MMA thread

Dam that shame would be good to see him fight in UFC i think it should be final step for him really.

fedor was the ufc's number one target and they even offered him millions which they don't tend to do with fighters but fedor never came, not sure we will see him soon in the ufc, believe me they tried as much as they could to get him and still want him, it is fedors decision for whatever reason (i think its more to do with not just being fedor but his entourage, his brother and other fighters etc), and as a subsequence alot of the new ufc fans don't know or don't know much about fedor because dana white has not pushed the bandwagon like he does with ufc fighters. if fedor had of signed with the ufc he would of been branded the badest man on the planet, since fedor turned down the ufc dana white pushed randy as being the best heavyweight etc, and look how that turned out randy is now out of favour with the ufc, is not allowed to be mentioned in the ufc, wont make the hall of fame.Currently in a legal battle with the ufc and has one fight left on his contract and randy has always wanted to fight fedor as he is the cream of the crop and the ufc couldn't make this happen, (so randy is sniffing around another potential org and they are trying to make that fight happen, but only time will tell if the legal side of it can be sorted) Goes to show how easily fighters can be hyped or destroyed

but fedor regardless of any hype is an emotionless cyborg - he is elite

it is a shame one org although ufc has done a great job taking MMA to the level it is out, can rule the roost as alot of it is politics, when the ufc bought pride, pride was the other huge contender and alot of the great fighters you see in the ufc today were originally from pride, anderson silva, wanderlia silva, big nog, cro-cop (not now),rampage, shogun, werdum to name a few

and this used to do tournaments which i have to say were amazing, but the ufc bought pride out and took over the fighters contracts, and announced they could make the dream match up fights because they owned the be best fighters, this never really happened and they couldn't sign fedor either as he was at the end of his contract pride, although ufc have put some good fights together they could be doing alot more.

with other orgs comeing through, elite xc, affliction, the ufc are trying to kill them off quick because of the competition means they either have to pay fighters more money and the fighters have other options ( for example look at the other night, affliction have a ppv card, the ufc quickly throw together a card with one of there biggest names, silva to move up a weight, hyped the fight and put it on free tv in american, WHY? because it was on at the same time of the affliction PPV, to help kill the PPV figures of affliction, clever stuff by the ufc right there)

gotta think in the usa they have to pay medical bills, and insurance costs alot on a fighter over there, so when the ufc only pays the fighters 250k a fight, now this is to the biggest name at the time, the fighter has to pay training camps, fighters, insurance, life style

fighters get nothing of the ppv revenue unlike boxing where they make millions as a fighter

other orgs are threatening this with the ufc but it is a shame it is not one big org called MMA where all the best fighters are in one place for our dream fights

edit: actually an interesting article related to something i mentioned above

full article here http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/affliction-fedor-prove-mma-is-bigger-than-ufc-13755

thumbnail_crop.php

Then there is Fedor Emelianenko (Pictures) -- White’s big “what if?”

From the start of the pay-per-view bouts, Emelianenko received the biggest pops. His cheers overlapped Megadeth’s performance. Russian flags popped up throughout the audience.

Celebrities were ever-present -- featuring such stars as James Toney, Manny Ramirez and Michael Madsen -- but the Red Devil fighter shattered assumptions that he lacked drawing power when he brought about bigger cheers than all the celebrities combined simply by showing up on the big screen.

Each fight received progressively louder fan reactions. Even referee Herb Dean (Pictures) was cheered by fans, a sign they appreciated more than brain rattles and limb torques. By the time Emelianenko demolished the former UFC heavyweight champion in 36 seconds, the arena was deafening.

There is a reason money magnet Donald Trump -- a man who garnered a serious ovation himself -- involved himself with Affliction and the World Association of Mixed Martial Arts, which crowned its inaugural champion in Emelianenko on Saturday night. Trump sees the long-term monetary gain, the impact on the sport. Indeed, UFC President Dana White’s current model of exclusivity was directly challenged when Emelianenko became the first independently recognized champion.

What better fighter to mark a starting point in MMA history?

The defunct nature of Pride left Emelianenko without a viable strap, but it did not strip his credibility as an elite pound-for-pound fighter and the heavyweight king. Had Sylvia won, Dana White could have championed his criticisms of Emelianenko. But instead he has to retract them. With Emelianenko having twice dominated current UFC heavyweight champion Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira (Pictures), White is left with little recourse to continue perpetuating the UFC as the entire MMA world. His steadfast anti-anything-not-UFC stance has taken a concussive blow.

Meanwhile WAMMA -- like the fighters and personalities that came out to make Affliction a success -- is setting the most positive precedent in MMA since rules and weight classes were instituted. Whether Affliction sinks or soars, the belt around Fedor Emelianenko (Pictures)’s waist is a direct call to make MMA a unified sport, to create battles between the best of the best.

Will the UFC president give up his hard-line position?

Maybe it’s time for Dana White to sell out.

Last edited:
Nice one good insight there into the goings on i had no idea what real problem was i heard that negotiations broke down though when tried before.

