Operation Flashpoint 2 Xbox 360, PS3 and PC

I'll be up for it... and i am going to whisper in the headset for authenticity... ..We dont wanna be heard you see...:-)

also i will be falsly identifying the enemy... " Down, Down, Down..HIT THE GROUND!!!... 300 yards, North.........oh...its ok...just a sheep.."

I love playing army..

I believe it is first person only, although if you're in a vehicle you have the option to switch to an external camera.

Reviews and impressions aren't sounding as good as I hoped.

Three important quotes from that Videogamer review:

Your movement is far more restricted than in many other military sims - if you wander too far from the action, you'll fail the level - but the missions themselves are generally very well thought-out.

You can work through the entire campaign with up to three other mates, or just attempt one of the eleven missions; the game will force you to stay within 275m of each other - so you can't snipe while a chum rushes a village

the PC version supports 16 versus 16 matches, while consoles get four versus four matches with each player supported by three AI troops

Rubbish.

Reviews and impressions aren't sounding as good as I hoped.

You can work through the entire campaign with up to three other mates, or just attempt one of the eleven missions; the game will force you to stay within 275m of each other - so you can't snipe while a chum rushes a village

Rubbish.
WTF, that's standard military tactics... :RANT:

shopto text me saying mine shipped so that means tomorrow really. should have it on thursday. :)

WTF, that's standard military tactics... :RANT:

Will be waiting and seeing on that one.. there are alot of things turned on in normal mode that are no there in hardcore mode... that might be one of them.

Mine was sent today so hopefully have it Thursday too..

I received a promo copy in the post today but I cant find my Xbox 360 now! Will post some impressions later tonight. Also im getting it on Friday for PS3. :)

Some impressions from someone who's played it:

First of all..its hard to believe this game is running off a modified Dirt2 Rally engine...this game was specifically developed for 360 hardware in mind and it clearly shows. Its massive in size, its beautiful to look at and most important of all..its atmosphere and gameplay elements are top notch..dont go by what reviewers say all the time because you yourself are the only true judge of a game athough this game will be getting good reviews, i can already tell but..this game isnt for everyone and even game reviewers can be biased sometimes if they happen to be more of a COD (run&gun) gamer or are use to other traditional ways FPS's are. Iv'e already seen a few hardcore COD guys bash this game..go figure.

I have decided to stick with the 360 version because i hear the pc version has no kind of graphical enhancements (bummer)..it only has higher resolutions and AA settings which to me defeats the purpose of going with the pc version if you have a 360 with xbox live and good gamepad layout which this game does..read more about this below...but on live, you can play 7 player co-op i believe which is big thing to me because i LOVE co-op play with my local area buddies that i grew up with..

Anyways, first thing i noticed is the color pallet used in OF2 goes for a more drab cold feeling but not in a bad way..it actually fits this kind of game well. What i mean by the color pallet is the choice of colors used for the visuals..they are mostly of brownish color..sorta like COD World at War has during the battlefield fights or how Gears of War looks...

With that said..it does not look bad at all..i think it looks freaking GOOD graphically. Particle effects are neat to look at and also the post processing and smoke effects are some of the best ever put into a game because the smoke from bombs and explosions look very dark rich black in color which looks impressive seeing smoke bellowing out in the background far off in the distance...i love it. I will say this..its not Crysis type visuals although i feel Crytek are more talented with producing bleeding edge visuals but this game is damn good for such a large endless battlefield..just like the original operation flashpoint game..this game is HUGE and shoots down any theory that consoles cant handle wide open huge landscape games although oblivion proved that years ago..because this is living proof that consoles can handle such large maps just fine...thanks to streaming disc's (if done right).

The game play is BAD ASS...i love it although i will say this..its not a game for the hardcore run and gun COD players..unless your a flexible gamer that can adapt to both run and gun shooters and patient strategy driven shooters. Personally i prefer these patient huge landscape battlefield shooters over Call of Duty games any day of the week even though i do like COD games too..but OP2 its more "true to life" which requires more thinking *brain usage* and sucks you into the game better imho. Again for such a large open ended game..the 360 does a mighty fine job of rendering this with a solid stable frames per second.

Also i like to say that Codemasters did a brilliant job with the gamepad layout. I just cant see how anyone will not be able to appreciate how well thought out the gamepad button layouts are for OP2. Its fucking PERFECT..i played the game for 30 minutes thus far and within the first 10 minutes i had the controls down perfectly and was navigating thru the control commands perfectly. Remember now..Operation Flashpoint is much more simmy then a COD game therefor it requires a shit load more button commands but trust me on this..its a piece of cake getting use to them. I actually have no desire going to the pc version for the superior command layout a keyboard gives you..the 360 version is fine with how codemasters got the buttons commends implemented.

The gun fire is bassy and loud..it sounds like your "REALLY" busting off rounds when you fire your assault riffle ..i got a nice surround sound system with one Infinity 12inch powered sub and one Polk Audio 10inch powered sub and the windows rattle when im firing off my gun when i got the sound turned up..its impressive and the ambient sounds in the background really suck you into a game

...just like Dead Space game..this game is high on atmosphere and to me is the KEY to any good game. I hope more developers concentrate on the atmosphere and immersivness of their videogames in the future because it makes a world of difference in having fun and excitement with the game..Operation Flashpoint 2 hits this perfectly..props to codemasters .

As i mentioned..i only had 30-40 minutes into the game on "normal" mode..im gonna restart the game with "hardcore" mode tonight when im ready to get sucked into this game. Im quite happy with this game..and even though it was not made by the same guys that made the first Operation Flashpoint game (Bohemia)...it feels ALOT like it but with a tad more fast pace action sprinkled on top. To me its a perfect mix...and it has none of the unoptimized BS and bugs/glitches that the original Operation flashpoint had, ArmaI and ArmaII has...

My final thoughts thus far? I LOVE IT! ..this is my cup of tea for sure!

Moe

Back
Top Bottom