Legendary is awesome - Game Difficulty Discussion

NACK22

League 1
22 April 2003
I've come to the conclusion that Legendary mode is the most balanced setting for this game.

Here's a rundown

Pro - Far too easy and cpu hardly attempts on goal unless it's inside the box or deflection, tries to walk it in half the time.

World Class - Such a borefest with so many midfield ball winning going on, and the cpu hardly makes a mistake when passing and allot more wtf happens when playing on this setting.

Legendary - A breath of fresh air as the cpu still plays good but the pressure on you is only in various stages during the match like after you score which it should be.

And the amount of misplaced passes the cpu makes compared to world class are much more realistic. Teams seem to play how they do in real life and it feels the cpu cheats less overall.

On world class when a dubious thing happens you just know the cpu is going to score, but on legendary it's not always the case which makes games feel so much more random.

I played with Newcastle lastnight vs lower ranked teams to the highest ranked sides, and each team I played seemed different in way i've always craved in a fifa title and each match seemed exciting as it could go either way. It's so strange that if set to world class there seems to be not as much variety.

I just thought i'd lay down my thoughts to see if anyone else has had this experience or is it a case of me going mad?

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Legendary is awesome

I'll give it a go too, with some tweaked custom tactics to see if I can get any enjoyment out of playing the CPU.

I havn't tried Legendary yet because I thought it would involve even more superhuman cheating from the AI... I suppose it's a bit like on PES5 where 4* or 5* were (imo) harder than 6*.

Sounds promising. But playing lower ranked teams on Legendary is just irritating. You'll have teams like Leyton Orient play like Barca. At least that is what I've been experiencing.

I'll give it a go too, with some tweaked custom tactics to see if I can get any enjoyment out of playing the CPU.

I havn't tried Legendary yet because I thought it would involve even more superhuman cheating from the AI... I suppose it's a bit like on PES5 where 4* or 5* were (imo) harder than 6*.

That's what I thought but it's a bit of a mixed bag.

Sometimes you'll get thumped by superior teams and other times you can outplay them.

Lower sides can be god awful and easy to beat whilst other times they can put the pressure on an turn you over.

I've actually scored quite a few headers on Legendary that I wouldn't have scored on World class.

But what do I know i'm a tit.

Ok bygones, unless you're an Arsenal fan called Adam? ;)

Sorry for ruining your thread :(

No hard feelings pal, I can see how it would be construde as an ego trip but this topic and many others seemed to get overlooked in the fifa 10 thread where as I just wanted to confirm my observations about it.

Dinner at mine tonight at 8? I'm cooking reindeers balls!

P.S I'm a long suffering Newcastle fan

I don't see why there has to be at least five difficulty settings to a football game. I know I'm probably blinkered about this as I've never (besides post ironically) played a football game at less than 3/5 since the SNES days, but are there people that really find ramping up to two stars difficult? My nan could play one star FIFA and win most of the time, and she's dead.

Will try this. Seems interesting but surely the CPU will play less realistic on it than World Class. Nonetheless will report back

I posted in the main FIFA thread couple of days ago that I felt that it was much more realistic and easier playing on Legendary. I feel that on World Class the AI is designed to simply stop you from playing, on legendary the AI is more "free" they attack you more and therefore leave more spaces in midfield which allows you to build attacking plays. Also love that on Legendary when you score the AI reacts by becoming more offensive.

I posted in the main FIFA thread couple of days ago that I felt that it was much more realistic and easier playing on Legendary. I feel that on World Class the AI is designed to simply stop you from playing, on legendary the AI is more "free" they attack you more and therefore leave more spaces in midfield which allows you to build attacking plays. Also love that on Legendary when you score the AI reacts by becoming more offensive.

I agree.

Teams play like they should and you can tell the difference between playing chelsea and wigan.

Got stuffed 3-0 by chelsea one game as I made to many mistakes but then the next game I nicked it 1-0 with me as the better team.

Wigan I played and drew 1-1 then west ham I beat 2-0 it's just allot more random instead of the world class borefest

I've never played Fifa on any other level than the hardest (except for in the demo). I love the challenge and that my mistakes are fully punished by the computer. Plus, Fifa is challenging enough that it makes me fear losing which keeps the game fun.

I suggest everyone play every sports game on the hardest level. The worst thing that can happen in a sports game is to become too good for the CPU and win everything all the time. That's what killed the PES series for me.

It also had me stop playing the Madden, NHL, and NBA2K series for a while... but now that I'm getting back into those after a few years I'm finding them fun again too. The hardest levels are the best, make the CPU put up a good fight.

For Fifa 09 I've never noticed any cheating by the CPU on legendary. "Cheating" to me is making the CPU players artificially better (i.e. making them unrealistically super fast) or making my players artificially worse (i.e. my players can't control the ball all of a sudden). I've played hundreds of MM games in Fifa 09 in many leagues and have never seen some of the complaints of "cheating" on Legendary mode. Yes, my players/goalies will make mistakes (or experience bugs) but not any more often than the CPU players. I've never felt cheated.

Anyways, my thoughts.

I've never played Fifa on any other level than the hardest (except for in the demo). I love the challenge and that my mistakes are fully punished by the computer. Plus, Fifa is challenging enough that it makes me fear losing which keeps the game fun.

I suggest everyone play every sports game on the hardest level. The worst thing that can happen in a sports game is to become too good for the CPU and win everything all the time. That's what killed the PES series for me.

It also had me stop playing the Madden, NHL, and NBA2K series for a while... but now that I'm getting back into those after a few years I'm finding them fun again too. The hardest levels are the best, make the CPU put up a good fight.

For Fifa 09 I've never noticed any cheating by the CPU on legendary. "Cheating" to me is making the CPU players artificially better (i.e. making them unrealistically super fast) or making my players artificially worse (i.e. my players can't control the ball all of a sudden). I've played hundreds of MM games in Fifa 09 in many leagues and have never seen some of the complaints of "cheating" on Legendary mode. Yes, my players/goalies will make mistakes (or experience bugs) but not any more often than the CPU players. I've never felt cheated.

Anyways, my thoughts.

The only area I think the cpu cheats is on catching up the fastest of players when they have a 10-15 yard headstart.

It's always been in fifa and is still in this one, it's strange that on the higher levels the player switching seems to go to pot which is something they should have fixed for this version and that can be viewed as the cpu cheating.

Hope the next patch they balance the difficulty settings so it's more realistic and where players stats count no matter what setting you have it on, but I wont hold my breath.

Played two games just now on legendary, I could play it around alot more and that was very nice and I think when I get used to it (Get better at the game) then It will be my prefered choice.

But I played as Arsenal against Wigan and Sunderland and they could attack really well. But as some people has said this means that more space opens up.

I play on all manual aswell, so it is quite hard, but I will be sticking with legendary for some time now as it feels better than Pro and World class.

Thanks for opening this thread ;))

The blossoming friendship or Nack and Placebo has really touched my heart today :DD

Yeh I think the difference is in World Class they pressurize you more and sit back. A lower league side mentality if you will they'll hustle you about and all that. Legendary seems like their much more adventurous and even leave a few forward when you attack. I'd say its probably easier to Score than World Class but you won't get as much possession and they'll go for goal more often.

exibition matches only, or MM also?
i would think that the cpu god makes his appearances at 'appropriate' times in MM.

I've been playing BAPS on legendary as on Pro your teammates play like 7 year old retards and on WC they still dont play well and the opposition are cheating beasts. Legendary is definitely a lot fairer.

Just had the best game I've had on FIFA 10 :D

Playing as Liverpool v Hull, it felt so much more like a proper game of football, much more time on the ball. Hull kept the ball well when they had it and weren't afraid to take shots, making Reina work.

Hull go 1-0 up in extra time, then it was just all pressure from me with Hull hoofing it everytime they got the ball. Torres gets the ball about 25 yards out, angles himself some space and fires a goal in the 118th minute to equalise, I jumped out of my seat :BOP:

Definately staying on Legendary!

I tried a LS 2.0 match, Wigan me v Wolves, was 0-3 to them at half time, every pass they tried was completed perfectly, no fun, quit at half time.

Back
Top Bottom