Operation Flashpoint 2 Xbox 360, PS3 and PC

Lol at placebo only posting negative things in this thread (apart from the one about the mission in the first game). Hahaha
This game has a great chance of being rubbish just like far cry 2.

why do i compare it with far cry 2? because the original developers of both games did not work on these sequals.

This game has a great chance of being rubbish just like far cry 2.

why do i compare it with far cry 2? because the original developers of both games did not work on these sequals.

FC2 could have been great, the engine is superb, unfortunately the game design was just terribly poor.

OF on pc is one of my all-time favourite games - years ahead of itself. i remember being blown away by the sheer scale and size of the game, and the fact you could just about do pretty much anything you wanted... (props to placebo for whatever roll he played in designing that little gem)

i hope this lives upto the hype...

You should play Arma 2 then Spunk, that's had the original developers working on it, and from what I've played it definitely lives up to the hype. OF, sadly, is created by a totally different team.

i was just checking out the thread... has it been released yet or was it just the demo people were referring to?

i prefer to play fps games using a keyboard and mouse, so would prefer the pc version...

i was just checking out the thread... has it been released yet or was it just the demo people were referring to?

i prefer to play fps games using a keyboard and mouse, so would prefer the pc version...

Yeah according to Amazon.co.uk it's been released: http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B001QCYA2A/ilotr01-21?gclid=COOuvIDUqpsCFVkA4wodeBiopw

I think most people were trying the demo to see whether it will be playable on their PC. This game is a beast so you really need a decent PC to get the most out of it.

Yeah according to Amazon.co.uk it's been released: http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B001QCYA2A/ilotr01-21?gclid=COOuvIDUqpsCFVkA4wodeBiopw

I think most people were trying the demo to see whether it will be playable on their PC. This game is a beast so you really need a decent PC to get the most out of it.

You need a decent PC to get anything out of it, let alone the most. It's also fundamentally broken at the moment and needs several months of patching to remove bugs like the AI running over team mates, trying to land helicopters in trees and exploding, squadmates standing still and ignoring you, enemy AI seeing and shooting you despite hiding behind massive shrubbery, objectives becoming impossible to complete, artillery and support teams disappearing, etc.

You need a decent PC to get anything out of it, let alone the most. It's also fundamentally broken at the moment and needs several months of patching to remove bugs like the AI running over team mates, trying to land helicopters in trees and exploding, squadmates standing still and ignoring you, enemy AI seeing and shooting you despite hiding behind massive shrubbery, objectives becoming impossible to complete, artillery and support teams disappearing, etc.

avoid SP campaign and just play it online. most of the bugs you just mentioned are none existent online

But that defeats half of the game then.

not really. more like a 1/4 of the game mate. this game shines through MP and through the mission editor that can be used online. Toss in the fact that mods will come out and make this game 100 times better as well

1/4 if you mainly care about online multiplayer but I value Single player and Multiplayer as 50/50. SP usually offers a story driven plot and lets you learn how to play the game and then when you're ready you head online where the longevity kicks in.

Despite the fact I can't get arma2 to run, if I could I would be spending all of my time playing the SP campaign until I felt confident enough to go online. I hate going online into games after doing a quick tutorial and then spotting that people are killing me with tricks they've learnt through the SP campaigns later missions.

Rad, atm most people play this game online together againts the AI ie coop. its a great way to learn the game together with other noobs/experts in this game.

There are hardly any PVP servers around atm as people like me and you are trying to learn the ins and outs of this game.

You can also create your own story via the mission editor and play that on your own if you like but then again the ai bugs could still be present atm.

Rad, atm most people play this game online together againts the AI ie coop. its a great way to learn the game together with other noobs/experts in this game.

Which if as buggy as romagnoli says means that for me nearly the whole game is broken. If the solo campaign is buggy then you turn to the online. But you say that most people are playing co-op vs the AI. So I'll just have ended up running into the same bugs online but the only difference being other people can complete the objectives instead of me.

Which if as buggy as romagnoli says means that for me nearly the whole game is broken. If the solo campaign is buggy then you turn to the online. But you say that most people are playing co-op vs the AI. So I'll just have ended up running into the same bugs online but the only difference being other people can complete the objectives instead of me.

yes that could be true, however from my experience of playing online so far(3-4hours worth on diff servers) i have not experience many bugs at all. the only bug i have experienced is that sometimes the choppers are broken/bugged where people cant get on it for some reason.

other then that everything seems fine, missions are not broken and gets completed unlike some SP missions that i have been hearing but to be honest mate, i have not noticed many bugs in this game.

to me its certainly worth £25. the replay value is huuuge, gameplay is excellent and BIS are known for patching up games instead of leaving it to dry out like most game companies do nowadays.

1/4 if you mainly care about online multiplayer but I value Single player and Multiplayer as 50/50. SP usually offers a story driven plot and lets you learn how to play the game and then when you're ready you head online where the longevity kicks in.

Completely agree with Rad here. I buy my games mainly for SP gaming. Except sports games of course. MP comes 2nd after SP for me.

patch 1.02 has fixed many issues with SP. head up to the arma 2 forum and see whats still broken or not.

to me its certainly worth £25. the replay value is huuuge, gameplay is excellent and BIS are known for patching up games instead of leaving it to dry out like most game companies do nowadays.

Except they set the minimum specs so high I can't even run the game and they don't seem to be making a PS3 version so Codies game has to be where I look next no matter how arcadey, dumbed down or how many original members no longer work there.

Hearing about single player bugs where most of my fun would have come for does nothing to encourage me to upgrade my pc just to play this. And if I get a huge craving for an online multiplayer game then I'll just wait for battlefield 1943 in 2 weeks for a tenner.

