PES 2017 PlayStation & Xbox Discussion Thread

Mate, I am not saying that it is "not right" to enjoy the game with the patch. We all have different expectation for the game. I am just pointing out issues that I think were absent before the patch that currently make me enjoying the game less than before. But if you are happy with game and you don't experience/suffer from the same issue just ignore my post and enjoy the game.

It's cool papinho ...I wasn't trying to a smart ass with you .. . ..I'd keep playing it whatever condition it's in lol.

Been reading over the last few pages; some stuff I agree with and some I don't.

For me, PES2017 has been somewhat of a glorious success, without re-inventing the wheel or doing anything wonderfully profound in the genre. It has just been a big lovely retro-infused nostalgia trip for the best part of six months. Maybe given the amount of playing time I allow myself, which has mostly been a couple of days binge-playing per week, it simply scratches an itch and that is maybe all I need PES to be these days.

It is an unashamed lo-fi but utterly charming experience playing Master League like I have. I think the more I read other folks views the more I realise I want what everyone doesn't. I, for example, don't need maximum authenticity off the field and just gentle nods towards realism in that respect. The competition licenses are enough so long as I can import/edit, and PES has rarely been on finer form with PES2017. It has proven pure escapism as a result. I've never felt this attached to a team in PES or FIFA for years, maybe ten tears come to think of it.

As for on the pitch, there are some observations I agree with when it comes to criticisms and shortcomings but overall it just adds up to more than the sum of its parts as a gameplay experience. Developing and nurturing players has never been so much fun, and addictive, like it is in this PES too.

I feel I can honestly say that if they go a bit experimental with PES2018 and it doesn't pan out I would be in a position to forgive, as I just get this feeling I could come back to this game if that proves to be the case, and I think some others may feel similarly. Perhaps this will be a PES that gets OF treatment for a couple of years long after it has had its day, which I feel is a mark of quality when it comes to a PES title.

I couldn't in good conscience have scored this game anywhere near a 9 in that first couple of months after release, but I did know I was really enjoying it. Now? It does earn a 9/10 because it isn't that I have played PES with tolerance for that six months, because there was nothing else on the market and its strengths just about edged out its weaknesses. I have played it with nothing but pure enjoyment. No football game has done that for me in the same way PES2017 has managed to since say PES2013, FIFA09 and of course the PS2 PES'.

I shouldn't go talking about the other game in here but all I will say is that, for me, when Konami gets the gameplay balance just about right, aided and abetted with responsiveness and player individuality, they tend to not only come out on top in the duel for that year, but leave a mark the way FIFA rarely has been able to...for me.

This years PES is right up there among the best for me. I say that knowing that older games were arguably a tad more robust in terms of pure gameplay, and that because I was younger I played them far more (though I have put tons of hours into PES2017 since its release to be fair) but this is very much the right, the best, football game for me as I am now.

It gets banded about on other forums and discussion as a derogatory term, but, honestly? I would take PES2018 being a "patch" like follow-up, or as I would say back in the PS2 days, simply an evolution of that which had come immediately before.

I don't think the engine is going to change dramatically for the remainder of this generation, but if all they were to do was fine tune this one - crowbar more animation and other improvements - but at least have a wee eye on the future, then I will accept it.

The way I see PES, even when it was clearly lacking in years not too long past, was that it was a £45 a year investment. Call me mad, but PES is one of only a few titles/franchises I am willing to cough up full RRP and be there day one with. Well, I feel like I have gotten my £45 worth and then some this time out.

For me, PES2017 has been somewhat of a glorious success, without re-inventing the wheel or doing anything wonderfully profound in the genre. It has just been a big lovely retro-infused nostalgia trip for the best part of six months. Maybe given the amount of playing time I allow myself, which has mostly been a couple of days binge-playing per week, it simply scratches an itch and that is maybe all I need PES to be these days.

