OnLive [Now on smartphone and tablet!]

Re: OnLive

Me and my mates idea for it is for them (or someone similar) to provide powerful pc software like photoshop, 3d rendering etc and store all the files in the cloud. Meaning one day (not long away!) you won't need a powerful pc/mac to do business on, as well as gaming.

I believe they've already spoke about possibly one day doing something like that as they keep mentioning it on the onlive fans forum.

What, posts from OnLive officials? Would be an awesome thing though.

It wont totally happen (i.e. replace the existing totally), but must be a bit of a wake up call to console makers, digital gaming services AND hardware producers.

I'm not sure who said what but I've seen people make reference to onlive officials, as in the people behind it, talking about possible non gaming programs like a photoshop or word or 3D max type things running on online.

I on;t think its been said in a sort of 'this is coming soon' but more of a 'these are the possibilities'.

When Wii U was introduced by Nintendo at this year’s E3 in Los Angeles, California, many comparisons were made between it and OnLive. OnLive’s cloud gaming service works in a similar way to the Wii U, but seems to go far beyond what Nintendo’s upcoming game system can do.
Most gamers know that the new Nintendo Wii will feature a controller that displays the game at the same time as it is shown on the television. Even if the TV is turned off, game play will still be displayed on the controller. This is pretty much as far as Nintendo’s “cloud” aspect of the Wii U goes.
OnLive, on the other hand, utilizes cloud gaming technology to its full extent. Games are rendered in the cloud, while being displayed on a another device such as a tablet, PC, Mac, television, or even smartphone.
We have been shown in the past, that OnLive will allow for touchscreen controls of games such as “From Dust”, which is set to be released on the service sometime in the near future. Also available will be the option to use a universal controller to play OnLive via tablet, without the use of touch controls.
ONLIVE & WII U-LIKE CONTROLS
Something that has not been mentioned before is the potential that OnLive has to act similarly to the Wii U. In an interview that GodIsAGeek had with OnLive Director of Strategic Relations, Bruce Grove, at this years EuroGamer, more was revealed.
“You’ve already seen how we can go from one place to another and spectate (in OnLive),” explained Grove. “Well, I can give two streams to a single user, and now this (one screen) can become an input device.”
What Grove seems to be explaining is that an OnLive user will have the ability to play a game on one device while using another as a touchscreen controller. This has huge potential. Imagine playing a game an iPad, while controlling it with your smartphone. Perhaps you would want to play a game on your large screen television, while controlling it with your tablet. The possibilities here seem endless.
While Grove did not say if any games are currently in the works for a controller set-up that would work this way, he did say that it is up to the publishers to come up to OnLive and request a game to be run with these capabilities. Once that happens, OnLive would have no reason not to enable this option.
PICTURE IN PICTURE & CO-OP GAMEPLAY
The limitations of this dual stream feature doesn’t end here. The ability to allow one user to have 2 streams going at once, also opens up even more gaming options that wouldn’t be possible on other video game consoles. For example, multiplayer co-op gaming could become even more interesting. Grove mentioned the ability to enable “picture-in-picture” during OnLive gameplay. This would allow for multiplayer gamers to actually play on the large screen, while watching what their co-op teammates are doing on the smaller screen (via picture-in-picture, or even another device).
The majority of these aspects would require additional coding on behalf of the games’ publishers/developers, but it is something that Grove seemed to think would be coming in the future.
ONLIVE’S VIRTUAL LIVING ROOM
Grove also went on to discuss another feature that OnLive is working on.
“We haven’t enabled it yet, but we have a feature that we’ve been working on, called the Virtual Living Room. Two kids can come home from school; they want to play LEGO Batman. However, instead of having to come into the same living room, they can be on the other side of town. They are coming into a cooperative game, that was just built as a cooperative game, and now they can play that same game together over OnLive.”
All that OnLive is doing in this case is feeding the same input stream into the two different locations. This is something that should certainly give the service an edge over other gaming platforms.
ONLIVE’S FRIEND ASSIST
One other thing that Grove spoke briefly about, was something that we heard of before. We heard it being referred to as “Game Swap” in the past by OnLive VP of Engineering, Joe Bentley. However, Grove referred to it as “Friend Assist”.
“We also worked out, when we started playing around with similar technologies … Friend Assist. So I’m struggling with a particular piece of the game; I can call up a friend on [OnLive], and I can give them control of the game. And they show me how to get through that level. Then they hand me back the controls.”
Friend Assist will allow gamers to let their friends jump right into a game and take their controls over, no matter where in the world they are located. This is another feature that non-cloud based gaming platforms couldn’t possibly allow.
All of these new features only seem to be a small part of what OnLive has planned for the future. The possibilities for OnLive really seems endless.
What do you think about these future gaming elements that OnLive could be adding to their service in the future? Do you like the ideas of “Friend Assist” and the “Virtual Living Room”? Do you think picture-in-picture would be a useful addition to co-op gaming? Do you like the idea of being able to play OnLive via Wii U-like controls? Let us know at OnLiveFans.com Forum

Hello,

Thank you for ordering the OnLive Game System! Due to the overwhelming demand coinciding with our UK launch, we’re running behind in shipping game systems. We’re thrilled there’s so much interest for the OnLive platform in the UK, and we’re working hard to process all the orders. We sincerely apologise for keeping you waiting.

At this time, we estimate your OnLive Game System will ship within 12 days of the date your order was submitted.

While you’re waiting, use this code in the OnLive Marketplace for one FREE GAME of your choice:

[code was here]
(Code is valid until 31 October 2011 at 11:59 BST)

It’s our way of saying “thanks” for your patience and support. You can play on your PC or Mac® by logging in at onlive.co.uk, and you can also play on your TV when your OnLive Game System arrives. We will send you a follow-up email letting you know when your game system has shipped.

If you have any questions, please visit support.onlive.com or send us an email at support@onlive.com. Our customer service team is happy to help you.

Thank you very much for choosing OnLive!

Matt Jensen
Community Manager
Player Tag: OnLive MJ

I actually got my console Friday but hey... I'm not going to pass up a free game!

Yea got that today for my missus' console too. Jobs a goodun for a free game!

Worries me how much they are giving away! They must really be in for the long haul.

So let me ask you something. How much bandwidth will playing these games take up? I lived in a shared house and whilst the sound of Deus Ex:HR for £1 sounds tempting i don't know how well it'll work. We have decent internet (decent for where we live anyway at 10mb) so how much will playing the game effect the general internet performance and will there be any ramifications if i suddenly get lower speeds (i.e the game not performing well). This onlive intrigues me but at the same time i am highly unfamiliar with cloud based gaming.

I think I've read it works out at about 1 to 2 gig (download) per hour of play? I'm not 100% on that.

The best way to get an impression of it is to download the pc client, play a few demos and then see how it runs. If I hammer the net all day and try playing the image gets muddy or blurred and it makes playing some games near impossible. Basically because Virgin start to throttle my 10meg connection.

The game still works, the image quality just takes a knock.

But if I restrict myself slightly so I only jump on for a few hours in the evening I tend to get a good 2 hours or so of good quality picture to play. Of course there are also days where I hammer it during the day, then in the evening the Mrs jumps on COD while I sit on the pc on onlive and somehow it still works with a great image quality.

So just test out a few demos for a while and see how the image holds up. I think that's your best bet.

Some games added to the playpack

Red Bull X-Fighters (This may be US only as it's not showing for me)
The Rise of Atlantis
Aliens vs. Predator

Also a trial of Orcs Must Die is on there but you need to cheat to play it
http://play.onlive.com/launch/trial/orcs-must-die

It officially goes on there Wednesday
[Edit]
They fixed the back door way to the trial.

Last edited:

We recently were in contact with Simon Read from New Star Games, and asked him if they were planning on porting any of their titles to the OnLive service.

“I am currently in discussions with a publisher and I know they will be keen to get the game (New Star Soccer 5) on OnLive early next year,” said Read.

While the process still looks a though it is in the early stages, Read seemed to believe that we would see the game released for OnLive, if everything went as planned.

Could New Star Soccer 5 be the first soccer (football) game to arrive on the Onlive Service? Right now it seems like that’s a real possibility. What do you think? Would you like to see this game for OnLive? Let us know at OnLiveFans.com Forum
http://onlivefans.com/showthread.php?12426-OnLive-s-First-Soccer-Game-Could-be-New-Star-Soccer-5

Take a look at the official trailer for New Star Soccer 5:
YouTube - New Star Soccer 5 Official Trailer

2K sale today

Borderlands: £1.75
Borderlands Game Of The Year Edition: £3.50
Duke Nukem Forever: £5.24
Mafia 2: £2.62
MLB 2k10: £2.62
NBA 2k10: £1.75

FREE PLAY HALLOWEEKEND

Fill your weekend with frights and horrors, courtesy of OnLive. Today through Monday, play these scary games free: Orcs Must Die, Fear 3, Metro 2033 and Amnesia—assuming your nerves can take it.

Eagerly awaiting the iPad launch - cant wait.

Bit miffed about having to pay out £40 for a controller, though I will get use of it on Micro Console, Mac and iPad/iPhone so spose its worth it.

It's still not out on iPad and I'm sceptical if it will see the light of day. Just can't see apple allowing this model to run on the device as they get NO benefit at all.

Back
Top Bottom