Liverpool Thread

Kewell has gone off injured :( ............After hitting the crossbar twice, it sounds like H has hurt his ankle. :x

Update.............Apparantly kewell has a "dead leg" I hope that's all it is!!

england22 said:
can u tell me the lineup for the game ?

1st half team

Dudek
Carragher
Hyypia
Babbel
Riise
Murphy (Captain)
Hamman
Smicer
Kewell
Owen
Baros

Subs:

Mellor

2nd half team

Kirkland
Vignal
Henchoz
Traore
Diao
Gerrard (Captain)
Diouf
Cheyrou
Le Tallec
Pongolle
Heskey

england22 said:
ok thanks a bunch mate ..

so the score is 0-0 and kewell is injured? :l
1-1 (owen) scored for us, Pongolle and le tallec are supposed to be playing well.......Only trouble is that liverpool keep hitting the woodwork............4 feckin times!!!!

Liverpool could only manage a 1-1 draw against Crewe this afternoon.
Crewe scored after 18 minutes but Michael Owen levelled for the Reds just before half time.
Kewell hit cross bar twice before going off injured.
Heskey missed a sitter when one-and-one and Mellor also missed good opportunities.
The French gems has great games and were very unlucky not to score themselves.

BAD NEWS- From liverpoolfc.tv

"Liverpool face an anxious wait before discovering the extent of the ankle injury sustained by Harry Kewell during this afternoon's friendly at Gresty Road.

The Australian international limped out of the Reds' 1-1 draw with Crewe Alexandra and will undergo a scan tomorrow.

He left the field clutching his left ankle and manager Gerard Houllier admits he fears the worst.

He says: "He got a bad knock on the ankle again, the same he hurt at the training camp in Switzerland. The doctor has put some ice on it. We will scan it tomorrow and we shall see. But it doesn't look good. When the doc says he has to have a scan you always fear the worst."

Hopefully its not as bad as first feared and he will only be out for a few weeks. The bad news is that he could well miss the rest of the pre-season and struggle :(

Misfit said:
LThe French gems has great games and were very unlucky not to score themselves.

Tell me more about the froggies, I haven't been able to see them play... what type of players did they remind you of?

eatontj said:
Misfit said:

Tell me more about the froggies, I haven't been able to see them play... what type of players did they remind you of?

subbutteo ones :shock:

loz said:
eatontj said:
Misfit said:

subbutteo ones :shock:

Wow, I have never had something go over my head faster... what in the hell does "subbutteo" mean? :oops:

its the old table soccer game thingy and no they(french GEMS)are nothin like them.Believe loz was mistaken.He probably thought you were enquiring bout the whole of the spurs "wannabe" footballers.As for sinama pongolle and le tallec,only time actually seen them play was in the world youth championships and they look pretty decent.Didnt fare too badly in le championnat last season as well although le havre were relegated

Ah yes, well then kudos to Loz for your excellent insult toward Le Tallec and Pongolle.

I was just curios as to how the duo played in the Crewe-Pool matchup. Liverpoolfc.tv seems to think they did quite well, just wondering if anyone else saw it.

Only those who actually went to see the game will know how they played as it wasnt on tv over here. They did broadcast audio commentary on the Pool website but that wouldnt give you much

Maybe we will get a mention in tomorrows papers

Just found this from www.liverpoolfc.tv

The long wait is over. Almost two years since we first heard the exotically sounding names of Anthony Le Tallec and Florent-Sinama Pongolle, we finally witnessed their first appearance in a Liverpool shirt this afternoon.

In the un-exotic surroundings of Gresty Road the French youngsters made their eagerly anticipated bow for the Reds and on first impressions it was worth the wait.

Gerard Houllier has enthused about the pair ever since he first went to watch them star for France in a FIFA under-17 tournament and now we know why. Of course, it's still early days but potential of both was clear to see as Liverpool's preparations for the new season continued with a 1-1 draw against First Division Crewe Alexandra.

Le Tallec played just 46 minutes, while his Pongolle managed only 26 minutes but that was all we needed to see of them to know why the Anfield boss describes them as gems.

Le Tallec's creative midfield play was a joy to watch. His passing and awareness were of a very high standard and despite his slim build he was not afraid to get stuck in. As for Pongolle, the so-called 'Little Bomb' almost made an explosive start to his Liverpool career when he struck the post just nine minutes after coming on. He'll no doubt be disappointed with himself for not converting from six-yards out but in the short space of time he was on the field he looked sharp and equally as exciting as his young compatriot.

As for the actual match. How Liverpool did not win this one by at least ten clear goals remains a mystery.

The Reds surprisingly fell behind on 19 minutes. David Wright crossed from the right and David Vaughan rose to glance a header past the out coming Dudek. It was a goal that came totally against the run of play, for Liverpool had dominated the opening stages and they continued to do so despite the setback of conceding.

Crewe keeper Clayton Ince was in inspired form to deny Milan Baros on countless occasions while the width of the Gresty Road cross bar twice denied Harry Kewell his first goal in a Liverpool shirt.

In his first appearance for the club on English soil Kewell, occupying a central position just behind the front two, showed glimpses of why his arrival at Anfield as caused so much excitement among Liverpool fans. With some delightful touches of skill and eye-catching forward runs he looked a constant threat but the half ended on a worrying note as he pulled up with what looked to be an ankle injury and was immediately withdrawn from the action.

Moments after Kewell left the field Liverpool finally drew level with a goal their first half performance fully deserved. Not surprisingly it was Michael Owen who got his name on the scoresheet again. After seeing an earlier chance superbly kept out by a low diving save from Ince he made no mistake with a close-range header at the far post following a corner on the right by Riise.

As on Wednesday, wholesale changes were made at the break but Liverpool maintained their rhythm and continued to lay siege to the Crewe goal. There was no beating Ince, however, who continued to amaze with a series of outstanding saves and even when he was beaten the Crewe net led a charmed life, with Pongolle and Heskey both being denied by the upright.

People might look upon this result as disappointing but the scoreline is of little importance at this stage of pre-season. The performance is what matters and this was an impressive display and a useful run-out for every player involved. Not least the two French gems. Expect to be hearing a lot more about them in the coming months.

Barcelona has confirmed that they are aiming to sign long-term Liverpool target Djibril Cisse.When asked about the possibility of signing the 22 year-old French forward from Auxerre, Barca president Joan Laporta responded: "We're in negotiations with the aim of signing him".
However, sources close to Liverpool have told us that the Premiership club has first refusal on the youngster.
Cisse was the leading goal scorer in France in the 2001-2002 season with 22 goals.

ClassicD said:
Misfit said:
If we can get 5mill for him,thatd be great
You're surely joking? £5m? 5 bob more like! How much did Liverpool pay for him?

we got him for around five,im hoping for at least 3 to be honest although doubt we'll even sell him

actually im just hopin they would be back for the start of the season.But it has been reported that they will be back for the amsterdam tournament

Misfit said:
actually im just hopin they would be back for the start of the season.But it has been reported that they will be back for the amsterdam tournament

whose in the tournement this year???

so I take it the scousers are getting giddy about the kewell deal??

I heard we played 4-3-1-2 formation with Kewell in the free role...and it was working pretty good(even tho we lacked width)...and then Le Tallec played there and did well(as we know)....

I think Ged can do no wrong with us playing more attackive football, as long as the defence can sought it out at the back we could substain a strong challenge for the title this upcoming season....

Back
Top Bottom