PES 2011 Wii

Re: PES 2011 Discussion thread

Just got my hands on PES 2011 Wii. I'm loving it to bits. Very responsive (just like it always was), great pace, defending much better, more GK animations, better ball swerve, better animations even though it is last gen, ball physics feel good plus ball speed, graphics aren't this gen but we all know that, shooting feels different to this gen's and varied.

Anyone here with a Wii, I really recommend you get a copy and give it a shot. Pretty sure you get it for cheap now. Totally worth it imo.

Fifa can learn a thing or two from this game. The flow of the game is just lovely.

I said this on my (now dead) blog, it is an amazing game, hope the dev team can make their version on the new Wii console.

Best game since 5.

I said this on my (now dead) blog, it is an amazing game, hope the dev team can make their version on the new Wii console.

Best game since 5.

How long you been playing it for Darth?

How long you been playing it for Darth?

Since xmas, haven't been on it for 6 weeks though due to other stuff going on, new job etc.

But managed around 6 seasons of ML so far, the transfer system is realistic and excellent, even after winning CL twice Messi, Ronaldo etc still turned me down.

The wii version is very good, fun and has a good varity in scoring. The game is really hard against the best teams and the player individuality is great. Its a bit fast and the passing is sometimes to assisted. I have a problem finding fair players online. I always come up against Barca, Real or United.

Since xmas, haven't been on it for 6 weeks though due to other stuff going on, new job etc.

But managed around 6 seasons of ML so far, the transfer system is realistic and excellent, even after winning CL twice Messi, Ronaldo etc still turned me down.
I've just started mine with ML players and lost my first 2 games. I need to get my formation and game right to start picking up points.

Good luck with your new job mate.

The wii version is very good, fun and has a good varity in scoring. The game is really hard against the best teams and the player individuality is great. Its a bit fast and the passing is sometimes to assisted. I have a problem finding fair players online. I always come up against Barca, Real or United.

I haven't tried online yet and tbh I don't think I will. Wouldn't want them idiots ruining my mood.

Good to know I ain't alone in this though, guys :D

Cheers Lami, it is very tough at first, took me 3 seasons to win the league and Champions League, you look forward to playing the best teams more than the mdtable sides because the better teams attack leaving more space, the average teams stay rigid unless you break them down early.

Started a game as Barca with Espimas and company and its a decent challenge, must try to resist buying someone like Agbonlahor though as his pace is too powerful but sometimes when you are getting beat and need a result you cant help but pass it to him loads.

For Lami and others, my write up of Wii 2011

Ok, so far over the past year I have spent close to a thousand pounds on Pro Evolution Soccer, starting last year with the Wii version of Blue Samurai, mostly excellent let down by the poor keepers, then the trip to London, trains, overnight stay, nice food etc just for four hours play with a game I was already in the Master League Online beta, then the Playstation*plus subscription to play the demo, the preorder of the 360 version I still kept and now this past week the purchase of a Nintendo 3DS which was impossible to ignore due to a new PES game on that format.
However on Christmas eve 2010 my prayers for a classic version of the beautiful game were answered but it was not so apparent at first.

Now for me this game is not about playing with a wiimote, somersaulting across your room like an idiot so I also invested in the Classic Controller Pro.

So you load it up, it is underwhelming, as I got to find out the same songs play in the same order each time you load, simple menu screen, cannot change buttons on the controller either, I usually map the slide tackle button to the shoot button so this was a major change after years for me to adapt to.

My first task as always is to go straight into an exhibition game using Merseyside Blue, game starts up, its pretty dull and ugly, PS2 graphics made for the widescreen era, it’s a*tough adjustment to play this again after the next-gen*versions, the game kicks off, it is too familiar and I thought I made a mistake in buying this, I mean I played this game to death for years and I have just wasted money on something I can play in hi-res with authentic patch on my PC, so played a few dull games and it just took my enthusiasm away, mainly 0-0 draws.

So thought I would start a Master League on Top Player to try to find out if it had any tricks up its sleeve, initially after 5 games I bottom of the league, could not score, conceded silly goals from corners, very frustrating, but then it occurred to me, this is more like the old days except I had not learned this game yet.

Now to be honest the reason I held off so long in buying this game was the issue that has blighted the series on the Wii console, the goalkeepers, I assumed they dumbed the keepers down to compensate for the difficult control scheme they had introduced with the wiimote*and nunchuk*method, like it was tough enough to even reach the goal in the first place so your reward for this was an easy goal, so anyway, I read reviews on metacritic, there was only around 6 reviews and nothing mentioned the keepers, the forum buzz was non-existent at the time, so it was a risk and one I am glad I took. For me the highlight*of keeper ability was PES6, to my surprise they are on that level, it is incredible what improving this one area has done for the game on wii.