It is an unashamed lo-fi but utterly charming experience playing Master League like I have. I think the more I read other folks views the more I realise I want what everyone doesn't. I, for example, don't need maximum authenticity off the field and just gentle nods towards realism in that respect. The competition licenses are enough so long as I can import/edit, and PES has rarely been on finer form with PES2017. It has proven pure escapism as a result. I've never felt this attached to a team in PES or FIFA for years, maybe ten tears come to think of it.

As for on the pitch, there are some observations I agree with when it comes to criticisms and shortcomings but overall it just adds up to more than the sum of its parts as a gameplay experience. Developing and nurturing players has never been so much fun, and addictive, like it is in this PES too.

I feel I can honestly say that if they go a bit experimental with PES2018 and it doesn't pan out I would be in a position to forgive, as I just get this feeling I could come back to this game if that proves to be the case, and I think some others may feel similarly. Perhaps this will be a PES that gets OF treatment for a couple of years long after it has had its day, which I feel is a mark of quality when it comes to a PES title.

I couldn't in good conscience have scored this game anywhere near a 9 in that first couple of months after release, but I did know I was really enjoying it. Now? It does earn a 9/10 because it isn't that I have played PES with tolerance for that six months, because there was nothing else on the market and its strengths just about edged out its weaknesses. I have played it with nothing but pure enjoyment. No football game has done that for me in the same way PES2017 has managed to since say PES2013, FIFA09 and of course the PS2 PES'.

I shouldn't go talking about the other game in here but all I will say is that, for me, when Konami gets the gameplay balance just about right, aided and abetted with responsiveness and player individuality, they tend to not only come out on top in the duel for that year, but leave a mark the way FIFA rarely has been able to...for me.

This years PES is right up there among the best for me. I say that knowing that older games were arguably a tad more robust in terms of pure gameplay, and that because I was younger I played them far more (though I have put tons of hours into PES2017 since its release to be fair) but this is very much the right, the best, football game for me as I am now.

It gets banded about on other forums and discussion as a derogatory term, but, honestly? I would take PES2018 being a "patch" like follow-up, or as I would say back in the PS2 days, simply an evolution of that which had come immediately before.

I don't think the engine is going to change dramatically for the remainder of this generation, but if all they were to do was fine tune this one - crowbar more animation and other improvements - but at least have a wee eye on the future, then I will accept it.

The way I see PES, even when it was clearly lacking in years not too long past, was that it was a £45 a year investment. Call me mad, but PES is one of only a few titles/franchises I am willing to cough up full RRP and be there day one with. Well, I feel like I have gotten my £45 worth and then some this time out.

Well said Curdstar. . I agree with you wholeheartedly. ..I enjoy it and some matches can be exhilarating and hit the mark.

Gentlemen, I apologize for the late notice but we are podcasting this evening at 10PM EST time in the USA. We'd love to have a community member on who speaks good english. If anyone is interested please contact me. You can find me on twitter @bryan_wenb

Gentlemen, I apologize for the late notice but we are podcasting this evening at 10PM EST time in the USA. We'd love to have a community member on who speaks good english. If anyone is interested please contact me. You can find me on twitter @bryan_wenb

We no speaka de english here. .. .go home yankee . . .joking . . look forward to your views.

I don't feel as if they would be experimenting with PES 2018. PES 2017 just needs those few necessary small tweaks to be an almost perfect footie. They just need to tweak the robotic nature of tactical awareness and attack/defense modifiers, fouls(especially against you), disable fake CPU boost in ML, exaggerate stats so that you can easily feel good players from bad players and good teams from bad teams, improve passing(so that all the CPU team doesn't get 85+ passing completion) and then we got ourselves a satisfying footie game which is perfect in my books. Right now, nothing is grabbing me away from Winning Eleven 9 Liveware Evolution and I have strange feeling that PES 2018 might be that game if they play their cards right.

