PES 2017 PlayStation & Xbox Discussion Thread

Another year, another disappointment.

This is exactly PES 2014.3. The same robotic, unrealistic gameplay, 16 directional dribbling is still there :DOH:. Passing, crossing, shooting is like bullet of .44 Magnum. Fouls? Only on my side. Of course always yellow or red card due to unrealistic collisions and animations. PES stuck between 2006-2007 and is still there, today 2016 and will be there for another 5 or even 10 years.

It will always have some deluded fanboys but it is not helping PES.

From what i read, everything you said is related to Fifa's gameplay.
When you play too much on one game, it become a "standard" for you, and you can't be objective while you playing the other football iteration.

I've passed throught this feeling while i was only playing Fifa so i understand... And make the reverse, then i've see so many flaws on Fifa.
In fact there isn't any standard or a better way to create a football game, both have flaws, and neither are perfect, all is about the player's point of view.
Trying to understand the "how", a bit objectively is how you can really compare game.

16 directionnal play wtf :CONFUSE:

Last edited:
Are the games end to end where the AI hit you on the counter attack all of the time? Or is there actually midfield play in this version?

There's more build up play in this.

In 2016 the only way there was build up play was if you purposely did it. In 2017 it's actually needed at times.

This is exactly PES 2014.3. The same robotic, unrealistic gameplay, 16 directional dribbling is still there :DOH:. Passing, crossing, shooting is like bullet of .44 Magnum. Fouls? Only on my side. Of course always yellow or red card due to unrealistic collisions and animations. PES stuck between 2006-2007 and is still there, today 2016 and will be there for another 5 or even 10 years.

So anyone that likes the game so far is deluded?

I'm not quite sure what you were expecting, it was obvious by the videos that 2017 was not completely rebuilt from the ground up. The principles in movement and how animations work is the same, that's down to engine.

Howver they've tweaked the gameplay to make more of an emphasis on a players first touch which slows the game down.

It sounds like you simply don't enjoy the core mechanics of pes as it stands, which is absolutely fine. But until they build a new engine (which certainly won't be this gen) I'd say it's pretty safe to say that you won't enjoy a version of pes this gen.

Opinions are subjective, but I can't agree that passes are as fast as a gunshot, everything has been slowed down. How did you manage with 2016 then, if you think 2017 is fast lol.

Last edited:
If you play as the two best teams, then the two worst teams (or even, if anyone can be bothered doing this, with the reserves as the first team)... Is there a big difference in things like passing accuracy and shooting ability? Or is it a case of you just move slower and can't get past the CPU?

I don't know if I've explained that well but... I'm just hoping that when I play as a terrible team (I always start my ML in the Championship), the passing accuracy is off (preferably for both teams), and it's not just a case of slower players or lag being introduced.

There's more build up play in this.

In 2016 the only way there was build up play was if you purposely did it. In 2017 it's actually needed at times.

Thanks - sounds good.

And do the AI work the ball and retain possession or do they just come at you at breakneck speed all of the time?

Just sneaked away from my desk to watch those highlights Lami, love the overhead kick and love the CPU missing the target! Also love the goal you scored where Giroud hit a really powerful half-volley across the keeper and into the net, the physics of it look just right (and really satisfying).

God it felt good. It felt so good because of several reasons; I wanted it there, I imagined it that way, it was executed how I wanted, and both the CPU defense and GK weren't just watching.

Lami, those highlights look really good!

Please people, upload more of the highlights for poor PC players, like myself.

I'll do my best :)

Man, if you are having that much fun, then I will also enjoy the game a lot, as your views are usually very similar to mine.

It makes me happy seeing old members like you having fun with a PES game again.

Here's what, I left my couch and sat on the floor in front of the tv like I was a teen again. Rofl! That's how concentrated I am. When I did that I realized I haven't done that in a decade, and it's a good thing!

Like I said, the animations need an overhaul, but honestly the gameplay is so good it's captivating.

16 directions my arse.

Thanks - sounds good.

And do the AI work the ball and retain possession or do they just come at you at breakneck speed all of the time?

The teams have a clear distinction in how they play.

The game itself just isn't as end to end as 2016. As I said once you get to play it you'll see how the whole flow of the game has changed.

Also if anyone feels it hasn't changed that much (which would surprise me), play a full match on 2017, and then boot up 2016 with those exact same teams and the difference is eye opening in terms of the build up and flow of the match.

Like I said, the animations need an overhaul, but honestly the gameplay is so good it's captivating.

16 directions my arse.

It sounds like he was expecting a completely different game. It was clear by the videos that 2017 is simply an "evolution" of 2016, not a revolution.

Even if someone doesn't like pes nowadays I think it's quite clear that 2017 is certainly the best of the 3 released this gen, especially if the likes of pes 5 is what you enjoyed.

Infact 2017 is the equivalent of 5 in terms of build up for me, with the likes of 4 being arcade and the equivalent of 2016.

Last edited:
Awesome to hear that, Lami.

But I fear this might be the initial excitement of playing a new game. I fear the flaws might become more evident after a week playing it. Who knows.::

But at least everything seems to indicate that PES 2017 is a genuine improvement over PES 2016 and it offers a better football experience.

Awesome to hear that, Lami.

But I fear this might be the initial excitement of playing a new game. I fear the flaws might become more evident after a week playing it. Who knows.::

But at least everything seems to indicate that PES 2017 is a genuine improvement over PES 2016 and it offers a better football experience.

Oh they will, as usual, lol. But from what I'm experiencing here it's playing great so far. Great defense, great anticipation and interception, no feeling of cheap goals, reliable keepers, good aerial duels, on the fly CK tactics, and more.

Just I wish they let us change the attacking and defensive preset tactics to test them out.

At first it gives you PES 2016 feeling globally, in passing terms...
But after 1 minutes of playing, on superstar level, feels totally different to create an opportunity to shoot.
AI is really challenging, video's we'll see before with easy scoring are probably played on top player or normal.

Ah yeah, try to run with Mertesacker lol, you can feel the limits.
Passing is easy, playing it is easy, but create opportunity with direct play/key passes you'll need players like Ozil for example.
And the same for scoring (even find space to shoot).

Stats matters.

Sounds very good to me!

From what i read, everything you said is related to Fifa's gameplay.

Absolute bullshit, sorry...
At least not on FIFA 16.

Better than pes 2013 in terms of build up and variation?

AI variation yes, but PES 2013 have more space so it feels different.
But the CPU is for me the most intelligent i've seen in a PES, even in a football game.
For the rest it's debatable, the game itself is far to be flawless but "captivating" like Lami said

Last edited:
Ive waited too long for this demo today to call it a night.. haha I have 10mins left on dl from Nz store.. gonna play this baby tonight.
Thanks for the impressions guys, and great highlights vid Lami.. gotta love the beating drum soundtrack that goes with it...

Oh they will, as usual, lol. But from what I'm experiencing here it's playing great so far. Great defense, great anticipation and interception, no feeling of cheap goals, reliable keepers, good aerial duels, on the fly CK tactics, and more.

Just I wish they let us change the attacking and defensive preset tactics to test them out.

All sound good so far.

The only negative points are the ones that most of were expecting (like player movement physics for example), so that helps to not feel like PES 2017 is a disapointment.

PES 2016 for me sure was a huge disapointment. Totalg wrong direction.

Ive waited too long for this demo today to call it a night.. haha I have 10mins left on dl from Nz store.. gonna play this baby tonight.
Thanks for the impressions guys, and great highlights vid Lami.. gotta love the beating drum soundtrack that goes with it...

Hope you enjoy it mate!

If you play as the two best teams, then the two worst teams (or even, if anyone can be bothered doing this, with the reserves as the first team)... Is there a big difference in things like passing accuracy and shooting ability? Or is it a case of you just move slower and can't get past the CPU?

I don't know if I've explained that well but... I'm just hoping that when I play as a terrible team (I always start my ML in the Championship), the passing accuracy is off (preferably for both teams), and it's not just a case of slower players or lag being introduced.

I've just taken control of Boca and the players first touch is nowhere near as good. They mis control it, or sometimes can't even get it under control at all with the ball bouncing off them.

It doesn't happen all the time obviously, as that would be frustrating, and not realistic as a professional footballer can obviously control a ball.

But if you hit a hard pass towards certain players their first touch is clearly much worse than a better player.

The shooting is even different. I took a shot with Gago and he sliced the ball wide. I don't mean the ball went just wide, but like literally sliced it into the touchline.

Last edited:
All sound good so far.

The only negative points are the ones that most of were expecting (like player movement physics for example), so that helps to not feel like PES 2017 is a disapointment.

PES 2016 for me sure was a huge disapointment. Totalg wrong direction.