Another thing is the general AI, the opposition never give you anything easy, they seem to be aware of the passing lanes and stand in the way, you will struggle to put some moves together until you make the space for yourself, they have a good but not overbearing physicality and they seem to just be constantly aware of their positioning, you never see anyone just standing still, they are looking to pick up players or closing you down, it is frustrating at first, no, you are rubbish at first, the fact that every player just feels unique, whether it be how comfortable they control on the ball, how heavy they feel, what range of passing they can do, so you need to get to know your team’s strengths more than the oppositions weakness at times.

As the season progresses the game seem to reward you by opening up and almost in a weird way unlocking more randomness in the games, animations in the passing and shots you have not seen before, the way the games flow for you and against you just add to the tension, you never feel safe at 2-0 up, even against the lesser teams, I actually find a West Brom harder to play against than a Man Utd, as they keep things tighter and hope for a set piece, whereas the better teams attack you more and leave space.

A massive mention has to be the transfer system, it is the same as the older games but more strict on what you can buy, I was critical of the 360/PS3 versions for having a scout decide who comes to you rather than team prestige, on this even after winning the Champions League twice I still could not buy a Ronaldo*or Messi, I was only 14th in the Team Ranking, it has to be like this in the next gen*versions, it is realistic and makes you think about who is more suited to your team style, for example I have Fellaini*in midfield, his stats are not great but he is a wonderful strong player who can bulldoze into challenges and win the ball more, I cannot replace him with a smaller flair player as my team style would not be as effective.

Another thing which I did not like about previous Wii versions was the auto zoom of the camera as you got towards the goal, here it sits back as normal, showing you the full picture.

If I was to sum up when I knew this game was so special was when I thought my console was dying, unemployed I was trying to figure out how to afford a new console just for this game, thankfully it turned out to be the channel on my amplifier that was at fault so I just moved it onto another channel.

Now amidst all the positivity it does have some issues, one being when running onto a loose ball if you press pass the player will not make an effort to pass it, he has to control it first before you press the pass button.
Another issue is something which I believe is prevalent in almost every sports game but no less infuriating, some call it scripting, some call it superhuman AI, I call it a lot worse when it happens which is the unstoppable goals, you just know when the AI is going to score and you cannot stop it, usually off a corner which is where I think the majority of goals come from but it is the sheer feeling of being cheated, like your man is a ghost who looked favourite to win the ball, same happens for reaction times during stumbles and panic in the box, your player just does not seem to respond to button presses at times, leading to a goal for the AI, in real life this can happen but I sometimes think sports game can find a little more subtlety in finding a way to break you down.

Edit mode fans will not be happy, you can do everything you like to your own game but Nintendo will not allow SD card use on this to import an option file, there may be a way to do this if your console has been compromised but not sure.
Also you can only ever have one Master League game running on the console, you overwrite your old ML game if starting new.

In summary I was over the top with my write ups after the*four hours in London and then a week with the 360/PS3 versions at home, they have their good moments but to me are too exploitable, this game however has had around 300 games and over four seasons played on Master League which is obviously why the review is four months late, for me it is the natural successor to PES6, albeit a little worse looking if coming from PC, its the*same type of game with AI improvements, 360 dribbling and the randomness that can amaze even in a 0-0, I did find it a little easy after four seasons with the team of great players I built up, but the beauty is you still have your Master League default players to then turn into world beaters, something I am enjoying now.

For Lami and others, my write up of Wii 2011

Good read Darth. About sums up my experience so far as well. Although I don't get why we can't edit controls on the Wii despite having it in all the PESs and WEs on PS2, PS3, and 360. I'm finding it a bit annoying to adapt to the controls but I guess I'll get used to it.

About the AI cheat, its almost inevitable. You know the tables will turn at some point and you try your best to stop it, to no avail. I do wish they find other ways too.

I also prefer the keepers, much more one arm stretch saves and 1-1 saves too.

Good read Darth. About sums up my experience so far as well. Although I don't get why we can't edit controls on the Wii despite having it in all the PESs and WEs on PS2, PS3, and 360. I'm finding it a bit annoying to adapt to the controls but I guess I'll get used to it.

About the AI cheat, its almost inevitable. You know the tables will turn at some point and you try your best to stop it, to no avail. I do wish they find other ways too.

I also prefer the keepers, much more one arm stretch saves and 1-1 saves too.

I was back on it last night, struggling along with my team of crap, got some great goals saved in the gallery though so will try and get them uploaded at some point.

I was back on it last night, struggling along with my team of crap, got some great goals saved in the gallery though so will try and get them uploaded at some point.

