PES 2018 BETA Discussion Thread

I need to ask a silly little question to those who are playing it: Do players look smaller and pitch bigger, like Adam said a few months ago? Like they made it more similar to PES 2013?.
I don't see it personally.

I need to ask a silly little question to those who are playing it: Do players look smaller and pitch bigger, like Adam said a few months ago? Like they made it more similar to PES 2013?.

The whole Brazilian team look like a load of midgets running around.

Alright I'm done for today. I think it's fun but my last game made me see that there's still some big issues with it.

Basically, once two players know how to attack, the game can become an end-to-end score fest. It's impossible to defend properly once your opponent starts playing 1-2's within 30 yards from goal (which are way OP right now) as the attacking players passing and receiving 1-2's always react quicker than defenders. Defending zonally is out of the question because once you get within your box, you simply can't mark zonally. Defenders also don't stay tight enough to attackers in general.

It's a problem not reflected in ordinary passes where first touch is more of a factor. It's mitigated further by a ponderous switching system (like there's a half second delay) which can make a major difference as playing 1-2 passes means you don't even have to switch to the player you want to control whereas the other person does.

Also, there's definitely something in the game that makes it easier to score from kick off.

Playing a laggy game now and there's a 1 sec delay and this is on level 5. I want this game to finish.

I'm almost literally on my knees praying that this 'lag' some people are moaning about is a planned feature that Konami won't cave in and adjust. Contextual, stats-based button lag is an important PES trait. Responsiveness is a sickly-sweet FIFA trait that should never have become part of our lexicon in PESland. The pendulum has swung much too far the FIFA way and needs to come back now. (Or it might never.) Spirit of PES2014, hold the line...
it's not like 2017. it has some delay, maybe it's because the animations are so smooth and it's actually finishing the animation cycle before letting loose the pass or shoot. Better game than 2017.

I love how the feedback on this forum has changed from yesterday to today. For the better.
Love reading you, guys. And this isn't even close to the final thing, apparently. Can only imagine what a great year this will be.
it's true seeing youtube videos doesn't mean much because my full manual broadcast camera games that are lag free have been class! All that space in youtube videos i don't see in my camera angle. I will be shocked if this years reviews are lower than last years. And will really believe everybody is crazy if they are!:D

For the first time (for me) since since PES 5/6 defending is fun again and the game is no longer a tackle fest. It requires positioning more than anything, finally. I will say I am over playing 1v1 for now due to how most players constantly pressure all over the place leaving so much space making it too easy to beat them.

For the first time (for me) since since PES 5/6 defending is fun again and the game is no longer a tackle fest. It requires positioning more than anything, finally. I will say I am over playing 1v1 for now due to how most players constantly pressure all over the place leaving so much space making it too easy to beat them.

Yes, I can defend just fine If I have a good connection with a player. It just the button lag that makes it impossible to time tackles. I wish there was a shove/push button though.

Yeah auto defending is still there. Don't know why they make these games so easy to pick up and play.

You better off having the com defend then trying to do it yourself. It's weird and it's been like this for years.

This is part of the reason why I've been enjoying 10v10 team play so much. When every player on the field is human controlled, we have no choice but to do our own active defending. Not possible to be lazy and just select a player deep, letting COM do all the ball winning. You should come play with us sometime, you might enjoy it a lot

It's impossible to defend properly once your opponent starts playing 1-2's within 30 yards from goal (which are way OP right now) as the attacking players passing and receiving 1-2's always react quicker than defenders. Defending zonally is out of the question because once you get within your box, you simply can't mark zonally. Defenders also don't stay tight enough to attackers in general.
Yeah, I saw this last night. Absolutely brilliant point, and really important.

Pass accuracy seems to be linked to pass distance rather than anything else - in 2017 and in 2018 too.

In 2017, to generalise a little, there were no misplaced passes, only intercepted passes, and they were only intercepted when they had to cover beyond 30ft. 2018 seems to be largely (but not completely) the same - a 1-2 pass will never ever be misplaced, because the logic seems to be "short pass = simple pass = 100% success rate".

There isn't any other pass accuracy logic beyond that, I don't think (and even if a player's passing attribute is terrible, it seems that this encourages the pass to "snap" towards the opponent, as opposed to being ~6ft behind of / ahead of the target, for example).

The passer being under pressure, or having to hit the pass first-time, isn't a part of the calculation. It's why all the passes (and shots too) feel so unnaturally perfect, I think. It makes players feel like robots.

Yeah, I saw this last night. Absolutely brilliant point, and really important.

Pass accuracy seems to be linked to pass distance rather than anything else - in 2017 and in 2018 too.

In 2017, to generalise a little, there were no misplaced passes, only intercepted passes, and they were only intercepted when they had to cover beyond 30ft. 2018 seems to be largely (but not completely) the same - a 1-2 pass will never ever be misplaced, because the logic seems to be "short pass = simple pass = 100% success rate".

There isn't any other pass accuracy logic beyond that, I don't think (and even if a player's passing attribute is terrible, it seems that this encourages the pass to "snap" towards the opponent, as opposed to being ~6ft behind of / ahead of the target, for example).