What is the URL from the podcast again? Just forgot it :BLUSH:

I don't feel as if they would be experimenting with PES 2018. PES 2017 just needs those few necessary small tweaks to be an almost perfect footie. They just need to tweak the robotic nature of tactical awareness and attack/defense modifiers, fouls(especially against you), disable fake CPU boost in ML, exaggerate stats so that you can easily feel good players from bad players and good teams from bad teams, improve passing(so that all the CPU team doesn't get 85+ passing completion) and then we got ourselves a satisfying footie game which is perfect in my books. Right now, nothing is grabbing me away from Winning Eleven 9 Liveware Evolution and I have strange feeling that PES 2018 might be that game if they play their cards right.

Perfectly said. We don't need so many tweaks for PES 2018. If they work within their proper scope, they'll achieve a better product. No need to reinvent the wheel.

One thing I really hope they fix is the lethargic and robotic animations during tackles. So many times in every match I will put a foot in and the ball will break free but my player slowly stumbles into a recovery before heading for the ball. It's the same for the AI too. There is no dynamic urgency when the ball breaks close to another player. I just want to see the closest player react immediately by lunging in or sticking a foot out to try and toe poke it into the path of a team mate. Would make the whole match feel much more lifelike.

One thing I really hope they fix is the lethargic and robotic animations during tackles. So many times in every match I will put a foot in and the ball will break free but my player slowly stumbles into a recovery before heading for the ball. It's the same for the AI too. There is no dynamic urgency when the ball breaks close to another player. I just want to see the closest player react immediately by lunging in or sticking a foot out to try and toe poke it into the path of a team mate. Would make the whole match feel much more lifelike.

+1

lack of animation

I want to know one thing, any of you plays PES 2017 on PS4 PRO WITHOUT a 4K TV/Monitor?
I want to know if it still would look great (and play as great) still better than normal PS4 (even if of course it wouldn't look as it would with a 4K TV).

Thanks

I've played this game enough over the last few months to know within minutes that this new patch has affected gameplay. It seems faster, but i'm not sure I like it. It doesn't quite feel natural. Will play more.

It's turning into 12 angry men with this patch. . .I'm now starting to doubt if it's an improvement . .the first 2 days it felt great and most of us thought so .. . but since then it feels like one big mess. . .everyone running into each other and terrible collisions . ..some of the matches are awful to play, totally disjointed and the more I play it the faster it seems to get .. .it feels like you are being forced to attack down the flanks all the time and there's not much variety in the Cpu goals. . .certain things have improved but as a whole it feels worse. .. .damn you Konami.

I want to know one thing, any of you plays PES 2017 on PS4 PRO WITHOUT a 4K TV/Monitor?
I want to know if it still would look great (and play as great) still better than normal PS4 (even if of course it wouldn't look as it would with a 4K TV).

Thanks
There's no difference apart from 4k and HDR:

I've played this game enough over the last few months to know within minutes that this new patch has affected gameplay. It seems faster, but i'm not sure I like it. It doesn't quite feel natural. Will play more.
That was my first thought. It's faster. I'm playing on -1, professional, 15 min.!
Need to play more with the new patch.

Interesting talk about the new patch. I was afraid of being accused of placebo symptoms:) but this patch have changed something. To me so far feels there is more pressure from the CPU teams (I play offline on manual) on the ball; the pitch is not as open for end to end game play. I am forced to play more patiently and I see I have to pass the ball a round even back to my goal to try to penetrate the defense. Passing and shooting and individuality have been tweaked too (to the better). Strangely enough some were praising the patch at first but I see more complains now. I am wondering where the difference in experience is coming from. It may be the mode, control or difficulty settings each one is using or even tactics employed

Last edited:
How's the game looking online right now? Good amount of players? Good quality connection? Actual 'quality' football?

I'm considering picking it up on PS4 as I need a footy fix. I had it on PC before (awful idea) and it was a mess online.

