PES 2017 PlayStation & Xbox Discussion Thread

PES 5/6 special ? Or just better than 2017?

Point of views...
To you only PES 5 and 6 were special. And you may never change your mind about that.
For me, those were great games. But PES 2017 is very special. I haven't stopped playing it since it came out the first day. I love it. Oh, and I'm 29 years old, so I've played pretty much every football game that's ever come out since 1990.

Still can't return to this game. Played around with more things, and there is still zero risk in passing the ball forward. There is no defensive 3rd whatsoever. I'm just bummed out because of this lack of a challenge currently.

Yeah, also tactical rigidness overrides most of player individuality. Great potential, but still not to the level of pes 5/6 at their time.

Point of views...
To you only PES 5 and 6 were special. And you may never change your mind about that.
For me, those were great games. But PES 2017 is very special. I haven't stopped playing it since it came out the first day. I love it. Oh, and I'm 29 years old, so I've played pretty much every football game that's ever come out since 1990.

When a game is still being played by a big community more than 10 years after the release, it is special no matter what. I doubt we would play pes 2017 in 10 years.

Last edited:
Yeah, also tactical rigidness overrides most of player individuality. Great potential, but still not to the level of pes 5/6 at their time.

When a game is still being played by a big community more than 10 years after the release, it is special no matter what. I doubt we would play pes 2017 in 10 years.

Pes 5 or 6 are revered as classics and now people are just looking at them with nostalgia glasses. That's why some people still play them. It's the same with old games that are objectively much worse than the current games but still played because many people have nostalgia of the old times spent playing those games during their childhood.

I tried playing Pes 5/6 many times during the last few years, when the actual Pes was much worse (about Pes 2014 time) but i just couldn't play them for more than one, two matches. Even more now that Pes 2017 is so much better, i had not once the urge to play them.

Pes 5 or 6 are revered as classics and now people are just looking at them with nostalgia glasses. That's why some people still play them. It's the same with old games that are objectively much worse than the current games but still played because many people have nostalgia of the old times spent playing those games during their childhood.

I tried playing Pes 5/6 many times during the last few years, when the actual Pes was much worse (about Pes 2014 time) but i just couldn't play them for more than one, two matches. Even more now that Pes 2017 is so much better, i had not once the urge to play them.

I could say the same about the people playing pes 2017/fifa 17, playing them because these are the newest game, so they assumed they are the best. I'm not saying everybody react like that, i'm just pointing out that your point is biased. I don't believe in this nostalgia thing. I play whatever brings me enjoyment, be it fifa, pes or mario football, be it 2017, 2005 or 1995, i don't care.

Objectively much worse ? Well, i guess everybody has their own criteria for a great football game, but for me objectively master league/stats system/player individuality/editing possibilities/stadiums/referees/goal diversity/ball physics are all better in pes 5/6. These are a lot of things, pes 2017 has not even got the fundamentals like ball physics right.
I'm 100% sure if konami would release a remastered pes5/6 edition, it would outsell easily pes 2017. It says a lot about the "objectively much worse". But that is your opinion, i respect it.

Im not familiar with Munir but his stamina (and perhaps form) should depend on the number of minutes he played in the recent season in my opinion.

thnks for asnwer, i'm agree about form, but not about stamina, a player that play few, ok, may hasn't 90 minutes on his legs, but i think a starting base from a default bench player should be at least 75, lower value is really unreal...

Higuain for example is a first team player but have another really low value in stamina, he usually play the whole season whithout stop... with that value (74) is not possible..

I don talk about Balotelli (68???????????????)

http://www.pesmaster.com/g-higuain/pes-2017/player/33633/

I think that 6200 players with less of 70 of stamina are too many...

Last edited:
I could say the same about the people playing pes 2017/fifa 17, playing them because these are the newest game, so they assumed they are the best.

If that were the case, all (or most) of us would say "this is the best PES/FIFA ever" year after year.
And truth to be told, you get less and less of that as time goes on. I remember vividly how this community reacted to PES 2008. And PES 2010. And PES 2013, 14, 15, 16 and 17. And believe me, it wasn't all fireworks.
I don't remember too much about PES 2009, 11 and 12 because I was busy playing FIFA. So I can tell you THAT side of the story too.

I think nostalgia does play a big role.
I can't take PES /6 seriously anymore. It's not a matter of year of release. I still had and played PES 2013 until a few months ago when I decided it was time to let go because I was loving 2017 so much. So, I don't "have a thing" for the newest versions of games. But I'm not obsessed with the old games either.