The passer being under pressure, or having to hit the pass first-time, isn't a part of the calculation. It's why all the passes (and shots too) feel so unnaturally perfect, I think. It makes players feel like robots.

Ah yeah, that's a great addition that I hadn't considered at all. I'm going to keep an eye on this when I play again tomorrow. I must admit that I didn't take issue with passing until I started noticing how easy people were finding it to play 1-2's. It was only one guy who did it but it felt really easy for him to get behind my defenders. I felt kind of helpless.

Oh dear my Twitter feed is awash with people hating fhe defending part of the game. It seems we have been spoilt by holding down R1+X. Now that a defender ca get skinned alive if he commits to tackle and misses people are saying the defensive game is broken.

I hope Konami don't nerf it now and make it easier because of this.

Oh dear my Twitter feed is awash with people hating fhe defending part of the game. It seems we have been spoilt by holding down R1+X. Now that a defender ca get skinned alive if he commits to tackle and misses people are saying the defensive game is broken.

I hope Konami don't nerf it now and make it easier because of this.

Konami won't change it for the full game release. But they might just tone it down a little with future game updates.
The philosophy of PES 2018 will remain the same though. It's attacking-oriented on purpose. They wanted it like this. People will always complain anyways so I love the vision Konami had for PES 2018.

Well, I guess. From my experience at least.
I tried lvl4 and had 6 smooth matches. Like on lvl3 this morning.
Playing a laggy game now and there's a 1 sec delay and this is on level 5. I want this game to finish.
That sucks. Big time. My first match was like that. In between there was major stutter and some freeze for up to 4 sec too!
Well that last game left a sour taste. Off to bed. God damn lag ruins everything.
That's what I meant when we started this conversation.
I never played a lot online because it differs from the "snappyness" the offline version features.
But that was hours ago. All the matches today (about 15) were smooth (for online). Maybe a slight delay for the button commands overall.

I´d recommend to play it yourself whenever you get the chance. If you can´t play the beta now then wait for the demo.
If you´re on PC, well....meet a friend with a PS4/XBOX or something or be patient.

Everyone is individual and has different impressions. I totally can´t agree that it feels like FIFA and I don´t agree that it´s 100% PES 2017. It is similar but it feels very different.
As I said in my post, dribbling reminds me of PES 2011 and the base is very PES 2014 like, but better.
PES 2011 was my all time favourite and I was one of the few people who liked PES 2014.

Also...
I had different feelings from my first 6 - 7 games between the games I played a couple of hours later.
I´ll never understand the people who judge the game after one match only...
it can be close to pes 2011, but from what i saw in beta videos, the shooting is still overpowered and the ball is like a rocket on goal, there is no realism in the trajectory nor the time that the keeper makes his move, its simply too fast and not implemented well, shooting needs rework thats all i can say

Overall I am impressed that even with the resources EA have over Konami, PES 2018 is miles better in almost every department against FIFA 17 and perhaps FIFA 18(If it's similar to FIFA 17). The goal variety, the individuality, and the team id is so important for replayability and I wish EA understood that instead of always focusing online and have the most generic, boring, linear, cheaty AI as possible. Like everyone said, shooting needs some more work especially the ball physics on shooting and the animation. Passing needs a bit more error as well so that people can't ping-pong all the time. Defenders needs to feel more responsive when it comes to tackling and slide tackles and perhaps a push/shove button to be aggressive against pacey players. However really love the new dribbling system and how different each player feels. Finally a game gets that right!

Overall I am impressed that even with the resources EA have over Konami, PES 2018 is miles better in almost every department against FIFA 17 and perhaps FIFA 18(If it's similar to FIFA 17).

Not related to the beta itself, but I agree 100% mate.

Seriously people disconnect from an online beta when they are losing?!

Is it possible to create sort of like a group, when the full game is out, called Evo-Web?
Like Evo-Web-PC. Evo-Web-PS4. Evo-Web-XONE. And so on? So we can play against each other and only add people that won't quit and play a certain way?.

I properly feel better than assisted players while I'm using manual. I couldn't win for love nor money in PES 2017 myClub online, it was way too fast and way too hard to throw people's momentum off. Now, the more evenly balanced teams might be making a slight difference here, but I've just comfortably outplayed two assisted 'pingpong' types by getting behind the ball, timing my pressing and capitalising on the fact I can use passing lanes not usually available to assisted players.

Having said 'comfortably outplayed', the scores were 1-1 and 1-0 to me. But I only conceded because I was dealing with stuff in the real world too, so my defending went right out the window. In both games my finishing was pretty damn poor.

Game is very good..not a massive step up from 2017 imo but lots of subtle changes. I do like it's less predictable as in the ball doesn't feel as locked into players especially in the air. Ive seen it be misjudged and go over a defenders head.
Players stand out such as griezman; naymar etc. There are more battles and the ball is good how it can get away from you when dribbling .
Visuals are ok just more vibrant
Keepers are good but seen some annoying palm outs to the penalty spots

Some watchouts
Fouls still getting missed one was a red in my opinion
Some funny running animations with naymar..looked like skipping

Overall looks

Back
Top Bottom