PES 2008 (PS3) - Official Topic

Gerd, from what i understand, FIFA is better on the 360 than on PS3 (i think). I'm buying both (FIFA on 360) as i actually feel the need to check it out. However, i have always preferred the "look" and "feel" of PES (players, goalposts, ball physics etc).

I will buy both too Prof...although on PS3...
I think you made the right console choice...a would have liked to play online against you (both PES and FIFA)...pity...but maybe one day it will be possible to play online PS3 against XBox 360...
I have a feeling that both console and games from Microsoft are for the hardcore gamers and the PS3 and quite a few games more for gamers like me who are not that good...so maybe after all i've made the right choice.
If only PES had FIFA's management mode...and it's not only about the licenses..it's possible to have a decent manager mode without licenses...i guess it's Japanese stubborness.

Placebo, i'm not in the best place to talk about the games since i haven't played any of both (i assume you played both???).
But there is one thing you'll have to explain to me...why is PES the game all the professional players prefer??? Because Ronaldinho maybe on the cover of FIFA, but he sure as hell played PES6 last year...there are loads of pictures of the Brazilian tezm playing Pro Evo tournaments, just like the Chelsea players and Thiery Henry????
I keep an open mind and i will buy both games, but IMHO you are rather biased and your pleas for FIFA are not justifued since you clearly haven't played PES2008...
I have played quite a lot of football and PES feels like the real thing. Now having seen FIFA movies i've the impression that FIFA is very realistic too...

I've played both and in no way, shape or form is PES2008 an accurate, realistic, simulation of football, it's a fun, frenzied arcade game, maybe that's why professionals like it, because it's a simple, pick up and play game that you can challenge your team mates to and play some quick, casual matches.......

I will buy both too Prof...although on PS3...
I think you made the right console choice...a would have liked to play online against you (both PES and FIFA)...pity...but maybe one day it will be possible to play online PS3 against XBox 360...
I have a feeling that both console and games from Microsoft are for the hardcore gamers and the PS3 and quite a few games more for gamers like me who are not that good...so maybe after all i've made the right choice.
If only PES had FIFA's management mode...and it's not only about the licenses..it's possible to have a decent manager mode without licenses...i guess it's Japanese stubborness.

Gerd, to be honest both the PS3 and 360 are more than i need. I just want a games console (like the Wii model, for example). I don't need a Blu Ray player, i don't need another DVD player, i don't play online (can't be bothered to look into it for the 360) (although i would play you Gerd - we could both use the default ML players, lol), i don't need faceplates for my console, i don't need a "gamertag" to log me into my console...etc etc, you get the idea. Call me old fashioned perhaps, but i just want to play a game ;)
I got a 360 as it is reasonably priced compared to the PS3, as i wanted to play "next gen" PES. The 360 is terribly noisy though (which is why i call it the noiseBOX 360). The 360 really makes me appreciate my 'whisper silent' silver PS2. Having said that, Forza Motorsport is a great game (360's Gran Turismo).

Last edited:
I've played both and in no way, shape or form is PES2008 an accurate, realistic, simulation of football, it's a fun, frenzied arcade game, maybe that's why professionals like it, because it's a simple, pick up and play game that you can challenge your team mates to and play some quick, casual matches.......

You are one funny guy.

Totally agree. After 5 years playing the same game, this year I'm trying FIFA, will be a good wave of fresh air, because, let's be honest with ourselves: pes 2008 is pes 6 with very minor tweaks. Passing, shooting, general positioning and the lack of a convincing physics engine, the cheats and the scriptedness of events... it's all the same! After some hours in my friend's house, we are playing the demo of fifa instead of the pes one. That doesn't mean the game is worst, simply it's the same, and FIFA it's a very very good game, also, more slow paced, and a tad more realistic to my taste, while pes seems more like a fast end to end action, 2 passes and shoot, and that's it, so there's not much depth into the gameplay at the end of the day.

Prof...i meant that i will buy both games.
Not both consoles...i'll stick with the PS3, knowing that the other one would have been a better choice. But ypou can't win them all i suppose.

Prof...i meant that i will buy both games.
Not both consoles...i'll stick with the PS3, knowing that the other one would have been a better choice. But ypou can't win them all i suppose.

Don't worry gerd, i know that's what you meant. I was just waffling on ;) I think in the long run the PS3 is a better choice though.

Never gets boring? As someone who only plays ML I can tell you it gets very boring very quickly, a 30 league career mode with promotion, relegation, winning trophies, qualifying for europe, moving jobs, that's what a game needs to not get boring......

Totally agree - if this was implemented in the same way it was with Sensible World of Soccer I would NEVER get bored!!

OPM is not the standart for reviews and gamescoring, i will see what Gamepro says, overall it seems to be the first consoleseller Game for the PS3 but otherwise i dont believe that it will be otherwise on the 360 who is cheaper! why buying a PS3???

Can anyone who's read the review in OPM confirm whether you can play 2 vs 2 online or whether it's gone back to 1 vs 1 only like last years 360 version :(

every years the comments...can people takes time to play and use tactics before freaking me out please...
i also use to joke my xbox360players friends with the differences we would find between the 360 and the ps3 version...i'm about to think that it will be real, so i just wait the ps3 version to make my point.

Back
Top Bottom