PES 2012 Football Life thread

I can never reset, regardless. When I replay the game if feels all wrong, as I knew I lost and I feel I'm only really cheating myself.

Yeah I see where you're coming from dude. I never used to. I had around 200 hours play of last year's ML on Top Player, finishing anywhere between 15th and 1st and was able to accept a smackdown. The AI did cheat more as the seasons rolled on but not to this extent in my experience. I play these games like I want to see a match play out in real life. Some matches, it doesn't work out. But of late I was beginning to feel very downbeat about continuing playing. The feel-good factor was going - already!

Sadly, I wasn't prepared to have an honest first season with a younger Spurs side and a hard fought 7th-place finish pulled to pieces the next year by the AI going into overdrive no matter what the tactic, lineup etc. Individuality shot to bits as Matthew Upson skins 3 players then walks literally through a fourth, just like Chicarito did the game before. Robben and Wes Brown playing like they're clones.

Trialed a few things with the hack and things feel like season 1 again. A real test, not a pisstake.

I'm in need of advice. Does professional feels too easy for all you top players? I'm considering moving down as like someone said, the game is not satisfying at the moment. I'm playing season 2 as Betis with default ML players on Top Player. Everything was going okay and I was 5-1-2 for W/D/L.

All of a sudden, CPU turns cheat mode on. I've just lost three matches in a roll by playing tactically sound games, creating enough chances to score and not allowing the opposition any space. The problem is that the CPU always finds a way to score. Here we go:

Game one:

I'm holding up play with a defender by holding R2 + X. A teammate comes from the middle of nowhere (i'm not playing on assisted cursor settings nor was I pressing the square button). Said teammate hacks CPU from 20 metres away or so. I position a defender of mine on the far post (GK is covering the other corner). CPU scores, defender doesnt jump after I press square (repeatedly).

Game two:

CPU scores from a cheap corner kick. I notice a guy making a run, then I select one of my players to mark him. Ball comes, I press square (player still selected), said player doesnt jump, opponent heads ball in.

Game three:

This one is a joke. Opponent player is coming at me, so I hold up play. I manage to get a tackle but the ball goes to another opponent. He's being marked by four (FOUR!) of my players. Regardless, he managed to get a shot in (not a single one of them made a tackle or sliding tackle despite me pressing the buttons in despair), ball takes a deflection, goal.

PES has a tradition of cheating since PS2, but this is too much. My team is terrible already, everything in D's except for Speed, which is B. I get cheated every god damn game. On previous versions, CPU cheated once in a while, maybe a couple games, it was "acceptable". Now i'm feeling like i'm being beat by scripting 100% of the time and that's ruining it for me.

I like to get punished by my mistakes, but that's one thing. Pulling all the right strings and doing all the right things and still being punished, is another. KONAMI needs to do something about it ASAP. This is coming from someone that has played all versions of Winning Eleven since version 3, always starting from the hardest difficulty. I've always prevailed. I've never reset a match and i've taken harder beatdowns on a videogame - but that was because I was learning. Maybe I wasn't good enough.

Now I feel like i'm playing a good brand of football, doing good enough to at least scrap a few 1-0, 2-0 wins (given the lack of quality of my players) but I still lose. Does someone also feel this way or am I in denial?

I'm in need of advice. Does professional feels too easy for all you top players? I'm considering moving down as like someone said, the game is not satisfying at the moment. I'm playing season 2 as Betis with default ML players on Top Player. Everything was going okay and I was 5-1-2 for W/D/L.

All of a sudden, CPU turns cheat mode on. I've just lost three matches in a roll by playing tactically sound games, creating enough chances to score and not allowing the opposition any space. The problem is that the CPU always finds a way to score. Here we go:

Game one:

I'm holding up play with a defender by holding R2 + X. A teammate comes from the middle of nowhere (i'm not playing on assisted cursor settings nor was I pressing the square button). Said teammate hacks CPU from 20 metres away or so. I position a defender of mine on the far post (GK is covering the other corner). CPU scores, defender doesnt jump after I press square (repeatedly).

Game two:

CPU scores from a cheap corner kick. I notice a guy making a run, then I select one of my players to mark him. Ball comes, I press square (player still selected), said player doesnt jump, opponent heads ball in.

Game three:

This one is a joke. Opponent player is coming at me, so I hold up play. I manage to get a tackle but the ball goes to another opponent. He's being marked by four (FOUR!) of my players. Regardless, he managed to get a shot in (not a single one of them made a tackle or sliding tackle despite me pressing the buttons in despair), ball takes a deflection, goal.