Interesting talk about the new patch. I was afraid of being accused of placebo symptoms:) but this patch have changed something. To me so far feels there is more pressure from the CPU teams (I play offline on manual) on the ball; the pitch is not as open for end to end game play. I am forced to play more patiently and I see I have to pass the ball a round even back to my goal to try to penetrate the defense. Passing and shooting and individuality have been tweaked too (to the better). Strangely enough some were praising the patch at first but I see more complains now. I am wondering where the difference in experience is coming from. It may be the mode, control or difficulty settings each one is using or even tactics employed

What's happening is that the novelty of the patch is wearing off and the faults are becoming obvious. .. .I praised it at the start but it feels more arcade like now and repetitive. . ..it feels like there's no space on the pitch and the wings are used too much for attacks . . it's very difficult on Superstar to score and even going forward in midfield is hard. . . . feels like most passes are intercepted through a burst of speed from the Cpu. .. . .could be down to my own lack of skill. . its not the tactics . .have tried everything . . then again could be a steep learning curve.

What's happening is that the novelty of the patch is wearing off and the faults are becoming obvious. .. .I praised it at the start but it feels more arcade like now and repetitive. . ..it feels like there's no space on the pitch and the wings are used too much for attacks . . it's very difficult on Superstar to score and even going forward in midfield is hard. . . . feels like most passes are intercepted through a burst of speed from the Cpu. .. . .could be down to my own lack of skill. . its not the tactics . .have tried everything . . then again could be a steep learning curve.
Have you tired downgrading from superstar to top player or even professional? I can't imagine playing superstar on this game. I play with professional settings. I'd imagine that the CPU is more aggressive, game relatively faster on the top difficulty like superstar

Have you tired downgrading from superstar to top player or even professional? I can't imagine playing superstar on this game. I play with professional settings. I'd imagine that the CPU is more aggressive, game relatively faster on the top difficulty like superstar

Yeh was think of trying Top Player, but before the patch it was too easy.

I was playing a couple of matches tonight. Mostly Liverpool against Dortmund and Juventus against Schalke.
Latest patch. Latest simple settings (green/green). Man., -1, Prof., 15. No of.

It might be a tad faster with the latest patch or it's just more "fluid". I see some animations being quicker especially when low passing. Sometimes this looks like fast forward for half a second. But i think it serves the purpose. I wittnessed more shooting variety by the AI. The before mentioned (some user here) back pass by star strikers in front of goal to a mate at the penalty box for a hammer occurred a few times.
All together it was all fun to play.
One last thing. The AI didn't seem to push, like momentum push, late in the game. I did not had that feeling of "loosing it" at the end...

looks like there is a bit of a consensus then about the added fluiditiy and the increased aggressiveness of the AI... placebo's eh.

Secret PES gameplay patches are a delusion and always have been. PES has session-to-session differences. That's all you're seeing, and all you've ever seen through all the years. Belief that there could ever be such a thing as 'secret gameplay patches' is just part of the strange cult-like belief system that's grown up around this issue over the years.

'I've been playing this game 24 hours a day since release and I am telling you that...'

That is not going to convince me when a) I don't perceive these changes, after 100s of ML matches and a near-daily playing habit; b) you can't make your mind up if they're obvious changes or subtle ones – if they're 'subtle' changes, how do you know they're there?; c) Konami have never, ever, not even once, stated that they have adopted the practice, against all established professional custom, of secretly changing their product's gameplay without telling anyone, least of all Sony. When we look at the patchnotes for games where gameplay is changed, and we look at the absence of the same for PES (over all the years), there's only one reasonable conclusion. The patch gameplay changes are a delusion.

I accept in advance that this will be like trying to tell climate change sceptics that 98% of worldwide scientists couldn't reasonably be involved in a massive conspiracy.

Last edited:
+1 If people didnt know that a patch was applied, they wouldnt notice any difference. But its the same in FIFA or NHL series, also there people say that theyre playing almost a whole new game after every patch (even if it is only a graphical patch :D ). Placebo can do magic, its proven by doctors and researches.

Back
Top Bottom