Question lies though who really being prat in all this is Dana being or is it fighters wanting more money and Dana not liking it what is reason. ? I mean im new to UFC so dont know all what gone on but certainly could see why Fedor is hesistant to go if they just build them up and break them in UFC.

Thing is though if Fedor dont go to UFC wont people start to think he dodged it for reason. ?

Having one big organisation like Boxing would be fucking awesome

lets hope if it does happen they keep the cage and not the ring :))

Thing is though if Fedor dont go to UFC wont people start to think he dodged it for reason. ?

just to answer this one for you mate, fedor has destroyed big nog twice in pride , big nog is now the heavyweight champ of ufc.

big tim sylvia was the ufc heavyweight champ for a while and remained a contender when he was not

fedor destroyed him in 36 secs lol

randy coutore is the only real fighter from the ufc who could give him a worry, but i still think fedor would destroy randy(randy is in a legal battle with ufc right now, if ufc had fedor then the fight would happen, but they havn't and randy can't fight in the org fedor is in until the mess is sorted)

ufc heavyweight is a bit rubbish really, it needs a fedor

ufc having fedor, anderson silva , GSP and bj penn would have the best fighters in the sports from there weight classes

Live on setanta tonight!

FIGHT CARD:

Main Card Bouts:
-Georges St. Pierre (#1 Welterweight in the World)* vs. Jon Fitch (#2 Welterweight in the World)*
-Kenny Florian vs. Roger Huerta
-Brock Lesnar vs. Heath Herring
-Demian Maia vs. Jason MacDonald
-Manny Gamburyan vs. Rob Emerson

Preliminary Bouts:
-Cheick Kongo vs. Dan Evensen
-Andre Gusmao vs. Jon Jones
-Steve Bruno vs. Chris Wilson
-Tamdan McCrory vs. Luke Cummo
-Ben Saunders vs. Ryan Thomas

I'm looking forward to Lesnars fight...
63wdnkh.gif

if he can beat up a shark then he can definitely beat up a herring

God Damn, Lesnar is boring! Guy needs to learn how to use submissions!

Heath Herring is washed up and was finished 2 years ago. UFC Heavyweight Division sucks big time..

Bingham67, Fedor never went to the UFC as they wouldnt let him fight in Russia or compete in Sambo which is the national sport in Russia. Plus I not sure if Fedor wanted his whole red devil team to be signed. Fedor does not need the UFC, I hope he doesnt join them to be honest as Dana is a prick!

There is only two fights left for Fedor and that is against Josh Barnett and Randy Couture..

This is what Fedor said about it "The contract that we were presented with by the UFC was simply impossible, couldn’t be signed — I couldn’t leave.

If I won, I had to fight eight times in two years. If I lost one fight, then the UFC had the right to rip up the contract. At the conclusion of the contract, if I am undefeated, then it automatically extends for an as yet unspecified period of time, though for the same compensation."

When UFC purchased Pride they screwed up big time as the not all the contracts were transferable. They paid $65m for a video library and even that they havent got fully as pride had deals with fuji tv. Dana thought he would of been able to run pride shows and get tv deals etc after the whole Yakuza scandal. UFC has not got a major TV deal in Japan so what chance would pride have after the scandal.

Having one big organisation like Boxing would be fucking awesome

lets hope if it does happen they keep the cage and not the ring :))

I wouldnt like to see that. I prefer MMA fights in the ring and also it is great that organizations like K-1 Heroes, Pancrase and Shooto still exist.

Last edited:
I agree Kobashi.

It was a boring Lesnar fight but it's good to see him get his confidence back. After a few more fights he'll be one hell of a competitor.

I agree Kobashi.

It was a boring Lesnar fight but it's good to see him get his confidence back. After a few more fights he'll be one hell of a competitor.

He is very quick for such a big guy and his size will cause anyone problems.. Shame he is fighting in a divsion which has not got any really great fighters. I don't think lesnar is someone who is gonna finsish guys. He will take a fight to points more often than not. He had full mount position on Herring 3 times but never really had any idea how to finish him off. He still has loads to learn.

If UFC have any sense they will keep him away from Nogiuera and Gonzaga. Lets hope GSP fights BJ Penn soon. Penn is one of my all time favourites so I wanna see him put GSP away.

Last edited:
Was good event i thought better then i was expecting thing with Lesnar is he needs to learn more and maybe introduce some different styles to what he mainly knows.He certainly got alot of power and strength but as said he dosnt seem to want to finish fight when he in good position to.

Main event was cracker Fitch sucked up everything got to give credit to him amazing job but Pierre was to good in end.

