Haze (PS3)

Hazeflop.gif

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! His face!! :lol:

I just can't help but look at it as a bit of a Halo rip off/copy for PlayStation. I've downloaded the demo but not actually played it yet, so I'll give a proper judgment of it then.

Some guy on AVF got this yesterday and loved it - came on AVF saying how good it was and to ignore the reviews. He actually made it sound good.

He has now just sold it on the classifieds! :D

Says its worse than Turok and cheesier than Army of Two. Loads of bugs, glitches and apparantly in the 2nd half of the game, the controls are terrible.

Just a warning chaps before you all rush out for this tomorrow :LOL:

haha... im getting it with a credit note so i wont be that arsed if it stinks. I'll post my thoughts on here around dinner time anyway

One annoyance ive read it split screen is vertical ONLY... fuck knows why teyve done that but i cant play vertically... although ill have to see how it looks on my tv - im used to looking at vertical splits on a sdtv and its too thin... but it might be ok on the tv i have now

Eurogamer ripped it a new @rsehole in its review. The last bit is especially harsh:

You really have to wonder how it all ended up this dreadful, especially after all the time and resource Ubisoft and Free Radical expended telling people the opposite. The combat's weak, the storyline's excruciating, it's technically deficient - Haze really is this year's most significant gaming disappointment. The fact that the creative forces behind this moribund excuse for a blockbuster feel that it is BAFTA-worthy has to be one of the most tragically comic examples of self-delusion we've ever witnessed.

Eurogamer ripped it a new @rsehole in its review. The last bit is especially harsh:

You really have to wonder how it all ended up this dreadful, especially after all the time and resource Ubisoft and Free Radical expended telling people the opposite. The combat's weak, the storyline's excruciating, it's technically deficient - Haze really is this year's most significant gaming disappointment. The fact that the creative forces behind this moribund excuse for a blockbuster feel that it is BAFTA-worthy has to be one of the most tragically comic examples of self-delusion we've ever witnessed.

Ouch!

I have this game guys got it off ebay with a £10 discount voucher so only cost me £24. I've given it a go and think it's entertaining enough. Certainly keep me busy until MGS4 comes out. Not a keeper though.

Anyone fancies a game give us a shout. Single player is pretty poor and would be nice to check out the multiplayer with a few evo-web boys.

Last edited:
The misses has just gone into town to pick a copy up for me so ill be on it today -- ill try the solo mode first but this afternoon ill be around for some online play - co op or versus modes.

-

Games here and noticed it says in big letters on the back 'FREE DOWNLOADABLE CONTENT'

Last edited:
Right I've just broken free of mantel and done a few bits since.

The games fine... no where near a 4 / 10 score, more like 7.

Stuff worth mentioning

Melee combat is crappy, if you miss them the first time the turn circle is that slow that you cant get around to hit them again before they've blown you away.

Graphics are xbox 1/ps2 standard in most areas and then they'll suddenly switch into COD4.

Grenades don't go as far as i want them to... but their not the worst ive seen.

I wouldn't say its bad, ive found nothing yet that makes me think 'this is shit' - but ive not found anything that makes me say 'now THAT is awesome'

Im guessing playing the entire game in co op with 3 other players would though.

-

Not tried multiplayer yet... will do this afternoon if anyone has the game and is online.

I think if you like the demo and like your FPS games pretty linier and story driven then you'll enjoy the game... but its not a game that would make people buy a ps3 for.

Further thoughts

IGN were talking bollocks when they claimed the Mantel soldiers are useless and very easy to kill and that they never used the nectar powers apart from when you're on their side.

I'm playing on Normal and died a few times early on as mantel so its not easy sailing against the rebels and later when you're a rebel ive been killed numerous different ways. From being dumb enough to get up close to them and suffering a nectar melee instant kill to being killed from a grenade to being run over to being sniped. They've kicked my ass!

Theres no way the AI is as bad as ign claimed.

Graphically ive only noticed a tiny amount of glitching. Early on there is a scene in the chopper where one scene ends and another starts and you get a split second of black screen as one ends and the other starts. Shouldn't be in the game but hardly going to ruin it.

But ive yet to see anything as bad as ign said.

- Vehicles handle a little strangely. I was expecting and hoping for Halo style controls but its more stiff than that. Its hard to explain, it's not bad... but its not exciting. They get the job done and the assault vehicles are great fun when you have men with you... but they could have made the vehicles a bit more fun maybe? I dont know.

The story of the game that ign shat all over, i actually like. They were going on about bad acting and bad voice overs along with a painfully forced and dull story to follow.

Complete shit

The voices are great. cut scenes other than a little glitching very early on like i mention have been fine. Story wise im liking it... i REALLY REALLY want to kill the mantel bastards who you turned against and im really into it.

-

I've played a few games. Had connection errors with 2 of them which seems to be the typical PS3 online thing to happen on launch.

It plays ok though, nothing that will drag people away from COD4 or RV62. I'd have to play it more to get used to the maps and to figure out the best tactics on the assault maps.

Co Op is awesome... ive only played it with 2 other people so im gagging to go all out and get a 4 man team going and play through. The ai isn't bad and hasn't got in my way as ign say but they do have a tendency to stick to the ai path and lag behind you at certain sections where the game obviously want you to take out the next bunch of soldiers and not leave it to your ai teammates.

-

Anyone else got this and have any thoughts?

Last edited:
I will have to rent it to play offline co-op with the missus, or I'll trade Uncharted in for it if I can get a good deal (don't want to pay more than a fiver or a tenner if it's going to be as poo as [most] people make out).

There are very few (good) games with offline multiplayer though, so it will be rented at some point.

Totally agree Radiation I'd give it a 7/10 aswell.

Oh and to add to your points... that crap about the AI being poor is rubbish. I've been flanked a few times and they sneakily hide near corners and have snipers all over the place.

Multiplayer is good, been booted off the servers a few times though.

Had a strange thing where I hit a checkpoint died and then when the game reloaded it seemed to load all the textures behind me but nothing in front of me.

Almost as if the game was loading the textures for everything before the checkpoint.

As soon as i drove forwards I fell off the map and into nothing and died and reloaded and it was fine!

--

Fun game still. The single player has been good stuff. Really tough in places on normal especially when you are swarmed with mantel guys. Kinda disappointing that you don't get any ai help at certain points in the story mode as it would help a lot BUT co op play is still AWESOME. I played a bit of 4 player co op online last night... i could have died it was that good.

All of us had mics and it was great to hear 'someone cover me ive running round to flank' 'mantel behind UUUUSSSSSSSSS' 'grenade out' 'someone get in the truck with me, im gonna go and run those bastards down'

One annoyance is that rockets are lame - the splash damage is useless and it takes 4 or 5 or more to destroy vehicles.

Multiplayer wise... its great stuff. the sides are really well balanced and for all the traps and weapons stealing and forced overdosing you can do on the rebel side its all countered really well with the nectar powers. I'm really struggling to find a side i prefer being on.

as the games box says there is some free downloadable content to come and the sooner the better because there are only 5 or 6 MP maps. 2 of them i hate (pow camp and nectar mines) 3 i adore (airship style one, shanty town and erm... another that looks like a shanty town)

But they need to add more and add in a CTF mode

Back
Top Bottom