Need for Speed : Shift

Gave in last night and had a go :)

Its....'ok' nothing special at all. Yea its fast, but fast doesnt always = good. Its impossible to control some of those faster supercars.

Dont like the way AI 'snap' into place in front of you - they fishtail over the road like a loose caravan until they find their programmed groove.

Dont think the sound is anything special, especially the skidding effects - overdone.

Finally, the controls being sensitive (i know some settings are above), but to me they again feel like they snap you to a path, which makes it feel twitchy. I.e. you tap the stick left to drift left a bit, but it takes a split second to react, then you kind of lurch to the left and snap straight again.

Overall though, besides all that, its reasonably fun (dont think its better than GRID), but is going up against some competition that will blow it out of the water and it will be forgotten in a few weeks.

Ah well, onto "Blur" next!

Gave in last night and had a go :)

Its....'ok' nothing special at all. Yea its fast, but fast doesnt always = good. Its impossible to control some of those faster supercars.

Dont like the way AI 'snap' into place in front of you - they fishtail over the road like a loose caravan until they find their programmed groove.

Dont think the sound is anything special, especially the skidding effects - overdone.

Finally, the controls being sensitive (i know some settings are above), but to me they again feel like they snap you to a path, which makes it feel twitchy. I.e. you tap the stick left to drift left a bit, but it takes a split second to react, then you kind of lurch to the left and snap straight again.

Overall though, besides all that, its reasonably fun (dont think its better than GRID), but is going up against some competition that will blow it out of the water and it will be forgotten in a few weeks.

Ah well, onto "Blur" next!

By default, the game has a 'steering assist' and 'brake assist' on (not traction control or ABS but something different). Maybe this is what you are talking about?

For me, this is one of the best racing games in a very, very long time. Had a mate over today and we took it in turns on career mode and he reckons its bloody good. He has very high tastes as well. You really have to get into a bit more - a few races dont give you an idea of what its about - its like FIFA 10 in that respect.

The fact that they've made it fun to go around just tarmac and grass tracks is amazing - no one has accomplished that - ever apart from F1 games. GT and Forza are too sim for me to the point of being not fun at all.

By default, the game has a 'steering assist' and 'brake assist' on (not traction control or ABS but something different). Maybe this is what you are talking about?

For me, this is one of the best racing games in a very, very long time. Had a mate over today and we took it in turns on career mode and he reckons its bloody good. He has very high tastes as well. You really have to get into a bit more - a few races dont give you an idea of what its about - its like FIFA 10 in that respect.

The fact that they've made it fun to go around just tarmac and grass tracks is amazing - no one has accomplished that - ever apart from F1 games. GT and Forza are too sim for me to the point of being not fun at all.

I had all the assists off as even at 'low' it was ruining the experience.

Like I said, its 'ok' - I dont hate it and I like all the glitz and points, ranks etc.

I'll keep it and play it some more for sure.

tweak the settings mate and find the best one that works for your needs. if only forza had these settings such has steering deadzones etc

Last edited:

tweek3-296x300.jpg

lots of issues with online play so far:

1. Stupid timer on the game lobbies meaning you got less than 2mins to pick a car and to invite friends into the lobby
  2. 8 players online? WTF its suppose to be 16!!
  3. No settings to force everyone to use certain settings ie force everyone to not use any Asissts
  4. EA nation messanger doesnt say if your friends is online or offline

Those are stuff that needs to be improved im afraid.

I think that's a really good review, and I wish I hadn't bought it, BUT, I am enjoying it for what it is with the slower cars. Once I get a decent amount of achievements I'll be trading it in towards something else, maybe Dirt 2 seeing as everyone's raving about that.

I think that's a really good review, and I wish I hadn't bought it, BUT, I am enjoying it for what it is with the slower cars. Once I get a decent amount of achievements I'll be trading it in towards something else, maybe Dirt 2 seeing as everyone's raving about that.

Finally Chris!

jonnymendoza :HAND:

Can get £25 off in game for NFS:S if you trade in a certain game such as Fight Night, Madden 10 etc might do that today.

Finally Chris!

jonnymendoza :HAND:
Chris if you think dirt 2 is any better than your in for a rude awakening.

Chris, try these settings one last time
There is now a 2nd fix for the sensitive steering/oversteer problem this game exhibits in its default settings. And let me tell you it is a NIGHT and DAY difference.
Please use 2nd fix along with the original thread suggestions on turning down sensitivity in the control options.

I have posted the original sensitivity config here:

Steering Dead Zone-15%
Accel Dead Zone-10%
Brake Dead Zone-10%
Steering sensitivity-5%
Acell Sensitivity -5%
Brake sensitivity-5%
Speed steering Sensitivity 100%

On to the 2nd fix:

At the main menu enter CAR GARAGE----> TUNING, press 'Y' to enter quick tuning mode.
Under the heading 'balance' move the slider all the way to OVERSTEER. That's right oversteer. Apparently the developer labeled this slider wrong or its a glitch. Turning the slider to oversteer will actually add understeer.

Now go drive. as you can see the cars are now more comparible to the feeling of Forza2 and RacePro. It may not be as good but it is now close! There was a sim hidden somewhere in all this mess and I may have to take back some to the nasty things I said beforehand :)

(Special thanks to Torque Spike for finding this on the EA forums!)

Last edited:
Is that for all cars though Jonney or just the ultra-fast ones? Because I don't have a problem with the slow cars.

Just onto a challenge race. Viper v Ford GT. Really frustrating. I dont feel like I can attack any of the corners in the Viper at speed.

this game just suffers from the "hard = realistic" syndrom the early GTR installements had...later on the dev team admitted that they knew the physics were off, but the challenge of mastering the 600 hp lister / 550 etc. just felt good for the gamers.

still, if in real life real endurance drivers would have to face something as hard to drive over a time span from lets say 4 hours in a regular race it would be humanly impossible.

same problem i have with this, it at times feels impossible to keep cars on the road.

would bugatti have handed the veyron to captain slow at top gear to take it up to 400 km/h if it was absolutely impossible to keep on the road even in a straight line? doubt it.

this is a fun game and all but i am really having trouble to find out where they actually came up with their driving model.

oh btw this just came to my mind after spending a few hours tweaking tier 2 and 3 cars :)

I'm glad I waited to see how this game was before ordering/buying it, doesn't sound very good at all...

I'm glad I waited to see how this game was before ordering/buying it, doesn't sound very good at all...
Many people have rated this game highly as well some not rating it. at the end of the day whos to say YOU wont enjoy it?

i personaly love this game dispite its faults. the actual driving is bloody brilliant and thats the most important feature for me, the gameplay.

most of my negetivity of this game are based on game modes. the gameplay itself is as good as forza imo.

more challenging...:) but it isn't supposed to be i think. whatever. if you guys enjoy it...as long as you don't start to call it the real driving simulator. ;)

Back
Top Bottom