Except they set the minimum specs so high I can't even run the game and they don't seem to be making a PS3 version so Codies game has to be where I look next no matter how arcadey, dumbed down or how many original members no longer work there.

Hearing about single player bugs where most of my fun would have come for does nothing to encourage me to upgrade my pc just to play this. And if I get a huge craving for an online multiplayer game then I'll just wait for battlefield 1943 in 2 weeks for a tenner.

This is a pc game. This is what pc games are all about. pushing hardware and giving a reason for ATI and Nvidia to produce more powerful graphics cards that can one day be used on your next console by sony or MS. dont forget, the GPU thats inside your sony ps3 is a 7800gtx card or an equivalent by Nvidia themselves. You cant expect most current gen games to be played on a bog standard pc man.

its not BIS fault you cant run it so that should not be a reason to not like this game. however, for bugs yes thats a valid reason to avoid it on but again have you read on the BIS forums because like i said before, the new patch fixed alot of issues in campaign mode.

Back on topic, you do know this as well has bf 1943 is coming out on the pc so there are 2 other games you can get on your pc(a upgraded pc of yours) and lets face it, both will play better(on a mouse and keyboard) and will look better on a pc too ;)

in my view, if i was in your situation where i didn't have a pc to run arma 2, wouldn't waste my money on the alternatives. i mean why play a game thats could potentially be a watered down arcade style version then the one i really want to play?

if OPF2 is nearly as good as arma 2 if not better then yea i would get that but i certainly would not buy it just for the sake of having a semi realism war simulator

Arma 2 might come out on the 360 so why not buy a 360 as it could be cheaper then upgrading your pc?

Last edited:
its not BIS fault you cant run it so that should not be a reason to not like this game.

I never said I don't like the game because it doesn't run. I said the bugs brought to my attention hardly make me want to rush out and upgrade my pc to play this 1 and only game. Every other pc game I have supports the latest and best graphics cards but still also supports cards slightly outdated. PC gaming in your words may be about pushing graphics forward and seeing what new things can be done but I'm pretty sure ahead of that goal is 'making money'. Which I'd imagine would be best achieved by supporting as many pc specs as possible and making the best game you can. I'm disappointed ArmA2 doesn't run anywhere near playable but I don't dislike the game because of that, I just won't buy it.

Back on topic, you do know this as well has bf 1943 is coming out on the pc so there are 2 other games you can get on your pc(a upgraded pc of yours) and lets face it, both will play better(on a mouse and keyboard) and will look better on a pc too ;)

I heard the PC date is September 09 for the PC version. I don't really want to wait that long when I can pick it up on the ps3 and get some trophies and play with friends on my friends list who the majority of will pick up the console versions. Even if they come out at the same time I'd still pick up the console version just because that appeals to me the most.

in my view, if i was in your situation where i didn't have a pc to run arma 2, wouldn't waste my money on the alternatives. i mean why play a game thats could potentially be a watered down arcade style version then the one i really want to play?

Well I can't even play arm2 to see if I'd like it or not. So I can't say for sure that Arm2 is THE game I want head and shoulders above everything else. It looks good but looks aren't everything, just ask Killzone 2. Looks great in the graphics and looks like it could be tons of fun but it controls like you're swimming in custard.

if OPF2 is nearly as good as arma 2 if not better then yea i would get that but i certainly would not buy it just for the sake of having a semi realism war simulator

I wouldn't buy OF2 just for the sake of having a 'realistic war game'. Their is the pretentious notion that anything that is not a "realistic war simulator game" is 'dumbed down arcadey shit for morons'. I'm not trying to look down on anyone or try to shit on people who are loving Arma 2 and bring them down a peg. Providing I managed to play a demo or rented it and liked OF2 I would buy it. Just because I like shooter games of all kinds. I can't get Arm2 to run so what's the closet thing that I CAN run? This game, so that's where my attention turns.

Arma 2 might come out on the 360 so why not buy a 360 as it could be cheaper then upgrading your pc?

It's still £80 or whatever the console could be bought for that I could spend on 2 or 3 games instead. But If I was going to buy a 360 again I'd wait for the new models in a year or 2 if they are coming and by that time Arma 2 will be old news.

Last edited:
Get out of here with your Arma talk you thread hijackers

You tell em, fucking amateur forum users :(

But the discussion is still relevant as they both have a history with each other, and OF2 is mentioned, so what's the problem? I didn't realise comparing games with each other was banned in any discussion thread, unless totally off topic...

Actually my comment was tongue in cheek, but meh ;)

But the discussion is still relevant as they both have a history with each other, and OF2 is mentioned, so what's the problem? I didn't realise comparing games with each other was banned in any discussion thread, unless totally off topic...

Err no they don't have any history with each other, Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising bears no relation at all to ArmA2, nor does it bear any relation to Operation Flashpoint from 2001, besides the name "Operation Flashpoint", it's not a sequel, it cannot emulate the gameplay and elements of the 2001 game as everything of the 2001 game is owned by Bohemia Interactive, besides the name.

OK, fair enough, but you know what I'm getting at. There is a link, be it a name or whatever, and it is still going to be spoken about in the same breath as the original Operation Flashpoint, and the developers back then. Arma 2 is then bound to be compared being the main competitor in military/army simulation, and being coincidently created by the same developers.

Now this is getting off topic :(.

Last edited:
OK, fair enough, but you know what I'm getting at. There is a link, be it a name or whatever, and it is still going to be spoken about in the same breath as the original Operation Flashpoint, and the developers back then. Arma 2 is then bound to be compared being the main competitor in military/army simulation, and being coincidently created by the same developers.

Now this is getting off topic :(.
exactly. there is still a link between the two and nothing wrong with comparing them unless there is now a new forum rule stating we cant ;)

Codemasters still published OFP1 though so there is still a bit of history between the two

Back
Top Bottom