PES has a tradition of cheating since PS2, but this is too much. My team is terrible already, everything in D's except for Speed, which is B. I get cheated every god damn game. On previous versions, CPU cheated once in a while, maybe a couple games, it was "acceptable". Now i'm feeling like i'm being beat by scripting 100% of the time and that's ruining it for me.

I like to get punished by my mistakes, but that's one thing. Pulling all the right strings and doing all the right things and still being punished, is another. KONAMI needs to do something about it ASAP. This is coming from someone that has played all versions of Winning Eleven since version 3, always starting from the hardest difficulty. I've always prevailed. I've never reset a match and i've taken harder beatdowns on a videogame - but that was because I was learning. Maybe I wasn't good enough.

Now I feel like i'm playing a good brand of football, doing good enough to at least scrap a few 1-0, 2-0 wins (given the lack of quality of my players) but I still lose. Does someone also feel this way or am I in denial?
Welcome to ML 2012... more seriously professional is worst than top player in my experience, in prof I gave up trying to defend free kicks, stop using crosses and long passes as I couldnt win a single header, All CPU controlled opponents are maradona and will go through all your team and score.
I conceded some serious cheater goals (going on the attack, shoot got parried by keeper, 2nd ball goes for cpu(like always)then long pass to the right channel, player cuts in(at that time I knew I was going to concede) skin 5 players then shoot). worst defeat was 8-2.
You are not in denial, the game isnt fun because of the cpu cheating

I can never reset, regardless. When I replay the game if feels all wrong, as I knew I lost and I feel I'm only really cheating myself.

I can understand you, but i'm totally different. For me games are pure escapism. While playing games i want to feel a litle bit superhuman...i damn well know that i'm just the average joe...but once in a while i want escapism...win the Champions League and things like that.

PS: apparently i'm not such a big cheater because the last time i actually won a CL final (or even played one) was in PES5...but now and then i start a game over...

Just finished a game against Rennais where the cheating was ramped up to 100. I had 12 shots on goal, 8 of which conveniently hit the post. After the game finished I was watching the highlights and it showed a shot clearly beat the keeper by a yard but get pushed away by an invisible, mysterious force.

Funnily enough, I still managed to beat them 3-2. After the scoring the clencher I caught myself shouting 'eat sh!t and die slow you dirty cheating motherf@ckers!!'.

Taking a PES break for a couple days.

It's quite comforting to know I wasn't alone feeling the cheat epidemic. On the games I've sneaked a win on against opposition deploying "cheat mode" for 90 minutes, my reaction is mixed. Angrily happy - I feel like a football thug who's team has just shoved their way to victory. PES has always been about just feeling amazing for winning a great match.

Yeah cheating is so annoying, but I think the best way do defend against them is to never rushing towards the player with the ball, funnily they are much more prone to making mistakes when they are not pressurised by two very good defenders.

There is clearly a trigger that goes off once you pressurise them.
go figure.

Would those with the game say Professional level is harder than it is on the demo?

I always start with default players in Div 2 ML but from the above it sounds like that's a no go on Top Player this year. Am I right?

Yeah cheating is so annoying, but I think the best way do defend against them is to never rushing towards the player with the ball, funnily they are much more prone to making mistakes when they are not pressurised by two very good defenders.

There is clearly a trigger that goes off once you pressurise them.
go figure

It's like sprinting non stop when positioning/defending/cutting out pass lanes.

CPU forces you to think instead of rushing them off the ball ASAP, a lot of folks don't get this or don't want/like it. Once you start playing more real life like in defence the cpu will rethink their options. It's like trying to get past you when you rush to them or don't jockey well with decent cover or at least little space for him to go into after he passes you etc. Or 'always able' to give that killer pass when you feel everything is standing correctly.

The 'if the cpu wants to score, they will score' cheat is still somewhat in there, be it via crosses or the occasional scrimmage setup that usually benefits them!

I hardly concede via free-kicks though. Move the goalie a bit more to the corner and/or extend the wall. I score more fk's than scored against me via those.

CPU forces you to think instead of rushing them off the ball ASAP, a lot of folks don't get this or don't want/like it. Once you start playing more real life like in defence the cpu will rethink their options. It's like trying to get past you when you rush to them or don't jockey well with decent cover or at least little space for him to go into after he passes you etc. Or 'always able' to give that killer pass when you feel everything is standing correctly.

