Need for Speed : Shift

The thing that puts me off the cockpit views in all games is how limited your view is of the track and cars around you.

It's like your 4ft tall with 8 ft arms driving from the back seat of the car.

You see far too much roof, just driving my car tonight, you have a decent size of widescreen and when your driving you look out of it, the very top of your cone of sight you see the roof, but overall you dont see the bottom of your steering wheel, nor nearly as much of the dash. I know developers want to show off, but unless your doing a multi screen set up, just let it be. I race in Bumper cam view. I use chase view when using motorbikes as I cant get used to the screen moving so much when on wheel view in those games.

I hope the gameplay on this is like PGR4 - I think it had a near perfect mix between arcade and sim.
The skill in PGR was getting the right lines, carrying speed into and out of corners, knowing when to go flat out etc. not about just focussing mainly on keeping the car on the road like in ultra-sim games but you couldn't just hold the accellerator all the way round and would be rewarded if you used proper racing lines and picked the right braking points.
PGR4 with damage and a tad more oversteer would be my ideal racing game.
(I know Chris says PGR was a joke online because of Kudos, but i've VERY rarely seen anyone win by just doing drifts and stuff, there's a limit on how much you can get per race too)

I normally play on the camera where you can see the bonnet of the car, I find it much easier to hit the apex when I know where the car is pointing - the only thing third person views are good for are to defend your position imo.

@Holio - agree about the bikes, very disorientating having your view tilt when you turn!

How does this compare with Codemaster's GRID?

I found GRID was just way too arcade for me to really enjoy. Even though it had nice gfx, decent sound, good sense of speed, etc, I just couldn't play it for more than a couple of laps without getting fed up with the primary school physics.

This need for speed looks tempting, but given its history, I fear it will lean too much towards the arcade, no matter thedevelopment team's background.

Out of interest, what are the starts of races against the AI like? Does every AI car always make an immacualte start every time, ala GRID?

But do you then find yourself easily catching them all up and whizzing past them at the first corner, ala just about every racing game ever made?

And are the collision physics heavily biased in favour of AI cars, ie. they hit you, you go spinnning, they remain nailed to the track, but if you hit them, you go spinnning, they remain nailed to the track.

Or even worse, are the collisions like the non-event collisions in Gran Turismo - ie. nothing happens.

How does this compare with Codemaster's GRID?

I found GRID was just way too arcade for me to really enjoy. Even though it had nice gfx, decent sound, good sense of speed, etc, I just couldn't play it for more than a couple of laps without getting fed up with the primary school physics.

This need for speed looks tempting, but given its history, I fear it will lean too much towards the arcade, no matter thedevelopment team's background.

Out of interest, what are the starts of races against the AI like? Does every AI car always make an immacualte start every time, ala GRID?

But do you then find yourself easily catching them all up and whizzing past them at the first corner, ala just about every racing game ever made?

And are the collision physics heavily biased in favour of AI cars, ie. they hit you, you go spinnning, they remain nailed to the track, but if you hit them, you go spinnning, they remain nailed to the track.

Or even worse, are the collisions like the non-event collisions in Gran Turismo - ie. nothing happens.

I played this for a bit so I can answer some of yout questions.

1 I feel its more simulation than arcade, even though i played with a few assists on.

2 Didn't notice how the AI started the races, I sucked at them.

3 I couldn't easily catch all the cars on the first corner, just the last few maybe.

4 Collisions are awesome, and they seem fair with regards to human-cpu bumping.

5 Oh the collisions are eventfull, just before a corner I heard something like "good job" from my team and thought the race was over, so I didn't turn at all and hit a cpu car sideways at full speed and the cpu car flipped, it was awesome. :)

I played this for a bit so I can answer some of yout questions.

1 I feel its more simulation than arcade, even though i played with a few assists on.

2 Didn't notice how the AI started the races, I sucked at them.

3 I couldn't easily catch all the cars on the first corner, just the last few maybe.

4 Collisions are awesome, and they seem fair with regards to human-cpu bumping.

5 Oh the collisions are eventfull, just before a corner I heard something like "good job" from my team and thought the race was over, so I didn't turn at all and hit a cpu car sideways at full speed and the cpu car flipped, it was awesome. :)

ok, thanks for your opinions

Basically I've got Dirt 2 on order which hasn't been shipped just yet, should I cancel it for NFS? I'm trying to decide but struggling. Can anyone give an opinion if you've played both.