Penn/St. Pierre II Official for Jan. 31st

UFC 88 (September 6th, Atlanta): Liddell/Evans, Franklin/Hamill, Parisyan/Yoshida, Henderson/Palhares

UFC Fight Night 15 (September 17th, Omaha): Diaz/Neer, Danzig/Guida, Alexander/Schafer, Lauzon/Bradley

UFC 89 (October 18th; Birmingham, England): Bisping/Leben, Machida/T. Silva, Jardine/Vera, Sokoudjou/Cane, Carwin/Wain

UFC 90 (October 25th, Chicago): A. Silva/Cote, Sanchez/Alves, Sherk/Griffin, Franca/Tibau

UFC 91 (November 15th, Portland): Florian/Stevenson

The Ultimate Fighter 8 Finale (December 13th, Las Vegas): no fights announced yet

UFC 92 (December 27th, Las Vegas): Nogueira/Mir

UFC 93 (January 31st, Las Vegas): Penn/St. Pierre

http://www.cagepotato.com/2008/08/22/pennst-pierre-ii-official-for-jan-31st/

Fuck off Setanta

I didn't even realise they had The ultimate Fighter as well!!!!!!!!

Cunts

Ooooo that's a great fight

I can see Couture just getting Brock in some kinda of submission very early though

i can see lesnar winning this

even though randy is much more experienced, lesnars game plan is simple and randy is not the greatest at submission, randy takes them down and wears them out

don't think lesnar will be took down easily and he has brute force and could probably take randy down

will be an interesting fight that is for sure, both good wrestlers, randy normally has a good game plan

as inexperienced as lesnar is, randy will need his A game against this freak

Still a fair bit away from the fight but if I had to pick a winner right now, I'd vote for the legend. Lots can happen till then though.

But anyway, I'm not exactly excited about the fight anyhow.

St. Pierre vs. BJ Penn is what I've got my sight set on. And hopefully we'll eventually see the two Matt's who hate each other so much throw it down.

Serra vs. Hughes. Is this gonna happen?

Nice avatar by the way dude. Gonna save it. ;)

UFC Last Night ... without spoiling anything... what a KO! Wow!

Indeed that was insane.

Didnt think it was best PPV altogether though Matt Brown and Dong Hyun Kim was very close to call Kim being eventual winner but could of gone either way for me.

Franklin and Hamill wasnt bad fight though was all about main event that KO was awesome from Evans really looks impressive.

http://www.cagepotato.com/2008/09/07/liddell-ko-earns-evans-immediate-title-shot/

Set to face Forrest should be cracker. :)

YouTube - Evan Tanner tribute video

Former UFC Champ Tanner Dead at 37

A body believed to be that of former UFC middleweight champion Evan Tanner was found Monday in the Palo Verde mountain area, the Imperial Valley Press has reported.

Calls to the Imperial Valley sheriff’s department and coroner’s office were not immediately returned.

Tanner, 37, had embarked on a camping trip some time around Sept. 2 into the desert-like region north of Brawley, Calif., approximately two and a half hours east of San Diego.

Sherdog.com has ascertained various unconfirmed reports that Tanner’s body was identified Monday and that relatives have been notified. An autopsy is said to be scheduled for Tuesday.

Deana Epperson, who grew up across the street from Tanner and his family in his hometown of Amarillo, Texas, said she'd been told that the fighter had texted friends in Oceanside as late as Thursday, telling them that he'd run out of water and gas for his motorcycle. Authorities were then contacted to try and locate the fighter.

Tanner had last been connected to the Compound Mixed Martial Arts & Fitness gym in Oceanside, Calif. Co-owner Claudia Ortega said she and her husband had reached out to Tanner a year ago after he had visited the facility. In recent weeks, Tanner had moved back to the area and visited the gym on a few occasions to train.

Ortega said Tanner told her he planned to “take a couple of trips,” then settle at the gym.

“He wanted to make it his home,” said Ortega. “”We really wanted to see him succeed in any way he could.”

Tanner was a self-made mixed martial arts standout. A two-time state championship wrestler in high school, he made his professional debut on a whim with the Unified Shoot Wrestling Federation in 1997 and defeated three opponents in one night -- including eventual UFC title challenger Paul Buentello -- in one night to win a heavyweight tournament. He would later defend the title against Pride Fighting Championships and UFC veteran Heath Herring, among others.

He enjoyed his greatest success in the UFC. Tanner won 10 of his first 12 fights with the promotion, losing only to Tito Ortiz and Rich Franklin. His UFC run was highlighted by his upset victory over David Terrell at UFC 51 in February 2005, as he stopped the Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt on strikes to capture the middleweight championship. Tanner relinquished the 185-pound crown in his rematch with Franklin at UFC 53 four months later, as he absorbed a brutal beating after knocking down the popular Ohioan with a right hand in the first round.

Tanner, the first American to win the Pancrase Neo-Blood tournament in Japan, lost four of his last five fights. He made his final appearance inside the Octagon at “The Ultimate Fighter 7” Finale in June, as he dropped a split decision to Kendall Grove in Las Vegas.

Tanner had recently started his own blog in association with SpikeTV.com.

“I've been sitting around this apartment, bored to tears, waiting on the last of the gear I need for the desert adventure to come in the mail. I've really been looking forward to getting out there,” wrote Tanner. “It seems some MMA websites have reported on the story, posting up that I might die out in the desert, or that it might be my greatest opponent yet, etc. Come on guys. This isn't a version of "Into the Wild". I'm not going out into the desert with a pair of shorts and a bowie knife, to try to live off the land. I'm going fully geared up, and I'm planning on having some fun.”

Back
Top Bottom