OnLive [Now on smartphone and tablet!]

Re: OnLive Launches in the UK

I can see this fucking up big time at some point.
Yup same here. until the day they make broadband internet standard everywhere in the world this wont work. there are still millions of gamers who have shit internet connection and play offline only.

Parts of the UK still use dialup!

This will flop IMO

You make it sound like online gaming doesn't exist and we are the minority us online gamers. I'm pretty sure judging by the number of cod players that a huge chunk of gamers have a net capable of using this. Online mp games are huge.

Last edited:

They have Homefront MP on there, I think it has 32 players in the game modes and I've played it with no lag at all.
I have no idea how but it worked just like I had it on my own computer, but it looked far far better than my pc could ever handle. So "but it's not the same as playing in max settings locally, on your PC"... Well I can't do max settings locally, so this is better.

Of course consoles have exclusive games... but its obviously just a matter of time until onlive gets some of its own exclusives. Most people already have a ps3 or 360 or Wii anyway, so you just buy the exclusives you love on there.

+1

For the large number of people that don't have good enough PCs, have a Mac or laptops, this will be incredible. You can play most PC games with high settings with an easy-to-use interface. I can see this becoming big and lasting a while. It's also hitting all the big newspapers, which is pretty positive already.

This service has been available for a while in the US and got some recent press because a retailer, GameStop, fucked up their offerings of Deus Ex by removing the consumer's OnLive coupon.

However, it hasn't really caught on there. Some of people reported issues of lag etc. Maybe they've learned from their mistakes in the UK?

You make it sound like online gaming doesn't exist and we are the minority us online gamers. I'm pretty sure judging by the number of cod players that a huge chunk of gamers have a net capable of using this. Online mp games are huge.

COD has a SP mode plus local play. Also this onLive is streaming video gaming content that u control over the internet. hows the input lag on that compared to locally controlling the game on your console/PC?

COD has a SP mode plus local play.
Also this onLive is streaming video gaming content that u control over the internet. hows the input lag on that compared to locally controlling the game on your console/PC?

I doubt the majority of people who bought COD bought it for the single player experience... and a single player experience that was ripped into for being extremely short.
I doubt that the majority of the millions of gamers who are looking forward to Cod and Battlefield this year are mainly doing so for the offline experience.

I don't doubt that there are areas in the uk with either no internet or only low speed broadband. But there should be more than enough gamers out there with the tools already at their disposal to use this.

The input lag varies. Though I've not tried every game there is yet.

World of Goo is slightly laggy in you will move your mouse and it's a tad behind so it makes playing difficult. not impossible but just annoyingly difficult. I googled the issue and found lots of threads from people playing the game on the pc but NOT via OnLive so it seems like its a game issue and not OnLive.

Homefront MP - it was near perfect. no lag, no latency between me moving the mouse and it doing it. Really surprised me with 32 players all using onlive that it ran so well and looked so good. The console versions looked like shit online... anything moving at distance was a pixelated mess.

Splinter Cell conviction - I'm on the joypad and the only time I notice ... not lag but the game isn't moving right away... is when I'm zoomed in using a scope and trying to aim. I don't know if that's how the game is meant to be, like the deadzone is off... but the rest of the time, flawless. For 31p I'm loving it.

Some tower defence game - works perfect

Deus Ex (original) - worked flawless with no lag at all. The only downside to the game is the game only has auto saves so you cant manually save this one when you want... so die before an auto save and you get sent way back.

Just Cause 2 - I've only played for a short time and it seemed slightly laggy when aiming. movement felt fine but fine aiming felt a little off. I was playing this towards the end of the day after a full day of playing so maybe Virgin were throttling my connection at the time?

Stalker something or other of Chernobyl. Seemed fine to me, graphics were muddy the other night when I was playing it late... again I assume due to virgin. Played it this morning and it was crystal clear.

Alien vs Predator (classic) - that seemed slightly off. Like id move and the game moves a tad more than i wanted to. but im not sure if thats just how the game is as it feels really ... like the floor is slippy and the characters zoom around.

Dirt 3 - the mrs played this and said she didn't notice any lag. when she really tried to think about it she said that MAYBE there was some but it was hard to tell with the cars slipping around. she had no trouble navigating the tracks without crashing and won races so must have been fine,

Tropico 3 & 4. These felt slightly off now and again... it's mainly the speed at which the mouse icon moves around. If you do slow deliberate movements its fine. start zipping the mouse around and you'll be all over the place. Hard to stop being so twitchy with the mouse but when you do its fine. Tropico 4 looks sublime!

Saints Row 2 - Felt fine. It felt really fast, like it was slightly in fast forward. Though I'm not sure if that's how the game is meant to be, I can't remember how it was on consoles.

[Edit]
NBA 2K10
Fantastic. Not an ounce of lag, graphics looked lovely.

Last edited:

I'm totally with rad on this.

Finally had a proper session with a wired 360 pad in my macbook pro. Homefront is immense! It's not even the zero lag I find most impressive, zero latency?! How do they do it? Soooo clever.

Homefront was cracking, real good fun and looked a treat. Zero problems.

Nba 2k10 again perfect, no lag or latency.

Spent a lot of time in the brag clip library laughing my head off!

I totally love onlive - as a concept, a business and as a gamer. I'm amazed too be honest.

ahh ok my bad. i thought the input lag would be shockingly bad on it. i doubt i will try it though as my pc is more then capable of playing pc games but with onLive, are they still pc specific games or games designed and built for onLive platform?

Can i play u online withy my pc local copy of nba 2k10 against u using the onLive version? If teh answer is yes then that would increase the PC gaming world dramaticlaly if their is next to no input lag AND can play against local pc gamer users. You lot would have absolutely no excuse to not buy and play games like rfactor 2 and Arma 3. This could give console gaminga proper walkaking.

It seems that instead of lagging or latency getting bad when things get busy or your net speed drops, the thing that takes a hit is the image quality. Some times the image quality will drop so rather than a hd image it becomes a sd image. Or the picture breaks up a little.
I checked the onlive fan forum and the uk people who are listing this as a problem are being told by the USA members that this is how it was for them at launch. A lack of local servers meant they were shifted around to further away ones. Once more local servers are up fully in the eu we should find we are no longer being diverted to American servers to play the games on and the image should remain stable and hd.

ahh ok my bad. i thought the input lag would be shockingly bad on it. i doubt i will try it though as my pc is more then capable of playing pc games but with onLive, are they still pc specific games or games designed and built for onLive platform?

Can i play u online withy my pc local copy of nba 2k10 against u using the onLive version? If teh answer is yes then that would increase the PC gaming world dramaticlaly if their is next to no input lag AND can play against local pc gamer users. You lot would have absolutely no excuse to not buy and play games like rfactor 2 and Arma 3. This could give console gaminga proper walkaking.

Not sure on the mp thing as I've wondered that. I'm guessing it's against specific onlive users too be fair as the whole onlive ui is like xbl with achievements, points etc, so I would think they would keep all the mp in house?

What service provider and bandwidth are you guys on?

On bt which at the moment with onlive are offering 3 months free, 30% off anything, no bandwidth counting against your usage until jan 2012.

I get just below 10mbps download speeds.

Workmate tried it and said it's a blocky mess and nowhere near HD, if even SD. Everytime the screen moved around, it had to "rebuild" the picture.

Workmate tried it and said it's a blocky mess and nowhere near HD, if even SD. Everytime the screen moved around, it had to "rebuild" the picture.

Obviously has rubbish internet then. Its not going to work flawlessly for everyone and if you dont have at least 2mb+ (might even be 3mb+ actually), then of course the quality is going to drop.

If you have a semi decent connection, its mustard.

What service provider and bandwidth are you guys on?

Bog standard Virgin Media... which I believe is 'up to' 10 meg but of course is hardly ever around that mark.

Last night I was playing Splinter Cell Conviction and NBA 2k10, everything ran fine and looked great 99% of the time (I had the occasional hiccup) ... and the Mrs was behind me playing COD online the entire time with no problems.

Whoop! My micro console has just shipped!! Superb stuff, cant wait to try it out as its meant to be even better than the client - plus it will be wired rather than wireless, so should make it more stable.

Really wanna try the MicroConsole wired but the router is too far away. It's supposed to be much better quality which is my main gripe with OnLive at the minute.

Not sure on the mp thing as I've wondered that. I'm guessing it's against specific onlive users too be fair as the whole onlive ui is like xbl with achievements, points etc, so I would think they would keep all the mp in house?

but i thought onLive gaming is basically playing pc games that are streamed?

i highly doubt game devs would make not only a 360, ps3 and pc game of a game, but a onLive version as well?

i've got nba 2k10, you wanna try and play a match with me online later? anyone else wanna try?

I don't think game devs are making an OnLive version of the game, it sounds like it works like the old school GameSpy Arcade that would track what games your friends were playing and add points and achievements too.

I'm totally with rad on this.

Spent a lot of time in the brag clip library laughing my head off!

Saw some great clips on there... some of my favourites off the top of my head...

The Deus Ex one whee the guy staggers to his feet and then... [Don't want to spoil it if you haven't seen it]

Just Cause 2 - Some guy jumps out of a plane, parachutes above it, it clips a building, turns to the right slightly and ends up parking itself inside a plane hanger!

Homefront MP - There are loads of great clips on there for this game but a great one is where some guy climbs on top a building and then knifes about 6 or 7 people who were camping up there one after another after another.

And another one where someone drives a jeep to the top of a hill, not sure why but they're up there... suddenly they slip over the edge and start sliding down backwards only to smash into some camping sniper killing him.

Deus Ex Classic
Really funny one where the main character talks to some guys and plays word association with him. "Bitch I ain't goin back to jail". Great clip.

And one where some boss says she is going to kill your character, the guy then says 'take your best shot' - she replies with 'This will be easy" and then... lol

Saw some great clips on there... some of my favourites off the top of my head...

The Deus Ex one whee the guy staggers to his feet and then... [Don't want to spoil it if you haven't seen it]

Just Cause 2 - Some guy jumps out of a plane, parachutes above it, it clips a building, turns to the right slightly and ends up parking itself inside a plane hanger!

Homefront MP - There are loads of great clips on there for this game but a great one is where some guy climbs on top a building and then knifes about 6 or 7 people who were camping up there one after another after another.

And another one where someone drives a jeep to the top of a hill, not sure why but they're up there... suddenly they slip over the edge and start sliding down backwards only to smash into some camping sniper killing him.

Deus Ex Classic
Really funny one where the main character talks to some guys and plays word association with him. "Bitch I ain't goin back to jail". Great clip.

And one where some boss says she is going to kill your character, the guy then says 'take your best shot' - she replies with 'This will be easy" and then... lol

Think my fave was the one I posted on my FB...

http://www.facebook.com/v/10150305525366884

If you cant see it, its from Shellshock 2. Player is in a hut and melee'ing with a Jap soldier - player twats soldier in head with machete, soldier then reels back holding his throat and moaning rocking about a bit... sinks to his knees in dramatic fashion, flops on the floor and then rolls round and round (glitch). Was hilarious!

Whoop! My micro console has just shipped!! Superb stuff, cant wait to try it out as its meant to be even better than the client - plus it will be wired rather than wireless, so should make it more stable.

When did you place your order?
I think I did mine around midnight Friday (I should have done it earlier but I was hooked) so it probably rolled over to Saturday. Unless they don't work weekends so won't be on their systems until today.

I've been hammering it today and so Virgin are throttling me tonight making the image muddy/blurry. Some games are fine to still play like the tower defence ones or games with basic visuals ... but anything like homefront or splinter cell where one wrong move and you're dead... its difficult playing when you can't really see anything in great clean crisp detail.

Had a look through the playpack in more detail and there are some stonking games on there. Games that you could play for hours and hours.

Re: OnLive

Within hours of it launching! Lol got so excited,think it was about 10am Thursday?

Not had chance to get on it today, but set my missus up with the pc client on xp. She's been paying the maw all evening and loving having an easy to use and instant library of games.

Console arrived about an hour ago :)

First thing that hits you is the quality of the packaging - its something on a par with Apple. High quality cardboard, nice boxes etc very impressive.

In the box are;

Micro Console (small and quite heavier than I expected!)
Controller - BEAUTIFUL controller!!
HDMI cable/power
Batteries - Duracell, not crappo ones
Rechargeable power pack for the controller and USB lead.

All in all, for what this retails at (£70) its a brilliantly put together bit of kit.

Set up was straight forward, couple of patches to install, sign in and away you go.

Must admit though, it didnt look great on a larger screen (40" LCD). I *think* it was just due to the internet speed as sometimes it was pretty sharp picture, but my internet has been playing up the last 24 hours, so it may just be that. **

That said, I'd much rather have a drop in image quality than any lag, stuttering etc - neither of which happened at all. And the latency was still zero for 99% of the games. I say 99% as the only game that felt weird was Flatout 2 as it was a microsecond delay and ended up swerving around a bit - BUT, it may just be that its a crap game anyways with bad handling (and I've been playing a lot of F1 which is pretty precise), so unfair to judge.

Other games I tried were absolutely fine (and as I say, most times definitely 'HD' quality).

Overall, I still love this. The controller is incredibly good and the whole system is just brilliantly done.

** Too be fair probably didnt test it with the best games in Trine, AvP and Flatout 2!!! I'll try something a little more 'HD' later.

Missus has been playing since half 7 and its been 'perfect' on both the big TV, then we simply unplugged it, took it into the bedroom and plugged it into a smaller TV and again, fine.

Graphics are much better tonight, quite sharp indeed.

Throw back to the old days of moving a console around the house easily :)

Had the money taken out of my bank today so hopefully I'll get the shipped email sometime tomorrow.

OnLive Launches In UK with Electronic Arts Surprise + 30 More Coming Soon Game Titles

We were teased and tormented for months about what OnLive’s launch in the United Kingdom meant. Fans everywhere were aligning the stars and interpreting hidden messages from random Tweets. For many, September 22 couldn’t arrive soon enough. That day has finally arrived and OnLive has delivered with a great big hug and kiss. After many, many questions, e-mails, chain-letters, and Twitter campaigns, the first Electronic Arts games since OnLive’s official launch will be arriving.

Among a list of impressive titles from many publishers, OnLive fans everywhere can expect to play EA’s Bulletstorm. This game has been given lavish praise from critics with an average Metacritic score of 84 out of 100. Some critic remarks include; “An exceptional shooter brimming with personality and originality” and “Bulletstorm will be a humorous, tongue-in-cheek romp that distinguishes itself from the other samey sci-fi or military shooters clogging up the genre.”

Coming Soon Games:
- Assassin’s Creed Revelations
- Assault Heroes 2
- Batman: Arkham City
- Bulletstorm
- Call of Juarez: The Cartel
- Civilization V
- Driver: San Francisco
- F1 2011
- Fallout Tactics
- Fallout: A Post Nuclear Role Playing Game
- Football Manager 2012
- From Dust
- Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 1
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
- Limbo
- Might & Magic: Heroes VI
- MLB 2K11
- NBA 2K12
- Operation Flashpoint: Red River
- Orcs Must Die
- Red Bull X Fighters, International Freestyle Motorcross
- Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad
- Roller Coaster Tycoon 3
- Saints Row the Third
- Sniper: Ghost Warrior
- Super Street Fighter 4: Arcade Edition
- Trine 2
- Wargame: European Escalation

More here
http://onlivefans.com/news/onlive-launches-in-uk-with-huge-electronic-arts-surprise/2851/

Update on last nights OnLive session.

My missus played on the console from about half 7 till 10pm on both the large and small flat screens (so easy to move it around!) - perfect picture and she reported 'no problems'. She played The Maw and Trine mostly.

After footie, I took over and set up on the large screen. Graphic quality wasnt as sharp as PS3, but it doesnt bother me, was more than acceptable, approaching excellent.

Its not all rosy, so its only fair I flip the coin;

1) Driving games wont work - at least not for the moment. Tried Flat Out 2 and Dirt 3 and both are hampered by the microseconds of latency that just dont affect other games. Its hard to be precise steering and Dirt (though looked great and ran well) ended up a weave side to side fest. Id imagine F1 2011 when released will be a complete mess.

2) Similarly with mouse driven games (using a controller, so not entirely fair). But had a go of Tropico 3 and it was quite hard to control (though commendable that they had mapped the mouse controls to a controller). I reckon it would be playable with a bit of practice though - but it was late and winding me up.

3) All the games are now showing 'full price' for me. I say 'full' but there are a lot of sales (unless its my 30% BT discount showing). For example, Deus Ex was £24.99 from £39.99 etc. I've not bought anything at all yet, so went onto live chat on the OnLive site (which worked on iPad) and within a couple of minutes I had a 97% discount code emailed to me, so props to them for that.

Other than that, still think this thing is witchcraft and is a superb idea. Graphics whores and people with lower internet speed will continue to moan I guess, but this system should only get better and they have great ideas lined up for the future.

Played Deus Ex HR this morning through OnLive. Everything ran smooth as silk, graphics werent pin sharp, but it didnt bother me at all, I dont remember them being that sharp on PS3 either? Kind of that futuristic neon punk feel, so maybe it was 100% fine through OnLive?

But was superb anyway - well impressed.

They doing a new deal now, pre-order Arkham City and get a free console. I reckon they will do this with all pre-orders for the foreseeable future.

I tried dirt 3 last night and didn't really notice the latency. When you tap left or right to adjust your steering slightly it does happen a split second later but I assumed that was just the game. I'm sure it's always felt like that. When you change the camera view that happens right away.
Maybe worth downloading the ps3 demo for comparison.

I think they're just doing free consoles for us uk pre orders as it's new still. In the USA you get the option of a new console or a free game with pre orders. I guess we will get those options after a while too.

Two interesting ideas floating around for the future of OnLive.

Bruce talked about a feature they have that isn’t currently active – a version of remote play if you will. If your friend is literally stuck in a game, they can surrender control to you, to help them.

As OnLive seems to be blurring the lines between TV viewing and video spectating, the company appears to be on the verge of adding even more features.

In an interview that BeefJack had with OnLive’s Vice President of Games and Media, John Spinale, we learn about a few new aspect that may come to the service’s game spectating in the future.

In discussing the OnLive spectating feature, Spinale said:

“I think we’ll see that now [that] we’ve got all this working, we’ll start to marry [it] with more functionality to broaden the appeal. For example, the concept of curation, so that a celebrity could narrate what’s going on, so that all the spectators have a bit of context. That and other stuff can really start to turn the viewing experience into a more collaborative experience. That’s where I think it’s going to really turn into a whole other thing.”

The idea of adding features such as commentary to game spectating could be what really makes the feature something that gamers and non-gamers would be interested in watching.

When asked about the possibility of having in game commentary and audience interaction during game tournaments, Spinale explained:

“None of it’s live today – but you can imagine I have a tablet version of OnLive where I can mark up information like on a chalkboard, while someone’s playing. Or if say someone scores a really cool goal, I can rewind it and point out to the viewer how this other guy is way out of position over here, using the tablet to interact with the television feed. You can have voice chat on with someone who’s a well-known celebrity commentator, who is pointing details like that out in real-time, in the game space. So you’re right – it helps turn games into a broadcast medium.”

Of course this would be a bit complicated as far as assigning the commentators, but in time, it could conceivably be worked out. Just as websites such as Youtube and Justin.tv allow people to have their own “channels”, could OnLive do something similar?

Spinal went on to explain:

“That was the beginning of the thought process, but once we realized that, ‘OK, the platform allows us to do so many different things because now everything is up in the data center and streamed as video,’ then your mind begins to go on to this other dimension and asking: ‘What does that really mean?’ It becomes another media type like movies, music and television – games could be broadcast out like them, so what can we do with that?”

“You can take these kinds of live events and make it more exciting, accessible and deeper than if you were just looking over someone’s shoulder.”

Could we really be on the verge of having a real live video game television option, whereas there are commentators, live tournaments that thousands of people could watch, and more? It certainly seems as though this is something OnLive is strongly considering.

OnLive multiplayer tournaments are both fun to play and fun to watch, but imagine adding in a commentator who could make the viewing experience even more interesting.

Back
Top Bottom