The 'if the cpu wants to score, they will score' cheat is still somewhat in there, be it via crosses or the occasional scrimmage setup that usually benefits them!

I hardly concede via free-kicks though. Move the goalie a bit more to the corner and/or extend the wall. I score more fk's than scored against me via those.

I agree that you need to give more thought and concentrate on the overall picture rather than blindly rush towards the ball when defending, and that is a good thing. Pressing square and x and waiting to win the ball kind of defending is punished this year and that is also a great thing.

What is not so great is that when 2 good defenders surround an average cpu player and he starts split second skill moves and incredible turns and you have absolutely no chance of getting the ball without fouling.

For me that is simply cheating and takes away from otherwise a very balanced and satisfying experience of attack and defence. I still love the game and play it a lot, it's just the scripted nature of situations you sometimes find yourself in kills the magic.

I agree that you need to give more thought and concentrate on the overall picture rather than blindly rush towards the ball when defending, and that is a good thing. Pressing square and x and waiting to win the ball kind of defending is punished this year and that is also a great thing.

What is not so great is that when 2 good defenders surround an average cpu player and he starts split second skill moves and incredible turns and you have absolutely no chance of getting the ball without fouling.

For me that is simply cheating and takes away from otherwise a very balanced and satisfying experience of attack and defence. I still love the game and play it a lot, it's just the scripted nature of situations you sometimes find yourself in kills the magic.

Yeah i know what you mean. I will say tho it has happened to me too, i've also done it against the cpu (a lot less) because it's not in my nature, but you can equally f* the cpu back when they double team you

Still haven't played the final version yet but I am noticing nobody's talking about the AI anymore in a positive light. When the demos came out everyone was gobsmacked by how good it was, now everyone's claiminig it's superhuman and cheats :(

On the resetting game thing, I hate doing it but sometimes it leaves you no choice. In PES2011 I spent over a month playing a complete season, the league title went down to the final match, and I drew thanks to a late equalising goal that was caused by player switching issues. Nothing I could do about it. The late goal cost me the league title, so I switched it off and replayed. Ruined the immersion completely, but I wasn't having the game take all that play time away from me by screwing up which players I could control when the AI scored, and was the only reason it scored in the first place.

Maybe people are taking the A.I. for granted, and just whinging due to being poor losers. Or maybe there is blatant evidence of cheating. Either way, I'll be able to comment myself on Thursday/Friday.

What I will say is that I played PES 2011 last night for the first time in a month, and the A.i. is terrible compared to the PES 12 Demo 2. Everyone seemed so static and rigid in comparison. I'm certainly not taking PES 12's A.i. for granted.

Game one:

Game two:

Game three:

Yeah mate professional is too easy now, if I drop down a level I generally win very comfortably and have a ludicrous amount of possession...not good.

I feel in Top Player I do almost everything within the game to give me the best chance of winning. A little checklist may be something like

1) Get bodies behind the ball with a formation. I use 4-1-3-2 as it gives me the best chance of stalling the CPU in midfield.
2) If you've given the ball away retreat but try and usher the attackers outside of you.
3) ALWAYS ALWAYS watch out for the CPU one-two run, most of the time they trigger it and wait for the player to run like 10-15 yards before giving it back
4) Protect the wings. I know this is difficult as you're trying to protect the avalanche of CPU through the middle, but make sure your full backs aren't too narrow as this gives an easy wing through ball from the CPU for them to cross and head a goal
5) Try to not use sprint unless you absolutely have to; by using the sprint button and storming the CPU they just go into hyper god mode, kind of pisses them off or something
6) Don't always go to the ball carrier, instead quickly look at what options he has and follow any try and cut down the space.

There's a few more tips and tit bits, I think the key is just to play and play it.

I must admit, I bought the PS3 version first (US), I just can't stand that any more since my mate showed me the PC version. It's like a different game, there's more weight to the players, the game unfolds lovely, the graphics are better and the general feel of the game is more like a hybrid of PES2011/WE9LE/PE6 lol, it's crazy but it just feels like this. Then when I go back to the PS3 version I wondered how the hell I was able to control and position players as everything seems on ice.

Maybe people are taking the A.I. for granted, and just whinging due to being poor losers. Or maybe there is blatant evidence of cheating. Either way, I'll be able to comment myself on Thursday/Friday.

What I will say is that I played PES 2011 last night for the first time in a month, and the A.i. is terrible compared to the PES 12 Demo 2. Everyone seemed so static and rigid in comparison. I'm certainly not taking PES 12's A.i. for granted.