If that were the case, all (or most) of us would say "this is the best PES/FIFA ever" year after year.
And truth to be told, you get less and less of that as time goes on. I remember vividly how this community reacted to PES 2008. And PES 2010. And PES 2013, 14, 15, 16 and 17. And believe me, it wasn't all fireworks.
I don't remember too much about PES 2009, 11 and 12 because I was busy playing FIFA. So I can tell you THAT side of the story too.

I think nostalgia does play a big role.
I can't take PES /6 seriously anymore. It's not a matter of year of release. I still had and played PES 2013 until a few months ago when I decided it was time to let go because I was loving 2017 so much. So, I don't "have a thing" for the newest versions of games. But I'm not obsessed with the old games either.

I know about that. That's why i said that not everyone reacts like that. But i can find a lot of post praising older pes and fifa games, "calling them best game ever" at their release.

But i repeat, still playing pes 5/6 has nothing to do with nostalgia, at least for me and a lot of users of this forum. I've given objective pros of pes 5/6 compared to pes 2017. How can you tell i play these games because of nostalgia while pes 2017 is inferior on these important points ? It is like i should feel shame playing an older game. Those who defend pes 2017, only have this argument of "nostalgia". Pes 2017 feels really dull compared to these games, that is my opinion.

Nostalgia is hardly the reason for me. It's all about that in older versions they didn't have second agendas. There was no FUT, or online emphasis to compete, it was all about putting up a solid game of football. They stuck to the fundamentals, and didn't try to stray far from it. It still had positioning issues, but as a base, it was gold.

Even the most outrageously fantasy (terrible) type game of Adidas Superstar Soccer had the fundamentals down.

I am really loving this game. It may be that i am not as good as some on this forum as i still play on professional.

I still get beat by the CPU but then i also beat it. This is the only PES game since PES5 that i have completed a full season in ML (just 3 games to go).

I do still play PES5 with my brother but only because he cannot get used to the formation screens and using the stick rather than the dpad.

PES5 was and still is a classic but against the CPU it is too easy now. PES2017 to me is like a modern version of PES5. Player individuailty stands out, each game is different for example one will be totally end to end 3-3 and another will be 0-0 with maybe 4 shots each. But again it could be that i am not as good as some guys and i really have to work out how to break down the CPU's defense and i also have to concentrate when defending.

I can see myself playing this in a few years time if PES2018 and 2019 are rubbish but i hope they won't be.

I am so looking forward to starting my second season in the ML, hopefully i will get promotion if not i may move to a different club which is something PES5 does not offer.

I am really loving this game. It may be that i am not as good as some on this forum as i still play on professional.

I still get beat by the CPU but then i also beat it. This is the only PES game since PES5 that i have completed a full season in ML (just 3 games to go).

I do still play PES5 with my brother but only because he cannot get used to the formation screens and using the stick rather than the dpad.

PES5 was and still is a classic but against the CPU it is too easy now. PES2017 to me is like a modern version of PES5. Player individuailty stands out, each game is different for example one will be totally end to end 3-3 and another will be 0-0 with maybe 4 shots each. But again it could be that i am not as good as some guys and i really have to work out how to break down the CPU's defense and i also have to concentrate when defending.

I can see myself playing this in a few years time if PES2018 and 2019 are rubbish but i hope they won't be.

I am so looking forward to starting my second season in the ML, hopefully i will get promotion if not i may move to a different club which is something PES5 does not offer.

Come on you Spurs .. .the double might be on.

One thing that turns me off are the camera angles. I use Fan view cuz that's the only one that really shows all the players on the field. Looking at the map is impossible cuz the game is too fast, even for a split second would make you lose the ball. It shouldn't be that way. They need to give us more options on camera angles and all be fully customized.

I agree about the camera angles. I just can't seem to get comfy. I use a high, zoomed out angle but can't see as much of the pitch as I'd like. And then during replays I realise how much detail in missing out on.

Still love the game, though.

Nostalgia is hardly the reason for me. It's all about that in older versions they didn't have second agendas. There was no FUT, or online emphasis to compete, it was all about putting up a solid game of football. They stuck to the fundamentals, and didn't try to stray far from it. It still had positioning issues, but as a base, it was gold.

Even the most outrageously fantasy (terrible) type game of Adidas Superstar Soccer had the fundamentals down.

good point, today it's about extra content, look at Fifa watch the ball explode of a players head into the net, it looks unrealistic! will it be there next season? yep, because The Journey 2 is more important for sales then game play..... in 2005 it was about football. Konami spent 6 extra months fine tuning the game play of PES 5 to become the best ever.. Winning 11 9 LE. Does the ball explode off the players head in Winning 11 9 LE? nope !

