright,ML messed up.

Think I'm gonna give Pes 2014 a proper chance.
Are you on console or pc when playing it?

....Think I'm gonna give Pes 2014 a proper chance.
Are you on console or pc when playing it?
I am on PC.I dont have older consoles but im thinking to buy some when i find time and money cause i love retro gaming.
My current status is : pes 3/4/5/6/we9le/2010/2011/12/13/14/15/16 on PC ( bold letters ,those i play these days).
PES 17/18 : ps4pro
Pes 2008 (ps2 ver. The lost video game as the respective topic says) : pc emulator* cause i lent my ps2 to a friend years before, he moved to a new apartment with his new girlfriend, then they broke up,moved to sepetate houses again and my ps2 is MIA since then :(

I am on PC.I dont have older consoles but im thinking to buy some when i find time and money cause i love retro gaming.
My current status is : pes 3/4/5/6/we9le/2010/2011/12/13/14/15/16 on PC ( bold letters ,those i play these days).
PES 17/18 : ps4pro
Pes 2008 (ps2 ver. The lost video game as the respective topic says) : pc emulator* cause i lent my ps2 to a friend years before, he moved to a new apartment with his new girlfriend, then they broke up,moved to sepetate houses again and my ps2 is MIA since then :(
Ha ha,yeah I feel you bro,my PS2 went missing after I separated with an ex.
Played iss and Pes 3/4/5/6 on pc,my Pes 6 gaming was serious,played it up until pes 2011 came out,I had Pes 6 on ps 2 as well.
Then I bought Xbox 360,Pes 13 was my first console game,even bought a copy of Pes 2009 for €2,horrible game.
Now I have 10/11/12/13/14 on ps3 (bought it for €50) and also 15/16/17/18 on Xbox one
My favourite pes games on console lately is 17-15-18 and now 14,16 is a mess

Played a EL game on my ML save with Torino,and I understand what people mean when they say it's a different game when playing it.
It's been the case for s few PES games,but never seen it so clear as in 18.
I felt like I was playing Pes 17,pretty much the same gameplay,a lot of "almost" (reaching a pass/getting a rebound) and tons of catching up,haven't seen it that frequently outside the EL/CL before

Ha ha,yeah I feel you bro,my PS2 went ....... now 14,16 is a mess
We had similar beginning and similar ending.I started with iss/pes in snes,N64 and psx/ps2 .In pc i went from fifa98,99,2000 to Iss3 KCEO and then PEs 3 until 2016. Technically in someway i skipped 2008-2010 as i played PES 6 mainly that years and during 11-13 era i played simultaneously each year's pes with pes 6
The fact is that i played all these pes games with keybord as i found it the best way to unleash my full potential. On pes 2015 i bought an Xbox360 gamepad for windows as i find the xbox controllers the most ergonomicall.Only ps4 dualshock seems to fit good for my hand,after xbox pad.
For pes 2016 i agree with you.Although that year i abandoned 15 for 16 and had more hours,for a reason i cant explain even today, nowadays 2016 pc has 0 replayability value for me.I replay pes 2015 easily although. Generally pes 2008,2009,2012,2016 (all for pc) are the games i will not play again for main reasons of gameplay and last comes pes4,although i loved it in the past now i find it too over arcady between it and pes3-pes5.
Pes2018 at last is the pes that i gave the most second chances in pes history . I just hope it will be a little bit replayable some years after in the future.

Last edited:
My second chance with Pes 2018 is really good,never thought I like it again,even having fun games on my ML right now.
Key for me is finding the right gamespeed /difficulty
Professional and manual passing seems to be alright for ML
TP and pass assist 1 for league.
Played some more Pes 2014,I feel it's a bit unresponsive,then again the PS3 controller is a nightmare,but I feel it's laggy

The bad effect of getting used to 2018 is that in 14 and even 15 i concede as much fouls in a match as a whole ML season in 18.As fot penaltys my summary is / pes14: 1 in the first month,pes15: 2 until December 2014 , pes17: about 1~2 per season, pes18: 1 in 9 full seasons!!! (The level is superstar in everything else except for 18 which is 6 seasons Supahstar 3 seasons TopPlayer)

Last edited:
Played 5 ML games the past two days (trying to finish my first season with Torino)
First three were really good,last two unbelievably poor.
Things I experience in ML,never happens in league mode.

Like distance between me and the CPU,they can just ping there way through me

The weird feinting,when they wobble with the ball like a mogul skier.

My manual passing dropping from 70-75% to 50-60%
For no reason other than CPU needs me to play bad

The poor touches inside the box or when creating a chance,it's impossible to score,they/me just lose the ball.

I really think this is the worst installment of PES when it comes to play master league,funny/ironical/upsetting thing is it's working/playing very well in league mode,which is so disrespectful from Konami to release such a poor product.

Not here to bring down your ML's,if you enjoy em,great,just not for me being forced to sim games because you know they're unplayable.

Played a few ML on my 17 right after,first game was a 1-1 draw Vs Chievo (Milan) that game had 3 shooting freekicks,a straight red card and two injuries.
Why did they abandoned that gameplay blows my mind

Ok here is today's story. I know it has been retold many times but really the Exhibition mode plays so much better than Master League, that tempted me to do this post. Ok the main flaws of the game are still present, but the frequency of gameplay's bad aspects is reduced dramatically and with less annoying script you can even see some stats coming true on the field.
So as i was fixing my Option File today, after the last DLC "hurricane" that reverted most things in database, i decided to go on a match to check my edits as the old times. I went Guinea (me) VS Burkina-Faso(COM) in the VERSUS mode cause i also wante d to unlock some PS trophies. The game was 10 minutes, superstar.I got 1-1,but win was not the purpose of match.Even some momentum attacks from COM in the last minutes didn't annoy me at all. It went so good, compared to the bad Master League game pace, i really wish ML could be something like Exhibition. To give you examples, I even outrunned some opponent defenders with my WFs when in ML with Mbappe i can't run faster than the referee! There was a nice slow build up, i earned 2 free kicks from fouls, i can't remember the last time i earned 2 fouls in ML! The sad fact was i wanted to listen to Guinea's and Burkina-Faso anthems before kick-off, but it seems they don't exist in game as they are unlicensed national teams.National anthems before these matches is very atmospheric and representive of real life matches. :(
Here are some screenshots:
From HALF-TIME
t5e3hPn.jpg

From FULL-TIME
DiqkwzB.jpg

FY8F0hM.jpg

And from the VSCOM record screen
FzPg2BJ.jpg

Back
Top Bottom