Forgot to mention something REALLY important. Stamina is MUCH better than on the PS3/360. It plays according to who moves more on the pitch, unlike PS3/360 where at about 60-70mins everyone is on a red.

Forgot to mention something REALLY important. Stamina is MUCH better than on the PS3/360. It plays according to who moves more on the pitch, unlike PS3/360 where at about 60-70mins everyone is on a red.

Yep, stops the urge to sprint as much, but not unrealistic as having to always change my team of no hopers.

Such a shame this team never worked on the PC version.

Here's a goal I scored an hour ago in my Copa Libertadores groups stage, me being Corinthians v Independiente Medellin. It felt so good scoring this as I haven't scored anything like it for so long. Even though it was heading straight at the keeper, it was so powerful he couldn't stand a chance. Sorry about the quality, phone cam.

YouTube - PES 2011 Wii goal powerful shot

Game looks pretty good from that vid to be honest. How are the ball physics on the Wii version? I find it really odd that Konami bring out basically different versions of the game on different formats, but my housemate has a Wii so if the game is more enjoyable than the PS3 etc then it may be worth a look.

On a different note, a similar game to PES6 is the 3DS version. Switch the cam to wide, and it's bascially PES6 in handheld form, which hasn't aged that well but somehow still feels more fun than the more advanced PS3/360 versions. Somehow the ball physics on the handheld version feel better than the console versions, which doesn't make any sense at all.

Game looks pretty good from that vid to be honest. How are the ball physics on the Wii version? I find it really odd that Konami bring out basically different versions of the game on different formats, but my housemate has a Wii so if the game is more enjoyable than the PS3 etc then it may be worth a look.

Ball physics are good imo. Try renting it first mate just in case.

On a different note, a similar game to PES6 is the 3DS version. Switch the cam to wide, and it's bascially PES6 in handheld form, which hasn't aged that well but somehow still feels more fun than the more advanced PS3/360 versions. Somehow the ball physics on the handheld version feel better than the console versions, which doesn't make any sense at all.

Not a fan of the 3ds version I must admit, just feels too constrained and a bit too fast and clunky.

But if you never played the wii version I can see why you would like it I suppose.

Any option files for the Wii version of Pes2011?

It's the best version by far. Way better than PS3 or 360 versions.

That's what I think as well. I'm pretty much enjoying this and stopped playing the PS3 version. Wish we had OFs of some sort but it doesn't look like it.

Well I've been playing this for a few days and it is quite good. Lobs seem pretty useless and chipped through balls never seem to beat the last defender. Goalkeepers are also too prone to fumbling the ball in front of goal. That said, it's much better than the PS3 version.

Yea. They still do fumble the ball just like the PS3 and 360 versions but they still parry away more imo. Dribbling feels great here. You can be very intuitive and spontaneous again with simple touches, specially with good dribblers. Much prefer the stamina on this one as well.

Agreed on both those points. I figured out the lobs, by the way. My problem was that they were too direct and not lofted enough, but then I remember that R2 modifies them to make them lofted. They still feel hard to aim but that should improve with practice.

only thing i hate so far are the bubble head lineup screens, everything else is very old school and balanced.

I actually like that, only for a change though :D

EDIT: I've noticed you're playing ML already. I've yet to start one. I've already finished Copa Libertadores with Corinthians and planning on playing CL now.

Are they still using points in ML or is it real currency?

EDIT: Actually I did start my ML career soon as I got it and totally forgot about it :LOL: I didn't get to check out the transfer side of it though.

EDIT: I've copied about 16 posts from the PS3/360 thread that are Wii related, just in case anyone wants to read our impressions. They can be found from post #30 onwards.

Last edited:
Can anyone give me a quick quide or a few tips for crossing? I'm abysmal at it in this version, I rarely find anyone in the box, and if I do it's not the man I'm aiming for! Also, is there no way to bring defenders up for set pieces?

Hi guys.I am a Pes 2011 Wii user too.I just read the messages you send and ı totally agree with you.Pes 2011 Wii is way better than the x360 and ps3 pes'.I have Next-Gen pes but ı 've playing pes on wii since the day it comes.More realistic and more importantly for me,it looks like the pes 6 and an advanced version of it.I love it...

playing a CL-campaign with inter...important second to last group match against lyon....subbed in my reserve-keeper as a replacement for the injured milito (i think)...this happened 2 minutes later, totally out of the blue. went on to win it in the 90th minute with another goal from a sub...i love this game, fucking do. good old pes with current data and in wide-screen...bring on pes 2012 wii :APPLAUD:

YouTube - Castelazzi Goal Inter vs. Lyon PES 2011 WII

YouTube - Castelazzi Goal Inter vs. Lyon PES 2011 WII

i really do. if only it was editable. i'd be back in kit-making business in no time...;)

Back
Top Bottom