Need for Speed : Shift

the line assist can be turned off during the races in some options menu.

i really like how you can modify your cars. and some of the physics are excellent. it will sell because it's got the nfs badge on, but somehow i can not really see a big market in the future for this with forza 3 and gt5 coming up.

i played it on the 360 version and here is a short summary after nearly an hours worth of play.

Graphics:

Not has good as the videos i have seen but looks better than forza 2.

Sound: Loving it but when the car skids in the round the sound is a bit too high.

Gameplay: Best part of this game is easily the gameplay. it feels a bit like GTR evo with all aids off. i tried two cars. one was a slow audi car you get to buy at the begining of career mode which i though the handling was a bit too easy with all assists off but when i played a race on a manufacture type race where you and the AI have the same cars, it was difficult and hard to drive!

That was with some Honda (think it was a honda S2000)car and it was faster and more powerful off the blocks then the audi car i started off with!

Overal this is a must buy for anyone looking for a forza type of game. The handling physics from my initial impressions are VERY good and not floaty as well. it seems as though the car has a firm grip on the track at the appropriate speeds.

The sense of speed and adrenaline is better than forza 2 and gt5p imo.

Loved it and will most definetly buy this now! if only ea came up with a demo early on! I got a feeling this may equal the handling and physics found in forza 3.

This new franchise has HUGGE potential and im not surprised given the fact that the people beingd GT L and GTR2 are behind this.

in a nutshell? its a cut down GTR2 engine under the hood but with next gen graphics. its challenging enough for any racing fans with all aids off. it may take less time mastering this game than GTR EVO/R factor but this is nowhere near a pick and play arcade game.

Last edited:
the line assist can be turned off during the races in some options menu.

i really like how you can modify your cars. and some of the physics are excellent. it will sell because it's got the nfs badge on, but somehow i can not really see a big market in the future for this with forza 3 and gt5 coming up.
i think their will be. Add in 300 more cars and 100 more tracks and you got yourself a forza/gt type game

exactly, and i am not sure we need another of those tbh. at least i do not. i actually would like this more (and i do like it anyway) if it was closer to pgr 4 - action packed, more arcade racing but still somewhat realistic.

I played with a pad and the Force feedback from the bad is brilliant!

Every little bump on the track or collisions you have with other drivers you feel it from the pad. i think its one of the best force feedbacks i have had on a control pad!

cant wait to try this on my i7 rig with my g25 wheel. It really is a good game. Another thing is the AI is very challenging at hard settings! i kept on coming last! had to bump it into medium lol

i dont like the fact that you get points for ramming into people! Hope we can arrange some clean races amongst us!

Some hard on collisions doesnt really mess up your car as in not being able to race on it anymore but the physical damage is there and similar to forza 2's physical damage.

i think the damage internal from the car is a bit weak as you can still race ok when you just had a full on collision on a barrier or something.

When i crashed into a barrier head on, the physical aspect of teh car was fucked but i could still drive it. only difference internal i can see wrong with the car was that the steering of the car was just a "tad" difficult. If this was in forza or even GTR Evo, The car would have been obsolete.

So the negetive points i have found of the game are:

Loud skidding noises.
Weak Car damage (internal)

Thats all the negetive aspects of the game i have found so far.

The noises the cars make when there damaged is good as well, they rattle and whine and all others sorts of noises

Pity the career is pretty shit

Career is shit ? seems pretty varied to me quite a few tracks and structure is in tiers and its split up into different events drifting, to car battles to normal races and time attacks.

I find it boring, maybe its the fact that you dont need to win races to progress or the money is too easy to come by, i dunno

man I gotta get this or Dirt 2. I like Dirt even though it is an arcade racer. Shift's long loading times are putting me off that game this week.

Got it sitting on my desk here unopened as I doubt I'll have time to play it (and with better racers on the horizon, I dont see it having a long term future).

May just send it back to ShopTo...

Got it sitting on my desk here unopened as I doubt I'll have time to play it (and with better racers on the horizon, I dont see it having a long term future).

May just send it back to ShopTo...
So why did you purchase it in the first place?;)

At chris, You tried adding aids on and off such has stability control? it may help

It really is pretty good. Very customisable - cars, assists, even controls like deadzone areas on the sticks etc.

Really one for the racers though.

That said, Im not a massive racing fan and am enjoying it as well as dirt. Very different games though.

Jonney, started out with no help switched on, then turned it all on. It's down to the sensitivity.

I'm not getting rid of it just yet, I'm getting a wheel next month as a birthday present so I'll see if that helps. Better had because it'll be worth £15 less by then...

Will give this a go tonight. IGN and gametrailers never mentioned the handling being an issue. If it is I will have to try and sell it. I do have a wheel I just cant use it without a racing seat.

Jonney, started out with no help switched on, then turned it all on. It's down to the sensitivity.

I'm not getting rid of it just yet, I'm getting a wheel next month as a birthday present so I'll see if that helps. Better had because it'll be worth £15 less by then...

Worth having the wheel anyway for Forza3/PGR.

read this:

For those having trouble with oversteering and so on, here are some fine adjustments I found on the Gamefaqs forums. They work really well!
They improve on the steering and accelerating, overall controls are MUCH better now
icon_smile.gif

Steering Dead Zone-15%
Accel Dead Zone-10%
Brake Dead Zone-10%
Steering sensitivity-5%
Acell Sensitivity -5%
Brake sensitivity-5%
Speed steering Sensitivity 100%

Playing with the slower cars is far better but I can play with slow/fast cars on Forza, PGR or any other game, and notice a difference, but not to the point where I literally can't keep the car on the road.

Still, I haven't tried those settings yet, I'll give it a go now.

Playing with the slower cars is far better but I can play with slow/fast cars on Forza, PGR or any other game, and notice a difference, but not to the point where I literally can't keep the car on the road.

That shows the power of the bigger cars :)

I started with the settings posted earlier. Had 3 races. The handling does feel slightly off for me but its nowhere broken or makes the game unplayable. I started with all the assists off and AI at medium. I like it so far. Loading times are a joke though.

i tried the settings and it seem to improve a bit. i think you will need to adjust it according to what you want from it

Back
Top Bottom