1. We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners. Learn More.

OnLive [Now on smartphone and tablet!]

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by Radiation, 22 September 2011.

1. Radiation

Radiation Golden Boot Winner

6 February 2006
    Widnes
    Newcastle United
    ONLIVE LAUNCHES IN THE UK [PC]
    Thursday September 22, 10:34 AM
    Cloud gaming service ‘OnLive’ has finally launched in the UK. The way you buy and play games may never be the same again. Seriously...

Cloud gaming means that you don’t physically own the games you play – you don’t even need a high-end PC or fancy console to play them on. Instead, players become subscribers who merely control the action, while all the processing takes place on powerful remote servers. Access to games is practically instant, and all user inputs are effectively streamed back in near real-time.

The standard OnLive set-up costs £69.99 and consists of a slick joypad and the OnLive ‘Microconsole’. The latter, which is as tiny as the name suggests, plugs straight into your broadband router and out to your TV via HDMI. All the necessary cables are included in the box.

Alternatively, players can hook up on PC or Macintosh. A small browser download is required, and users can opt to plug in a compatible joypad – a wired Xbox 360 controller worked for us. Otherwise the service is exactly the same.

OnLive launches with a range of over 100 games, including many big name releases such as ‘Batman: Arkham Asylum’, ‘Dirt 3’, Deus Ex: Human Revolution’, ‘LEGO Harry Potter and many more. All are priced from £1.99 to £39.99, but your very first purchase will cost just £1.

Three or five day rentals are an option if you’re not looking for lifetime (virtual) ownership. However, the most tempting offer is the all-you-can-eat ‘PlayPass’, which gives unlimited access to most games in the OnLive library and costs just £6.99 a month. BT Broadband customers are offered the first three months absolutely FREE.

Speaking of freebies. OnLive is giving away the Microsconsole package at this weekend’s Eurogamer Expo – Earls Court, September 22-25. Stocks are limited, though, so act quickly to avoid disappointment.
    So what are the catches with OnLive? They’re very few, in fact. Users will need a moderate internet connection – a 3MB line is recommended – there’s no SCART output for older model TVS and the service is not supposed to be used by players under 13 years of age. The upsides are that it’s cheap, easy to use, most games have free demos and any there’s very little lag between player inputs and the on-screen results.

We’ve been using OnLive for the last week and we’re pleasantly surprised by how well it works – see our hands-on report for our full impressions. Better still, sign up at OnLive.co.uk and try it out for yourselves.

http://uk.videogames.games.yahoo.com/5e/news/onlive-launches-in-the-uk-67915e.html

8 DECEMBER

[​IMG]

INTRODUCING THE ONLIVE APP!
    Now you can experience console-quality gaming on your Android tablet and smartphone. Launch a top-tier game anywhere. Play it everywhere.

Experience top-tier games on your tablet: No more flinging birds.
    Pick up your games anywhere: Play over WiFi or your mobile network.
    Play via touch or controller: Play select games via touch, or play them all with the Universal OnLive Wireless Controller. Learn More

Download the FREE OnLive app for Android now and get LEGO Batman: The Videogame free!* More Tablets and Phones Coming Soon!

http://news.onlive.com/rd/9z1zjhcu84ncmphep7f9l46ofjad4krsct6cdaja64g

Last edited: 8 December 2011
  2. BobbyBox

BobbyBox WING NUT!

10 October 2003
    Arsenal
    Re: OnLive Launches in the UK

Sounds brilliant, when using the TV do you have to have it plugged into the router aswell? so you can only play on a TV next to the router?

3. winston

winston Champions League

7 August 2005

Sounds interesting. I've been getting involved a bit in cloud computing at work but hadn't thought about it being used as a platform for gaming.

It'll be interesting to see how this develops and how long before the likes of EA some find way of scamming more money out of us than if we'd bought a physical copy of a game.

4. Radiation

6 February 2006
    Widnes
    Newcastle United
  5. Milanista

Milanista Mangiamoli! Staff

19 December 2002
    London & Milan
    AC Milan

Looks brilliant. My Mac isn't good enough for gaming, so to have the ability to play most games with ease and very reasonable pricing will do just fine.

6. pboreham

pboreham Kick. Snare. Hat. Ride.

5 August 2002
    C*lchester
    Southend Utd

I got this yesterday and got very excited (and carried away on Facebook! LOL).

Worked flawlessly on my MacBook Pro - no lag, everything was fast and looked good. I went ahead and ordered the Micro Console straight away (*nervously looks out of window... nope, still no delivery*)

This will be the future!

7. Radiation

6 February 2006
    Widnes
    Newcastle United

Where did you buy it from? I've had a quick look around and I've only found mentions of it being sold on game and gamestation websites. It makes it sound like its not for sale in stores yet.

I'm gagging for one.

8. BillyBoy

BillyBoy Guest

Had a US account for a while now but obviously had difficulty connecting to their servers most of the time.

Tried it yesterday on the UK servers and was impressed. The service seems really good and its community features are almost as good as Xbox LIVE. It was a bit dodgy yesterday in terms of network dropouts and graphical glitches but thats probably due to the server being bombarded by all the new owners.

I reckon the micro console will be really good especially with a wired connection. Its great that the controller works with Macs, PC's, iPads, iPhones and Android tablets. I can really see this taking off, especially if they have good regular deals like Steam do. It seems to me at least as a great way to enjoy PC gaming without the hassle of expensive setups and the ability to play it on a variety of devices everywhere is a great idea.

9. FlawlessCowboy

FlawlessCowboy Stunted

5 July 2004
    Coventry, UK

If you pre-order the new Saints Row, they email you a promo code to get the Microconsole for free (well you pay £6 delivery).

The service is great and works very well - the quality of the video stream could be better though but I'm hoping it might be via the Microconsole (Lovefilm streams on PC are pants, via the PS3 they are much better).

Plus Deus Ex Human Revolution for £1 and playing within minutes? Awesome :)

10. BillyBoy

BillyBoy Guest

11. Radiation

6 February 2006
    Widnes
    Newcastle United

just downloaded the pc app and played it via that. My gamertag is KRadiation if anyone wants to add me.

Amazing. And thanks for that link, sounds like a great deal. i just hope the game isnt as poor as SR2 was on the pc

Last edited: 23 September 2011
  12. pboreham

5 August 2002
    C*lchester
    Southend Utd

Ordered the Micro Console from the OnLive site itself - order has been processed but no sign of it shipping yet. Might drop them a mail over the weekend as said it would 'ship within 1 day' - but too be honest, I wasnt expecting it what with it being day 1 launch.

13. Radiation

6 February 2006
    Widnes
    Newcastle United

Ah right.
    I bought the Playpack for £6.99.... only to then find that my £1 for your first purchase offer vanished. Seems if you don't use that first it's gone.
    I jumped on the online chat support thing though and minutes after the screw up they emailed me a code for a 97% discount. I've just picked up Splinter Cell for 39p !

I've pre ordered Saints row 3 too now and used the code for the free console. I got the email saying it;s processing but that's it so far. Does anyone know if the console actually adds anything to the image quality or things like that or if it's basically just a way of putting the service onto your tv screen?

14. BillyBoy

BillyBoy Guest

Its just a way of accessing the service via your TV Rad. However the micro console doesn't have built in Wi-Fi. You can only use it with a wired ethernet connection. They say that a wired connection is the best set up and will improve upon substantially any latency, lag and graphical issues you might have experienced on a wireless connection.

Two good things about the micro console package are that firstly you can use the wireless controller with a variety of devices and secondly the micro console has USB ports, so you can plug in a wired 360 controller or PS3 controller and those will work too. Not only that but USB hubs work so you can play local multiplayer too.

15. Radiation

6 February 2006
    Widnes
    Newcastle United

That's what I thought, it just linked the two... Though it seems a tad expensive for basically just a box that links your router to your tv. I like how small and almost plug in and play it will be though... should be amazing for taking round to a friends house, wiring it up and having a play.

Random thoughts.

The notice when people are spectating you is really off putting. Not the actual message but just knowing that people are watching you. I love it though. Earlier I was playing splinter cell when Pbb and some random person started watching me... I threw a grenade and it clipped the car I was taking cover behind, dropped at my feet and blew me up. Apart from me being daft and killing myself, I loved knowing that someone just randomly happened to be watching me as I did that and probably either laughed at me or face palmed.

On the subject of the playpack.
    Does anyone have any recommendations from the list of games outside of the obvious big name games?

16. pboreham

5 August 2002
    C*lchester
    Southend Utd

Some other things;

1) I'm sure the box comes with WiFi - sure thats in the tech specs, unless I've read it wrong and it says you can connect a wired bridge -> wiresless router?

2) I've heard that the box does greatly increase quality though (prob due to the wired connection).

3) The controller looks great and has a dedicated 'brag' button on it to save your clips **

4) That moment you described was very funny - I'd literally just joined you and you blew yourself up. I knew you must have laughed or something as it popped up (or made a camera noise?) that you'd saved it. So I then looked at your brag videos and shared it to my Facebook.

** By the way, just how awesome is the 'brag' thing? Why nobody done that before - such a great idea. If you score a great goal, or something like Rad did, single click of a button and you have saved your 10 second clip and shared it in an instant. Just brilliant.

== EDIT

Just chatting to support -

1) Dont know when they will be shipping, but they do have stock. I pressed him on it and he said they cannot comment. Sounds bit ominous.

2) Console is wired only, no wireless (though again, could connect an ethernet->wireless bridge I guess)

Last edited: 24 September 2011
  17. Radiation

6 February 2006
    Widnes
    Newcastle United

Yeah I love the brag thing. There are some great clips in the bragging section, like the NBA shot where the guy throws it from his own half and gets a basket after the times expired to the Homefront clip where someone in a tank fires a shot and gets everything right hitting a helicopter that's flying across.

I really like using the Arena too... might sound daft but just sitting watching someone playing a game and seeing how it is, is a great option to have. Before I picked up splinter cell I spent about an hour watching other people playing other games I were contemplating.

-

Edit @ 19:07

Just had a look on http://onlivefans.com and found a thread about people getting their consoles. Some interesting quotes;

18. Radiation

6 February 2006
    Widnes
    Newcastle United
  19. pboreham

5 August 2002
    C*lchester
    Southend Utd

Onlive is just going to be huge. To launch like they have, aggressive pricing, on the whole excellent technology a great set top box and controller package, a decent catalog of games and brand new releases. That was day one by the way!!

The plans they have for it are pretty amazing, dont think we've seen the surface scratched yet. I think the future of gaming is here (I said that the iPad would be a great console and a lot of people on here scoffed!) and in 12 months, onlive will be the defacto console choice for most people.

20. Radiation

6 February 2006
    Widnes
    Newcastle United

And at the moment these games are just pc games with the graphics set to maximum. I can't wait to see some games that are made FOR onlive rather than being pc ports that were made so they could run on a load of different set ups rather than just being able to push the boundries.

No more having to go out and buy the latest graphics cards to run the latest games. Just boot OnLive up, pick the latest game and away you go. I think casual gamers will jump on... i doubt they'd want to pick up a ps4 or nextbox for £400 when onlive will be able to churn out the same kind of games at a fraction of the cost and of course a few months after those consoles are out and the pc market eclipses them in terms of graphics... onlive will be up there too without anyone having to upgrade their pc or buy more ram or fiddle around.

-

Just found this nice read.
    http://onlivefans.com/showthread.ph...ic-Hardware-Why-OnLive-is-Truly-Revolutionary.

21. BobbyBox

BobbyBox WING NUT!

10 October 2003
    Arsenal

If I was to move to a different country and pay for a VPN would I still be able to use this?

22. Lami

Lami Niche Football Staff

28 May 2007
    Sydney
    Man Utd, Vecchia Signora

It's great and all, but what about people who have no/cannot afford internet?

23. DagsJT

DagsJT Retired Footballer

29 November 2005
    Warrington
    Liverpool

Still think their pricing is a joke. £35 for a game you don't physically own, has no resale value and can only play if you're online. I think OnLive is a good idea but not sure it'll catch on ahead of consoles.

24. winston

winston Champions League

7 August 2005

I wonder what effect this will have on the current price gap between PC and console games. Particularly taking a company like EA, where this year the robbers have upped the console price of FIFA to £55 (and even charging an extra £15 or so to play it a week early....lol...£70....for last years game with tweaks), yet the PC version is a mere £30, although a lot of people will have PCs that would need to be upgraded to play it at its max settings. OnLive negates that. I expect EA will charge £55 for the OnLive version.

25. Radiation

6 February 2006
    Widnes
    Newcastle United

I got Splinter Cell for something like 39p. [I'll just check... Right I was wrong, it was actually 31p!] I doubt I could buy it anywhere at that price so the resale value doesn't come into it.

Most of the games I've bought on the pc over the years can't be sold on because the single use code has gone, or shops just refuse to take them. So I have a big pile of pc games that are practically worthless in terms of resale... but that didn't stop me buying them. As they're pc games, I'm online anyway because the pc is turned on so having to be online for OnLive isn't an issue.

26. jaygrim

jaygrim TheAllSeeingEye

26 July 2005
    Everywhere.
    Man Utd

I can see this fucking up big time at some point.

27. airjoca

airjoca International

29 July 2003
    Amadora, Portugal
    SL Benfica

Yes, you're playing at max settings, but it's not the same as playing in max settings locally, on your PC, because there's the issue of compressed video.

And consoles will always have exclusives, Mario, Zelda, Uncharted, God of War and so forth.

And for games like fighters and shooters where every milisecond counts, the inevitable lag will cause problems.

28. Radiation

6 February 2006
    Widnes
    Newcastle United

They have Homefront MP on there, I think it has 32 players in the game modes and I've played it with no lag at all.
    I have no idea how but it worked just like I had it on my own computer, but it looked far far better than my pc could ever handle. So "but it's not the same as playing in max settings locally, on your PC"... Well I can't do max settings locally, so this is better.

Of course consoles have exclusive games... but its obviously just a matter of time until onlive gets some of its own exclusives. Most people already have a ps3 or 360 or Wii anyway, so you just buy the exclusives you love on there.

Last edited: 25 September 2011
  29. mjsmith2k

mjsmith2k Come on you Reds!

5 November 2005
    Nottingham
    Forest, Bulls, Patriots
  30. Radiation

6 February 2006
    Widnes
    Newcastle United

Maybe you need to be a friend. Never mind, they're on my profile on OnLive if you look there.