I'm guessing that some come on and rant just after they've lost a few games. The AI dribbling is not an issue for me, I learnt to defend against it during the demo. What irks me are situations where the game does something contrary to my input
(like slowing my player down so the CPU can get a loose ball)
or in really rare cases just flat out changing ball physics/player collision models.

To be honest though these 'issues' have been present since the PS2 era, so if you haven't noticed them before, you probably won't start seeing them now.

I completely agree with all of you guys about the poor AI. I've said it already.. I can win against any opponent but it doesn't feel right. It feels like I'm cheating more than the AI. I'm just holding on the possession and scoring mainly with the buggy through passes. If I try to play nice attacking football the AI just ditch itself in defense and counter-attack using fast passes right through my players collision models. If they find passing unsatisfying they start running through them instead. :JAY:
Then again, I can still win comfortable.. The true disaster comes when you're playing with just one player. It's like your team wanna lose no matter how hard you try to win. When I've started BAL mode I was thinking that the problem is in the weak team I'm playing for or my player's low stats. Therefore I took Cristiano Ronaldo and tried the same game mode.. I wasn't really surprised when my team performance came just as bad.

The thing is that you're always feeling screwed by the AI.

Still haven't played the final version yet but I am noticing nobody's talking about the AI anymore in a positive light. When the demos came out everyone was gobsmacked by how good it was, now everyone's claiminig it's superhuman and cheats :(

On the resetting game thing, I hate doing it but sometimes it leaves you no choice. In PES2011 I spent over a month playing a complete season, the league title went down to the final match, and I drew thanks to a late equalising goal that was caused by player switching issues. Nothing I could do about it. The late goal cost me the league title, so I switched it off and replayed. Ruined the immersion completely, but I wasn't having the game take all that play time away from me by screwing up which players I could control when the AI scored, and was the only reason it scored in the first place.

Don't get the wrong idea, people are complaining about one specific area of AI programming that is their ott usage of skills and incredible ball cantrol on TP difficulty.

Otherwise AI this is year is so much better then previous years, teammate and opposition.

I'm guessing that some come on and rant just after they've lost a few games. The AI dribbling is not an issue for me, I learnt to defend against it during the demo. What irks me are situations where the game does something contrary to my input
(like slowing my player down so the CPU can get a loose ball)
or in really rare cases just flat out changing ball physics/player collision models.

To be honest though these 'issues' have been present since the PS2 era, so if you haven't noticed them before, you probably won't start seeing them now.

True, what is so annoying is that the cpu usually scores during these scenario's. If they would just get chances and missed them more often everyone would be ok. But since the AI is uber-clinical it gets on 'our' nerves. Know what i mean right?

I've had some matches lately where all the AI cheats (loose balls, scrimmages always in my favor, blatant pushes and double teams were not fouled, every ball literally got vacuumed into my space or players.. you name it LOL) were happening on my end, and i was actually mumbling to myself about the AI not standing a chance vs me.

Noticed also that i concede a lot less of those cheap cross goals by the AI, it's best to play the defender in the box than to block the cross otherwise.. you know what will happen.
Usually in older pes games you could just try and block the cross and then the AI usually did the rest as in positioning and going for the header. Now you're usually a split-second too late and you try to head but he doesn't jump or whiffs. If you're the defender and still get beat you at least gave it a legit shot at clearing it.
Of course your opponent should 'never' get a cross in, but the AI will always find a way so when it happens use secondary press for the defender to attempt to block the cross and switch with R3/Right analog to a defender in the box.

I've been playing a stand-alone Champions League tournament with AS Roma on Top Player. Also, I've had around 5 exhibition matches and began a Spanish league with Valencia, got 3 games in.

I haven't seen the AI going into full on overdrive more than one move a match. The rest of the time it's just close matches with both sides having chances, enjoyable win or lose. The odd battering of me (away at Man Utd) or the odd crushing win (at home to Villareal). Seems to be a major problem only when deep into Master League, personally.

Anyway, I'm giving my ML save a rest for now and may start a different one with a different team later or tomorrow.

I don't have any problems being outplayed by the CPU. In the matter of fact I enjoy getting beat in those sports videogames because I usually have it my way so easily even on the hardest settings and then I get bored of the game.

But in ML it's not a matter of being outplayed. There's no way I'm accepting a 60 OVR opponent AI player holding off Palmieri (which is around 70) like he's Ibrahimovic and dribbling through my defense like he's Messi, and quite honestly, that's the only way the CPU opens up space and scores - by quick passing/one-twos and unrealistic dribbling.