I would say Dirt 2 is more fun and it has the flashbacks to help you should you make big mistakes and NFS is more realism and concentration

I wouldn't know which to choose tbh, We have more of a laugh on Dirt 2 because more thrills and spills happen, NFS would be kinda boring if your watching and not playing so its more of a 1 player thing because it only grabs the person playing

If you dont play them with mates get them both :)

I have just borrowed a wheel and had a few races with it and it makes the game alot better still

No calibration at all its just all works flawlessly, so add speed, sounds, graphics and now a wheel to make big plus points to this.

On another note i would watch how loud your bass and sound is if you have a 5.1/7.1 because this dont half make some noise :LOL:

Does anybody know how much this game wil retail in the shops next friday for the pc version? at shopto its going for £26. is it too late to pre order from their? if i pre order now will i recieve it friday or a day before?

It's not too late to pre-order until 6pm on Thursday, and if you order before Thursday you will usually get the game on Thursday, Friday at the latest.

How many AI cars per race is the maximum?

Is it possible to have races that more than just 2 or 3 laps? What is the maximum number of laps?

Is the damage modelling any good and are there teminal crashes? If so, does that apply to both human controlled and AI cars?

Any weather conditions or night time racing?

Eurogamer don't like this - and they liked the infinitely shit Champ Man 2010 so it's got to have problems:

SHIFT is a solid basis to start building a motor sport series on. It's got all the features you expect, it looks fantastic, and the track action is exciting, if fraught. If the skittish handling and overbearing, messy advancement can be reined in, Need for Speed could have a future in its newly serious and somewhat crowded surroundings. But with the infinitely more comprehensive Forza Motorsport 3 and Gran Turismo 5 looming in the very near distance, it's hard to see the point in this second-stringer this time around, for console players at least. And given Need for Speed's recent, confused history, you shouldn't count on it wearing the same face next year.

I was going to pre-order it but I'm not sure now, there's a few reviews that say the handling isn't as realistic as it would claim. They reckon it's a bit weird and I didn't realise there were "drift" races and "Kudos-style" points which I absolutely hate in a racing game.

I want to try it but without a demo I have no fucking clue what I'm spending £30 on, and I can't trade it in for Forza because I want the pre-order with the exclusive car code.

Don't know what to do now.

"Had a huge crash"
"leading the race"

Nice updates on my friends list, we need that in Fifa

lol this guy on my friends list is having a lot of huge crashes

I need to get this game

the problem i have with this is you can clearly see it was intended to be a really realistic game...until ea stepped in.

now it has the useless stuff like points for dirty driving which i guess you have to do in order to achieve everything in this game. booo.

Still partly tempted by this one, just for a bit of on-line fun. Couldn't give a crap about the career mode or racing against AI.

Only problem is, I won't buy it unless I know that when playing on-line, every time we start a new race, there'll be a huge pile up a the first corner as half the kids in the race take endless glee in wrecking their way into it top speed. No racing game is worth it's salt unless you're race is over before turn 2. Being wrecked by annoying kids is where it's at.

Man i just had a go at this and its definetly NO GRID type handling! i turned every single aid off besides the suggested lines which i cant see an option to turn off(big NO NO) and damm this game is VERY challenging to drive. not very easy and doesnt feel like an arcade racing game. its pretty similar to how forza 2 handles!!

With anyone thats tried this game,how do you turn off the suggested lines?

I was going to pre-order it but I'm not sure now, there's a few reviews that say the handling isn't as realistic as it would claim. They reckon it's a bit weird and I didn't realise there were "drift" races and "Kudos-style" points which I absolutely hate in a racing game.

I want to try it but without a demo I have no fucking clue what I'm spending £30 on, and I can't trade it in for Forza because I want the pre-order with the exclusive car code.

Don't know what to do now.

Been playing a fair bit of this and alot i like, but the drift why oh why do we have to
have it.If you don't like drift racing, i know i don't then i wouldn't buy without trying first as there is a fair bit of it, it's not really racing more an event.

Back
Top Bottom