Once you get past that initial archaic animations feeling, and be engrossed in the gameplay, you'll enjoy it more. You'll also notice how fluid the animations are although archaic. You realize they made the best out of them.

And just to confirm this, I've been playing on -1 speed from the 1st game. Default speed is too much for me.

Absolute bullshit, sorry...
At least not on FIFA 16.

You've understand the contrary of what i wanted to say:
Everything he's mentionned was "flaws" of PES from a Fifa's player point of view.
And related to Fifa's relative qualitie. I didn't say at all that what he's saying was in Fifa 16.

Re-reread my post. Sorry about my english speed talking

But when you brutally pass from a PES to Fifa after a year or the contrary, you'll see many differents things which isn't really flaws, but different choice from the devs to make a football game right.
At least not always, i find PES basics animations for example more "lifelike" also due to players models, but at least the half in terms of numbers as we see in Fifa 16/17, which make the movement very fluid and with better transitions.

Last edited:
AI variation yes, but PES 2013 have more space so it feels different.
But the CPU is for me the most intelligent i've seen in a PES, even in a football game.
For the rest it's debatable, the game itself is far to be flawless but "captivating" like Lami said

does the ai really attempt to close you down if for example you rely too much on wing play for every attack

Once you get past that initial archaic animations feeling, and be engrossed in the gameplay, you'll enjoy it more. You'll also notice how fluid the animations are although archaic. You realize they made the best out of them.

And just to confirm this, I've been playing on -1 speed from the 1st game. Default speed is too much for me.

Ive literally got 20secs of download ... im gonna go default, superstar, full manual hahahah barca v ..hmm.. easy team..

Lami, can you please test and see if the AI will try stealing the ball back if you put the controller down whilst in possession and facing your keeper on the edge of the six yard box? I saw a vid earlier where someone did that and everybody stood still - really stupid.

Everything he's mentionned was "flaws" of PES from a Fifa's player point of view.
And related to Fifa's relative qualitie. I didn't say at all that what he's saying was in Fifa 16.

But when you brutally pass from a PES to Fifa after a year or the contrary, you'll see many differents things which isn't really flaws, but different choice from the devs to make a football game right.

Sry, I mistook you.

I thought you meant that the flaws he talked about are in the other game.

does the ai really attempt to close you down if for example you rely too much on wing play for every attack

I've been playing it constantly down the left wing to see if I could notice a change, and I've still been able to get the crosses in.....

But all of a sudden Tevez is surrounded by defenders. So they've not closed me down more on the wing, but double marked the main threat the balls were coming to.

Can you try giving the ball to a CB and see if you can zig zag from one end to the other, that turned me off from playing PES 16

It's bloody difficult to do that.

I've also tried standing still with the ball outside my box and the a.i dispossesses me quickly.

In 2015 I could stand there all day, and even at times in 2016 they wouldn't attempt to win the ball back.

I'm even finding it much harder to take people on down the wings, much harder than 2016.

At least not always, i find PES basics animations for example more "lifelike" also due to players models, but at least the half in terms of numbers as we see in Fifa 16/17, which make the movement very fluid and with better transitions.

yes and obviously he sounded like a deluded fan boy trying to preach

"only" a deluded fan boy would come here and call others deluded fan boys for liking a game.

any ways, keep the impressions coming

can't wait to test demo out for myself when I get home from the office

It's bloody difficult to do that.

I've also tried standing still with the ball outside my box and the a.i dispossesses me quickly.

In 2015 I could stand there all day, and even at times in 2016 they wouldn't attempt to win the ball back.

I'm even finding it much harder to take people on down the wings, much harder than 2016.

Sounds very promising so far, another 30min and il be hitting it hard.

Sry, I mistook you.

I thought you meant that the flaws he talked about are in the other game.

No prob mate.
But what we calls flaws aren't always flaws, just a different way to represent a 90 min. sport on 10 (12 min on Fifa... I think personnally that's the best "timing" but well)

Can you try giving the ball to a CB and see if you can zig zag from one end to the other, that turned me off from playing PES 16

..hey man.. I have bad news on this.. YES YOU CAN.. superstar.. and I just passed it to Pique.. ran full length.. in an out.. not just one diagonal run..but easy enough to get all the way to the other box, and shoot.. no one on me... not cool...

Never tried this in pes16, but remember you always mentioned it... well.. they haven't fixed it...

Back
Top Bottom