If that were the case, all (or most) of us would say "this is the best PES/FIFA ever" year after year. And truth to be told, you get less and less of that as time goes on.
very true here, newer PES's are underappreciated, technology is underappreciated..

One thing that turns me off are the camera angles. I use Fan view cuz that's the only one that really shows all the players on the field. Looking at the map is impossible cuz the game is too fast, even for a split second would make you lose the ball. It shouldn't be that way. They need to give us more options on camera angles and all be fully customized.
good point, Pes 5/6 has 3 different broadcast camera angles. Pes 2017 just 1

Last edited:

What was the fundamentals in that game? the running with the ball only to leave it behind? :)

However i completely agree that since money modes like FUT and to a lesser extent Myclub came along, single player mode work has taken a drastic step back to cater for the money spinners.

Theres things in older pes titles i want to see back but for me... 2017 is a huge step in the right direction.

Last edited:
The argument that people still play PES 5 and 6 is really lazy. People still play them because they offer a brilliant football gaming experience. Else I'd still be playing SWOS.

2017 does so much right, but is crippled by some elements that, for me, hold it back greatly.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. PES 5 and 6 where great but not a patch on FIFA 08/09/ world cup edition. PES 17 is better on the pitch than any FIFA game currently so in my opinion way ahead of PES 5/6 - WE9FE was the best of the old ones. PES 17 on cup tournament full manual is just superb

The argument that people still play PES 5 and 6 is really lazy. People still play them because they offer a brilliant football gaming experience. Else I'd still be playing SWOS.

2017 does so much right, but is crippled by some elements that, for me, hold it back greatly.

You are right blue, PES5 does offer a brilliant football gaming experience (never liked PES6) but for me only against human opponents. Otherwise it is too easy and the CPU is too predictable. For me PES2017 against the CPU is fantastic.

This is a good statement. The very little things that it doesn't do right, are of very big impact. That's the shame in it all.

You are right blue, PES5 does offer a brilliant football gaming experience (never liked PES6) but for me only against human opponents. Otherwise it is too easy and the CPU is too predictable. For me PES2017 against the CPU is fantastic.

I only play master league and i will always choose the game which gives me a FAIR challenge, pes 2017 may be more difficult than pes 5/6, but it is biased because team spirit and scripting are articial difficulty and it is badly implemented imo. (top player/superstar, professional too easy)

I only play master league and i will always choose the game which gives me a FAIR challenge, pes 2017 may be more difficult than pes 5/6, but it is biased because team spirit and scripting are articial difficulty and it is badly implemented imo. (top player/superstar, professional too easy)

As I mentioned in an earlier post I probably enjoy it more than others because I am not too good at it so at the moment Professional is fine for me. I also have 80 something Team Spirit, some games are 0-0 some 3-3 some I lose some I win, very balanced at the moment. Since the patch I even find playing lower teams easier than higher teams which is how it should be but before the latest patch it was the opposite. If I get promoted in my Master League then I may notch it up to Top Player and you will probably hear me complaining about scripting and stuff.

PES5 doesn't give me a FAIR challenge anymore because the CPU is predictable and easy to play against. So it's unfair on the CPU.

After playing Winning 11 9LE and then PES 2017, for me it's "fly by wire" or "running on rails" that make 2017 feel stiff and not enough control over your players. If you slide tackle the AI overrides your analog directional input and "fly by wire" kicks in forcing your player in the direction of the ball. Fighting the AI for control of your player is a game play killer! Scripting in ball physics is noticed when ball should go out of play, but doesn't so the AI can beat you to it. Fouls/cards system isn't good enough in PES 2017 either, Konami's development went backwards here.

You get none of this BS in WE9LE a 11 year old game.. it's crazy really.
Ball physics with kingsley813 EXE patch are better and more true than PES 2017.
Fouls/cards system is better in WE9LE.
no stiffness WE9LE either.

Last edited:

Looking back at this video, the grass looked 100x better than now. It looked much more realistic and now looks like an obvious downgrade. I just don't understand Konami.

After playing Winning 11 9LE and then PES 2017, for me it's "fly by wire" or "running on rails" that make 2017 feel stiff and not enough control over your players. If you slide tackle the AI overrides your analog directional input and "fly by wire" kicks in forcing your player in the direction of the ball. Fighting the AI for control of your player is a game play killer! Scripting in ball physics is noticed when ball should go out of play, but doesn't so the AI can beat you to it. Fouls/cards system isn't good enough in PES 2017 either, Konami's development went backwards here.

I Agree. Freedom and diversity are the two words coming to my mind about ps2 pes. About the cards thing though, i think the referees don't give enough cards in we9le (and pes5/we9). You hardly get a yellow, never had a red card. Pes 6 was spot on about that. I actually prefer pes 6 right now, because of the more advanced master league and better attacking cpu. In we9le, i hardly concede a goal from the cpu. Besides with patch and the new exe from kinglsey, pes 6 feels similar to pes 5. Co-op with the cpu is great in pes 6.

I don't know how can you say Pes 5/6 are not stiff. In those games on rail running is even more visible

Are we talking about this Pes 5?

Notice how the players are stuck moving just a bit when receiving every pass, many times even slowing down to accomodate the ball.That is not player movement, that is AI assisted movement that kicks in as soon as you are about to receive the ball (receiver automatically going towards the ball). In fact in Pes 5 passing was much more assisted and on rails, and the AI could easily adjust players movement resulting in a smoother transition from passing to receiving the ball, but the movement you can do when receiving the ball is much more limited than in Pes 2017.

What about scripted ball physics? Every time the CPU defenders clear the ball with an header the resulting trajectory is always the same, high floating ball. That is scripted ball physics. It's still present in Pes 2017, this same movement, this same ball trajectory...

The only thing i like in that video are the fouls. Much more fouls, as it should be. In Pes 2017 referees play advantage rule too frequently, giving too few fouls and the match pace is an end to end one because of this too. It's improved in Pes 2017 compared to Pes 2016 but still wrong.

Last edited:
It's really hard to judge a game from videos cause you obviously have to play and feel for yourself to know the gameplay. If we compare pes 2017 to pes 5/6 we can see how PES 2017 is really close to the game we want but in the same time still far. The fluidity of the game, the pace, the player movement is much better in the new game compared to the old games, but in the other hand the old pes 5/6 games is better in other small factors but has huge effects to the gameplay. The foul system is much better, the shooting system where you're body position affects your power and accuracy of your shots, the passing where body position and player positioning can affect you passing, not to mention in certain positions you need to choose between normal pass or through balls, choose wrong and you'll make a bad pass. Another thing from the old games that konami needs to bring back is bad touches, one heavy touch can ruin your attack. Konami also needs to make it harder to attack from the wings, it's too easy to exploit the side areas and release a cross. I know konami tweaked the crossing in the latest patch, but it's still too OP on level 1 passing imo the problem is the weak defending by the cpu they need to cover the wings better and stop the crosses. PES 2017 is in the right track though, I'm having a lot fun playing it, add the things I mentioned and PES 2018 will be great. Now it's sounds like a whishlist, but I'm optimistic.

Are we talking about this Pes 5?

Notice how the players are stuck moving just a bit when receiving every pass, many times even slowing down to accomodate the ball.That is not player movement, that is AI assisted movement that kicks in as soon as you are about to receive the ball (receiver automatically going towards the ball). In fact in Pes 5 passing was much more assisted and on rails, and the AI could easily adjust players movement resulting in a smoother transition from passing to receiving the ball, but the movement you can do when receiving the ball is much more limited than in Pes 2017.

What about scripted ball physics? Every time the CPU defenders clear the ball with an header the resulting trajectory is always the same, high floating ball. That is scripted ball physics. It's still present in Pes 2017, this same movement, this same ball trajectory...

The only thing i like in that video are the fouls. Much more fouls, as it should be. In Pes 2017 referees play advantage rule too frequently, giving too few fouls and the match pace is an end to end one because of this too. It's improved in Pes 2017 compared to Pes 2016 but still wrong.

I think you didn't get the point Bond!JamesBond! made. I can only talk for myself, when i'm talking about scripting, i'm talking about catch-up bug, players not getting where i want them to be, etc... Also the fact that tactics are too rigid, make pirlo a dmf in pes 2017, he will act like a fucking kante, that is not pirlo, old ps2 game were brilliant in player individuality because the players felt and played based on stats and tactics. Pes 2017 put too much emphasis on tactics, it's like the manager is more important than the players, that is not the case in real football imo.

Edit: I don't want to sound like i despise every modern football games, because that is not the case, i absolutely loved fifa 16 before ea ruined it with the patches, and really thought i would desinstall pes 5/6 forever, but pes 2017 isn't there yet.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom