Next Gen Consoles

So, Microsoft announced that ALL gaming headphones, like the Turtle Beach and Trittons, will NOT have the chat portion of gaming headsets compatible with the Xbox One. Fucking outrageous.

They then go on to proudly announce a partnership with Turtle Beach for new, compatible headsets. Convenient.

Well, if Sony's console comes with a standard line-in port like the PS3 does (along with virtually every other piece of electrical hardware) and allows me to use my Tritton surround sound headphones on PS4, then MS can go do one. I bought my headphones this year, I absolutely love them, but they cost nearly £100. I ain't forking out for another identical but compatible pair just because Microsoft say so.

If I can use my headphones on PS4 then that's that settled in my eyes.

So I can add my Turtle Beaches to my Forza-branded Fanatec wheel that will not work with XBox VCR. Unless they allow USB connection for the wheel, that is.

Not that it matters as I was never planning on returning to consoles but the principle of it is another mark down for the Xbox. One of the strengths of the PS3 was its connectivity with third-party peripherals and devices.

Good for you; my gaming tastes happen to cover a much wider field.

Sorry but you have no idea how wide or narrow my gaming tastes are and your pretentious nature is irritating to say the least.
This thread is about 'next gen CONSOLES' so unless you actually have something to add to that conversation that doesn't basically end up with another pathetic line about how you tbink pc's are better... Kindly butt out.

---

On topic...

I read on eurogamer that we the gamer don't have to pay the activation fees on used games. The actual shops themselves will. We buy the used game, The shop takes a 10% cut, then the rest of the money is split, some goes to Microsoft to 'activate the game' (sly huh) which means, they wipe it from your console and deactivate it. And the rest to whoever made the game.
It will of course bump the price of used games higher and end these deals like 2 for £20.

not long after reading that though major nelson posted that we shouldn't believe any news on how it works until they reveal how at a later time.

Edit
Just read the link above about this exact thing.

It sounds like they have no idea at all and are just running around panicking.

Last edited:
Tbh I think a system that enables publishers to actually get money for their games is a good thing. We've all moaned about the ridiculous nature of "new" 2nd hand games that Game were pushing for just a few quid less than a new copy yet they were receiving all the money for the sale.

However the system needs to be balanced and fair. I'm not sure what percentage, or fixed amount, publishers get but looking at how quickly games depreciate having a transfer system that is priced accordingly would seem fair. So for example a game that is only a month old would cost maybe 15pound + what the seller wants, yet a 6 month old game woul be a fiver, or whatever the shops can sell for these days. Obviously the 35 mentioned is ridiculous when you can pop down to a supermarket and buy a new release for 29!

But overal it should encourage publishers to make meaningful games that continue to hold their value in the longer term, so generic 8 hour shooters quickly become pretty worthless beyond the initial sales period as they rapidly depreciate. But games like Uncharted would continue to give naughty dog revenue, which I think is something good tbh. I'd rather the money go to them than Game, who with us as 2nd hand buyers from shops have pushed the industry to make this step.

Last edited:
It might also cut down on tons of content being pulled from the games and sold as dlc. They'll make their money from all game sales and won't have to pull the dlc out and drip feed it to us to encourage us not to trade in.

This kind of system should be in place already though minus the Microsoft middle men.

---
Edit

I'm thinking now that we might actually get MORE short shooters. They won't be worried about them bring traded in a they get a cut now.

Last edited:
Tbh I think a system that enables publishers to actually get money for their games is a good thing. We've all moaned about the ridiculous nature of "new" 2nd hand games that Game were pushing for just a few quid less than a new copy yet they were receiving all the money for the sale.

However the system needs to be balanced and fair. I'm not sure what percentage, or fixed amount, publishers get but looking at how quickly games depreciate having a transfer system that is priced accordingly would seem fair. So for example a game that is only a month old would cost maybe 15pound + what the seller wants, yet a 6 month old game woul be a fiver, or whatever the shops can sell for these days. Obviously the 35 mentioned is ridiculous when you can pop down to a supermarket and buy a new release for 29!

But overal it should encourage publishers to make meaningful games that continue to hold their value in the longer term, so generic 8 hour shooters quickly become pretty worthless beyond the initial sales period as they rapidly depreciate. But games like Uncharted would continue to give naughty dog revenue, which I think is something good tbh. I'd rather the money go to them than Game, who with us as 2nd hand buyers from shops have pushed the industry to make this step.

Well said. Completely agree. Good to see a mature and realistic opinion on the subject.

I'm really curious to how everyone will feel after E3. They're claiming (Xbox) that they have some exclusives that will blow gamers away. They've been worked on for years so don't expect small xbl games.

If they pull out some great looking games. How many people will sort of swallow the bitter pill o what we've seen and heard and still buy the new Xbox?

I'm really curious to how everyone will feel after E3. They're claiming (Xbox) that they have some exclusives that will blow gamers away. They've been worked on for years so don't expect small xbl games.

If they pull out some great looking games. How many people will sort of swallow the bitter pill o what we've seen and heard and still buy the new Xbox?

my guess sony will have kick ass exclusives too...

tumblr_mnbhqgkPee1sr302to1_500.png

bldsb2vcmaaudqbkjsb8.jpg

my guess sony will have kick ass exclusives too...

I'd like to think that too but Microsoft know they're lacking the exclusive wow factor and will have probably prepared for it. I'm not sure about Sony. Part of me thinks they'll just rest on their laurels a little.
Ideally I'd want to see things from the people behind little big planet, uncharted, ratchet and clank, infamous, killzone, yakuza, metal gear, journey, team ico (how frightening that they teased their new game at the ps3 launch!) god of war... But I can't see that.

I'm leaning very much towards the ps4 atm. Ive got both the 360 and ps3 and the game that has made the difference for me is uncharted and their new one. Most of the other games are multiplatform. And the faster specs should translate to more solid multi games on the ps4, as it was for the 360 for this gen. I hardly play online so that part isnt of interest to me, nor the media aspects of either console.

It might also cut down on tons of content being pulled from the games and sold as dlc. They'll make their money from all game sales and won't have to pull the dlc out and drip feed it to us to encourage us not to trade in.

This kind of system should be in place already though minus the Microsoft middle men.

---
Edit

I'm thinking now that we might actually get MORE short shooters. They won't be worried about them bring traded in a they get a cut now.

Really? I don't think that'll happen. Eliminating used games means publishers now have a captive audience. And in any business with a captive audience, prices are never driven down, they are driven up. Just look at the digital download market on Sony and Microsoft's own online stores. Games retailing at £30 in the shops are £50-60 online as digital downloads.

Lots of people are currently thinking maybe having more profit going to publishers will mean they can provide consumers with cheaper products, but why would they want to do that? The likelyhood is that games will remain the same price and publishers will just take the extra money as profit. If people continue to buy games then they have no motivation to reduce prices.

The cynic in me thinks the prices of games won't decrease, there won't be a viable used market anymore, and we'll certainly continue down the road of expansions, add-ons, all for additional charges. That said, they're gonna have to re-think their pricing strategies for digital downloads soon, I think these are the final consoles to have physical media being sold, the likes of PS5 will be all digital, and people hopefully won't stand for paying £60 for a game.

Last edited:
I believe the reason (and this is just rumoured and has been for years now) that digital games cost £60 because retail shops kick off big time. They've told Sony and MS that if they won't stick to the retail costs as digital, then they won't stock the games in store. Because if Sony undercut the retail cost, people won't nip to the shops to get the games at around the same price. The shops are selling for less because they're taking less of the £60 retail cost.

DLC. After taking to some guys behind the WWE games (well now unemployed), they mention that most DLC isn't made to add to the experience. But made along side the main game and then released after, sometimes free on day 1, to give the customer a feeling that they've invested extra in the title and if they trade it, they lose that. And the more you can drip feed it to them, especially if you have a season pass, the better and longer before their title starts getting traded.

I think we will either see less dlc, because they won't be as afraid of not getting any money from used copies.... no wait...
I get it now. They'll release even MORE dlc probably... because not only will they now get those sales, the original disc sales, they also can get used copies and can encourage those sales by providing loads of dlc through the year. Hold back more dlc, release some around launch. Hold off a little and watch the game gets traded... then throw out LOADS of the held back dlc and watch gamers re buy it.

NItleX4.jpg

I believe the reason (and this is just rumoured and has been for years now) that digital games cost £60 because retail shops kick off big time. They've told Sony and MS that if they won't stick to the retail costs as digital, then they won't stock the games in store.

I can confirm this. And it's more that the shops won't stock the console (on which they make no profit.)

Not much love between them then.

Maybe a reason why this used game malarky was done in retaliation?

Sooner or later we're going digital only. What are these shops going to do? They better behave.

:LOL:

Also check out this guy's reaction to fish moving out the way @ 16:10:

YouTube - Xbox One Reveal: Angry Rant

:LOL:

His whole video made me laugh though. He stayed up all night to the morning to watch the reveal so he might've gone a bit OTT, but his reactions were funny.

From what I have seen and heard, I certainly will not be getting an XBO, and a PS4 possibly in the future, at the first price drop, the redesign, whatever.

For now, my PS3 with PS Plus and XB360 will do me well, I have a massive backlog of games to work through, and that normally only gets bigger, just ordered Crysis 3 today; so I am in no rush to get any Next Gen machine, but of the two coming, I would go PS4 easily. Be very interesting to see what they do with PS Plus on it too.

Never owned an xbox and I probably won't be changing my ways this generation based on what I've seen and heard so far. Said in the past that I will wait for the PS4 slim before jumping into the next gen, but in all honesty I will most likely purchase a PS4 by years end:LOL:

AJS7VHe.gif

Last edited:
Not much love between them then.

Maybe a reason why this used game malarky was done in retaliation?

Sooner or later we're going digital only. What are these shops going to do? They better behave.
The market they operate in is going to almost cease to exist, meaning that these shops will have to re-purpose themselves or go under. In the generation after the coming one, they are going to be as obsolete as the milkman, elevator man or switchboard operator.

New distribution methods will prevail as you see in the TV/film market with Netflix and other streaming services taking a large chunk of the business from rental stores like Blockbuster...

Back
Top Bottom