Also, I always hold up play with R2 + X and never go in for the tackle, and even when i'm not pressing square, a teammate of mine comes in and tackles a fella just outside the area. I'm not playing on assisted settings either, and everytime this happens, the CPU scores from the following freekick. That's suspicious.

I don't have any problems being outplayed by the CPU. In the matter of fact I enjoy getting beat in those sports videogames because I usually have it my way so easily even on the hardest settings and then I get bored of the game.

But in ML it's not a matter of being outplayed. There's no way I'm accepting a 60 OVR opponent AI player holding off Palmieri (which is around 70) like he's Ibrahimovic and dribbling through my defense like he's Messi, and quite honestly, that's the only way the CPU opens up space and scores - by quick passing/one-twos and unrealistic dribbling.

Also, I always hold up play with R2 + X and never go in for the tackle, and even when i'm not pressing square, a teammate of mine comes in and tackles a fella just outside the area. I'm not playing on assisted settings either, and everytime this happens, the CPU scores from the following freekick. That's suspicious.

Just use r2+x if you want to block him for a cross or a shot otherwise just use r1/r2 on and off or both at the same time. Works a lot better. CPU reads your inputs AND there's no point in using X unless you want to stick out your leg (tackle) and you rarely want to do that. Make those tackles if you need to break down their attack or man on the ball. Usually make tackles when you're down on man in the back or totally out of position. If you got a lot of men in the back/midfield there's absolutely no use to use R2+X. And use secondary press (not hold!) intuitively to cut off the right leg or passing lane (or key player that could receive the ball).
For free kicks move the goalie and/or extend the wall. All these little things help quite a lot.

Dont misunderstand the situation, the AI is so much better than previous games, when playing exibition I enjoy it, the problem is the blatant cheating in ML, i dont expect to win every games, if I make a mistake and AI takes advantage of it to score I wont have a problem, but like someone else said it is like every players controlled by AI become messi whatever the original rating

OK, I'll accept that AI players may all have their Messi moments every match, but AI cheating using my own players is freaking retards. Besides the obvious keepers, there are many moments I see my defenders deliberately run away from the ball, allow space in the box for AI players, and score own goal like a world class striker.

Cheating happens, you should expect it really since video games are just programs following commands, the CPU is no match for you regularly if it didn't 'cheat'.

Some of the cheating is unnecessary i agree, in this game at times it goes go over the top (mainly on certain settings like -1 speed, and on professional), however the biggest thing is when the game starts 'cheating' for you, funny how nobody notices it.

I mean i played a game with Braga, vs Porto which i won 2-0, Porto missed two easy 1 on 1 chances, they hit the bar, they had a really harsh penalty given against them, and they also had more possession and played better but i still won 2-0. I mean someone above said they where playing a 'sound game'. Maybe the AI was going easy on you?

I mean, it goes both ways, it's not really cheating in book, it's a very severe momentum system really.

So when it comes to the cheating, or as i call it momentum. Notice when the AI have matches where they try everything but get beaten by the odd goal against you. it goes both ways :)

You will be surprised just how many players this year have good dribbling stats, many 60 rated players even. :)

Just make sure when a player 'cheats' on you with dribbling his stats are total dogshit to prove the theory.

Last edited:
I don't understand what people are saying that the AI cheats against you and for you? Does that mean the result is decided before you kick off? As much as I find fault with this game I do still buy it every year, this is down to me being a long term fan, but have regretted it since 08. I'm not sure I like this cheating business people are on about

This whole momentum/cheating is bit of a double-edged sword with me, I tend to accept how the game plays out for what it is. You cannot blame the CPU for so-called 'cheating' then in the very same breath claim that the CPU 'cheated' in your favour. It's called the flow of the game. Sure, you may feel that when the CPU strings 5 passes together then scores, it was pre-determined. But then anyone who has played football at any level in real-life could say exactly the same thing. How did the Bayern players feel when Man Utd scored two goals in the last 2 minutes to win the CL Cup. Or how did the Greeks feel when Becks scored that Free-kick for England to draw the game in the 93rd minute to take us to the World Cup. Where those moments scripted ? Hell no. It's just football. This is the reason I never truly feel cheated, it's the nature of the game. And it can feel brutal at times, but it is what it is. PES looks to replicate the highs and lows, the peaks and troughs of the sport. With that in mind, we should not be suprised when PES throws up these moments.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom