new football game from ubisoft?

Status
Not open for further replies.

J79

League 1
28 May 2003
manchester
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=232965

Ubisoft is set to release its own football sim - and not just another Pele Wii game, but a 'direct attack' on genre titans FIFA and PES.

That's according to a report on usually reliable French site, Jeux Video, which claims that Ubisoft has been working with "several English clubs" including Liverpool and its captain, Steven Gerrard to develop the game.

What's more, Ubisoft's footy game is said to be due for release at the end of this year.

Nothing's official of course - and we're awaiting comment from Ubisoft - but boss Yves Guillemot has expressed his intent to break into the sports market in the past.

"The sports genre is different - there are lots of good elements there because it is more casual, so it would bring new customers to Ubisoft. So we have something to grow there, and that's what we are doing," he said in 2008.

Is there really room for a third big footy game on the market? With PES floundering a little in recent years there's certainly the possibility of a new contender swooping in to nick the 'unofficial' spot.

But whatever happens, the increased competition can only be good news for gamers and we look forward to seeing what the French publisher can come up with... if it is indeed working on something.

Next-gen football games have been diabolical really, we have to hope that a new one will surpass them, because if not I can only see FIFA/PES making very small steps each year...

Hmmmm, they are taking advice from Liverpool and Stevie. Doesn't bode too well! :D

Would be nice to have another sim on the market though.

Exciting times, I think. Let's not be too cynical, this is just what the market needs to shake up the Fifa/PES duopoly and give them both a firm kick up the arse. And it's also good to see a European developer enter the footy market. This is where the heart of football is, not Japan or Canada (unless they farm the project out to Ubisoft Montreal!:LOL:)

I just hope it's true.:PRAY:

I think that's splendid news, even if it wouldn't be a good game, that would make EA and Konami more alert...

It wouldn't though, A lot of you give Konami (and more EA) to much stick currently and the amount of effort they've put in to get their games this far would take another company just as long if not longer.

It wouldn't though, A lot of you give Konami (and more EA) to much stick currently and the amount of effort they've put in to get their games this far would take another company just as long if not longer.

Not necessarily. Ubisoft will start with a clean slate, and with a good development team and enough investment there is no reason why they can't release a solid football title later this year. I don't buy all this talk of needing 'x' amount of years to produce a decent game. That's excuses and laziness on the developer's part.

If Ubisoft does release a football game it wont be perfect, but with the current state of PES and Fifa they haven't got a lot of catching up to do.

Exciting times, I think. Let's not be too cynical, this is just what the market needs to shake up the Fifa/PES duopoly and give them both a firm kick up the arse. And it's also good to see a European developer enter the footy market. This is where the heart of football is, not Japan or Canada (unless they farm the project out to Ubisoft Montreal!:LOL:)

I just hope it's true.:PRAY:
would rather have south americans doing it

Last edited:
Fantastic news if it's true but with the stupid licences as they are I can't see it happening.
Anything to push the trickle feed top two would be great...

The 'pes-messiah' hasn't flat-out denied the existence of this game and has said that he can talk freely about it soon enough.

Let's make this abundantly clear, I don't hang about on WENB but I went there to see the reaction to this news. It's going to be interesting to see how he juggles WENB with his job at Ubisoft if this news is true.

Fantastic news if it's true but with the stupid licences as they are I can't see it happening.
Anything to push the trickle feed top two would be great...

I'm sure that's a major conisderation for any dev with even remote aspirations for a football game, because I've seen 2 references to Sky sport's Ford football special, one on pes messiah's personal welovepes blog and a random reference on another gaming news site maybe skysports licence is valid on football games??? that would probably cover premiership / laliga and some internationals but for a first outing that would rock

if's buts and maybe's of course

Last edited:
As long as the game is fully editable, I could not careless about Licenses. We have a great footballing, video game playing community, that will do the work anyways.

1. If you dont have licenses, Include 20 slots for leagues, so 20 leagues, and we can organize them whichever way we want. So maybe I want, Relegation to the 20th level of Spanish football (IDK if it exists) so I can do that. Or I just want the world top 20 leagues, no relegation.

2. The most important thing is gameplay, fluid fifa animations, with slow pace and stats meaning something on players, so when I have control of Luka Modric i feel that am capable of doing, what Luka Modric is capable of doing. Please no more games with responsiveness issues.

I think for a starter game, it has to bring those things to be able to survive for one year and develop for another year. Hopefully for all of us football fans they do.

The 'pes-messiah' hasn't flat-out denied the existence of this game and has said that he can talk freely about it soon enough.

Let's make this abundantly clear, I don't hang about on WENB but I went there to see the reaction to this news. It's going to be interesting to see how he juggles WENB with his job at Ubisoft if this news is true.

Yeh Adam just said on the boards that we'll get news before March. He's been hinting loads on his twitter too, so it's definitely coming out. Latest hint he gave was something to do with a big announcement next week.

No chance he'll be able to work on WENB and the Ubisoft game at the same time, talk about conflict of interest!

Yeh Adam just said on the boards that we'll get news before March. He's been hinting loads on his twitter too, so it's definitely coming out. Latest hint he gave was something to do with a big announcement next week.

No chance he'll be able to work on WENB and the Ubisoft game at the same time, talk about conflict of interest!

He's just said on his forums that he's going to be involved with making Ubisoft's football game (edit - or hinted in not so many words). In what capacity, we'll have to wait and see but I guess he'll be involved in promoting the game and PR as that's what he does already. Perhaps he'll be like that John Murphy guy at Konami and deal with fan feedback?

Whatever, we know it's coming out and Adam will be involved. Good luck to him, it must be great to be a part of the development of a football game.

But no way he can stay on at WENB.

Last edited:
Ubisoft will start with a clean slate, and with a good development team and enough investment there is no reason why they can't release a solid football title later this year.

If Ubisoft does release a football game it wont be perfect, but with the current state of PES and Fifa they haven't got a lot of catching up to do.

Let's hope they do start with a clean slate - ie. they don't look too hard at PES and FIFA and try to copy too much of what they've done.

The main problem PES has is that they've stuck with the original game engine and cannot move on. It's little wonder the game has become so stagnant and weak as they've become so limited in ways they can further develop it. They're stuck in a box.

The main problem with FIFA is they've basically just looked hard at what made PES good, and blatantly copied it. Yes, they've taken it a little further, with slightly more manual control and few other trimmings, but essentially, it's a very similar game with many of the ideas ripped straight from PES. I don't see them making any major strides forward in the next few years.

I reckon for any real breakthrough to happen, both PES and FIFA engines need to be ditched and re-built from scratch. This is where Ubisoft might steal a march. If they come at this from a completely fresh angle, no polluting their minds with how PES or FIFA do things, no thinking that they have to mimic the control system that's near identical in both FIFA and PES, but come up with something radical that tranforms the genre, then perhaps we'll see a revolution in footy games. Far easier said than done, but I think it can be done - there have been some great suggestions on these boards as how to rethink the control system, physics, etc.

Realistically, they'll come up with some lame, arcade kick-around that makes PES2008 looks good.

I think next-gen killed video games...i started to realise that i don't really like photo-realistic graphics...to me it's sterile.
FIFA is much better than PES nowadays, but it misses something to hook me...i hadn't played it for a couple of weeks and last evening i played a game and stopped before halftime...i realized i hadn't missed it...
Maybe i'll buy Mass Effect 2 and maybe that can hook me.

To be a litle bit on-topic.
For Ubisoft it will be impossible not to be influenced by both FIFA and PES.
I just hope they learn from the mistakes the other teams made, although i'm not sure i can point out what is wrong with FIFA apart from the manager mode and all the bugs...

They could make some sort of MMOPG where people could make their own teams and their own players and compete online...to me that is a huge opportunity that PES has missed with allthe people who spent hours and hours of editing the game (creating teams and players). It would have been a logical next step for PES at the time of PES5 or 6...that would have given a fresh breath to the game...Let people create their own teams with created players and purchased real player (within a certainlimit of abilities of course) and let them play each other online in a sort of MMOPG Master League...i think that would be a huge success and would build upon the already fantastic community feeling PES have.

Ubisoft could do something similar if they don't have enough licenses...

Last edited:
...i'm not sure i can point out what is wrong with FIFA...

Oh, I most certainly can, and the list is long. :))

I'm not going to type up 10 pages of things that need improved :YAWN:, but the fundamental things that will make the real difference are the controls, the physics and to a lesser extend, the AI.

And when I say controls, it's not so much which button you press to make something happen, but having far more control of your player, how he interacts with the ball and what he can do with the ball. There's so much you can't do...you can't even put spin or swerve on the ball, or even control the power of a shot.

FIFA's so called full manual control is the first small step in the right direction, but it's still generations away from being what I would want. It's still basically a clumsy mess where the cpu decides a huge proportion of what happens.

Last edited:
winston i know exactly what you mean, i feel next gen graphics are too sterile - they are too good to look like the old games so raise our expectations but they aren't near photo realistic or even cinematic stuff, they just look abit clammy in every game - so they just aren't convincing as 'real' rather than just as 'graphics' which we accepted in the past.

Really strange balance.

Well at least we'll get a good idea of how serious Ubisoft are taking the game when we get news of it next week.

As for licenses, they on EA's level in terms of financial power rather than Konami's, so if its not exclusive it'll be getting bought.

Lets just see what happens.

I've read off a few sites that Ubersoft are working "closely with several English clubs, including Liverpool and Steven Gerrard in particular". Guess that means they want to make sure they get the mocap perfect. And hopefully find a way around licenses, but that doesn't concern me much tbh.

What I like about having more football games in the market, is 1) competition, which is obviously good for raising the bar everytime, and 2) seeing all the different creative ideas they come up with.

I've read off a few sites that Ubersoft are working "closely with several English clubs, including Liverpool and Steven Gerrard in particular". Guess that means they want to make sure they get the mocap perfect. And hopefully find a way around licenses, but that doesn't concern me much tbh.

It's interesting that they choose to work with Gerrard, when Torres is PES's cover boy, and also given Konami's close links with Liverpool.

Also, am I right in thinking that the Premier League licence is up for renewal this year?

I don't realistically think that EA would allow anyone else to outbid them for exclusive rights to the Premier League, but then again they did lose the Champions League to Konami. And given EA's financial troubles, they may not be in a position to pay for exclusivity for the Premier League licence. Maybe it's no coincidence that Ubisoft decided to enter the football market when the most coveted licence is up for grabs?

Ubisoft's game may not be the unlicensed nightmare we envisage. As far as I know there is no exclsuivity on Serie A, Ligue Un and the Eredivisie, and they can always get the FifPro licence for real player names.

To be honest, as long as their game includes a powerful editor and support for importing user created kits then I'm not bothered about licences. The community's work has always been better than anything EA - and even Konami - can do.

Last edited:
It's interesting that they choose to work with Gerrard, when Torres is PES's cover boy, and also given Konami's close links with Liverpool.

Also, am I right in thinking that the Premier League licence is up for renewal this year?

I don't realistically think that EA would allow anyone else to outbid them for exclusive rights to the Premier League, but then again they did lose the Champions League to Konami. And given EA's financial troubles, they may not be in a position to pay for exclusivity for the Premier League licence. Maybe it's no coincidence that Ubisoft decided to enter the football market when the most coveted licence is up for grabs?

Ubisoft's game may not be the unlicensed nightmare we envisage. As far as I know there is no exclsuivity on Serie A, Ligue Un and the Eredivisie, and they can always get the FifPro licence for real player names.

To be honest, as long as their game includes a powerful editor and support for importing user created kits then I'm not bothered about licences. The community's work has always been better than anything EA - and even Konami - can do.

The first part doesn't make sense though, as don't Konami have the Liverpool license or something? Can't remember how long they've had it for, but surely Torres and co will be heavily involved with PES 2011?

All this chat has me genuinely excited. Just wish Adam was his usual self and spill the beans early, although he does sound confident.

I doubt they would get away with letting you edit teams to perfection, the licence laws would apply and either EA or Konami would sue their pants off...

Well Konami get away with letting us edit premiership teams very accurately, so why not?

jaygrim said:
Remember this date and mark my words, IT'S GOING TO BE SHIT.

Thanks for staying optimistic lol

I doubt they would get away with letting you edit teams to perfection, the licence laws would apply and either EA or Konami would sue their pants off...

Well, the option file I use with my 360 copy of PES2010 has photo-realistic Premier League club crests and realistic kits with detailed sponsors, so it's been possible to edit teams to near perfection for years, anyway.

What the end user does with the game should be up to them. As long as option files are not being sold off the back of the missing licences.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom